Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

373,433 Views | 3345 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody on this board have one of these all in 1 brewing systems, or another one not listed?

https://byo.com/article/electric-countertop-brew-systems/

I have slowed way down to the point I'm considering selling everything I have; large brew stand, dedicated upright freezer, 6 tap kegerator, spike fermenter plus the loads of ancillary equipment and storage containers.. It all takes up so much space not only in my garage but my basement as well.

This tech seems to have advanced quite a bit in the last decade, so curious on anyone's personal experience, especially someone who did all grain as well.
Chipotlemonger
AG
If I were starting over I would jump immediately to an all-in-one system. Much, much smaller footprint, less equipment to clean, and I get envious of watching people control their temps with simple switches!

I have a good system down now with my equipment, but I'm only brewing about twice a year right now. Need to sell my kegerator because I've got to where I ferment in a spare fermentation fridge and I end up just serving out of the fridge as well. Kegerator is collecting dust.

Not sure what all in one system I would go for personally. I like the look of the Clawhammer systems. I think some systems are more integrated with an app? Someone here may know better. I would be hesitant to shell out the $ for an app-driven system or a system where the app drives a lot of the value, just due to the possibility that the company may go solvent down the line.

Thanks for the thread bump by the way. I should have added, the amber lager I brewed around September or so is drinking really damn good right now.

AlaskanAg99
AG
There are so many new systems it's just mind blowing. Interesting that this was bumped as I'm finally having my 26g kettles welded tomorrow to go electric.

At this point I need to convert as I don't think the resell on a 20g gas burner is there.

If I were to start over I'd go with the lager Spiedle system.
swampstander
AG
I have a two tier hybrid propane-electric RIMS system with a single pump and two temperature controllers. I use electric to heat strike water and maintain/ step mash temperatures and propane for the boil kettle. It has been through 6 or 7 different iterations to get where it is now. If I had it all to do over again I would get a complete all electric HERMS system like the Blichmann or Wort Hog. I have spent enough money on failed ideas and mind changes I probably would be money ahead. That being said I would like to keep my propane system because its portable and can be taken places for brew days and home brewing demonstrations.

I was planning on brewing this morning but found out my pump was dead yesterday. A new one should be here today.
swampstander
AG
Got my brew in today. Double NEIPA sort of recipe but kinda west coast that I have brewed a couple times before. Has turned out great both times. Ends up about 9.5% but drinks like 6.5% so it can be dangerous. Brewday didn't go particularly well but everything seemed to come out ok (fingers crossed). This is the third generation of washed yeast so hopefully it's not getting weird. Got almost immediate fermentation after dosing a 900 ml starter. I will transfer to a keg on day three and dry hop under pressure for a week with a spunding valve.

And because it's a recipe thread:

"The Air That I Breathe" IINEIPA
Fermentables: mash at 154, 90 min boil
10lb 2 row pale malt
2lb torrified wheat
1.5lb flaked oats
1lb beet sugar (15 min)
Hops:
3/4 oz Cascade Mash hop (up from my typical 1/2 oz)
1/2 oz Cascade 60 min
2 oz Mosaic and 2oz Citra whirlpool (212-100, ~20 min)
2 oz Mosaic and 2oz Citra dry hop (@15 psi day 3-10)
Yeast:
Omega Yeast, Cosmic Punch (3rd gen washed)

It needs to condition a couple of weeks to let the hop vegetal harshness to settle out.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome. My preferred style of NEIPAs are the ones that crossover to more of the west coast realm. Glad they're becoming more prevalent. If you haven't tried it yet, look for Lagunitas Beast of Both Worlds. It's a great example of this hybrid approach.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but do any of y'all in the Houston area have an interest in any of this home brew stuff? I'm cleaning out my attic and haven't used any of it for years (turns out I like drinking beer much more than brewing it) but hate to just get rid of it without first asking. Not asking for any money if someone actually has a use for any of it.

For the bottles I've got about 50-55 bottles that I can run through the dishwasher first if you want them.
swampstander
AG
Brewing my St. Patrick's day stout while drinking my hazy double from a few posts above.

5gal
7 lb Maris otter
1.25 lb roasted barley
2 lb flaked barley
12 oz pre soured beer into the boil

1.5 oz E.K. Goldings @ 45min
S-04 yeast.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Well I effed up my back shortly after getting everything back so zero progress in 3 weeks. Also decided to just deep clean and take apart every valve etc...and while I was throwing stuff around a silicone line was crimped and split.

So now I think I should replace every setup there. Plus side is I can re-measure every connection and get rid of slack. Should make things somewhat more efficient.
swampstander
AG
Brewing up another batch of my IINEIPA. A few changes. I'm out of Citra so I am substituting Azacca for it. Adding an ounce of Amarillo in the whirlpool and an ounce dry as well. Upped the mash hop to 1.5 ounces and dropped bittering hop to 1/4 ounce. No particular reason, just exbeerimenting. Enjoying my dry stout from a couple weeks ago. Put half of it temporarily on the beer engine. 4th generation of washed yeast. Wish me luck.

Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a killer brew deck. Got any pictures of the whole patio setup? The stout looks great.
swampstander
AG
Here's a few snaps. We will take the plastic down after the pine pollen relents.

bmc13
AG
nice place!
Ornlu
AG
If you didn't have an ag tag, I'd accusing you of being Barnes.
Tanker123
In Desert Storm we added yeast to fruit juice. lol
Ornlu
AG
My kegerator's been full of homemade craft sodas for Lent - gave up beer. I made some barleywine last night, but it won't be ready until a couple weeks after Easter.
62strat
AG
not sure if anyone saw this on the denver board.. but I'm bowing out of homebrewing and selling everything I have. Not planning on shipping anything since it's all big stuff, so local denver people only, I know some of you on here are.

https://texags.com/forums/55/topics/2116610/replies/67242263
Ornlu
AG
Sad day.

Why you giving it up? Is this a health decision, a freetime decision, or a morality decision?
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

Sad day.

Why you giving it up? Is this a health decision, a freetime decision, or a morality decision?
free time and space. I'm definitely still drinking it! I'd like to get a simpler solution and was asking about all in one systems a bit back. All of this gear takes up a ton of space. Really been tough to dedicate a whole Saturday in the last couple years.

Two boys are 8/9 now, if not sports on weekends then we're camping.

Also just so much good beer now. I started this in 08ish in Houston. There were how many breweries there at that time… 2 or 3 I think?
Now I'm in Denver in 2024. I have every style of beer imaginable within a few miles drive of my house.
Ornlu
AG
Good to hear. Alot of the seasoned homebrewers are giving up the hobby either because they finally accepted they're an alcoholic, or because they've had a major health turn for the worse. Glad to hear it's happy news instead.
62strat
AG
no this is a definitely an amicable separation lol.

I had an 8 keg keezer in my garage that I parted out and sold all the guts, keeping just 2 shanks/faucets. Now I just have a typical mini fridge kegerator that holds 2-3 kegs, 2 taps, and it was liberating! I was taking way too long to go through kegs honestly.
Now I'm actually anxious to get rid of my fermentation freezer and tippy stand, both in my garage just taking up space not getting used!

Then there's the whole area in my basement full of homebrew stuff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.