Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

379,371 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by bmc13
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do you wash with? Gallon of hot PBW ?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I add enough hot water to totally cover the pump.

Then dump some PBW in, like 1/4 cup, which is way over kill.

The one thing to note about these cheap sump pumps, they are not designed to recycle water, they are cheap because they are inefficient and create a massive amount of waste heat. Which is good, as they will reheat cold water but I do not run them long. I usually wait until I have 4-5 kegs to clean and sanitize and do them in batches. 15 mins on the washer, then give it a 5 min rest, repeat. If it gets too hot, I'll just stop for the day. My first pump lasted 5 years.

I then will rinse kegs prior to reassembly, then fill with sanitizer and use CO2 to push to next keg via a jumper line. My starsan is made with RO water, which is the big stainless vessel in the pic behind the washer.
aTm '99
fav13andac1)c
AG
Would you mind providing an example of a cheap sump pump? Looking on Home Depot doesn't provide anything useful.
AlaskanAg99
AG
You want one with the slowest rate of flow. I should have said smallest vs cheapest.

I don't think I can load a video of my test, but it was shooting 8' up and I drilled 4 side ports that were shooting 4' in each direction laterally.

They're not designed for much back pressure.
aTm '99
danieljustin06
AG
I removed the oak cubes from the stout and put it on gas to age. I did a small taste test and so far it turned out really good. The oak and bourbon are present, but not overwhelming. Looking forward to late November/early December.
Ornlu
AG
What yeast do ya'll use for NEIPAs? I'm considering LAL-VERDANT but want additional input.
fav13andac1)c
AG
This is what I use. 1318.

At Tupps, we used London Fog.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Anyone know a Stainless welder in Houston?
I need work done to 3 kettles, and if they can do sanitary welding, then to 2 14g FV.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ok, so I have a fairly high end MoreBeer 2020 flat system, propane. Which has basically 2010 technology.

I'm modifying it with a 30A Electric Brew Control systems panel that I bought used (with proof it runs) so I can run 2 elements sequential. So I'm going to add to my HLT and BK. Existing system HERMS can recirculate over night to heat MT to temp and keep BK where I need it. Thus my post above on a welder, which I've sourced.

I'm pretty stoked. I wish this level of tech existed when I bought my system in 2015. I would have built out my garage completely differently. However, that's the past so modify into the future. This will kick start a path to AC my garage for the summer with a goal of 80F so I can brew indoors in semi-comfort to the Houston heat.

I plan to modify this setup, hopefully, to incorporate at least one float valve to put a check on dry firing the HLT, and if possible a 2nd for sparging. Neither are necessary with proper technique, but two safe checks in automation. I will not be gutting my current hardware unless I can set up 2 profiles on the BCS rig so I can control the HLT gas cooker.

With this I can single batch, but if I keep the old setup, I can do both electric and propane to double batch if needed. Although I think those days are behind me. Several months before I can get this running as I have mods to make and beers to brew before I get around to understanding how this setup runs. I have a lot to learn. Currently waiting on parts. Brewing a German Pils sat.

fav13andac1)c
AG
Baller.

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/products/standard-30a-electric-brewery-control-panel
AlaskanAg99
AG
He still has the ad up, even though it's in my garage:

https://houston.craigslist.org/for/d/seabrook-homebrew-electric-brewing/7373518912.html

Paid in cash and kegs. I was cleaning out a shed at my dad's and found 7 ball lock kegs and 7 pin locks. Totally forgot I had them. Great to mix it up in trade as well.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Brewday today and a March pump flat out failed to run. No noise, nothing. Worked fine a few weeks ago, impeller is free, has power.

I have a 3rd one mounted to my brewery support cart, so wasn't an issue except tomorrow I have to take a closer look. My dog chewed through the power cable years ago, I don't think that's it but the only point of failure I can think of. I had soldered the wires back together.

It's always something going screwy but this one just annoys me. My aux pump ran fine and it hadn't been used in years.
txagfisher
AG
Try swapping heads and see if that narrows it down
AlaskanAg99
AG
txagfisher said:

Try swapping heads and see if that narrows it down

This one is stainless and I do have an extra poly head laying around somewhere. Good idea though.

What sucks about these motors is they are sealed and there's no way to open it up to replace the power cord.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

txagfisher said:

I'm going to take this approach. I've simplified down to something manageable to identify what works and doesn't, and will adjust from there. Brewing in a couple weeks once my Italian Pilsner finishes and will report back!

Which is my biggest problem. Consistency.

And not brewing for 18 months.
Hot damn if I wasn't getting the itch to brew yesterday, so I went and bought some ingredients today. Opened up beersmith, and the last batch I brewed??? 3/6/20, my Covid De Mayo.

So, it's been 18 months! Hard to believe, but oh well, never too long to start again!

So this weekend it is, a doppelbock (still have 75+ pounds of munich I need to get rid of!)
10lbs munich II
5.5 lbs of vienna
12oz of caramunich
1 oz hallertauer
WL833.

Pretty simple really, just got be patient with fermentation, then patient again to let it lager in the keg a while.
1.078 target, looking at about 7.5-7.8%. Just in time for cold winter in 2 months.

Anyway, haven't been on this thread in a while, nice to see some of the same folks I remember. I see the last time I posted was in March, saying I was brewing again.. clearly that didn't happen. Dang kids sports and camping and family trips!

Alaskan, man I like that keg cleaner, I have that exact pump already (I use to empty our inflatable hot tub in winter.) I assume you can just unthread that riser and use the pump like normal? No permanent mods to it?

AlaskanAg99
AG
Correct, it's as simple as simple can be and works amazingly.

I have a pro brewer friend visiting and he critiqued some of my beer. Solid tips for refinement.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I have a pro brewer friend visiting and he critiqued some of my beer. Solid tips for refinement.
This is always nice to have. The casual 'wow this is good' from a neighbor or friend isn't always very constructive.

I have my uncle, he's a pretty decorated homebrewer (his pile of medals has to be 20+ tall). He could have easily gone pro, but he always said he enjoyed it as a hobby and going pro makes it 'work'.
danieljustin06
AG
Out of curiosity, is your uncle out of Houston and enter in the Bluebonnet? He wouldn't know me, but it's hard to miss him from there. His name is called a lot, along with his wife who does a good job too.
62strat
AG
danieljustin06 said:

Out of curiosity, is your uncle out of Houston and enter in the Bluebonnet? He wouldn't know me, but it's hard to miss him from there. His name is called a lot, along with his wife who does a good job too.
No he's been in Denver 30+ years. He's homebrewed since mid 90s.

When him and my Aunt moved to vail from denver, he no longer had space so he gave me everything he had, including his semi custom (for the time period) brewstand from morebeer.com, almost 20 years old now.

Here he is watching me.

danieljustin06
AG
That's awesome of him!
62strat
AG
yeh I was using coleman cooler mash tun, plastic carboys and gravity before, so to go to semi-pro setup instantly was awesome.
62strat
AG
Point of no return!

Chipotlemonger
AG
I have the ingredients for a NEIPA on hand, that'll be my next brew most likely. The Blonde ale I brewed in July is excellent, one of the best beers I have made. Just not going through the keg fast enough to warrant the NEIPA brew day...yet!
62strat
AG
Got Oxygen??

I'm selling this, I now have direct access to my conical to oxygenate, so don't need this anymore.

Pro grade - 1.5" TC connections, thermometer on one end, oxygen hook up on other with a stone that sits in the site glass so you know when you're pumping O2 into the wort. This goes in line in between chiller and fermentor. You oxygenate plus you know temp of wort going into fermentor.

$300 retail at morebeer.com, I'll sell this for half off, $150 including shipping to a texagger homebrewer.

Morebeer link

In action

AlaskanAg99
AG
I just bought a brand new chugger pump NIB off CL in Houston. Was kind of sketchy as he didn't know really what it was for. But as I haven't heard of any thefts from homebrew supply stores who knows.

But now I have a backup in case one of mine fails again.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Why is your pump on the ground?! Just seems like a good way for it to get damaged.

Looks like a good setup.

I'm looking for a welder now to make my conversion to electric. Need to build a stand for the panel on casters. Think I have a solid shop that came recommended.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Why is your pump on the ground?! Just seems like a good way for it to get damaged.

Looks like a good setup.

I'm looking for a welder now to make my conversion to electric. Need to build a stand for the panel on casters. Think I have a solid shop that came recommended.
this was my uncles set up, not mine. I just don't have any pics of me using it.

This was my configuration yesterday. I have stand and fermentation fridge on casters, so I roll it out to brew then back in garage for storage.

62strat
AG
You can see the oxygenater there near the chiller. It was yesterday I realized I have a carb stone attachment for spike, so no reason not to use it to oxygenate as well.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Ah, gotcha.
62strat
AG
Oxygenater sold.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Wanted to give yall a heads up. Citra for $14/lb? Sold.

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/citra-hop-pellets?variant=34608986521733
62strat
AG
this place had smoking bulk pricing when I started homebrewing back in 2008, looks like they still have good pricing, especially on some hop packs
https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/hop-packs/

Cascade/centennial/chinook pack is $10/lb.
fav13andac1)c
AG
If you are in the DFW area, I'm sad to report that Homebrew HQ has shut down. Very shocking for me as I drove up this afternoon to see them closed. That being said, for those that shop online, what are your favorites?
danieljustin06
AG
Sad to hear. I'm closer to TX Brewing in Haltom City. Austin HB is good for shipping.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If you want to stay local, def go to TX Brewing. STUBBY really supports the homebrew community and a lot of my friends in Houston buy through him after the Westside brewshop closed. He supports our homebrew comp and wants to be our title sponsor but we have a long standing arrangement with No Label Brewing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.