Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,596 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by bmc13
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lne2011 said:

If you want to save on yeast I have a few strains you're welcome to.

I mostly do lagers and APA/IPA. However I won a spike 10g kettle that I just upgraded to a MT and I have a 5g fermenter, so I'm planning to do a Belgian run here soon. Single/Dubble/SDA/SGA.

My kettles are 26g.
aTm '99
lne2011
AG
I've got plenty, if you ever want some. We always have these 4 stains on hand:

BSI-1 American Ale 1
BSI-29 Kolsch Ale
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

We currently have BSI-35 British Ale II for a few more weeks.

Email me at eric at no label brew dot com if you're ever interested.
AlaskanAg99
AG
lne2011 said:

BSI-1 American Ale 1
BSI-29 Klsch Ale

Didn't know you worked for NL. Yall have been turning out really good beer lately. May hit you up for some 3068 when I get to my German Pils in 3-4 weeks.
aTm '99
lne2011
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

lne2011 said:

BSI-1 American Ale 1
BSI-29 Klsch Ale

Didn't know you worked for NL. Yall have been turning out really good beer lately. May hit you up for some 3068 when I get to my German Pils in 3-4 weeks.

Thank you! I've been there 4 years, 2 years running the packaging line and the last 2 years have been doing brewing and cellar work. Our new head brewer we hired a year ago has helped improve the quality of the beer.

We have plans to do a German Pilsner sometime in the future.

Ornlu
AG
I'm taking the rest of this week off of work, and half of next week too. I've got a big week of brews planned. I haven't taken a day off work in 2021 so far, so Im just going to stay-cation it and brew a bunch.

Thursday I'm gonna start a kettle sour, plus make some hopped hard seltzer. Sunday, I'll boil the kettle sour. Monday I'm going to make an Octoberfest.

Tuesday I'll be making a 1.160 OG bizaro-thingy that a buddy is going to still into whiskey. 65% barley, 25% rye, 20% smoked malt. I'll add 4 pounds of amber extract, and another 2 pounds of brown sugar to get the OG up there. Then ferment with distillers yeast. Age on heavy toast Hungarian oak cubes after stilling.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have a new spike flex+ I'm going to use this week. 4 gallons HEB apple juice, 1 gallon Monty tart cherry, 3 cans of frozen concentrate. Dry cider yeast.

Break in this fermenter, I just have to find a stand for it so it'll reach my cooling rig lines.
aTm '99
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just kegged my IPA onto dry hops, 10g batch, 8oz of dry hops to a 10g keg with a floating diptube. 3 days in the house, then crash cool/carb. FG was 1.006. Which surprised me, but it's a very light SRM beer, 7% ABV. Hopefully the dry hops punches it up because it's very good, light and clean. Not the dank bomb I was hoping for. But it's been 2 years since I last brewed this wait and see.

Tuning up for an 18g batch of a light 5% APA split with a friend. This is based on my Harvest Golden Ale, which has 2 row, rye, oats and wheat in it. It's a crazy good wort, but instead of the golden ale hops, it'll have heavy APA hops. Nice light drinker.

Czech Pils carbing.

Pre-Prohibilition corny pils still fermenting.
aTm '99
AlaskanAg99
AG
Czech pils, first taste, kind of rough, but a lot of sediment in the keg. Will probably add gelatine today.

IPA 3 days in the house on dry hops, going to chill and carb today
Cider is fermenting really slowly. HEB apple juice x4g, hEB montorency Tarr cherry juice x1g, 3 apple juice frozen concentrate. Tasted at 1.020 gravity, Super tasty. I need to buy a few more gallons of the stuff.

Pre-prohibition pulse still fermenting.

APA 18g done just now. 5.4% is the goal, a few points under target nut not sweating it. I didn't measure my final volume so I may be spot on. Not too worried. Buddy took 5.5g, his will be on US 05, mine is repitch of 1056.

Have enough pils malt for 1 more 10g batch, so going to hold off.

Next I need to look at a 5g batch of something my dad won't drink. So I'm pretty sure it'll be an Adambier. But that's a lager, ****, maybe not.

4 batches in 4 weeks...cooking through the grain.

aTm '99
AlaskanAg99
AG
Well, I'm a dumbass on the flex+ with the gas QD/Pressure relief with dial pressure guage.

Cider is fermenting extremely slowly, but I never see bubbles in the blowoff, like, I can't figure out what's going on. 8 days later I'm out there staring at it tonight, and I realize I never put any teflon tape on any of the threaded fittings for this gas rig. DOH. Thankfully, it has been fermenting and was only down to 1.020 yesterday, so positive pressure and I'm not sweating it oxidizing, but this was seriously driving me nuts.
aTm '99
Ornlu
AG
My whiskey mash turned out low on OG (1.096 instead of 1.116). Smells slightly smoked already, fermenting in my laundry room.

Should I add some liquid amaloglucanase to gain the alcohol content back? I'm not sure if the distilling process needs residual sugars left behind, or if it'd be better to have a completely dry mash.
txagfisher
AG
Can I get some feedback on a NEIPA recipe? I got my YVH hop box in the mail today, and the contents have me finally wanting to make a NEIPA. What I have on hand to substitute if needed: galaxy, enigma, ella, motueka, rakau, columbus, el dorado, sonnet

Recipe Type All Grain
Yeast WY 1318
Yeast Starter 2L
Batch Size (Gallons) 6.5
Original Gravity 1.070
Final Gravity 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes) 60
IBU 48
Color 5.1 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 10 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 2-3 days @ 65

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 7.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
8 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
1 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 18.8 IBUs -
3.00 oz Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 17 Hop 14 12.7 IBUs -
2.00 oz El Dorado [18.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, Hop 15 9.6 IBUs -
2.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 16 4.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 17 Hop 17 1.9 IBUs -

2.00 oz El Dorado [18.00 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for Hop 19 0.0 IBUs -
2.00 oz Galaxy [15.90 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for 5.0 Hop 20 0.0 IBUs -
2.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [9.20 %] - 3.0 Days Into Prima Hop 21 0.0 IBUs -

1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml] Yeast 18 - -

Water Profile Ca: 105 Mg: 8 Na: 8 Sulfate: 120 Chloride: 200 Bicarbonate: 16 Mash Ph: 5.2

chilidogfood
AG
Personally, I'd change:
-Marris Otter to 2-Row (I even use Pils malt for an even lighter starting SRM and use Golden Naked Oats for color)
-Replace the crystal malts (Carafoam and Honey Malt) with Golden Naked Oats

-I don't think the Warrior bittering addition is necessary, but that's personal preference. You'll pick up some IBU from all the dry hops.
txagfisher
AG
So keep the flaked oats & also use golden naked oats?

I think im also going to pull the rakau hops out and up the galaxy & el D. After further research, i dont think the rakau is going to work well with the other hops.
Ornlu
AG
txagfisher said:

Can I get some feedback on a NEIPA recipe? I got my YVH hop box in the mail today, and the contents have me finally wanting to make a NEIPA. What I have on hand to substitute if needed: galaxy, enigma, ella, motueka, rakau, columbus, el dorado, sonnet

Recipe Type All Grain
Yeast WY 1318
Yeast Starter 2L
Batch Size (Gallons) 6.5
Original Gravity 1.070
Final Gravity 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes) 60
IBU 48
Color 5.1 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 10 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp) 2-3 days @ 65

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 7.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
10 8 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Malted Oats
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
1 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 18.8 IBUs -
2.003.00 oz Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 17 Hop 14 12.7 8(ish)IBUs -
2.00 oz El Dorado [18.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, Hop 15 9.6 IBUs -
2.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 16 4.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 17 Hop 17 1.9 IBUs -

2.00 oz El Dorado [18.00 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for Hop 19 0.0 IBUs -
2.00 oz Galaxy [15.90 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for 5.0 Hop 20 0.0 IBUs -
2.00 oz Rakau (Alpharoma) [9.20 %] - 3.0 Days Into Prima Hop 21 0.0 IBUs -

1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml] Yeast 18 - -

Water Profile Ca: 105 Mg: 8 Na: 8 Sulfate: 120 Chloride: 200 Bicarbonate: 16 Mash Ph: 5.2

The changes I'd make are above. Also, consider going no-boil:
https://brulosophy.com/2021/04/05/the-no-boil-effect-evaluating-the-impact-on-new-england-ipa-exbeeriment-results/
txagfisher
AG
After looking at the recipe again, i decided to pull out both the rakau & motueka to simplify things & not mash too many hops together. below is my new version. Thoughts?

12 lb 2 row
3 lb white wheat malt
2 lb golden naked oats

0.25oz warrior @ 60
4.00oz el dorado whirlpool
3.00oz galaxy whirlpool

Dry hop 1
2 oz el dorado
1 oz galaxy

dry hop 2
2oz el dorado
1oz galaxy

This should net me 1.074OG & 45 IBUs
Ornlu
AG
Why do you want the warrior in there? It adds SSSOOOOOO many IBUs. The style guidelines call for 15 IBUs.

I suspect that your answer is "that's just how I like my IPAs". Cool, me too. I brew a 120 IBU DIPA and a hopadillo clone that I love. But... Most people don't. I just wonder if you're brewing for yourself, or to the style.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Brew it, see how you like it, adjust. Brew, adjust.

No first batch will be what you want. Take a lot of notes.

Im not really happy with my ipa. Malt is fine, hop flavor is very lacking. Will rebrew. This is my ever changing 12yr house recipe. Doubling whirlpool and dry hops.

It's good, but not spectacular.
aTm '99
txagfisher
AG
You hit the nail on the head. It's just my personal taste. I'm not a huge fan of low IBU NEIPAs, and there's some breweries where I live that brew higher IBU beers that are fantastic.
txagfisher
AG
I'm going to take this approach. I've simplified down to something manageable to identify what works and doesn't, and will adjust from there. Brewing in a couple weeks once my Italian Pilsner finishes and will report back!
AlaskanAg99
AG
txagfisher said:

I'm going to take this approach. I've simplified down to something manageable to identify what works and doesn't, and will adjust from there. Brewing in a couple weeks once my Italian Pilsner finishes and will report back!

I could give the most perfect recipe ever*

For my system and my tastes. Everyone is different, and it takes iterations holding as many variables the same and changing 1 at a time. My problem with my west coast IPAs is I brew with whateber hops I have on hand. And I get hops from all over, a lot free, but maybe old. So it's an always moving target.

So, get some friends commit to spending $$$ and brew and give away quickly so you can rebrew. If you want to nail down a single beer, plan to brew it every 3 weeks. Sounds crazy, but you'll learn your system for a single beer and everything will be so fresh in your head you'll be able to tact quickly. AND harvest yeast, so that side of the cost will be free. And fresh.

I'm about to do that with my IPA and at 10g batches, it's going to cost me a ton, but I have to figure this out.

Which is my biggest problem. Consistency.

And not brewing for 18 months.
aTm '99
txagfisher
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

This might be the worst part. I took a 2 year break to focus on some other projects and shaking the rust off sucks. My house brut ipa managed a measly 60% on my first run back. Took me a couple brews to get back in the swing of things.
AlaskanAg99
AG
txagfisher said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

This might be the worst part. I took a 2 year break to focus on some other projects and shaking the rust off sucks. My house brut ipa managed a measly 60% on my first run back. Took me a couple brews to get back in the swing of things.

I feel ya, I made some dumb mistakes and spent a grip on stuff I needed Ala PBW/Starsan and stuff I forgot I was out of.

And my dad "helped" and he said 'this isn't hard ' so I brought out the laptop and showed him the infinite variables. The mechanics of brew day isn't hard (with practice) but that isn't what makes good beer. Hrs an engineer and while he didn't grasp the art, he understood the concepts. At the end "oh...thats a lot "

And this is what I tell people.

Make beer is easy.

Making excellent beer is extremely difficult.

17 years in and I really feel like I'm starting all over again. Which is good, I'm ready for the work. But I Have to find people to take my beer off my hands!

aTm '99
lne2011
AG
txagfisher said:

After looking at the recipe again, i decided to pull out both the rakau & motueka to simplify things & not mash too many hops together. below is my new version. Thoughts?

12 lb 2 row
3 lb white wheat malt
2 lb golden naked oats

0.25oz warrior @ 60
4.00oz el dorado whirlpool
3.00oz galaxy whirlpool

Dry hop 1
2 oz el dorado
1 oz galaxy

dry hop 2
2oz el dorado
1oz galaxy

This should net me 1.074OG & 45 IBUs

This is good. Grain bills for most beers should be simple. If you want to make your beer quality and taste top notch, do it through technique.

For a NEIPA, you want to showcase those hops. I would take an ounce out from the whirlpool of each hop and put it into dry hop 2. Or, if you have enough hops, leave the whirlpool additions the same and still add an ounce to each hop in dry hop 2.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Hopping back on the horse after a 10-month newborn-induced hiatus.

Brewing a Saison this weekend, then a pumpkin beer in September, then a NEIPA in October, wrapping up with a SMaSH Mosaic IPA in November.

For those that haven't seen Yakima Valley Hops is running a flash sale for $14 2020 Mosaic that ends tonight. Pretty good deal.

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/mosaic-hop-pellets?variant=34609025122437
AlaskanAg99
AG
Nice on the beer and the mosaic alert.

I'm just starting g to get my first 2 beers on tap and cleaning out my kegerator of old nasty stuff. Keg washer is going into overtime today.
aTm '99
Chipotlemonger
AG
Got a NEIPA on deck, not sure when I will brew it. Trying to clear out some of the beer fridge before I make it.
fav13andac1)c
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I'm just starting g to get my first 2 beers on tap and cleaning out my kegerator of old nasty stuff. Keg washer is going into overtime today.
Nice! Was your keg washer DIY or did you purchase?
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Nice! Was your keg washer DIY or did you purchase?

DIY, smallest sump pump at HD and some fittings. I had one that was all fancy that would pump through the dip tubes, butnits just safer to tear down a keg each time, toss it on and blast that sucker clean. Then waterfall/transfer Starsan keg to keg.

My Czech pils is garbage. I don't know if I had old malt or if the sack was domestic Pale 2 row vs pils, but its off. Not infected, but just off for style. I had all sorts of efficiency issues, so I dumped a lot of old DME into it andnthat could have been an issue as well. IPA is much better, still green so going to hit it with gelatine to drop particulates out.

Brew and learn. Brew again.
aTm '99
Ornlu
AG
I have 4 kegs full of fermenting beer, and 3 clean sanitized kegs to fill this weekend. Soon, I will be at-capacity.

Can you share more details, including pics, of your Keg washer build? I need this in my life.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'll take pic's tomorrow. It's ghetto, but it's cheap and it works amazingly. I need to dump the PBW in it as it's cloudy now, I try to wait until I have 5+ kegs that need cleaning.

Which reminds me, I'm about to post to CL in Houston, I have 7 pins and 7 ball lock kegs that will be for sale. I have never used these, so they are condition unknown, assume they need all the gaskets replaced.

Plus I will have a grain mill for sale and a v1 beer gun.
aTm '99
AlaskanAg99
AG
I need to go take pics.

I just kegged my Montmorency Tart Cherry Cider, it completely dried out and took all the 'juicy' quality with it. Which is what I should have expected and it's 7%. Thankfully tasting it at 1.020 gravity gave me a starting point. Normally I enjoy a dry champagne style cider, but this one is kegged and will settle for 2 days, wife and will pull 50oz off and enjoy it. I'll then add campden tabs and metabisulfite to the existing keg, shake the **** out of it, and let it settle for a few days. Fresh keg will have 1 or 2 frozen apple juices in it, and 46oz of cherry juice. Then carb this up and see how it tastes. If needed, will drink it down another 50oz and add another 46oz of cherry juice. Checking gravity along the way.

I haven't done this before so it is completely figuring it out as I go.

Amber Lager is getting better with time, just added gelatine to a keg to get it crispy clear. Will do the same thing with my IPA later today.

2 more beers to be kegged this weekend. Pre-Pro pils w/ flaked corn, and an APA. Taking the weekend off from brewing so I can sort everything out, get everything clean and plan out the next few beers. Which will be 5 gallon batches, need something roasty stouty or chocolatey porter.

I just sorted out a 2nd cider on the existing yeast cake, this one with raspberry puree and 46oz of the cherry juice. Although, I'm quickly deciding there's no real point of fermenting this out since all the flavor vanishes. I may just do 4.25 gallons of a 8% cider and rack it into a keg with 1gallon of cherry juice.
aTm '99
Ornlu
AG
So why'd you wait until the worst time of the year to get restarted brewing? I love brewing outdoors, even in January, but in August it's such a beatdown.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ornlu said:

So why'd you wait until the worst time of the year to get restarted brewing? I love brewing outdoors, even in January, but in August it's such a beatdown.

I had back issues that finally got me to the point I could start again. And I was sitting on 2 sacks of malt that were 6 months old. 1st two batches Temps were in the 80s. Then it got hot.
aTm '99
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ok, here's my super sophisticated keg washer.

2 Homer buckets, bottom of one is cur out Soni could make it taller.

Then the pump, pretty simple. Just make sure your pvc is 6-8" shorter than the height of the keg so the water can blast out.

Keg on the washer, balanced on the sump pump.

This used to be very fancy with keg supports and QDs to blast out the poppets and dip tube, but now I disassemble the keg each time and clean those separately.

aTm '99
fav13andac1)c
AG
Simplicity is often times the most effective! Thanks for sharing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.