Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,479 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They should still have food at 1 typically, they didn't seem overly busy this morning.
JCRiley09
AG
I made the trip to Goldee's today and it did not disappoint! Texas Trinity plus turkey, grits, and L&L hashKennedale stew. It was phenomenal.

Tip: Get there late. I arrived around 12:00 and was in line for about 30 minutes. When leaving around 1:30, there was zero line and only one side item was sold out.

agcrock2005
AG
Awesome. Did you see Beef Cheeks buddy Chud and the Mad Scientist guy?
JCRiley09
AG
Yeah I talked Brad a bit. I've met him before and was coincidentally wearing a Mama Fried shirt today (Beef Cheeks's food trailer) so I had an easy conversation starter. Didn't see mad scientist. I had no idea he was there.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I made the trip to Goldee's today and it did not disappoint! Texas Trinity plus turkey, grits, and L&L hash Kennedale stew.B's Cracklin' Hash It was phenomenal.

FIFY
AggieFabricator
JCRiley09 said:

Yeah I talked Brad a bit. I've met him before and was coincidentally wearing a Mama Fried shirt today (Beef Cheeks's food trailer) so I had an easy conversation starter. Didn't see mad scientist. I had no idea he was there.

Pretty sure the BBQ Snob was in the building as well.
Beef Cheek
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

JCRiley09 said:

I made the trip to Goldee's today and it did not disappoint! Texas Trinity plus turkey, grits, and L&L hash Kennedale stew.B's Cracklin' Hash It was phenomenal.

FIFY

L&L hash is a derivative of Elliott Moss's
Beef Cheek
AG
Tried Pizzitola's today, really appreciate these old places still hanging on.

schmendeler
AG
Has it gotten any better?
htxag09
AG
schmendeler said:

Has it gotten any better?

Hoping the answer yes….it's 1/4 mile from my house and I haven't been in years….
schmendeler
AG
It's been awhile since I went but last i recall BBQ Snob went and it seemed like they were trying to up their game.
Beef Cheek
AG
I enjoyed it. Didn't go in with very high expectations, was a solid experience. The service was excellent and they're definitely trying… but it was very slow for a Saturday lunch.
JCRiley09
AG
Some Mississippi bbq today. Pig and Pint in Jackson. It was much better than expected and definitely better than it looks. Sides were great. Meat was acceptable. Great beer selection. 4/10. Would try a different cuisine next time.
Beef Cheek
AG
Take it to the Mississippi BBQ thread
JCRiley09
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Take it to the Mississippi BBQ thread

It would be such a sad thread
Jock 07
AG
That brisket(?) looks horrible
Koldus131
AG
Those Huevos Rancheros at Burnt Bean truly are the real deal!!
agcrock2005
AG
I mentioned on here in April that I ran into Ernie and Chris at the Smokedown bbq competition and had some beers with them. I decided I would give them some of my money and do a bbq class for fun. Some pics below.

Ernie trimmed brisket, ribs and pork belly for us and then gave away at end of class. Chris explained that the drought was causing the briskets to get smaller right now because the farmers are having to "short sell" their cattle because they don't have enough food to keep them. Explains this "pathetic" looking brisket (their words not mine)

They buy full spares and take out the chine bone and very little else. Was surprised they don't take more of the rib tips out but if they're selling by the pound, makes sense to leave in there. Especially when you have an hour long wait. Obviously people don't mind.

Can barely see it because he's in the way (and the tape is blue), but Ernie's two sons are pretty much the pitmasters now and they taped their names on the sign behind them recognizing him as the pitmaster. His son pulled a brisket off the pit and cut it for us in the kitchen and it was incredible. Overheard Ernie quietly giving his son props for it being so good.

Ernie's other son makes 300 lbs of this sausage a week. It's 100% brisket trimmings. Was surprised no pork. Chris said it was because they don't go through much pork and were having to buy pork specifically to make sausage and they had extra beef trimmings so went to 100% beef. It was very good. Don't think they use a binder, but was still very good. You can tell it's all beef. Was also surprised they use high-temp cheese because it's so expensive, but I bet they are paying less than I do when I buy it since they're using so much. Their margins are probably pretty good on it too!

The plate that was included with the class. Beans were awesome. Corn was as well. Nailed the brisket although picture doesn't showcase that. Ribs phenomenal too. Flaco taco was very good as well. I'll definitely go back, and recommend others try it. Very humble guys that are very appreciative of what they've done...and they can put out some dang good food.

agcrock2005
AG
fixed it
Buzzy
agcrock2005 said:

Ernie trimmed brisket, ribs and pork belly for us and then gave away at end of class. Chris explained that the drought was causing the briskets to get smaller right now because the farmers are having to "short sell" their cattle because they don't have enough food to keep them. Explains this "pathetic" looking brisket (their words not mine)

You know you're dedicated to your business when you get the name tatted on your forearm.
Wild West Pimp Style
agcrock2005
AG
Buzzy said:

agcrock2005 said:

You know you're dedicated to your business when you get the name tatted on your forearm.
No doubt. They were saying they've had lot of investors offer to fund locations all over the place, including Boston. They've been flown to DC, Washington, and other states that I can't remember, to cook. They're about to be featured on a netflix bbq show. They also said they were approached about the location in Dallas that Heim is in now, BEFORE Heim was offered, and they turned it down because "Panther City is Fort Worth and we only care about getting this one location right".

Additional funny info on how they started: They were both doing A/V work and making nothing. Chris was the manager and heard about Ernie going to bbq competitions. He'd ask how they did and Ernie would always get too drunk and he'd burn everything and not turn it in. Chris said he'd help out and he says that all he did was put a schedule together and tell them not to drink until they turn food in. Said they were reserve grand champion on the first competition. Said from there they started taking Friday's off and cooking and knocking on doors and selling bbq until demand was too big to work A/V and bbq. Had to make a choice. Think they made a good one!

Jock 07
AG
CA is getting into the BBQ fest game. Heritage BBQ (the hosts) make amazing BBQ and it feels like back home. Line starts on their front porch and they have good TX music playing over the stereo. Heard Lyle Lovett, REK, Jerry Jeff, Hayes Carll, etc.

I heard about it from Nick Priedite who runs Priedite BBQ up here in Los Alamos who makes great BBQ. California is steadily getting some really solid spots and pop ups out here.

If it weren't for having 6 month old twins I'd be figuring a way to drive down there for this.
https://www.heritagecraftbbq.com/heritage-craft-barbecue-invitational/
MarathonAg12
AgCrock,

My bourbon group is throwing a bottle share event at Helberg BBQ in Waco September 24th. They have been voted on having some of the best bbq in town.

Hoping you can make it brother. Would love to meet up and share a pour in person.
Bulldog73
AG
I saw that in the group. What if you're a lame-o who has no interesting bottles, but is willing to share the meager offerings he has?
MarathonAg12
Bulldog73 said:

I saw that in the group. What if you're a lame-o who has no interesting bottles, but is willing to share the meager offerings he has?

I could care less about bourbon. Just looking for some great convos with some Ags over a pour or two and some grub.
Buzzy

You talking about the Love Field location for Heim? That location is money!!
Wild West Pimp Style
AggieFabricator
I've already booked my room and flight for this one, I'm really looking forward to it. Amazing lineup.
agcrock2005
AG
Buzzy said:

No idea. He just said that they had the opportunity to go into the Dallas location where Heim went. I try to stay away from Dallas so no clue where it is, or if Heim has more than one location.
Buzzy
agcrock2005 said:

Buzzy said:

No idea. He just said that they had the opportunity to go into the Dallas location where Heim went. I try to stay away from Dallas so no clue where it is, or if Heim has more than one location.
Heim has a location literally across the street from Love Field. You exit the airport, you immediately see the restaurant. From a sales and marketing standpoint, it doesn't get much better. New arrivals to Dallas looking for Texas barbecue immediately see Heim.
Wild West Pimp Style
The Milkman
AG
I'm going to be in the San Antonio area in September after a while away from Texas. Is Burnt Bean worth its buzz and the hour drive to Seguin?

A couple years ago when I had 2M I was underwhelmed. Maybe went too late in the day.

Any other recommendations to bring my BBQ loving yankee brother in law to while we're at La Cantera?
AggieFabricator
2M is definitely worth a second trip in my opinion. It's one of my favorites. Burnt Bean 100% lives up to hype in my opinion as well. If you're not wanting to venture out of San Antonio, I hear great things about Reese Bros. It located over by the Alamodome.
TejasAg
AG
I'll second AgFab. Can't go wrong with any of those three. There's also Pinkerton's in SA now, and if you wanna try some Asian/Texas BBQ fusion check out Curry Boys BBQ.
JCA1
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Tried Pizzitola's today, really appreciate these old places still hanging on.

I used to live in a townhome across the street. Smelled the distinctive smell of smoking ribs most mornings when I left for work.
BurnetAggie99
AggieFabricator said:

2M is definitely worth a second trip in my opinion. It's one of my favorites. Burnt Bean 100% lives up to hype in my opinion as well. If you're not wanting to venture out of San Antonio, I hear great things about Reese Bros. It located over by the Alamodome.
Reese Brothers BBQ is legit some of the best BBQ out there. They make some great Brisket, Ribs & Sausages. I also like they have little Tex-Mex twist on their Beans and some of their sides. Their Salsa is killer good. They also make scratch tortillas too if you don't want bread. They were understudies at LA BBQ under Leann Mueller then went out to Marathon to work the pits at Brick Vault BBQ & Brewing.

I also agree 2M worth a second trip and Burnt Beans like you said is Nails.
Fairview20
AG
The new Pinkerton's in downtown is awesome. If you're close to downtown it's tough to beat the food and atmosphere there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.