*** The Concert Thread ***

158,097 Views | 1969 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Duckhook
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure what the point of this was. Or could ever be.
G.I.Bro
He and Rick Nielsen should form a silly guitar band
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Not sure what the point of this was. Or could ever be.

I think that is strictly for irony/humor.. zz top bass lines are simple as can be.
johnnyblaze36
AG
New Guitar Day?
Philo B 93
How would y'all compare Lynyrd Skynyrd vs ZZ Top?

I love ZZ Top, but Skynyrd blew them off the stage. No surprise, I guess. Skynyrd has double the musicians and all are damn near half the age of ZZ's average. Both bands have a great catalog of songs, but Skynyrd has more a more dynamic range. Sing along with Sweet Home Alabama then she'd a tear to Tuesdays Gone. ZZ Top is more about shutting your eyes and nodding your head to the groove.
diamondag
I agree Lynyrd Skynyrd blew ZZ Top of the stage. It's unfortunate because I would've loved for those who hadn't seen ZZ at the best, get a view of some of their live performances magic from back then.

I figure at their age, this is the best they can give. It was very hot and took a toll on everyone

But I remember they used to coordinate dance moves and had a great light show. It was like every song had a specific visual performance with lasers ( very 80's) and spinning guitars. However, even with that upbeat ZZ Top performance version, Lynyrd Skynyrd still out performed ZZ Top. They really put on a great show

diamondag
It was a great show. They really put in the effort and performed amazingly. Lots of energy, great visuals, great set, and great response from the audience. One of the best shows I've seen this year up there with Lynyrd Skynyrd this past weekend.
spadilly
S
When Anberlin opens for Yellowcard near your hotel in San Diego, you walk over. Love these guys, but wasn't paying to grab a ticket when they're the band I want to see but are only playing seven songs as an opening act.

Proposition Joe
It's nuts to me that Yellowcard is 20+ years old. I saw them in college at La Zona Rosa in Austin open for the The Ataris.
Diggity
AG
Were you 18...and did it feel so right?
BCSWguru
anyone been to a show at Rowdy's in Spring? is it more like the Hall of Fame, or Harrys?
JYDog90
AG
BCSWguru said:

anyone been to a show at Rowdy's in Spring? is it more like the Hall of Fame, or Harrys?

It's funny. I think that spot is the location of the original Moe and Joe's.
jorgerr96
I just got back from Lollapalooza and it was definitely the last year I attend and last time I go to a festival where I have to hop on a plane.

Lolla raised capacity to 115k daily and you could feel it. Stages were packed, but Lolla nowadays attracts a lot of teenagers with zero concert etiquette or people that just want to go get effed up. Weather also made it muddy for Saturday/Sunday. I was not able to buy merch as the line was always a good 2 hour long every day.

RHCP was up vs Lana del Rey, and RHCP was NOT crowded. You could have plenty of room, and it cleared out hard after a mass exodus of people once Boogie with a Hootie (or something like that) finished his set. I think this was a sign for Lolla that legacy ROCK headliners just won't bring the pull to their fest anymore, as Billie Eilish had a huge crowd at that same stage on thursday night.

johnnyblaze36
AG
If anyone is looking for Pearl Jam TX tix still 200 levels have been dropping to $161 face value resale. I was so pissed at the onsale debacle and got waitlisted for just one date and got what I could for one Ft Worth date 100 level for $283 each so I just wrote off the rest of the dates.

But I started randomly checking TM the past couple of days and have scored 3rd row 200 level with good site lines to the Friday FW show and the Austin Tuesday show so now I'm in for 3 of the 4. Tix just below me are $600.
johnnyblaze36
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Lolla raised capacity to 115k daily and you could feel it. Stages were packed, but Lolla nowadays attracts a lot of teenagers with zero concert etiquette or people that just want to go get effed up. Weather also made it muddy for Saturday/Sunday. I was not able to buy merch as the line was always a good 2 hour long every day.

Maybe I'm just getting old but this sounds like hell on earth.
TheCellarDoor
AG
Check out Bourbon and Beyond in Louisville. It's an older crowd (I'm probably average at 40), and the music is much more my speed than Lolla, Coachella, etc. The festival is pretty efficiently run as well.

If you're willing to spring, the Beyond VIP tickets are absolutely worth it relative to premium tickets at other festivals. Front of stage viewing, air conditioned tents with seating, food and all you can drink craft cocktails, for about half of similar ACL tickets.
LandArchSA
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Will keep checking TM. Bought two tix in 200 level to Austin Monday show at about $200 each through seat geek but have friends also looking. Ended up about $300 each after fees, but the cheapest on TM were something like $400 last week. Crazy I paid that much but it's one of my wife's bucket list bands and I haven't seen them since the late 90's.
LandArchSA
AG
Watched some of it on Hulu this weekend. Did not look like I would have had a good time. Also didn't appear to have a stellar lineup. Kids got tired of me reminiscing about my one and only Lolla trip to Houston Raceway Park in '93.
Counterpoint
AG
LandArchSA said:

Kids got tired of me reminiscing about my one and only Lolla trip to Houston Raceway Park in '93.

I was there, so feel free to reminisce!
spadilly
S
Manchester Orchestra and Jimmy Eat World were both fantastic last night at 713 Music Hall. Both played about 70 minutes since it's a co-headlining tour. MO may have been the tightest band I've ever seen live. Everything was so perfect and in sync and JEW continues to get better and better every time I see them.

Fantastic setlists from both:
Manchester Orchestra

Jimmy Eat World
Proposition Joe
Going tomorrow in Irving. I keep saying I'm not a huge Jimmy Eat World fan but then I realize how many of their songs I actually like. That setlist will be nails.

Have wanted to see Manchester Orchestra for a good bit now, but a bit bummed that they aren't going to play I've Got Friends (I mean, come on -- it's still your biggest hit), and then are only apparently playing the last verse or two of I Can Feel A Hot One. Those are two of their best.

When LiveNation first start pushing out these co-headlining tours I wasn't a huge fan as it was more or less the same recycled acts paired with other recycled acts. But I think this is my 5th or 6th one to go to so I guess they were right about the allure.
62strat
AG
going to resist looking at metallica and pantera setlists for the dallas shows coming up. I saw the europe sets, but Met will likely change it up.
I do hope they keep the ktulu/orion in though, they rarely play those in the US.

KidDoc
AG
Got Foreigner and Loverboy Saturday night at the Woodlands! Should be a fun show. We saw Loverboy at the yearly Sands Rocks event in Cancun and Mike looked old but sounded great and it was a fun show. Foreigner is pretty much always great and we have seen them a ton including front row in Rudder the February before COVID shutdowns.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
spadilly
S
I would have like another twenty minutes or so of each one, but I guess this is one of the cons of "co-headlining."
Both could hold their own individually, but I did appreciate how wide reaching both set lists seemed to be.
Check Jimmy Eat World's instagram/social media during the day leading up to the show. They'll let you know what time each band plays/who's closing that night.
We had the following:

6:00 - doors
7:00-7:30 Middle Kids
8:00-9:10 MO
9:40-10:50 JEW
62strat
AG
70 minutes is not much at all. I just went to dream theater only for the opener, Devin Townsend. He played 60 min as an opener.

When I saw coheadline of gojira and opeth, they each did 90.
LandArchSA
AG
Wild traffic, super hot weather, and "Houston Raceway Park" was nowhere near Houston (as someone coming from Austin). RATM was right out of the gate. First time seeing Tool after being scared to death of their Sober video. Haven't stopped listening since. Middle of the pit during Fishbone's "Swim" nearly killed me. Dinosaur Jr. was loud. Jerry Cantrell's dad Rooster on stage for "Rooster" wildly drunk. Primus to top it off. Probably should have gone to the hospital with heat stroke. Drove straight back to Austin after the show. Dumb. Wish I still had the ticket stub.

Throw in PJ and Soundgarden and that Lolla was pretty much the playlist of my formative years.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Gov't Mule & Jason Bonham tomorrow. Pumpkins and Rival Sons next Tuesday. Likely skipping the Metallica shows because I don't want to pay that much and have to deal with the Jerryworld hassle. Thinking about seeing Glenn Hughes at the end of the month. He is doing a Burn tour which is my favorite Deep Purple song & album.
BG Knocc Out
Really want to see Pantera next week at Cynthia Woods, but the Slightly Stoopid/Sublime show was excruciatingly hot a few weeks ago, unless standing at the far northeast part of the lawn where the breeze was blowing. The men's bathroom was like the 6th Chamber of Hell. I have never been so hot in my life. People were pretty much baking in a cinder block oven with zero ventilation.
Jim01
AG
Glad it was a good show. I wanted to go in Houston but I just saw JEW last year at the same venue and figured the setlist would be similar and trying to watch the concert budget.
KidDoc
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Really want to see Pantera next week at Cynthia Woods, but the Slightly Stoopid/Sublime show was excruciatingly hot a few weeks ago, unless standing at the far northeast part of the lawn where the breeze was blowing. The men's bathroom was like the 6th Chamber of Hell. I have never been so hot in my life. People were pretty much baking in a cinder block oven with zero ventilation.
I got two of these for Woodlands show- still hot but does help!

Amazon.com: HandFan 2023 Upgraded 5200mAh Portable Handheld Fan Rechargeable Battery Operated, Small Personal Fan, Foldable Mini Desk Fan, Cooling Electric Fan for Travel, Outdoors, Indoors : Home & Kitchen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

That's not Pantera.
Counterpoint
AG
LandArchSA said:

Wild traffic, super hot weather, and "Houston Raceway Park" was nowhere near Houston (as someone coming from Austin). RATM was right out of the gate. First time seeing Tool after being scared to death of their Sober video. Haven't stopped listening since. Middle of the pit during Fishbone's "Swim" nearly killed me. Dinosaur Jr. was loud. Jerry Cantrell's dad Rooster on stage for "Rooster" wildly drunk. Primus to top it off. Probably should have gone to the hospital with heat stroke. Drove straight back to Austin after the show. Dumb. Wish I still had the ticket stub.

Throw in PJ and Soundgarden and that Lolla was pretty much the playlist of my formative years.

Yes, that was epic. Even though I was young I think I almost died of dehydration in the pit. And I still have the shirt!
BG Knocc Out
Know Your Enemy said:

BG Knocc Out said:

That's not Pantera.
Could say that about so many bands who have lost 1+ member. People could say the same about Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top on this thread. I have heard they still put on an awesome show, and they have two of the OG 4 members so I still consider them Pantera.

But yeah, I get it, it would be amazing to have Dimebag Darrell up there shreddin.

Know Your Enemy
AG
What's being billed as Skynyrd is not Skynyrd. ZZ Top still has 2/3 of the lineup including Billy Gibbons who is undoubtedly the biggest draw in the group. A group calling themselves Pantera without Dimebag is a joke and an insult to one of the greatest guitarists ever. All they have is Phil and the very replaceable bass player.
jetch17
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

What's being billed as Skynyrd is not Skynyrd. ZZ Top still has 2/3 of the lineup including Billy Gibbons who is undoubtedly the biggest draw in the group. A group calling themselves Pantera without Dimebag is a joke and an insult to one of the greatest guitarists ever. All they have is Phil and the very replaceable bass player.
also known as Down on any other outing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.