*** The Concert Thread ***

153,818 Views | 1956 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AggieRob93
OilfieldAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to the Dallas show, on the lawn too, my 5th Cure show ever (1992 and 1996 in Austin, 08,16, and 23 in Dallas.

It was a good set list last night. No OMG surprises really but 29 great tunes were played. I like that they've added "A Thousand Hours" and "Six Different Ways" to these US shows. Never had seen them live before.

Would also love to see them break out "Bloodflowers" songs more often but for some reason it's pretty rare in my experience.

I thought throwing in "Plainsong" was awesome in the middle of the 1st encore. I had only ever seen that one used as the show opener before.

After 5 shows in my life I'm down to just one song that I want so badly to see live and have never been so fortunate…and that song is "Faith". Probably never happen but man I could die happy if I got it one time!
johnnyblaze36
AG
That Plainsong placed in the latter portion of the show was unreal. I have good video of it but it's only 45 seconds because I hate being "THAT GUY". Your first show 1993 to 2023 is a great range.

It dawned on me towards the beginning that they have been playing live in SIX different decades. Insane.
Counterpoint
AG
I love when people are this passionate about music/concerts! And this was a great concert weekend for me as well.
94DallasAG
AG
Was at the Dallas Cure show as well. I saw them 34 years ago at the same venue for the Prayer Tour (Disintegration album) and they were as good, if not better Saturday.
CFTXAG10
AG
Went to Charlie Wilson, Freddie Jackson, and Jeffrey Osborne this past Sunday and it did not disappoint. Uncle Charlie killed it!

Next up is RHCP and The Strokes at MMP next Thursday.
Mike Elko
AG
The Strokes/RHCP last night at the Alamodome. Good stuff overall, but wish The Strokes had a longer set. Kiedes doesn't age.
WES2006AG
AG
Giving Bright Eyes another shot after the walked off after 2 songs a few months ago at White Oak. Hopefully they can make it through a full set tonight.

Excited for RHCP next week at MMP as well.
spadilly
S
DMB tomorrow night!
goadius6
AG
Dead and Co a week from today in Dallas!
jorgerr96

This is going to sound crazy but this was insanely easy. Got in and got out in 6 minutes once the sale started. Going to LA for Besame Mucho Festival again this year and going to do Disneyland the following Sunday and Monday, so I think I will fly to Vegas on Tuesday and come back Thursday.
Bunk Moreland
Just got to the woodlands for DMB. Hoping they kick off the tour with something special tonight.
spadilly
S
I'm about to head that way. Any tailgating going on? I was disappointed with the scene in the parking lots last year, but then again, I am used to doing the Buffett shows and nothing tops those.
Bunk Moreland
Nothing tops Buffet. The parking lot behind the lake generally has tailgating. I'm at a hotel nearby and tons of fans are having drinks in various areas with some music going.

Unfortunately the rest of my party isn't getting here until 6:30 so it's going to be tight for me to get over there too early. Need to snag a poster before the show.
johnnyblaze36
AG
goadius6 said:

Dead and Co a week from today in Dallas!
I'll be there as well. I suppose it will be my final time seeing them. Wish they were playing the Woodlands again like last year.
Mike Elko
AG
Steve Martin and Martin Short (and Steep Canyon Rangers) last night. Very entertaining! Such a unique performance.
Tailgate88
AG
spadilly said:

DMB tomorrow night!

Yesssss! Great show! A few too many new songs but since the album dropped yesterday I guess that is to be expected. They sounded incredible though. Nancies into Warehouse was the highlight of the night IMO.
spadilly
S
Yeah, I expected several new songs since it was album release day. I was somewhat surprised at how many repeats they did from last year's Woodlands show. I expected them to mix things up a bit.

The band sounded so tight and Buddy absolute stole the show again on keys.

All in all, a great night.
TXAG 05
AG
Bush with Out Lady Peace opening this coming Thursday at Bayou Music Center
cc10106
The Mars Volta put on a helluva show at 713 Music Hall last night. That's my second concert at that venue, and it may be the best in town, atleast sound-wise.
jh0400
AG
I'm surprised to hear that since the worst audio of any show I've ever been to was when I saw Colter Wall there.
jorgerr96
edit
Aggie87
AG
Caught Ringo Starr last night in Phoenix. It was a bucket-list show for me, and he didn't disappoint. His singing was good (well, as good as Ringo's going to sing), and his drumming was great, and he was in good spirits.

This year's band included Steve Lukather (Toto), Edgar Winter, Colin Hay (Men at Work), Warren Ham, Hamish Stuart (Average White Band), and Gregg Bissonette. The show alternated between Ringo doing solo or Beatles hits, and then the other band members taking leads on their own songs. The theater was in the round, and the stage rotated, so that was kind of different, but always a changing view. So you could see Ringo drumming from behind at times, which was interesting to see.
maroon barchetta
Man. That's a band lineup right there.

In his interview on Rick Beato's YouTube channel, Lukather talks about how much he enjoys being in Ringo's band.
gggmann
AG
There's a really good interview with Steve Lukather on YouTube where he talks about meeting George Harrison and getting his dream gig with Ringo.
johnnyblaze36
AG
gggmann said:

There's a really good interview with Steve Lukather on YouTube where he talks about meeting George Harrison and getting his dream gig with Ringo.
I was listening to 97.1 the Freak in Dallas on my way in to see Ween and moe. a few weeks ago and it ended up being four straight segments of this dude Jordan Richardson that was discovered by Ben Harper's manager while playing in a Zeppelin cover band in LA.

Guy got a phone call from Ben Harper which led to him being in Ben Harper and Relentless 7 which then led to them being Ringo's backing band followed by an opening gig with Ringo and the entire house band playing with Eddie Vedder, Sheryl Crow, and others before Paul McCartney at Radio City Music Hall.

It was a such a cool story.
Rocag
AG
Tailgate88 said:

spadilly said:

DMB tomorrow night!
Yesssss! Great show! A few too many new songs but since the album dropped yesterday I guess that is to be expected. They sounded incredible though. Nancies into Warehouse was the highlight of the night IMO.
Saw the Dallas show last night. Had a great time but the setlist wasn't anything special. Only a couple of songs I really liked showed up. Ants Marching was definitely the high point.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Rocag said:

Tailgate88 said:

spadilly said:

DMB tomorrow night!
Saw the Dallas show last night. Had a great time but the setlist wasn't anything special. Only a couple of songs I really liked showed up. Ants Marching was definitely the high point.
A "Why I Am" ender had to be choice. Love that tune.

ETA: I consider myself a somewhat big DMB fan and I don't recognize half the songs on that setlist. But "Crush" is such a phenomenal song.
jorgerr96

Went to Fort Lauderdale yesterday to go see Jason Newsted play his metal stuff for the first time since 2013. He doesn't really do much live music nowadays, and when he does, it's with his Chop House Band and always in either Florida or New York (recently because he bought a house there). He does art shows as well in Florida, so really all the stuff he does nowadays is for charity.

This show was announced I believe end of march, and he started doing interviews with Eddie Trunk, Let There Be Rock podcast, etc, and it was clear he wasn't going to do any kind of touring and this was a one-off so I decided to book the flight. I never got to see him play with Metallica as I was 4 years old when he left the band.

The show was great. No opener, just Newsted for over 2 hours, playing songs from his first album Heavy Metal Music, covers from Motorhead, Ted Nugent, and of course Metallica, as well as new stuff. You would think that once he releases the new music he would go on tour, but when I asked him he pretty much said he is not a fan of touring anymore.

I got him to sign some Metallica stuff for me. Sadly, as always, silver pens are a pain and 3 of my items got smudged lol. He also had no idea what the Vinyl Club releases were and stared at them for seconds and asked his handler if he has seen them before.
Bunk Moreland
Just gotta say... Following you here and the F1 thread... You are living your best life my dude.
Tailgate88
AG
Rocag said:

Tailgate88 said:

spadilly said:

DMB tomorrow night!

I agree - saw the set list and agree. It's always a crap shoot. Have seen some amazing set lists in Dallas over the years. One Sweet World is a great opener and I have not heard Granny in many years so that is a treat. Crush is in my top 3 and they always do it great live. After that the set list kind of fell off. :-/
Bunk Moreland
Getting Busted Stuff and YNK was a treat for the Dallas folks. This summer is going to definitely be an album push tour for obvious reasons so the epic nights will be limited. They still sounded great and I enjoyed the woodlands show.
maroon barchetta
Bunk Moreland said:

Just gotta say... Following you here and the F1 thread... You are living your best life my dude.

No kidding.

I hope he wears quality hearing protection because he sees a LOT of shows.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

No ***** I thought I was on quite a run for the past year and a half and then I check out jorgerr96's schedule and IG and realize I'm a complete failure.
NMAlamoAggie
AG
I was there as well. Just an excellent all around show. I took my dad and he had a blast as well.

Next up is:
Staind - Sep 1 - El Paso
Randy Rogers Band - Sep 30 - Artesia
StinkyPinky
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Went to Fort Lauderdale yesterday to go see Jason Newsted play his metal stuff for the first time since 2013. He doesn't really do much live music nowadays, and when he does, it's with his Chop House Band and always in either Florida or New York (recently because he bought a house there). He does art shows as well in Florida, so really all the stuff he does nowadays is for charity.

This show was announced I believe end of march, and he started doing interviews with Eddie Trunk, Let There Be Rock podcast, etc, and it was clear he wasn't going to do any kind of touring and this was a one-off so I decided to book the flight. I never got to see him play with Metallica as I was 4 years old when he left the band.

The show was great. No opener, just Newsted for over 2 hours, playing songs from his first album Heavy Metal Music, covers from Motorhead, Ted Nugent, and of course Metallica, as well as new stuff. You would think that once he releases the new music he would go on tour, but when I asked him he pretty much said he is not a fan of touring anymore.

I got him to sign some Metallica stuff for me. Sadly, as always, silver pens are a pain and 3 of my items got smudged lol. He also had no idea what the Vinyl Club releases were and stared at them for seconds and asked his handler if he has seen them before.
His Metal EP is outstanding. Shame it didn't get more exposure and he stuck with it for a full LP. Better than anything Metallica was writing at the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.