Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,515 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will the menu at Cosmic change at all?
Beef Cheek
AG
Yes, the cosmic location will be a simplified menu. Don't expect to see beef cheeks, brisket or bacon ribs there
agcrock2005
AG
Really like his sausage videos. Have learned quite a bit from him. Sad another one down.
CDub06
AG
Where'd you end up on Saturday?
maca1028
CDub06 said:

Where'd you end up on Saturday?

We didn't make it to either, took longer than expected and had to get back to my side of town.
tsuag10
AG
Blu Lacy Smokehouse in Castroville today.

Brisket was excellent. Top 10-15 level
Ribs were also very good. Top 20 level
Sausage was good but not great.
Beans and Alsatian potato salad were both solid.

Definitely a better plate than I've gotten at several of the previous Top 50 joints. I look for them to make an appearance on the list.

DatTallArchitect
AG
What were the rest of their side offerings?
G-Town Cracker
AG
Fancy digs!
tsuag10
AG
Mac & Cheese which looked amazing, and elote (Mexican mayo corn)
NColoradoAG
tsuag10 said:

Blu Lacy Smokehouse in Castroville today.

Brisket was excellent. Top 10-15 level
Ribs were also very good. Top 20 level
Sausage was good but not great.
Beans and Alsatian potato salad were both solid.

Definitely a better plate than I've gotten at several of the previous Top 50 joints. I look for them to make an appearance on the list.

This is the new place from one of the 2M guys right? His wife has a bakery next door IIRC
NColoradoAG
G-Town Cracker said:

Fancy digs!

Jess Pryles put up a video of the new joint today as well
tsuag10
AG
Yes. I believe that is correct
DatTallArchitect
AG
It will be interesting to see how they fair on the next list with those limited sides. While you still need great smoked meat, sides have definitely proved to matter when trying to move up the list.
tsuag10
AG
That's true
JCRiley09
AG
Nvm
CDub06
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

It will be interesting to see how they fair on the next list with those limited sides. While you still need great smoked meat, sides have definitely proved to matter when trying to move up the list.
I had dinner at Desert Oak in El Paso on Sunday night. First time at the new location and first time having dinner there. It was good. Better than expected for a Sunday night in El Paso.

I also visited Skinny's BBQ, who took over Desert Oak's old spot for lunch yesterday. The meats were good enough. But the sides...eesh. The potato salad was still icy and the first (and only) bite I took gave the idea of potato salad ice cream... Utterly unappetizing.
tex2000
AG
Had blood bros bbq today, the brisket was very good & moist although it had several not totally rendered fat parts. The sausage was black pepper & one of the best I've had. The best parts were the sides their cream corn is the best corn side dish I've had & the brisket fried rice was excellent. I wish they had a 2 meat 2 side plate as the food was $48 for just myself. It was very good though.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
The new L&L building is sweet. Wish I took pictures, but brought one of my kids and was a bit occupied. I tried some of the new stuff: Smoked chicken with 'bama sauce was outstanding. Horseradish potato salad is very flavorful. The sliced beef just doesn't hit the spot like a good sliced beef cheek does. The Italian beef was awesome…I wish it were more filling at $15.

The star of the show…drumroll please…the onion rings. Holy ***** These are hands down the best tasting rings I've ever had in my life.
CenTexSmoke
That's correct. Same guys who own 2M. The pitmaster (Esaul) and his wife had Baked next door. It's great stuff.
Jock 07
AG
Gonna be at Lackland for work for a week next month. Any solid spots in the area? Is Pinkertons downtown the best option to take my coworkers?
Jock 07
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Anybody have any intel on Giddings City Market BBQ? I was reading the newsletter for The Daytripper show and they mention Ms. Tootsie (Snow's in Lexington) is involved somehow?

Just catching up on this thread after it fell off for a while. I had always wondered what had happened cause growing up I remembered Giddings being really solid and then all of the sudden it wasn't. Always wondered what had happened. Then the Netflix show that featured Snows highlighted the fact that Tootsie and her husband used to own it but subsequently sold it. Then I realized what had happened and why it went into decline.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Reese Bros
Jock 07
AG
Thanks, looks outstanding, I'll have to check it out.

BBQ in CO today. While still good their brisket has been much better on previous trips.
Beef Cheek
AG
Is that a beef cheek on the right?
Jock 07
AG
It is indeed, and was a lot better than the brisket today
SoTxAg
AG
Thought this was an interesting bbq discussion.

Koldus131
AG
I meant to post that on here last week. Awesome video, and appreciate that he recognized Texas BBQ's superiority.
FightinTAC08
AG
I went to Cattleack in Dallas last week. Still some great BBQ there.

They are now open on Wednesdays and I don't think its really caught on yet. there was two people in front of me at noon.

Also, at 130pm that same day they emailed the subscribers to get 20% off their orders for rest of the day when you mention the secret word.
Koldus131
AG
Shhhhhh don't let the secret out
DonaldFDraper
AG
What's Franklin like on a Friday or Saturday these days?

If we wanted to wait in line, what time do you need to be there?

Can you still place regular pickup orders or only larger catering size?
agcrock2005
AG
I can't answer that as it's been 10 years since I did it. What I can tell you is the worst mistakes I made were:

- No chairs
- No dominoes
- No beers (think they sell it now maybe)

I hate lines but I was moving away from Austin (don't miss anything but the BBQ) and decided I'd give it a try. Was very good.
agcrock2005
AG
Any idea what liquid some of these top BBQ places are adding to their meats to keep them wet after cutting? I've seen several places doing it.
Koldus131
AG
Just a bunch of beef tallow I believe
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea it's definitely some beef tallow.

Here is a nice tallow option for the home cook.

https://www.southchicagopacking.com/products/wagyu-beef-tallow?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5tHC6cTjhAMVGDrUAR0koQwaEAAYASAAEgI_wvD_BwE
agcrock2005
AG
Figured it might be a tallow mixture for the beef, but when I saw Hurtados do it on pulled pork I was thinking maybe it was something different. Thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.