*** The Concert Thread ***

158,066 Views | 1969 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Duckhook
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also, the people watching at that show in '99 was incredible.
Proposition Joe
maroon barchetta said:

Also, the people watching at that show in '99 was incredible.

At aforementioned Motley/DefLeppard/Poison/JoanJett I commented that I'd say 75% of the people in attendance have likely had sex in a public bathroom stall.

And regarding Poison, that's one big thing I actually I took away from the concert -- Brett Michaels still really cares about putting on a show for his fans and he genuinely seemed happy to be out there doing what he was doing.
maroon barchetta
The '99 show had guys that were in their mid to late 30's wearing threadbare Union Jack Def Leppard sleeveless shirts like our drummer got on the Pyromania tour, complete with the hairstyle they had in 1984.

It also had 22 year old strippers attending in groups of three or four, maybe wanting to see the bands that wrote some of the songs they dance to.
JYDog90
AG
62strat said:

Diggity said:

Proposition Joe said:

maroon barchetta said:

Watch the US Festival video of Crue. He is not good.

But most people aren't going to these shows to see these performers at peak performance or anywhere near it.

They are going to check bands and songs off a bucket list.

As I texted my buddy last year when he had to bail on the Motley/Def/Poison/JoanJett concert -- "Enjoy being on your deathbed and having to come to grips that you never heard Unskinny Bop live".
nothing more to say
lol.. I had to look up to see if unskinny bop was Cru or Poison. I know the tune for sure, but couldn't decipher who was singing it.

That kinda music just ain't for me, and I'm fine with that.

I can't help singing that song to myself every time I see this at the grocery store.

cc10106
I may regret not having seen Def Leppard live if I keep waiting to do so. I'm good on the rest.
Jim01
AG
This article is about my former boss back in the day (I was a lifeguard at Sea World) and Bret. They now see each other every time Bret is in SA and he says Bret is one of the most genuine and heartfelt guys he's met.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/zoo-ceo-san-antonio-brett-michaels-save-life/273-5019dac0-6bb2-40d3-9013-82457a95951e
maroon barchetta
Jim01 said:

This article is about my former boss back in the day (I was a lifeguard at Sea World) and Bret. They now see each other every time Bret is in SA and he says Bret is one of the most genuine and heartfelt guys he's met.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/zoo-ceo-san-antonio-brett-michaels-save-life/273-5019dac0-6bb2-40d3-9013-82457a95951e

Incredible story. That guy took things into his own hands and just handled it, and Brett is alive today. I remember back when he had those major health issues. Scary stuff.

Great job by the band helping out at the park while Brett was in the hospital.
WES2006AG
AG
Springsteen was great last night at Wrigley. Played largely the same set list that I saw in Houston in February. Great energy from Bruce and the E Street Band was as good as ever.

To be touring and playing almost 3 hour sets at 73 is amazing. Hope they keep it going.
jorgerr96

Last night at The Offspring/Simple Plan/Sum 41 was miserable. So hot, Simple Plan was supposed to go first but their guitarrist passed out and had to get an IV, so they had to change the set so Sum 41 would go first, hoping that by the time SP went on the sun would be gone. Sets were great, but also had a guy behind me to my left puke during Sum 41 (the guy directly behind me had vomit on his shirt lol)
maroon barchetta
jorgerr96 said:

Last night at The Offspring/Simple Plan/Sum 41 was miserable. So hot, Simple Plan was supposed to go first but their guitarrist passed out and had to get an IV, so they had to change the set so Sum 41 would go first, hoping that by the time SP went on the sun would be gone. Sets were great, but also had a guy behind me to my left puke during Sum 41 (the guy directly behind me had vomit on his shirt lol)

What venue?
Claude!
Lyle Lovett and His Large Band at the Knight Theater in Charlotte on Thursday. Great show and a really good venue. Played a wide variety of his stuff and a few covers (plus leading the audience in singing happy birthday for a kid he knew in attendance), told some funny stories, and everyone in the band got at least one chance to shine. Didn't play LA County, which was kind of a bummer, but I was grinning ear to ear for If I Had a Boat and That's Right You're Not From Texas.
Proposition Joe
maroon barchetta said:

jorgerr96 said:

What venue?

Germania in Austin.

The shed shows are taking a beating in Texas -- for the most part they are at that time of their life cycle where they are hosting acts that are a major stretch (Offspring and Co. have no business playing a 20k amphitheater. Ditto the other acts recently like Boy George/Culture Club and Morris Day and The Time), but LiveNation has to fill out a contractual calendar so smaller acts get bumped up.

But it's compounding in a year like this with regular ridiculously hot temperatures.

Mudvayne (tonight at Dos Equis in Dallas) has should be headlining a 8k venue. Put them in a 20k outside venue and have it start when the thermometer is sitting at 106?

No thanks.
jetch17
AG
Saw mudvayne & pantera lined up in the coming days in the woodlands pavilion … sounds hellacious
maroon barchetta
Saw him in February for the first time. With his acoustic band.

It was excellent.

Those last two songs you mentioned can make anyone feel good.
maroon barchetta
jetch17 said:

Saw mudvayne & pantera lined up in the coming days in the woodlands pavilion … sounds hellacious

Went to ZZ Top and Skynyrd. A couple weeks ago. The sun not getting behind the hill until 8:30 or so is not helpful.
JYDog90
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Saw him in February for the first time. With his acoustic band.

It was excellent.

Those last two songs you mentioned can make anyone feel good.

Saw him in Sugar Land with his large band at the end of the tour. It was great, especially with the local stories. Only complaint is that since we're at the end of the tour the merch is always picked over or non-existent.
jorgerr96
Germania Amphitheater inside COTA
KidDoc
AG
Loverboy was good at the Woodlands this weekend. I wish Mike would get on some Wegovy and drop some of his weight for his own sake because he sure can sing still!

Foreigner was reliable. Was sad to not have Mick show up but probably not safe for him with the heat. They talked a bit too much for me would have loved to add Long Way from Home instead of instrumentals and chatting with the limited time window of the Woodlands.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cajunaggie08
AG
Proposition Joe said:

maroon barchetta said:

jorgerr96 said:

What venue?

Germania in Austin.

The shed shows are taking a beating in Texas -- for the most part they are at that time of their life cycle where they are hosting acts that are a major stretch (Offspring and Co. have no business playing a 20k amphitheater. Ditto the other acts recently like Boy George/Culture Club and Morris Day and The Time), but LiveNation has to fill out a contractual calendar so smaller acts get bumped up.

But it's compounding in a year like this with regular ridiculously hot temperatures.

Mudvayne (tonight at Dos Equis in Dallas) has should be headlining a 8k venue. Put them in a 20k outside venue and have it start when the thermometer is sitting at 106?

No thanks.
Germania claims to hold 14,000 people but there are only 5,240 permanent reserved seats. I'm guessing they can squeeze in around 600 in the pit in front of the seats and there is no way that lawn can fit 9,000

My brother went to the Offspring show and he said it looked full so I think they were fine booking that venue based on their ability to draw. Now the fact that these outdoor pavilions have their main concert season in summer is fine for most of the country, but absolutely sucks ass to go to these shows in Texas.
aggiechick
Went to Loverboy/Foreigner at Dos Equis in Dallas on Friday. It was so hot I thought I'd be the only person there but it was packed.
Why do they schedule these bands outdoors in August?!?
Loverboy was great. Foreigner was outstanding. Everybody seemed to be having a good time and both lead singers' voices were holding up nice. Foreigner made it a point to say there were no backing vocals and everything was live unlike other bands. He also said they swore they would give a 110% every night and I believed them.
jorgerr96

Stevie Nicks last night. They started releasing more areas side stage view last week at $200, then the price drops began since like Sunday, so I kept monitoring. Front rows to the corners were released for $1000 but were $550 yesterday at around 2 pm. Level 100 in the middle dropped to $150 an hour before.

I went for a side seat on level 100. When released at first, these were $200, then the other side price dropped to $150 on Monday, until they lowered both sides to $99 at noon yesterday, so seat was $128 after fees.

This was a great show. The band was great all night around and setlist had all the hits. It was cool to see people in the younger age demo willingly being there and singing along vs being dragged by their parents.

One thing that bothers me, and this is every time I see a legacy act, is that there is always that one guy behind me that somehow has no idea his flash is on.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Smashing Pumpkins were really good last night when they played songs I know. The stuff from the last couple decades was almost unbearable. Rival Sons killed as always. I hate that they went on so early and only got 45 minutes.
maroon barchetta
You're at a concert where there are a bunch of olds. Of course there will be people that can't work their phone cameras!
maroon barchetta
Did you buy off of Ticketmaster/LiveNation?
jorgerr96

Yep, I looked at Stubhub as well as that's where I got a killer deal for Kid Rock day of, but once full side sections were added over the weekend I figured Live Nation was going to drop prices day of. Seen it for a few other shows this summer. GNR for example has PIT at $350-400 for most of the tour but Pittsburgh went down to $150 the day before (didn't check how much they were going for day of). That's the show at the Alamodome I will look into, pit still available so that's good news for hoping for a major price drop
maroon barchetta
BG Knocc Out
maroon barchetta said:

jetch17 said:

Went to ZZ Top and Skynyrd. A couple weeks ago. The sun not getting behind the hill until 8:30 or so is not helpful.
Going to Pantera tonight. We went to Slightly Stoopid/Sublime a few weeks ago and it was insanely hot...that being said, when we got up to the lawn we found that the place to be was the far left side of the lawn (if facing the stage), as there was a pretty consistent breeze coming through making it feel pretty pleasant.

The bathroom down the stairs from that spot was basically an unbearable brick oven. I have never heard so many grown men verbally curse the heat. Felt like 130 in there with zero circulation or air flow and I walked out looking like I had jumped into a pool. You would think they'd install one of those 'Big Ass' industrial fans at least, if not A/C.

Regardless, looking fwd to the show tonight...trying to get there just before Pantera as I don't care about any of the other bands and want to minimize my time spent there with the sun still up.
maroon barchetta
You gotta hit the restrooms in the lounge. A/C in those restrooms.
digging tunnels
AG
You gotta see Lamb of God. Saw them with with Megadeth a couple years ago. I didn't know their stuff but they were great

Looking forward to the both shows tonight!!

And yes, gotta use the lounge bathrooms
BG Knocc Out
digging tunnels said:

You gotta see Lamb of God. Saw them with with Megadeth a couple years ago. I didn't know their stuff but they were great

Looking forward to the both shows tonight!!

And yes, gotta use the lounge bathrooms

If you had to guess, roughly what time would you expect LOG and Pantera to come on? They haven't been to many concerts over the last few yrs.
62strat
AG
setlistfm shows a random pantera show at 9:15-10:40.

Denver shows says 7pm show time.. single opener @ 30 min, 20 min change, LOG at 60 min, 20 min change, so 9:15ish sounds about right.

BG Knocc Out
62strat said:

Denver shows says 7pm show time.. single opener @ 30 min, 20 min change, LOG at 60 min, 20 min change, so 9:15ish sounds about right.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm Becoming excited for this show, although I know the heat will so F***ing Hostile I will want to be Shedding Skin. Especially during the Walk over. Will require Strength Beyond Strength and possibly Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills.

62strat
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

62strat said:

Good stuff, thanks. I'm Becoming excited for this show, although I know the heat will so F***ing Hostile I will want to be Shedding Skin. Especially during the Walk over. Will require Strength Beyond Strength and possibly Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills.

That's a new level of puns right there. All 10's for sure. That would have taken me 25 years to come up with all of that, but I bet you only spent about 5 minutes alone. Now excuse me while I take 13 steps to nowhere and go use my third arm IYKWIM
BG Knocc Out
62strat said:

BG Knocc Out said:

62strat said:

That's a new level of puns right there. All 10's for sure. That would have taken me 25 years to come up with all of that, but I bet you only spent about 5 minutes alone. Now excuse me while I take 13 steps to nowhere and go use my third arm IYKWIM
Echoes97
AG

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.