Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,113 Views | 3346 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by swampstander
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sanitation crew?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I'll be doing a little bit of everything, which does include sanitation. Cleaning kegs, harvesting yeast, taking gravity samples, cleaning tanks, doing deliveries, helping mash in, etc.
AlaskanAg99
AG
After 2 months off time to get back to brewing. This sat is a double brewday. 12 gallon's off pre-prohibition American lager made with 6 row and flaked maize. I've never brewed with either in 14 years, and then 12 gallon's off my imperial stout.

We have a 55 bourbon barrel going and I need to dedicate some as top off beer, we will be packaging it in October at the 1 year mark. I just hope it's not as hot this Sat as it was last Saturday.
chilidogfood
AG
Where do you keep your barrel for aging? I'd like to be able to do something like that, but would need a walk in cooler or something.

I get insanely jealous of people up North that have cellars to bulk age barrels/carboys/etc.

edit: lol, I just read your username and figure you probably have plenty of cool space
AlaskanAg99
AG
I live in Houston. The barrel is sitting in an AC space its not at cellar temps. You need some temp fluxuations to drive the beer in and out of the staves so it picks up flavor.

But once packaged you should keep it cooler.
62strat
AG
Planning to do a lager for the first time next Thursday. Going with my uncle's award winning doppelbock recipe.

28 lbs munich
4 lbs of caramunich
6 lbs pilsner LME
3 oz hallertauer @ 60 min and 1 oz @ 30 min.
WLP 833

1.095 OG, 20 IBU, 19 SRM, and 9% abv.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Brewing 12 gallons of lager Baltic Porter this weekend.
Kyle98
AG
I haven't been very active lately on the thread, or with brewing. Brewed a New England IPA back in August and I have a Baltic Porter fermenting right now.

What yeast are you going with? I used Wyeast 2141 (Bohemian Lager). Started it around 50*F for a couple of days, then slowly brought it up to 58*F over 10 days or so. It's at 60*F now. We're going out of town starting tomorrow through the 26th, so I'll drop it down to 38*F tomorrow before we leave and let it lager while we're gone, then package when we get home.

Got way better efficiency than I expected, and OG was 1.093.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have 12 gallons each to keg of Adambier#2. 5 gallons clean to sit for a year and 5 gallons into a pin lock for souring. I have another 5 gallons on roselare and french oak blend of heavy/med french oak cubes soaked in bourbon. This time I'm going with a flemmish sour mix, med/light toast french oak soaked in Brandy. I plan to sour them 1 year each before tapping. I use pin lock kegs for sours to keep things straight.

Then I have a IPA I need to dry hop in ankeg for a week before splitting it to 2 t gallon kegs.

Shooting for a high OG of 1.099 on the porter, using WLP German Oktoberfest yeast. 5l starter going now.

I also have a 5 gal batch of an oatmeal stout with Irish ale yeast and aged on chocolate nibs to keg. I have a cider kit to lake to replace the carboy with.

62strat
AG
Kyle98 said:

I haven't been very active lately on the thread, or with brewing. Brewed a New England IPA back in August and I have a Baltic Porter fermenting right now.

What yeast are you going with? I used Wyeast 2141 (Bohemian Lager). Started it around 50*F for a couple of days, then slowly brought it up to 58*F over 10 days or so. It's at 60*F now. We're going out of town starting tomorrow through the 26th, so I'll drop it down to 38*F tomorrow before we leave and let it lager while we're gone, then package when we get home.

2124? A german lager yeast fora baltic porter huh?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I read somewhere it was a good choice.

Or maybe when I bought it I intended to do an Oktoberfest then changed my mind. It's been a crazy fall/winter and now I can't remember.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ok, now I remember. I visited WL and entered the style and it returned with their recommended yeast. WLP820 Oktoberfest is one, doesn't attenuate as much, so I'm going to mash a bit lower and I step mash all my beers. It also has a bit higher warm range at 58 and I can maintain 55 but cooler is an issue, I'd rather be in the middle of one strain temp range vs high end of another.

But that was decided before our current cool spell. I'll have to use the conical warmer and I'll shoot for the low end range of the 820.

See how it turns out, may use a different strain next time. And I do believe my intent was to do a fest beer first, but my schedule got totally out if whack.
Kyle98
AG
Quote:

2124? A german lager yeast fora baltic porter huh?
Yeah, it's actually one of the reccomended strains for the style.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-style/baltic-porter

I wanted to use the WLP820, but Dallas Home Brew was out when I picked up my ingredients. I waited until the last minute to buy the stuff, and I needed to do the starter that night.
Kyle98
AG
Here's my Baltic Porter Recipe (6 gallons into fermenter):

11.5lbs German Pilsner
11.5lbs Light Munich
0.5lbs Vienna
0.5lbs De-bittered Black
0.5lbs Special B

Mashed @ 150*F
90 minute boil

1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Styrian Golding @ 10

Calculated 1.083 OG but ended up with 1.093. It's been a while since I brewed, so I was surprised I got that good efficiency. Should be close to 10% when it's done.
62strat
AG
huh I didn't even realize Baltic porter was a lager. Haven't had one in ages, I may seek one out. I kegged 10 gallons of a more American style porter I kegged about a month ago. I threw in vanilla beans that were cut up, scraped and soaked in gentleman's jack for a few weeks. Then I put lactose in one of the kegs. I think they are about ready to start drinking.

I finally will get my keezer set up this weekend. I was just about done setting it all up a few weeks ago, then decided I wanted to switch to flow control faucets, go from 4 faucets to 6, and change everything on the liquid side to john guest fittings. Several orders and weeks later, I will finally get the remainder of the parts in today. So, 30 gallons of beer has just been sitting undisturbed in the keezer for about 3 weeks now!

Currently kegged:
5 gal of cinnamon raisin apple cider
5 gal of Belgian tripel
10 gal of Belgian dubbel (5 gal with WLP 500 trappist and the other 5 with WLP 530 abbey)
10 gal of Whiskey vanilla bean porter, 5 gal of it with lactose
fav13andac1)c
AG
That porter sounds stellar! How did you add the lactose? Just straight powder into the keg, purge and swirl?

Did a NEIPA recently with Mosaic, Citra and Azacca. Been working on understanding water profiles and brewing a beer with very specific water guidelines seemed to be the best way to go.

Have a couple beers planned for January and February. First is a Belgian Quad with persimmons. My buddy's parents have a tree and we usually get several pounds each winter. First quad for me.

Second is sort of a table beer. 2.5% ABV, Belle Saison yeast, hopped with CTZ and Cascade, lightly spiced with coriander. I drink a lot more beer than I used to, so a crusher would make me feel less guilty. Ha. Plus I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of a low alcohol beer that doesn't taste like water.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The trick to lower ABV beer not being water is to actually mash higher. You'll retain body but not have it overly sweet and yet low ABV and not watery.

62strat
AG
A few hours before I kegged that vanilla porter, I pulled off about a half gallon from the fermenter and boiled it on stove adding the lactose. Let it cool, then tossed it in while I was kegging. I only put it in one of the kegs because I wasn't sure how much I should use, and if I over shot it, I could always pour half a pint of each to balance it.

Turns out, it was pretty lactosy when I tasted it a few days after kegging. It may have gotten more subdued now, I'll see soon enough.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Oh for sure. I'm also using a relatively large percentage of carapils.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Got a late start to brewing as I had to replace a wiring harness in one of our cars and get it inspected. My favorite part of brewing today is the cold tap water...chilling will be a breeze.

62strat
AG
Are you in alaska? Wouldn't your water always be cold?

My Denver water in middle of summer is still like 55-60 degrees.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm from Alaska, I live in Houston.

Was a long brewday as I had to clean up the garage to brew. And I take my time, I was in no rush to set any records.
chilidogfood
AG
Finished my xmas beer (gift) for friends and family

(note: the wax was still warm and a bit transparent at the time of the photo)

chilidogfood
AG

fav13andac1)c
AG
Those are so sick!
Moxie
AG
I've always wanted to try homebrewing and finally got a chance to try it this past weekend from a Christmas gift. I received a Brooklyn Brew 1gal APA kit and had a blast making it Sunday afternoon. Currently it's bubbling away in the closet around 68F.

I also read through the entire thread over two days and learned a ton. With that, I have a couple of questions if anyone is still hanging around.

Living in CS, I read way back that the water is terrible for homebrewing. Is there something I can do to combat that?

The recipe says to ferment 2 weeks, which i intend on doing, then was thinking about cold crashing it in the fridge for a couple days to help drop some of the sediment I brought over from the kettle. Not knowing any better, I just dumped the kettle into the carboy through a funnel after dropping temp under 70F. There is a solid inch or two of sediment in the carboy now.

I guess the next step is going to be to move up to a 3 or 5 gal set up since I want to continue to develop this hobby. If anyone is selling equipment, let me know!

Also wrote down a ton of recipes from throughout the thread that I can't wait to try!
txagfisher
AG
Moxie said:

I've always wanted to try homebrewing and finally got a chance to try it this past weekend from a Christmas gift. I received a Brooklyn Brew 1gal APA kit and had a blast making it Sunday afternoon. Currently it's bubbling away in the closet around 68F.

I also read through the entire thread over two days and learned a ton. With that, I have a couple of questions if anyone is still hanging around.

Living in CS, I read way back that the water is terrible for homebrewing. Is there something I can do to combat that?

The recipe says to ferment 2 weeks, which i intend on doing, then was thinking about cold crashing it in the fridge for a couple days to help drop some of the sediment I brought over from the kettle. Not knowing any better, I just dumped the kettle into the carboy through a funnel after dropping temp under 70F. There is a solid inch or two of sediment in the carboy now.

I guess the next step is going to be to move up to a 3 or 5 gal set up since I want to continue to develop this hobby. If anyone is selling equipment, let me know!

Also wrote down a ton of recipes from throughout the thread that I can't wait to try!
Use distilled water if you are doing extract kits. Use distilled water and minerals to build intended water profile on all grain setups. You can also look at installing a RO system and building your water profile if you want.

Nothing wrong with pouring the wort directly from kettle into carboy (once chilled to pitching temps). Tons of people ferment on top of trub with no issues, myself included. On your next batch, pick up a hydrometer to test the gravity. At your 2 week mark, take a gravity reading every day for 3 days. If the gravity does not change, fermentation is complete. Lack of bubbles in the airlock is not a good way to tell if your beer is done fermenting.

I live out of state but have some extra equipment out in the garage. Shoot me an email at username @ gmail and we can talk more
Moxie
AG
Sent you an email. Thanks for the suggestions!

Planning on picking up a refractometer this week to have on hand next week when it should be getting close to finished.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Welcome to your new obsession!

Just a heads up, the refractometer works great for taking readings on brew day, but you'll need to use an online calculator if you want to take readings out of the fermenter.

Such as this. http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

And as txagfisher said, there is nothing wrong with kettle trub in the fermenter. In fact, there was a study done that suggests that more trub could be beneficial for the yeast.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Happy brewing!
Moxie
AG
Bottled by Pale Ale 3 days ago to sit for another week or so, put a 1gal Mosaic IPA into the fermenter last week to be bottled in a few days, and tried my hand at a 5gal brew this past weekend.

What an awful session with tons of mistakes:
  • Used the Bru'n water calculator to set up my water ahead of time. Then, ended on subbing 3gal of spring water to reduce sodium on brew day (suggestion from LHBS) and forgot to change my calculations. From that, I added double the lactic and had to correct with baking soda, so now I have even more sodium than I started with!
  • Forgot to heat wort to 170 before pulling grains (BIAG with full volume mash and just pulled it up after the hour mash)
  • Was shooting for an OG of 1.040, but only hit 1.032 after boil and didn't have any ME to bring it back up (probably from low pH and mash problems but open to any suggestions)
  • Poured about 1.5gal on the floor trying to transfer into the carboy using a funnel (really need a better method of doing this)
So now I have a ~3% blonde ale (if you can call it that) fermenting in the pantry. Needless to say, I don't have high hopes with this batch but I am having a ton of fun with the hobby! Maybe I'll make good beer one day. Haha
diehard03
Quote:

(probably from low pH and mash problems but open to any suggestions)

less pH and more the lack of 170 step. I don't believe you rinse the grains in a BIAB setup, so you retained more sugars in the bag than if it were hotter. To get the higher efficiencies with BIAB, you have to let it slowly trickle out...which not many people can do due to the weight of wet grain.

Did you try and pour 5g of liquid into a carboy? Get yourself an autosiphon and use gravity as your friend.

Quote:

Maybe I'll make good beer one day

Having homebrewed for many years now, I will tell you that PROCESS of brewing is much more science than art. You will quickly get to the point where is hard to make bad beer, processwise. For most beers, if you ferment with the right amount of yeast, at the lower end of the temp scale with quality ingredients and a known recipe, you CANNOT fail.

The art will come from recipes and ingredient selection.
Moxie
AG
I'm sure a lot of the sugars got left in the bag. I did try to hold it over the kettle for a minute or two but maybe I need to reserve a little water and do a sparge on top of the kettle to get better efficiency.

Yes, I tried to go into the carboy without a funnel and that did not work, then washed an old funnel to use for the remainder. It was messy and unproductive. I'll use an auto siphon next time.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm enjoying the hobby so far but have yet to try one of my beers. Excitedly awaiting for the taste test!
AlaskanAg99
AG
I've found with time you're always adding little gadgets or hardware to make your day easier. 14 years later and I'm still adding stuff.

The easiest way to lighten your load is to get some sort of arm above your kettle so you can wrap a rope over it and hoist your bag up and tie it off. Drain slower and more completely without exhausting yourself.

Next, drill a hole in your kettle and install a weldless ball valve. Open the valve to drain.

Lastly, position your burner high enough so you can drain with a hose directly into your carboy.
diehard03
Quote:

Lastly, position your burner high enough so you can drain with a hose directly into your carboy.

I prefer pumps
Brewmaster
AG
Kyle98 said:

Here's my Baltic Porter Recipe (6 gallons into fermenter):

11.5lbs German Pilsner
11.5lbs Light Munich
0.5lbs Vienna
0.5lbs De-bittered Black
0.5lbs Special B

Mashed @ 150*F
90 minute boil

1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Styrian Golding @ 10

Calculated 1.083 OG but ended up with 1.093. It's been a while since I brewed, so I was surprised I got that good efficiency. Should be close to 10% when it's done.
How'd it turn out?

Just personal preference and style wise, I'd dump the Special B and with that much Munich, the Vienna isn't going to do much.

A great Baltic Porter can be kept quite simple

I love the debittered black, especially in a baltic porter!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.