Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

450,462 Views | 3180 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by CyAg
CenTexSmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time Out Market in Brooklyn
schmendeler
AG
How much was that tray in NYC?
JCA1
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Not bbq but tangentially related because 1) it's smoked and 2) lots of meat.

Afternoon food coma incoming after a visit to Perry's for the famous Pork Chop Friday Lunch. I think this was right at $10 the first time I went about 15 years ago. Still a pretty good deal today at $19.

That pork chop is legit. But somebody really screwed up your mashed potatoes. They almost look like vegetables.
RED AG 98
AG
JCA1 said:

That pork chop is legit. But somebody really screwed up your mashed potatoes. They almost look like vegetables.
Getting the vegetables allowed me to drink a few carbs. It was a sacrifce I was willing to make.
Peter Klaven
AG
The algorithms must've been working together today as I ran across a video on FB highlighting this place and funny enough the crispy pork was the item I was most interested in!

I agree with you though, it looked like a really nice effort for NY.
CenTexSmoke
He's starting to really get some attention and hype, well deserved I'd say.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Those veggies look better to me than mashed potatoes
rjones2688
schmendeler said:

How much was that tray in NYC?
Prob 200 dollars LOL
CenTexSmoke
They comped the tray so I'm not sure, meats were priced equal to what you'd get most places here though.
tsuag10
AG
Roegels's BBQ in Katy yesterday.

Brisket Grilled Cheese and a little pork belly.

I love how they do the pork belly like a brisket. Peppery and perfectly rendered fat. Sandwich was awesome too.

tsuag10
AG
Tejas Chocolate + BBQ today.

Turkey Melt and the highly recommended Chile Relleno sausage.

Both were outstanding.

schmendeler
AG
Not a turkey fan normally but that looks like a pretty tasty sandwich
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone know anything about Stockyard bbq in westheimer in Houston? My sister is in town and really wants bbq nachos? She suggested a sketchy bar near me, but a google search turned up Stockyard. Any other suggestions in Houston?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Truth from earlier this week. Brisket had been a let down last couple of times I had been but was excellent this go around. First time getting their Turkey, was good and would definitely get again.

JCRiley09
AG
Go get real bbq and then make nachos at home with the leftovers
jh0400
AG
Candente. They use brisket from the Pit Room in their brisket nachos and enchiladas.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jh0400 said:

Candente. They use brisket from the Pit Room in their brisket nachos and enchiladas.

Forgot about that place. Actually went there with my other sister a few months ago and had brisket enchiladas.
The Anchor
AG
I have a work conference in Houston next week. I will have one night to explore. I will be staying around 610 and 69. Any top quality BBQ options in that general area? I don't want to drive 30 plus minutes for BBQ that night.
La Fours
AG
Pinkerton's is on Airline, a few blocks south of 610. Very close to where you're staying. Not sure what else is near there.
jh0400
AG
The Anchor said:

I have a work conference in Houston next week. I will have one night to explore. I will be staying around 610 and 69. Any top quality BBQ options in that general area? I don't want to drive 30 plus minutes for BBQ that night.

North or south? 610 intersects 59/69 twice.
The Anchor
AG
On the west side of Houston. Looking at a map I guess you would call that south?

I am staying at The Chifley if that helps.
jh0400
AG
The Pit Room is close as well. Depending on where you're coming from I'd be 50/50 on recommending an after dark visit to Pinkerton's.
La Fours
AG
Oh, my bad. Pinkerton's is not close to you at all. I assumed you were staying on the north east side of town.

Roegels I believe shouldn't be too far away.
La Fours
AG
Blood Bros is also near there.
jh0400
AG
Blood Bros and Roegels are only open for lunch.
Farmer1906
AG
The Anchor said:

On the west side of Houston. Looking at a map I guess you would call that south?

I am staying at The Chifley if that helps.
https://houston.eater.com/maps/best-houston-bbq-barbecue-restaurants

Your closest options are Pit Room, Roegels, & Blood Bros. Truth isn't far either.
htxag09
AG
That area, dinner, I'd go to pit room

Truth is a little bit further and open for dinner one or two nights a week. So would depend on the night
jh0400
AG
If you're not dead set on a pure BBQ experience, I'd actually recommend Candente. The smoked carnitas there are one of my favorite things to eat in Houston.

ETA: it shares an owner with the Pit Room, and that's where they source the brisket for the nachos and enchiladas.
WES2006AG
AG
Went to Benny Chow's a few weeks back in Houston. It is the same guy who owns B&B Butcher and other places around town. It is upscale and pricey Chinese food but they are using Truth BBQ brisket in an egg roll and on top of fried rice. Really good stuff.
La Fours
AG
jh0400 said:

Blood Bros and Roegels are only open for lunch.

Ah, I didn't realize that. Good to know.

Man, I'm failing at all my recommendations.
The Anchor
AG
Looks like I am hitting up the Pit Room. Thanks guys.
TXAG 05
AG
jh0400 said:

And the brisket queso.
agcrock2005
AG
Had Hurtado's again yesterday. Good stuff again. Wanted to try some items I had never had so got tostada, quail and mac and cheese this time around. All very good.

tsuag10
AG
Briscuits in Austin this morning.

Dear. Lord.

I would be 500 lbs and penniless if I lived near this place.

I couldn't decide on one, so I had the Brisket & Jelly and the Pork Belly, Egg, & Cheese.

Both were phenomenal and I'm ashamed to say that I ate almost all of both sandwiches.

The only negative thing I have to say is that they should come on a plate with a fork and knife. I had to split them in half and eat them as open face sandwiches due to their height.

CowtownAg06
AG
This may be #1 on my list I'd like to try.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.