Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,153 Views | 3346 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by swampstander
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texstralian said:

Do you have a conical fermenter you are looking to get rid of? I'm in the market for one. Ideally stainless and in the 7 gal range.
College station area code - triple seven - 5 double six 9

Haven't decided if I'm going to offload one. But they're both 14 gallon.
Texstralian
AG
I might be interested. What are you asking?
Kyle98
AG
Brewed a NEIPA last weekend. Just dumped in 6oz of dry hops last night! Can't wait to get it in a keg. I'll post the recipe later when I get home, but I took it off a long thread on HBT and made a hop adjustment due to availability.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Kyle98 said:

Brewed a NEIPA last weekend. Just dumped in 6oz of dry hops last night! Can't wait to get it in a keg. I'll post the recipe later when I get home, but I took it off a long thread on HBT and made a hop adjustment due to availability.
You take it off of that long running NEIPA thread?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Texstralian said:

I might be interested. What are you asking?

Haven't decided, but they're wrapped with soft copper tubing and insulated on top of that. Works great for ales in the summer. And ales/lagers in the winter. Might not be what someone else is looking for.
Texstralian
AG
Yea, might be more than I need. I'm fermenting in a temp controlled chamber, so don't need all that
Kyle98
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Kyle98 said:

You take it off of that long running NEIPA thread?

Yep!
Kyle98
AG
This is the recipe I used:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-146#post-8203827

Swapped in Simcoe for Galaxy, since the store I bought from didn't have any Galaxy and used 0.5oz Magnum for bittering instead of Warrior. Used the Lalbrew New England dry yeast as well.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Sold all my kegs.
Put this up next:

https://houston.craigslist.org/for/d/houston-homebrew-equipment/7530373966.html

Lot of smaller items that could be mailed USPS flat rate.
Kyle98
AG
Turned out fantastic!
danieljustin06
AG
Was just told that https://kettletokegtx.com/ is now accepting online orders. You can specify down to the ounce too. They're good folks in Sherman.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Packing for a big move, and that means no homebrewing for a while. I need to prep my keezer for long term storage so the lines aren't ruined when I get back to it. I've read to run PBW through the lines and store them with PBW in the lines.

Anybody ever long term store a keezer?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Interesting I don't think I have heard of moving tips for keg lines. I would just as soon think people would get rid of them and get new ones in the new place. But I only have ever had 1 or 2 beers on tap at a time…I understand not wanting to toss out tap lines to a lot of kegs.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Interesting I don't think I have heard of moving tips for keg lines. I would just as soon think people would get rid of them and get new ones in the new place. But I only have ever had 1 or 2 beers on tap at a time…I understand not wanting to toss out tap lines to a lot of kegs.

Just thinking about my lazy self and not wanting to do the replacement work later. Trying to set future me up for success!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ended up going the PBW route. We'll see how I did when I unearth my keezer one day in the future.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would definitely test it out one line at a time just in case! Would hate to tap 5 kegs and ruin that much beer.

Although I'm not sure how much intersection goes on anyways between line beer and middle of the keg beer so maybe it wouldn't matter much.
sanitariex
AG
So we moved a year and a half ago, I had planned the whole thing out to have all four taps full of beer when we moved, problem is it took too long to build and the beer was too good. So we drank it all before moving. I just did beer line cleaner and starsan through before moving. It's still sitting there unused, but the lines remain clean. Hopefully after the holidays I can finally start getting it all set back up and start brewing again.
Ornlu
AG
I successfully brewed for the for the first time in about 6 months last night. Baltic Porter is happily bubbling away at 64 in my garage. Everything went to plan, except maybe my sulfude-to-chloride ratio in my water chemistry calcs. I double crushed the grain (because it wouldn't crush when I had the new mill set to finer than 0.05), and I actually ended up running at 82% efficiency instead of my usual 79%. pH was spot on both in mash and kettle. Boil time was spot on, and it tasted the right amount of hoppy going into the fermenter. Even hit the right temp in the fermenter. Now I just have to keep it at good temperatures and move it to a serving keg appropriately.

My water calcs had a REALLY low chloride rate for the target when I was doing the math pre-mash. But when I was double checking them after the fact, I couldn't make the software (Brewers Friend) give me the same result. Now, it's saying I should have added like 6g or 7g of CaCL to get 60ppm Chloride.

Is there any harm in me adding 6g CaCL now, straight into the fermenter?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I wouldn't think so. And if you do, better to do now while active than later. The fermentation would I think transport the minerals around for you.

What is your transfer to keg process?
Ornlu
AG
A few years ago, I started fermenting in kegs with floating dip tubes, so that I can pressure transfer. It works alright, but there are two occasional problems: debris clogs, and the dip tubes float too high. Both of them require back-flowing and/or shaking the keg to clear, which lead to cloudy beer if the bottom of the keg isn't clean. To avoid those, I transfer it to a serving keg with a standard dip tube.

I think I'm going to dissolve the 6g CaCL in a few tbsp water, then just drop it in. I agree, better now than later.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ornlu said:

A few years ago, I started fermenting in kegs with floating dip tubes, so that I can pressure transfer. It works alright, but there are two occasional problems: debris clogs, and the dip tubes float too high. Both of them require back-flowing and/or shaking the keg to clear, which lead to cloudy beer if the bottom of the keg isn't clean. To avoid those, I transfer it to a serving keg with a standard dip tube.

I think I'm going to dissolve the 6g CaCL in a few tbsp water, then just drop it in. I agree, better now than later.
I forgot about seeing this a while back, they sent this out 7 days ago.

https://brulosophy.com/2022/11/14/exbeeriment-water-chemistry-impact-post-fermentation-gypsum-addition-has-on-an-american-pale-ale/

Looks like Gypsum timing had little effect.
Ornlu
AG
TOMORROW IS BREW DAY AGS! The starter is started, the grain is crushed, and I'm psyched. Gonna do my like 11th attempt at some Velvet Hammer clone.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1339580/velvet-hammer-clone-imperial-irish-red-v6-1

The hops are going to be all jacked up. TxBrewing didn't have bravo, Columbus, or Chinook. Oh well, it'll still be beer.

AND THATS WHAT WERE GONNA DO TO EM AGS!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice! Good luck with the brew day.
cgary11
AG
Anyone getting the SS Brewtech SVBS?

I've been wanting to change from my 3 vessel electric herms to an electric BIAB type and was going to pull the trigger on the Grainfather G40, however I'm intrigued by the SS. I only do 5 gallon batches so the size doesn't bother me. I really don't see the upside on it other than it looks sleek. The G40 at least has the programming.

Any comments if anyone has the G40?

Mainly trying to cut down on the brew day. Three kids and all the activities has made it tougher than I thought to keep the kegs full, I haven't brewed in almost a year..
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes at this point for efficiency of brew day and compactness of equipment, I would love an electric BIAB system some day.

Also helps that anecdotally there is more and more coming out from people that make great beer on the systems. It's a tried and true process by now!

Edit to say: I don't have much to add, but believe Grainfather includes more software also in terms of recipe creation/storage? From what I can gather, Clawhammer systems are pretty neat too.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I thought I stumped ChatGPT.

Then I realized we're doomed.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Ha. Triple IPA is a style I think I'll leave for the commercial examples. I don't think I'd ever need that much or even be able to offload that much of it!
cgary11
AG
Anyone still brewing out there?

Recently moved to an all in one and it's made it so much easier. Work and 3 kids and all the other extracurricular me made it dang near impossible.

Doing a Helles for the first time this weekend, anyone have feedback on this? I will be making a big ol wyeast 2308 starter.

Mash
Strike Temp 134.6 F
beta 130 F 30 min
sacc 149 F 40 min

Malts (11 lb 8 oz)
11 lb (95.7%) Castle Malting Chateau Pilsen 2-Row Grain 1.9 L
8 oz (4.4%) Weyermann Melanoidin Grain 22.7 L

Hops (2 oz)
0.75 oz (10 IBU) Hallertau Magnum 5% Boil 30 min
1.25 oz (9 IBU) Hallertau Magnum 6% Boil 10 min
Ornlu
AG
cgary11 said:

Anyone still brewing out there?

Recently moved to an all in one and it's made it so much easier. Work and 3 kids and all the other extracurricular me made it dang near impossible.

I still manage to get a brew day in about 4 times a year, but that's about all the beer I can drink now a days. I'm still on my old batch-sparge propane setup, and I'll likely never change. I honestly don't want it to be less work. Just like the effort required to smoke a brisket on a stick burner makes the brisket just seem better, I think a lower-effort setup wouldn't make as good of beer.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm in the process of electrifying my system, have had parts for 2 years but couldn't find a welder.

Now I've got to punch holes in my kettles.
Ornlu
AG
I thought you quit drinking?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Haven't brewed in about 9 months. We're just now getting settled into our home so hopefully I can squeeze in a brew in the next month or so after I get my equipment organized.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Last brew day for me was probably last summer. Have a young family so it's tough to set aside the time, especially when sound sleep is a toss up!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Totally been there!
sanitariex
AG
I haven't brewed in 2 years, moved and have had too many other projects taken priority. I did finally get a sink and RO filter setup, and hard plumbed a counterflow chiller. That was back in December, though, still haven't fired it back up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.