Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,146 Views | 3346 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by swampstander
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sometimes I will have to grab the fly wheel and get it slowly started by hand so it grabs, then turn on the motor and let it fly.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Have my next 3 brews lined up with the first one (Centennial Blonde) being knocked out this morning. Brew day was done in about 3 hours.

July - Blonde
August - Pilsner
September - Ornlu's Strong Wheat
October - Pumpkin?

Also, really making some moves with updating my homebrew area and enhancing my enjoyment of this delicious hobby.

Before: brewing stuff scattered everywhere. No true place for brewing, or for anything really.

After: Everything neatly stowed away in a remodeled office.

Ornlu
AG
I am SSSSOOOOO jealous!

How's the AC in there?
fav13andac1)c
AG
We're excited and thankful!

Nice and chilly! It's a split unit as well, so it will be warm and cozy in the winter.
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Nice and chilly! It's a split unit as well, so it will be warm and cozy in the winter.

Why aren't the walls covered in yeast profile posters?
fav13andac1)c
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

I should have mentioned that I will be sharing this office space with my wife!
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

I should have mentioned that I will be sharing this office space with my wife!

There's 1 chair.
fav13andac1)c
AG
You're poking holes in my story! I go into my employers actual office most days, while she works from home most days.
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

You're poking holes in my story! I go into my employers actual office most days, while she works from home most days.

Why is she working in your brewery?
Is she the cellerman? How can she monitor ferm Temps if she doesn't have a yeast chart?!

What ARE you DOING man?!
fav13andac1)c
AG
You don't think I have a plan?!

Just earlier today I asked her to text me when the wort hit pitching temp. Gotta start small!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ornlu said:

I made a strong wheat beer a three weeks ago, that i just tapped today. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1275817/hefe-schwar-weizen It ended up about 7.1%. It's CRISP, with a very subtle banana note and more prominent peppercorn and clove notes. The oats left it with a very smooth mouthfeel. Hop notes are muted but present. I'm proud of it. It was done with Voss Kviek, so it's pretty dry on the finish.

What are you using for banana peel? Literally just a 5 gram piece of fresh peel in the boil?

And did you crack the pepper or leave it whole? Same with the cloves.
Ornlu
AG
The pepper and cloves were whole, yes. As was the banana peel - literally a long thin ribbon of peel. If it matters, my banana was overripe so the peel was freckled.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks!
Ornlu
AG
I have the next week off of work, mostly to spend with my family in Galveston. But I have a few days until it starts, so I decided I'm gonna brew a HopMonsterIPA on Monday night.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1299699/whopper-ipa

I wanna be more bitter than Stone's Ruination or Green Flash's Palate Wrecker. 130+ IBUs on a 7.2% beer.

Any advice on water chemistry?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I've always done a 3:1 sulfate/chloride ratio for heavily hopped Chico beers. Reversed for NEIPA.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Due to health reasons and other issues, I'm going to exit homebrewing. I'm in Houston and will begin liquidating my 18 year 'career' of brewing. I have a lot of stainless, if someone is looking for something there's a solid chance I may have spares etc...that I will sell at a discount over new. Some of it is still NIB. This coming weekend I'll start doing an inventory. I was in the process of going to convert my B3 V3 2020 gas flat system to a 30A single electric unit so I have a controller (used) brand new BrewBuilt heating elements and a host of other stuff.

I do have a NIB Chugger pump. They retail for $200, could let that go for $150.

Tons of kegs (ball lock), some 3 gallon pin locks.

If looking to buy something, probably hit me up first. I won't ship and I do work downtown a few days a week so anything on the I10 corridor is an option for a meetup.
Kyle98
AG
First brew in 3 years was a rousing success. Hit all my volumes and gravities on the nose.

1.055 OG and 1.006 FG

Tastes amazing!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sorry to hear that, hope all is well.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Sorry to hear that, hope all is well.

Back issues. Which lead to weight issues. Can't justify brewing so much and barely drinking any of it. Then dumping it as it rots.

I have a bunch of 2021 factory sealed hops as well. Those I could ship in a flat rate box.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Sorry to hear that. I appreciate all of your advice over the years and hope you stick around this thread.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Having my first full pour of an amber ale I brewed a little while back. Was sampling it these past couple of weeks and it has been tasting great. Paid more attention to my water this brew, and tried to keep the hopping simple. The payoff is nice! One of my favorites that I've made, objectively probably the best beer I've made too.

Went a full-bodied and malty amber ale to showcase that beautiful color and malt.

Kyle98
AG
That's a good looking amber!
AlaskanAg99
AG
I've moved 4 sacks of malt, this is what I have left.
1 bag rahr 2 row, $40
1 1/2 bag (30lbs) pilsner, $20
3 bins each $50 full of:
Marris Otter
Pale malt
Pilsner

West side Houston

I'll throw in dry yeast for free w/ purchase
Ornlu
AG
Are you selling your kegerator? Mine might be on the fritz.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ornlu said:

Well it's a walk in cold room built into the garage. So... I could sell you my house. But won't be cheap.
fav13andac1)c
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Ornlu said:

Well it's a walk in cold room built into the garage. So... I could sell you my house. But won't be cheap.
Would you throw in shipping?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I've sort of changed my mind on shipping, with USPS flat rate, if there's any smaller item's you're looking for let me know.

Turns out my pops stole my folding tables so I won't get my stuff laid out until tomorrow. But anything that's cheap to ship (or if you see something and you'll send me a fedex label) I'll def ship.

I have a ton of corny kegs, those are $35, at least 6 that are clean/sani and CO2 filled at the moment, probably 20 more as I get them cleaned. Won't ship those.

Pics to come. Have a Blichmann HopRocket ready to go if anyone is jonesing for one.

Also have a few 3 way valves, and 4 or 5 used ball valves.
Kyle98
AG
Any online home brew suppliers still sell grain by fractions of lbs? AHS doesn't anymore.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Kyle98 said:

Any online home brew suppliers still sell grain by fractions of lbs? AHS doesn't anymore.
AHS sold recently and their orders are now being fulfilled by Northern Brewer.

SoCo will do fractions of lbs if you order by phone.

https://socohomebrew.com/
Ornlu
AG
I haven't found any despite an extensive search. I've given up.
Kyle98
AG
Ornlu said:

I haven't found any despite an extensive search. I've given up.

I Just found Ritebrew. They sell by the ounce or pound. Anyone use them before?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Kyle98 said:

MoreBeer does 1/2 lbs that I seem to remember.

I loved the fraction setup from AHS, miss that too.
Kyle98
AG
I ordered from Ritebrew yesterday. They sell by the ounce or pound. I let you know how it turns out.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Downsizing equipment. These kegs are in 'deep' storage and I've never used them. All O rings should be replaced. $20ea is about what I paid for them. For an extra $3 I'll add new gaskets (5). 6 ball lock, 3 pin lock.

I need to stress I don't know their condition. I will offer a refund if they won't hold pressure.

Located W Houston.
Texstralian
AG
Do you have a conical fermenter you are looking to get rid of? I'm in the market for one. Ideally stainless and in the 7 gal range.
College station area code - triple seven - 5 double six 9

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.