Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,120 Views | 3346 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by swampstander
Moxie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bottled my Yellow Rose / Pilsner-Mosaic SMaSH last night.

I'm thinking I want to brew up something malty now to oppose the IPA, anyone have a good red ale recipe?
soso33
What was your Yellow Rose Clone recipe? How did you approach your dryhop? thx
Moxie
AG
It was from a Homebrewtalk thread which should be easy to find, but to save you a click:

6gal batch
1.064 OG 1.014 FG 6.6%abv

14.5lb Pilsner mashed at 150

All Mosaic hops in oz
.6@ 60
1.0@20
1.4@10
2.0 whirlpool
2.0 dryhop for 5 days

WLP001 @68 degrees f

I just threw the pellet hops in the fermenter to dry hop and it was a pain to rack out of so I would probably use a bag or something.

Also, my OG was 2 points high and FG 6 points lower so I would probably mash around 152-154. The sample tasted good with great aroma but a little too dry compared to what I remember YR tasting like. We'll see what it looks like in a few weeks.
AlaskanAg99
AG
So I made a boneheaded move. I brewed the other day and used the star San to both sanitize a conical and a carboy. Beer in conical a d the pear kit plus honey in the carboy. I had previously heated to 170F water in my HLT, then let it sit over night, and used that water to reach appropriate volume for the pear kit. It had a full pelicile by day 2 and I couldn't figure out the source of infection sine the beer was clean.

Had to be my top off water. Not to self, bring to a full boil in the future.
Moxie
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

So I made a boneheaded move. I brewed the other day and used the star San to both sanitize a conical and a carboy. Beer in conical a d the pear kit plus honey in the carboy. I had previously heated to 170F water in my HLT, then let it sit over night, and used that water to reach appropriate volume for the pear kit. It had a full pelicile by day 2 and I couldn't figure out the source of infection sine the beer was clean.

Had to be my top off water. Not to self, bring to a full boil in the future.
A full pellicle by day 2? Sounds really fast. Sure it wasn't just yeast?

And 170f should be fine for most bugs.

(170f = 77c)
AlaskanAg99
AG
It was a pitch from WL, English ale yeast. Maybe it was 4 days. Crazy fast no matter what it was. But the beer was clean. Beats me. Haven't tasted it yet to determine if it's a keeper or a dumper.
Moxie
AG
Very strange. Hope the beer turns out.

I'm still looking for a nice malty recipe. Maybe amber or red but could be persuaded if you have another idea!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Reds can be very tricky to hit a very small SRM range. Some of it will depend on how much kettle caramelization you get from your particular setup and if you're extract or AG. Then on top of that, do you want to get your color via crystal malts, roasted malts, or a combo of the two? I prefer the later, but there's a lot of ways to make a red. Then decide do you want to be an Irish Red or a Red APA/IPA?

I haven't made a red in years.
Moxie
AG
Yikes. I was more looking for an American amber or red with a good malt backbone and some hop scent. Like a malty pale maybe.

I've made 4 batches, two of which were kits, and all were hop forward. Just wanting to try something different.

Definitely AG recipe.
txagfisher
AG
You can try an ESB if you are looking for something malty and mid range ABV (~5%)
AlaskanAg99
AG
Best is to find a clone beer of something you like, brew it and then start making adjustments. After 3 batches you ought to be close.
Moxie
AG
txagfisher said:

You can try an ESB if you are looking for something malty and mid range ABV (~5%)
ESB is a great idea. Thanks!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Glorious day to brew.

Working on a Trappist single, then an IPA. Just kegged a 9.6% lagered Baltic Porter.
Moxie
AG
It was indeed a great day to brew!

Brewed my ESB with good results into the fermenter but again overshot my OG; need to make some corrections on the next batch. Now hopefully I can keep it 65ish without a fermenter chamber.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I had a hard drive failure and when I reloaded beersmith I kept forgetting to change the efficiency from 75% to 82%, my beers keep coming in high.

What's your method for cooling? You're in a carboy?
Moxie
AG
I just miscalculated how much grain to use. Been putting off getting the software but I may just need to bite the bullet.

It's in a carboy in a swamp cooler holding 65 and bubbling as of this morning.
62strat
AG
Dude beersmith is like $20? No brainer. It has so many tools and ways to make brew day easier.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Yeah, I use beersmith and payed to upgrade the cloud storage so I store it all online. You can tune it to your specific setup and also download a ton of ingredient library upgrades. I also live the phone app so I can change recipes on the fly if the LHBS is missing an item I need.
Moxie
AG
I'll probably grab the phone app this week and test it out
AlaskanAg99
AG
I personally do ally work on the desktop version and then push to the cloud. I don't know how usefull or complicated it is to just use the mobile app.

I'd also start keeping an eye on Craigslist for a used dorm fridge without a freezer unit. Unfortunately this means you have to contact sellers to ask, because it's usually not mentioned. That and a couple troller and you can make whatever beer you want year round.
Moxie
AG
Yeah I've been checking intermittently on Craigslist with no luck yet. Hopefully with Summer coming up kids will be looking to unload a fridge.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They are hard to find with no freezer unit. Which requires a lot of asking. But temp control is so very critical. Actually, where do you live? I sort of assume everyone is in TX.

I'm starting to ramp up the temp on my Trappist single. But I need to harvest the yeast for the next 2 beers so I don't want to totally stress it out.
Moxie
AG
I live in CSTX so there should be an array of slightly used fridges, but haven't found any cheap ones yet.
62strat
AG
I've used my basement fridge for 5 gal batches, it's a normal top freezer fridge, but I guess it's like apartment sized? It's about 10 cuft. I paid a couple hundred bucks brand new about 10 years ago. Only maybe 5' tall. Fits a 6 gal carboy with a bucket for blowoff easily. You don't necessarily have to find one without a freezer. In fact, if you can get a normal sized top freezer, you can likely fit (2) 6 gallon carboys in there, expanding your ability to do 10 gal batches.
txagfisher
AG
Had a frustrating brewday yesterday while brewing a zombie dust clone. Definitely a bit of a learning curve using the blichmann hellfire. Ended up with way too much boil off and had to top up. Still hit my gravity numbers though.

Also got my sight glass installed on my BK and realized my grain absorption rates must be off. I should have collected 7.00 gal after sparring but only ended up with 6.25. Does this sound normal or is something off?
AlaskanAg99
AG
My IPA on US05 is barely fermenting and my Trappist single is going on hard....really starting to wonder if I pitched the right yeast in the right FV....
Moxie
AG
Strange, 05 usually goes crazy. Could be an interesting experiment if you did switch the yeast!

Been letting my ESB free-rise in water (without actively trying to keep it cold) for a couple of days now that most of the fermentation is done now and it really is looking nice with great color. I had no problems fermenting at 65-66f in the swamp cooler which makes me want to try more European styles like a dubbel or tripel.
AlaskanAg99
AG
With the Trappist Ales you need a way to warm them up to the low 70's near the end to get them to fully attenuate. I started mine on Friday at 66, held for 2 days, then 1 degree temp rise per day till I hit 73.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If I did switch then I ruined 2 batches if beer. I despise Belgian IPA and a Dubbel with Chico yeast will be boring AF.
Kyle98
AG
I go as high as 78 on my saison with the French Saison yeast towards the end of fermentation.
txagfisher
AG
What is your preferred yeast for saisons? Looking to do my first this weekend.
Moxie
AG
I'd be interested as well, however, I plan on saving saison brewing for the summer when I have no choice but to brew that style without a ferm chamber.
Kyle98
AG
I absolutely love the French Saison strain. Both White Labs and Wyeast have it. WLP590 and Wyeast 3711. I've used both, and couldn't tell the difference between the beers.
Moxie
AG
I'm in the market for a new ferm vessel. Recommendations?

Thinking big mouth bubbler or fermonster since i'ts hard to clean my PET carboy. I've also looked at a 7gal conical but have no way of controlling temperatures.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's really a function of how much space you have as to what you should get, as well as budget. With a conical you need an upright fridge or more bucks for a SS immersion could plus glycol system. I have 2 14g Conicals I use for clean beer and a chest freezer with 5 carboys for sours. The chest freezer is single controller temp control, each conical has their own.

A mid line option would be the SS brew buckets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.