Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,502 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

Look at all that crutch

I actually enjoy lean brisket done right.
And fat brisket done poorly just isn't my thing.

But this was perfectly rendered. Melt in your mouth. Great flavor. Great texture. I still contend Franklins and cattle Ack (of the places I have been) have the best and most consistent brisket.

Goldees is great but not quite the same to me. But damn good.
wadd96
AG
The hell it is!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
tsuag10
AG
Brotherton's in Pflugerville today.

Brisket was solid. Ribs had a great flavor but were still slightly tough. Cornbread casserole was pretty good. Garlic Parmesan green beans (not pictured) were good.

To be honest, I've never had a bad experience at Brotherton's, but I've never been blown away either.

JCRiley09
AG
I feel like Brotherton's really shines when you get a sandwich. I did a BBQ binge a few summers ago and the brisket bahn mi was one of my all time best bites.
AggieFabricator
I second this. The Texas Italian Beef and Pflugerville Philly are excellent options as well.
Buzzy
AggieFabricator said:

I second this. The Texas Italian Beef and Pflugerville Philly are excellent options as well.
Do they make their own giardiniera?
Wild West Pimp Style
wadd96
AG
Not sure on that. But they do make their own sauerkraut for the Reuben.

And John is one of real people I know.
schmendeler
AG
Short line at corkscrew right now, fyi
CDub06
AG
Had a late lunch at Blood Bros. yesterday. Freaking love the place. I had a "light" order because I was going to run at memorial park after.

CDub06
AG
schmendeler said:

Look at all that crutch

Well played. I almost want to pay for the Laugh/cry emoticon just for this post.
jja79
AG
Corkscrew solid as always.
FredMc92
I've never been to Corkscrew and thinking about going tomorrow.

What should I expect as far as the line goes?

Thanks!
schmendeler
AG
Last Friday the whole line pretty much fit inside the restaurant at open, which is pretty good. If you get there early, grab a number sheet from the binder on the little table outside on the porch. Then you can wait in your car until they open rather than standing outside in line.
FredMc92
Thanks for the advice!
jja79
AG
They're online pick up only tomorrow and then closed until the 4th. When you order online they give you a number to text when you get there and it's out pretty quickly. I've done ot a couple of Saturdays and skipped the line, sat at the outside picnic tables and eaten while watching the line creep around the building.
Bulldog73
AG
Headed to Cattleack. Anything off the usual beat that I need to make sure to get?
Koldus131
AG
Pastrami brisket is the special tomorrow. They have Bologna which is unique. I love their cornbread. The rest is pretty standard fare.

If none of those three things sound awesome to you I wouldn't venture out of the ordinary. Their best specials are pork steak and their brisket boudin IMO.
AggieFabricator
That pork steak is a thing of beauty. When I go it will be for that pork steak.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm going to have to give the pastrami a try, but man, I'm really a sucker for a great pork steak.
wadd96
AG
Going to try to get the wife up early tomorrow and make our way over from the Stockyards...
jja79
AG
If you go get some pulled pork. I took a couple of pounds home saturday and it's really good.
rjones2688
The wagyu bologna is next level. I get at least a pound everytime and make sandwiches through out the week !
Saxsoon
AG
rjones2688 said:

The wagyu bologna is next level. I get at least a pound everytime and make sandwiches through out the week !

What does a pound run ya?
BohunkAg
AG
Hearing that Guess BBQ in Waco, which made the list is running into financial issues. I think they've had a lot of turnover. Last couple of times I've been there, they've been out of some stuff and the quality varied greatly. Guess greatness is hard to sustain.
BurnetAggie99
Heard that as well. When I'm in Waco I usually hit Helberg BBQ or Tony DeMaria's when in town. Sometimes hit both places.
Bobcat-Ag
For those who are not in Texas, have you mail ordered some Texas BBQ? Is it worth it? Where is the best place to order from? Trying to give some recommendations to a co-worker but I've never done this and don't know what to tell them.
CowtownAg06
AG
I've never done it, but Goldbelly seems like they know what they are going. I may see what options they have.
NColoradoAG
CowtownAg06 said:

I've never done it, but Goldbelly seems like they know what they are going. I may see what options they have.

Theres a ton of options on Goldbelly these days for Texas bbq. Not cheap but it can be had from several spots.

I know snows and Southside market ship directly, which is a bit cheaper.

I recommend using an immersion circulator to reheat anything you order.
JCA1
AG
Never done it so I can't speak to how well it travels but Truth ships whole briskets.

https://www.truthbbq.com/shop/p/truth-whole-brisket
AggieFabricator
We've shipped Snows before to family friends and they liked it. No complaints and said it was great when warmed back up.
Beef Cheek
AG
If you get a brisket shipped, DV has a good article on reheating.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/faux-vide/
Bobcat-Ag
AggieFabricator said:

We've shipped Snows before to family friends and they liked it. No complaints and said it was great when warmed back up.

This is what I was leaning towards, so that is good to hear.
BohunkAg
AG
I am currently at Helberg. They seem to be going gangbusters. Philip and Yvette are such nice people. Love it for them.
Bulldog73
AG
Order an extra pork steak for me. So good.

Cattleack was solid yesterday, got there at 11, eating at noon, only meats they had left were brisket & pulled pork. Crack cake was all that it should be. Sides were fine, no cornbread left.

Headed to Stanleys's Famous Pit BBQ now.
AgsWin2011
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Order an extra pork steak for me. So good.

Cattleack was solid yesterday, got there at 11, eating at noon, only meats they had left were brisket & pulled pork. Crack cake was all that it should be. Sides were fine, no cornbread left.

Headed to Stanleys's Famous Pit BBQ now.

I enjoy the Brother-In-Law sandwich on a jalapeño cheese bun at Stanley's. The next time I go I think I'll try the Mother Clucker.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.