Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

453,223 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by CyAg
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Just curious, what would be your top 5?

That plate looks delicious
I'll admit I'm not as up to date or honed in as I used to be. Instead of travelling Texas, I'm spending most of my time out of state now.

I'll say:
Franklin, Snow's, Blood Bros, Tejas, Louie Mueller

(For the record, I've yet to visit Goldee's)
agcrock2005
AG
What happened to you? You used to be all over the place for BBQ. My guess is the kid dynamite blew up your normal life!
wadd96
AG
FYI... Brett's Backyard BBQ has been shut down by the Rockdale health department. Deemed to no longer be mobile food unit and lacks the necessary plumbing to support a fixed location.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
CDub06
AG
agcrock2005 said:

What happened to you? You used to be all over the place for BBQ. My guess is the kid dynamite blew up your normal life!
Yup. You nailed it. Plus I used to work exclusively with Texas counties. So I'd be on the road driving between courthouses all week, stopping in between for barbecue. Then we'd load up on the weekends and either go to Aggieland or hit the barbecue places on my "To Do" list.

That did come to a halt with the kid. Plus most of my work travel has me in New Mexico or Idaho. So I'll spend every few weeks eating carne adovada or potatoes, then load up on the weekends and go a trampoline park and Bed, Bath, and Beyond if there's time.
tsuag10
AG
He mentioned you again on todays new podcast right off the bat. Mentioned Centex Smokers 2 times within the first couple of minutes and talked about your craftsmanship.
agcrock2005
AG
tsuag10 said:

He mentioned you again on todays new podcast right off the bat. Mentioned Centex Smokers 2 times within the first couple of minutes and talked about your craftsmanship.
That's really going to slow down demand for their product now...congrats AgFab.
AgsWin2011
AG
agcrock2005 said:

tsuag10 said:

That's really badass! Do you mind sharing how much you sold his rig for?

Congrats on the success. Great craftsmanship!
AgsWin2011
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

agcrock2005 said:

tsuag10 said:

That's really badass! Do you mind sharing how much you sold his rig for?

Congrats on the success. Great craftsmanship!

Edit: meant to replay to AgFab
agcrock2005
AG
He said a few pages back. Not going to search for it but I think was around $15K.
AggieFabricator
I couldn't be so lucky.
agcrock2005
AG
Sorry. Still not going to search through the thread to find it. 8?
AggieFabricator
15k if you're asking what he was charged.
NColoradoAG
Interstellar this morning was awesome. It was my first trip. Got there around 1045 and was out the door to the golf course at 1215. The sausages were the star for me, especially the frito pie special.
MAROON
AG
I can't even imagine playing golf after eating that. And what evil server gives two people three ribs to share.....e?!?!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
NColoradoAG
MAROON said:

I can't even imagine playing golf after eating that. And what evil server gives two people three ribs to share.....e?!?!

Half of it is in the cooler in the car. And the third rib was a freebie end piece.

I did just fire a 45 on the front so ill blame the greasy fingers.
agcrock2005
AG
NColoradoAG said:

MAROON said:

Half of it is in the cooler in the car. And the third rib was a freebie end piece.

What is your (and folks in this thread) opinion on getting these handouts? I've had people cutting brisket add their dried out crappy brisket for "free" and my thoughts are "I don't want that **** either". Maybe I'm just a bbq snob or do others share that opinion? I have limited room in my stomach, and I want it to be occupied by the good stuff!
Chipotlemonger
AG
agcrock2005 said:

NColoradoAG said:

MAROON said:

What is your (and folks in this thread) opinion on getting these handouts? I've had people cutting brisket add their dried out crappy brisket for "free" and my thoughts are "I don't want that **** either". Maybe I'm just a bbq snob or do others share that opinion? I have limited room in my stomach, and I want it to be occupied by the good stuff!
No one is forcing you to eat everything on the plate, that's my opinion at least.
JCA1
AG
I will preface this by saying I absolutely love being handed free bites but I think he means getting handed a bite while going through the line that he then feels compelled to accept and eat.

But, again, I love those bites so keep them coming for me.
AggieFabricator
JCA1 said:

I will preface this by saying I absolutely love being handed free bites but I think he means getting handed a bite while going through the line that he then feels compelled to accept and eat.

We're now down to complaining about free stuff in this country…can't wait until we've descended into a third world hell hole. You'll love the brisket.
AggieFabricator
Truth today in Houston and it did not suck. No need to offer a critique because it was awesome.

JCA1
AG
AggieFabricator said:

JCA1 said:

We're now down to complaining about free stuff in this country…can't wait until we've descended into a third world hell hole. You'll love the brisket.

Hey, I never look a gift horse in the mouth. In fact, I'd happily accept a free bite of that gift horse if someone smoked it decently.
agcrock2005
AG
AggieFabricator said:

JCA1 said:

I'll be eating deer meat I think. Not complaining about the free stuff, or at least I wasn't meaning to sound that way. I just personally don't want a bite that an owner feels isn't good enough to charge for. I'm going to be crazy full already and burping all day so I don't need to put that trash rib in my belly, or a dried out piece of trash brisket in there too. Lol. Hell, back in the day when I would go to Franklins, he would throw it straight in the trash if he didn't like it. I don't understand why, if you're a bbq owner, you would want to let someone eat a bite that you think isn't good.
AG
Every time I've been offered a free bite while in line, it's been the moist or burnt ends
agcrock2005
AG
23 said:

Every time I've been offered a free bite while in line, it's been the moist or burnt ends
I'm not talking about those bites. Those are great. Franklin (and a lot of the other top places) gives those to everyone too as a thanks for waiting I guess, but the bites that weren't good he would throw in the trash. Those (and the burned up and dried out last rib) are the bites I'm talking about. I'm a loner on this one I can tell. I'll bow out with the L.
AG
ahhhhh i misunderstood, i thought you were saying all they give out is the crappy ones. i agree the crappy ones suck and why would you do that? i'd just turn those down and say "thanks but sorry gotta save room for dessert", ive done that at a rudy's before
NColoradoAG
agcrock2005 said:

NColoradoAG said:

MAROON said:

Wasn't trying to start anything. The guy cutting ribs just threw it on the platter. We ordered two ribs and got the end of a rack. Certainly had no complaints
SoTxAg
AG
Fwiw, james beard awards 2023 TX finalists with a few bbq joints on the list.

jja79
AG

schmendeler
AG
Not bad for so late
RED AG 98
AG
Any chance I can show up at Interstellar at 1 PM today and get served? In the area somewhat unexpectedly, and thought I might swing by,..
AggieFabricator
I'd see if you could call and get ahold of anyone and ask before I went out of my way that late. The weather is crap, so that helps your chances. But, they don't say show up late lose weight for no reason.
RED AG 98
AG
Thank you. Ended up being great advice. I just called him they're on a two hour wait and probably be out of stuff by the time I could get there, so will have to do it another time. Any other recs for easily attainable BBQ in Austin area?
Koldus131
AG
Assuming you're in northern Austin, Stiles Switch and Brotherton's
jja79
AG
Went with a group. Made bloody Marys at home, got there at 10, poured the drinks and had a great time.
schmendeler
AG
They didn't give you any flack for outside drinks? I brought a couple beers once and they told us not to do that anymore.

Sounds like fun though!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.