Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,756 Views | 3171 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by JCRiley09
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2M Smokehouse today.

Ribs were excellent. Brisket was very good. Sausage was just ok honestly. Pinto beans were awesome.

jja79
AG
Thank you for helping me unsee that last picture.
DiskoTroop
jja79 said:

Never been there but that doesn't look good. The Mac and cheese looks like instant.
I admit the presentation isn't great. Tastes good though!
DiskoTroop
BohunkAg said:

What is stuffed in that sausage?
Caramelized onions stuffed in boudin.
jja79
AG
I'm seldom in KW but next time I'm there I might give it a go. You may have posted this but where is it?
G-Town Cracker
AG
Buy an ad or please stop spamming all the boards about this place. Believe me, you're not doing them any favors by posting all of these crappy looking pics.
TejasAg
AG
Quick stop at L&L today. Half chicken , kale slaw and pork hash w/ rice. Alabama white sauce was money. Love going by when I'm wanting something different from the norm.
agcrock2005
AG
That looks awesome. Really wish I had an excuse to be down that way so I could give it a try.
DiskoTroop
G-Town Cracker said:

Buy an ad or please stop spamming all the boards about this place. Believe me, you're not doing them any favors by posting all of these crappy looking pics.

All the boards… hahaha
DiskoTroop
jja79 said:

I'm seldom in KW but next time I'm there I might give it a go. You may have posted this but where is it?

Thanks for taking someone's word for it.

2665 Royal Forest Dr
Kingwood, TX 77339
Buzzy
Quote:

if the fyre fest debacle had served bbq, this would be what it would look like.
Wild West Pimp Style
CDub06
AG
AggieFabricator said:

It's been passed along to the management…

Much appreciated. These are the big issues that must be addressed.
BohunkAg
AG
Tough crowd lol. Not my cup of tea and I've never seen boudin stuffed with onions, but no need to be mean about it lol.
BurnetAggie99
Have you ever had/made green onion smoked sausages? Bud's in Houston is a maker that stands out. Green onion sausage is pretty good and I also make some every year when we making other sausage
schmendeler
AG
Sounds delicious
agcrock2005
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Have you ever had/made green onion smoked sausages? Bud's in Houston is a maker that stands out. Green onion sausage is pretty good and I also make some every year when we making other sausage
I've been making a lot of sausages over the last year and haven't tried this one yet. There are a lot of videos on it, but do you have a recipe, or can you point to one that you'd recommend? Thanks.
DiskoTroop
BurnetAggie99 said:

Richard's in Abbeville, LA makes green onion boudin. It's very good smoked.
Mathguy64
AG
Slovacek makes a green onion sausage.
DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieFabricator said:

It's been passed along to the management…

If they want to do it right, it needs to be Luzianne tea
Buzzy
BurnetAggie99 said:

Is it normal to saute or cook the onions before you put them in the sausage?
Wild West Pimp Style
AgsWin2011
AG
Woke up in the mood for BBQ today and the first thing my coworker says to me is "wanna get some 407 BBQ today?".

407 is pretty solid. There's definitely some other places I've had that I like better, but 407 is about 10-15 minutes from our jobsite.
agcrock2005
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Woke up in the mood for BBQ today and the first thing my coworker says to me is "wanna get some 407 BBQ today?".

407 is pretty solid. There's definitely some other places I've had that I like better, but 407 is about 10-15 minutes from our jobsite.
I live less than 5 miles from there and never go there anymore. I thought they were incredible when they were in a little shack on the west side of 35, but their quality has gone down hill at a higher rate than their prices have gone up at the new place. Very inconsistent which is what the top guys seem to be really good at. Nothing else around here though so they get a lot of traffic.

On a side note, had an MRI in Fort Worth the other day and drove by Derek Allen's old spot that now had Hurtado BBQ on the building. That's good news for the area. Look forward to trying it.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
This "new" place will make the top 50. I say new because before their brick and mortar Mum Foods was only doing catering or farmer's markets. They are now open for lunch service in east Austin. Known for their pastrami (Daniel Vaughn has claimed it's the best he's had), but holy cow was I blown away by their ribs and sausage. I didn't get any sides, but they looked better than Fire Crafts (jk…kind of).

Give them a try!
BurnetAggie99
5 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt
1.5 pounds of pork fat at least 50% or higher ratio
1 medium sweet yellow onion fine dice
3 stalks of celery fine dice
5 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup flat parsley fine dice
3 large bunches of green onions finely chopped
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon pink salt/cure#1/ Prague Powder
1 cup of your favorite brand of Cajun seasoning - I use Swamp Dust Fire
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground rosemary
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
15 feet Natural pork casing

run meat through grinder alternating between meat and fat. It is important during this step to work quickly and have your equipment and meat very cold, so the fat does not warm up and render out.
After first grind run through again adding diced onion and celery using fine die.

If you notice the fat becoming too warm during the second grind, add few ice cubes as you run mixture through grinder. This will add moisture and help cool everything down.

After 2nd grind is done, in a large tub/bowl add remaining ingredients and combine until well mixed.

After mixing everything, make a small test patty. Cook and taste making sure the flavor is to your liking. Adjust seasoning to desired taste. If everything good proceed to made your sausage links.

After sausage links are done then heads to smoker to smoke over a post oak/peacan mix of wood at 225 degrees until done.
Saxsoon
AG
Went to Willie Meshack's today in Plano. They have a caribbean jerk chicken that was incredible. Fried okra was on point.
BohunkAg
AG
Buzzy said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Is it normal to saute or cook the onions before you put them in the sausage?
No....and that was my point. The boudin stuffed with grilled onions was odd to me. Sometimes simpler is better. People getting too cute with their proteins these days lol
jja79
AG
I ordered online at Corkscrew and when I went to pick up the line is the longest I've ever seen and I started with them when they just had a trailer on Budde Road in the Woodlands.
Jock 07
AG
CDub06 said:

Forgot to share the spread from 2M in San Antonio last week. It's my dad's favorite of all. It's not #1 for me, but is elite. Every visit I hope they've added tea to their drinks. Still hoping…

That looks like about the most perfect BBQ shot I've seen in a long time.
LawHall88
AG
Buzzy
LawHall88 said:

"Barbecue so good it stops crime."
Wild West Pimp Style
LawHall88
AG
CyAg
AG
Great pic!
Aggie09Derek
AG
AggieFabricator said:

I was fortunate through a mutual friend to go back and meet him in the green room after a show in Austin earlier this year, he had been following us on social for a few months. Originally I was going to build him a custom steak grill, but he mentioned how he liked to reverse sear tomahawk ribeyes a lot. So after some conversation he zeroed in on an offset with the finishing grill up top. He let me take over from there. We met in late March, and my house burned down two weeks later. So I had to go to Joe and explain to him basically that I had to put him on the back burner until I got back on my feet. We finished the smoker in June, but have been on hold to deliver it because he was having an outdoor cooking area built out. It's been a tough year on my wife and me, starting over after our house fire while you're trying to keep your business afloat/growing and having to sit on Rogans pit was tough and frustrating at times. All in all it's been an extremely cool experience and I can't figure out how the hell I got here. He was extremely down to earth and gracious all three times I have been around him. I'm looking forward to him getting to use it for the first time soon. The pic below was the OG mock up of his steak grill.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnvevrqs835/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

AggieFabricator
So much for flying under the radar ha.
CDub06
AG
BohunkAg said:

So I've got a question....people always post these huge ass plates and spreads from these BBQ joints. How do people eat all this food?
I usually bring some friends along. But I will admit that on more than one occasion, I've ordered for myself and they've given me several sets of plasticware.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.