Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,530 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone hit up the San Antonio location of Pinkertons yet?
Beef Cheek
AG
Hearing some whispers about BBQ and Aggieland…

Could be some festive happenings next spring.
AggieFabricator
I've heard the same. It's gonna be great if it happens.
wadd96
AG
Hmmmm. Thinking I know the promoter...lol
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
TXAG 05
AG
Matsui said:

Anyone hit up the San Antonio location of Pinkertons yet?

Pretty good. Plus it's just a really nice place to hang out
Koldus131
AG
nm
tsuag10
AG
Burnt Bean in Seguin again today. Got in line at 10:30 and was #5 in line.

Excellent again. Everything was really good, but the pork rib was as close to perfect as I've had.
agcrock2005
AG
That looks awesome. Wish I had a reason to be down that direction so I could try it out.
AggieFabricator
I went for a burger today, just getting back to the shop and I'm miserable.
Objective Aggie
AG
tsuag10 said:

Burnt Bean in Seguin again today. Got in line at 10:30 and was #5 in line.

Excellent again. Everything was really good, but the pork rib was as close to perfect as I've had.

Bread looks better at Goldees.

Seriously a great looking plate.
AggieFabricator
Hit Terry Blacks in Lockhart today with my sidekick. Best brisket in Lockhart, by far. Sides were very good, probably the best in Lockhart as well. They're cooking overflow here for their Austin location, for the amount of volume they're doing this was pretty good. Side note, today was not my first trip over here, if I was going to be critical of anything it's that their sausage was complete trash the first two times I ordered it.
Matsui
AG
Thanks!
JCRiley09
AG
Smoked avocado?
AggieFabricator
I'm trying to diet (kinda).
Marooned_n_Aggieland
/Burnt Bean in Seguin ---

I hit the place up a few weeks ago. It was approaching mid afternoon on a very nice Saturday. They were out of several items but I only wanted take out brisket.

I got distracted and did not ask for extra lean. Bad move on my behalf. The cuts received were extremely fatty and you could wring out the rendered fatty juice. Spongy meat does nothing for me.

That experience has really tempered my desires for a return engagement. Luling is always a good alternative, especially their sausage. I don't order sausage at any other BBQ place than Luling. Their links are bursting with juicy flavor.
schmendeler
AG
Ohh nooo, fatty brisket juice! Sounds terrible.
agcrock2005
AG
You lost me at "extra lean". What is that? Is it the most cooked part of a flat?
JCRiley09
AG
Opinions are like….

Well y'all know the rest.
Saxsoon
AG
I do not care for fatty brisket. Prefer the lean
big-ag
AG
I'm surprising my 3 boys with a trip to the LSU game. What's the best spot these days? Coopers? Fargo's?
Koldus131
AG
big-ag
AG
Looks like they are closed till 12/1.
Objective Aggie
AG
big-ag said:

I'm surprising my 3 boys with a trip to the LSU game. What's the best spot these days? Coopers? Fargo's?

I said this before but Cooper's is mass produced mediocrity. It's County Line on a bad day in my opinion.

Which is funny because I may have been one of the few who liked Kreuz Markets Bryan location.

But 1775 is far and away the best place in BCS.
CowtownAg06
AG
What direction are you coming from? Might have more suggestions on the way.
big-ag
AG
Dallas
CDub06
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

I hit the place up a few weeks ago. It was approaching mid afternoon on a very nice Saturday. They were out of several items but I only wanted take out brisket.

I got distracted and did not ask for extra lean. Bad move on my behalf. The cuts received were extremely fatty and you could wring out the rendered fatty juice. Spongy meat does nothing for me.

That experience has really tempered my desires for a return engagement. Luling is always a good alternative, especially their sausage. I don't order sausage at any other BBQ place than Luling. Their links are bursting with juicy flavor.

This thread might not be for you…
Chipotlemonger
AG
CDub06 said:

This thread might not be for you…

I don't agree with this. I love really good medium fat or even lean brisket sometimes. Room for all.
TXAG 05
AG

I wouldn't blame the bad experience on them because you didn't order what you wanted.
CDub06
AG
But you can get extra lean brisket from any Tom, Dickie, or Rudy. I don't think that's a metric on TM's rankings.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I wouldn't blame the bad experience on them because you didn't order what you wanted.

I do agree with this.
RAM700BA
AG

I went to Pizza Place A and only wanted a salad. I forgot and ordered pizza. Their pizza had too many toppings and was too greasy. I like my pizza with no cheese and toppings, just sauce. I probably won't go there again.

Pizza Place B is a good alternative, especially their calzones. Their calzones are bursting with cheese and toppings.

That's what you just said.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
agcrock2005 said:

You lost me at "extra lean". What is that? Is it the most cooked part of a flat?
Perhaps a compass for you? The flat is the leanest part of a brisket. People here will complain that you need all that extra fat for the taste. Not for me. If the flat is cooked properly is will be plenty moist and tasty bite for bite without having to pick through you meat on the plate to get to the good stuff.

Who does this well? Off the top of my head:
Snow's
Brett's Backyard

The Bean might do it well but that's not the cut I got which was my fault for not asking first.
Saxsoon
AG

agcrock2005 said:

Perhaps a compass for you? The flat is the leanest part of a brisket. People here will complain that you need all that extra fat for the taste. Not for me. If the flat is cooked properly is will be plenty moist and tasty bite for bite without having to pick through you meat on the plate to get to the good stuff.

Who does this well? Off the top of my head:
Snow's
Brett's Backyard

The Bean might do it well but that's not the cut I got which was my fault for not asking first.
Cattleack as well. Fat is a crutch
schmendeler
AG
Lmao. Fat isn't a crutch. Fat IS flavor.
Saxsoon
AG
schmendeler said:

Lmao. Fat isn't a crutch. Fat IS flavor.
that sounds like a crutch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.