Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,514 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

I've never been to the spring Branch location but the one at Greenway plaza has always been excellent. Surprised to hear that about Feges.

Maybe I just caught them on an off day. It happens. But that's all I have to go on and it's out of the way for me so hard to justify going back anytime soon.
schmendeler
AG
That's understandable.
TXAG 05
AG
JCA1 said:

schmendeler said:

I've never been to the spring Branch location but the one at Greenway plaza has always been excellent. Surprised to hear that about Feges.

Maybe I just caught them on an off day. It happens. But that's all I have to go on and it's out of the way for me so hard to justify going back anytime soon.

I went to the new spring branch Feges a couple weeks ago and agree. It was all good, but nothing to go out of my way for. Their greenway location was much better when I went there, but that was a couple years ago.

Pinkerton's and Truth are both pretty close. Just wish Gatlins wasn't so hit or miss since they are right around the corner.

JCA1
AG
And let me just add, a scant 10 years ago and what I'm complaining about today would likely have been the best BBQ in town. Houston BBQ has come a long way from Goode Company and Hickory Hollow.
TXAG 05
AG
Just hit J Bar M in EADO. Very good.
Grown Pear
AG
I had Eaker's BBQ in Frederisburg this summer and it was absolutely fantastic, one of the all time best I've had.

I feel lucky I live 3 min from Truth so it's my go-to spot on saturdays if I'm in the mood.

LJ's in Brenham is consistently good.

Have been trying to make it to Snows for a while and just can't get over there yet unfortunately. Really want to try them out.
Mathguy64
AG
We went to Snows a couple of months ago, not too long after they opened back up. Got there at 7 am and there were more than 200 in line. There were multiple RVs on the street. We turned around and came home.

I've been several times and never have I seen it like that. It was a zoo.
Koldus131
AG
Netflix's fault
Grown Pear
AG
Got my Truth BBQ Gameday BTHO Ole Miss lunch! First time trying the corn pudding and collard greens. Both very good and will get again.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Collard greens are an underrated southern food/barbecue side
AggieFabricator
I like your BBQ palate. Folks in the Brenham don't know how good they have it. Truth and LJ's are maybe 3 miles apart on the same road. Really enjoyed the time I spent up there working on a big plant project in Burton.
AggieFabricator
Will report back shortly.
TikkaShooter
Been over an hour, so I'm going to guess the meat sweats got him. Been there. 2M is fantastic.
AggieFabricator
A Sunday lunch at 2M is the among the best in the state, I think these guys are a top 10 joint every day of the week. Brisket was great, as most places with the prime cut, a rich slice of fatty goes a long way for me. The unsung hero to me here is always the pulled pork. I'm not a pulled pork fan, I never order it anywhere. It's beyond excellent here, especially on a tortilla with pickled onions and pickles. Street corn,Mac & cheese, and the beans were great. Turkey and ribs were great as well. 2M is always one of my favorites, and it's always consistent.
JCRiley09
AG
Just had Daynes Craft BBQ (top 50 in FW). Saw the smoker from AggieFab behind the trailer. And the food was incredible. Even after getting it to go and traveling about 20 minutes , it was great. Brisket, sausage (jalapeño havarti), and ribs were top notch. The brisket pork belly didn't do it for me, but everything else was a home run. I think the frito pie beans were the best side, but the Mac n cheese and elote were great. The atmosphere at the food truck park while we waited for our food really brought it home; farmers market, live music, open air bar. Really great all around.

TejasAg
AG
That's good to hear. I enjoyed Willow's back when he had his truck, excited to give this place a try next time I'm in Houston.
Matsui
AG
Good to hear. I have been there a couple of times and really enjoy it.
AustinCountyAg
whats the green stuff on the pulled pork?
JCA1
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Just had Daynes Craft BBQ (top 50 in FW). Saw the smoker from AggieFab behind the trailer. And the food was incredible. Even after getting it to go and traveling about 20 minutes , it was great. Brisket, sausage (jalapeño havarti), and ribs were top notch. The brisket pork belly didn't do it for me, but everything else was a home run. I think the frito pie beans were the best side, but the Mac n cheese and elote were great. The atmosphere at the food truck park while we waited for our food really brought it home; farmers market, live music, open air bar. Really great all around.

AggieFabricator
Some sort of Verde sauce that comes included in the pulled pork. They pull and mix it up right in front of you on the block, and squirt that green sauce on the meat as they mix it up. Whatever it is, it's the best pulled pork I've ever had.
Tailgate88
AG
AggieFabricator said:

Some sort of Verde sauce that comes included in the pulled pork. They pull and mix it up right in front of you on the block, and squirt that green sauce on the meat as they mix it up. Whatever it is, it's the best pulled pork I've ever had.

Pulled pork verde?! That sounds delicious. I believe I will have to make some of that this weekend. I will just whip up my normal pork Chile verde sauce, pull the slow cooked pork, mix it in and serve on tortillas!
agfan2013
AG
Had a two day trip through the D/FW area this week and made two stops at top 50 places.

First was Panther City:

Very solid experience, the burnt ends were phenomenal, ribs and brisket were both good but not blow your mind great. Sides were good. I can easily see top 50, but not sure I'd have them #10.

Hutchins was next:

Brisket was ok, but the pulled pork was dry, had a weird texture, and not that flavorful. Sides were good and it's serve yourself buffet style so for a flat price you can cram as much as you want in one of those paper boats so that's nice I guess. Not bad bbq, but I don't see top 50. They had a drive through line as well, so I think they crank out a ton of volume where the consistency is going to be harder to control.
agcrock2005
AG
Which Hutchin's did you go to? I've always had great foot at the McKinney location and the Frisco location has been great 75% of the time.
agfan2013
AG
I was at the McKinney one
Saxsoon
AG
I too thought Hutchins was underwhelming at best, mediocre at worst in McKinney
CDub06
AG
Wow. Yeah, Hutchins (McKinney) is one of my favorites and has been consistently excellent on each of my visits. Even when I've been there for dinner.
schmendeler
AG
Definitely an uptick at corkscrew. Got here at 10:00am and normally grab a low single digits number but had to settle for 15. There's a huge group of people set up with donuts and stuff.
schmendeler
AG
Turns out part of that big group is the owners of Feges. Barbecue worlds colliding!
Beef Cheek
AG
Went out to Lexington this morning

schmendeler
AG
Dayum!
schmendeler
AG
What time did you get in line? When did you get your food?
Mathguy64
AG
I could eat the ribs and pork steak at Snows all day long.
Beef Cheek
AG
I was there with Chud and some of the LeRoy & Lewis crew, we rolled up at 10am, ate at about 10:30 after chatting with Clay… def not the full experience
schmendeler
AG
I forgot you're an insider!
Objective Aggie
AG
Coming back from Aggieland and decided to give Goldees a try for late lunch.

Yes out of most stuff but almost no wait so worth it. Chopped sandwich and sausage.

I have to say it was quite good. Unbelievable friendly service. Would have really wanted brisket or ribs. But I will be back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.