Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Basketball

NCAA suspends Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams two games for violations

August 20, 2021
21,619

The NCAA announced on Friday a two-game suspension for Texas A&M basketball coach Buzz Williams along with several other penalties stemming from several NCAA violations related to contact with prospects and workout rules.

The violations listed including impermissible contact with a prospect by the head coach and an assistant coach, issues related to impermissible workouts conducted or coordinated by the assistant coach and excessive noncoaching staff participating in on-court instruction.

A statement from Texas A&M Athletics read, in part:

On August 20, 2021, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions announced that it approved a negotiated resolution jointly submitted by Texas A&M University and the NCAA enforcement staff concerning the men’s basketball program.

Texas A&M Athletics and the men’s basketball program are pleased to have this matter concluded. We support Coach Williams and will continue to move forward in a positive direction.

The NCAA listed the penalties as:

  • Two years of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine.
  • A reduction in men's basketball official visits for the 2021-22 academic year by five.
  • A suspension of unofficial visits during the first three Southeastern Conference men's basketball games during the 2021-22 academic year.
  • A reduction in men's basketball recruiting days by 5% (7 days out of 130) during the 2021-22 academic year.
  • A two-game suspension (during the regular season) for the head coach at Texas A&M or any school that employs him.
  • A suspension of the assistant coach, self-imposed by the university, June 2020 through the end of the 2020-21 basketball season. During that suspension, the program operated with one fewer assistant coach than allowed under NCAA rules.

The release from the NCAA reads, in part:

This case was processed through the negotiated resolution process. The process was used instead of a formal hearing or summary disposition because the university, the involved coaches and the enforcement staff agreed on the violations and the penalties. The Division I Committee on Infractions reviewed the case to determine whether the resolution was in the best interests of the Association and whether the agreed-upon penalties were reasonable. Negotiated resolutions may not be appealed and do not set case precedent for other infractions cases.

Either assistant Devin Johnson or Lyle Wolf likely will coach the Aggies' first two games.

Last season, the Aggies finished 8-10. They did not play the entire month of February because of COVID-19 issues.

Discussion from...

NCAA suspends Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams two games for violations

11,991 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by NonReg81
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're going to play a couple of games before Maui
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sigh. I've been all in on Buzz and want to remain that way, but man.
thad97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
The story has been edited to include the following statement from Texas A&M Athletics:

On August 20, 2021, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions announced that it approved a negotiated resolution jointly submitted by Texas A&M University and the NCAA enforcement staff concerning the men's basketball program.

Texas A&M Athletics and the men's basketball program are pleased to have this matter concluded. We support Coach Williams and will continue to move forward in a positive direction.
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.


You do understand the players Buzz has to work with. Would you suggest taking an approach that makes them not want to play here? I'm not into the woke stuff. I do know if I were coaching I'd be careful not to come off as an old white conservative.
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Double Diamond said:

Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.


You do understand the players Buzz has to work with. Would you suggest taking an approach that makes them not want to play here? I'm not into the woke stuff. I do know if I were coaching I'd be careful not to come off as an old white conservative.
I would suggest he be a leader of these young men. Like he tried to be at VT.
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And I bet Buzz is. Last summer was a mess. Hard to get through it cleanly.
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know the details of what we did and how long ago?
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was recruiting when he couldn't. Workouts when he couldn't. Move on. It's silly and more NCAA crap.
21texasbethie21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Disappointing but when I compare to what Duke and North Carolina skated on, I am SMH. Rules can't be broken by anyone but the inconsistencies at the ncaa are biased and seem to consistently let the big names off and those building are punished over the top. Yes, there should be consequences but that should include the "UNCs, Dukes, LSUs, etc" as well.
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's disappointing but the damage is "contained." Just move forward.
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is a link to the full NCAA ruling:

https://www.scribd.com/document/520982807/Texas-A-M-NCAA-resolution

This apparently was one of the violations:
Quote:

In July 2019, an evaluation period, the head coach engaged in an impermissible contact with a men's basketball prospective student-athlete(prospect 1) during the July evaluation period. Specifically, while checking into the hotel where prospect 1's AAU team stayed, prospect 1approached the head coach in the lobby as the head coach was checking in and the two engaged in a conversation that included the head coach stating that he would be attending prospect 1's game the next day. [NCAA Bylaws 13.01.1, 13.01.2, 13.02.4, 13.02.5.2, 13.1, 13.1.1.1 and13.1.1.1.2 (2019-20)]
What is the coach supposed to do in this situation? Say "I can't speak to you now" and run away?
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LawHall88 said:

Here is a link to the full NCAA ruling:

https://www.scribd.com/document/520982807/Texas-A-M-NCAA-resolution

This apparently was one of the violations:
Quote:

In July 2019, an evaluation period, the head coach engaged in an impermissible contact with a men's basketball prospective student-athlete(prospect 1) during the July evaluation period. Specifically, while checking into the hotel where prospect 1's AAU team stayed, prospect 1approached the head coach in the lobby as the head coach was checking in and the two engaged in a conversation that included the head coach stating that he would be attending prospect 1's game the next day. [NCAA Bylaws 13.01.1, 13.01.2, 13.02.4, 13.02.5.2, 13.1, 13.1.1.1 and13.1.1.1.2 (2019-20)]
What is the coach supposed to do in this situation? Say "I can't speak to you now" and run away?

This encapsulates the stupidity and archaic nature of the NCAA and their laws/rules. That incident being a violation is an absolute joke, just as the NCAA is.
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M said:

Double Diamond said:

Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.


You do understand the players Buzz has to work with. Would you suggest taking an approach that makes them not want to play here? I'm not into the woke stuff. I do know if I were coaching I'd be careful not to come off as an old white conservative.
I would suggest he be a leader of these young men. Like he tried to be at VT.


Good lord you're obnoxious
sincereag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did he make and any "strong ass offers"? That seems to be within the rules now.
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's compare and contrast.

We have:

Quote:

In July 2019, an evaluation period, the head coach engaged in an impermissible contact with a men's basketball prospective student-athlete(prospect 1) during the July evaluation period. Specifically, while checking into the hotel where prospect 1's AAU team stayed, prospect 1approached the head coach in the lobby as the head coach was checking in and the two engaged in a conversation that included the head coach stating that he would be attending prospect 1's game the next day. [NCAA Bylaws 13.01.1, 13.01.2, 13.02.4, 13.02.5.2, 13.1, 13.1.1.1 and13.1.1.1.2 (2019-20)]

vs

Quote:

In August 2020, ESPN.com obtained a document from NCAA enforcement asserting that LSU coach Will Wade "arranged for, offered and/or provided impermissible payments, including cash payments, to at least 11 men's basketball prospective student-athletes, their family members, individuals associated with the prospects and/or nonscholastic coaches in exchange for the prospects' enrollment at LSU."
Digital_Java
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chillax cry-babies...It's a minor slap on the wrist similar to Jimbo's silly show-cause penalties last year. I'll be happy to see Schloss get rung up for similar things next year.

It shows effort, caring, tenacity and of course that has to be balanced within context of the rules. Sometimes you have to skate the sideline to be explosive on the field and you might step out of bounds in the process.

The Lsu issues are much more severe and institutional which takes way longer to unpack.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If u ain't cheating you ain't trying. Buzzzzzz
brandontyler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"while checking into the hotel where prospect 1's AAU team stayed, prospect 1 approached the head coach in the lobby as the head coach was checking in and the two engaged in a conversation that included the head coach stating that he would be attending prospect 1's game the next day. "

Kill the program! The horror!

94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LawHall88 said:

Here is a link to the full NCAA ruling:

https://www.scribd.com/document/520982807/Texas-A-M-NCAA-resolution

This apparently was one of the violations:
Quote:

In July 2019, an evaluation period, the head coach engaged in an impermissible contact with a men's basketball prospective student-athlete(prospect 1) during the July evaluation period. Specifically, while checking into the hotel where prospect 1's AAU team stayed, prospect 1approached the head coach in the lobby as the head coach was checking in and the two engaged in a conversation that included the head coach stating that he would be attending prospect 1's game the next day. [NCAA Bylaws 13.01.1, 13.01.2, 13.02.4, 13.02.5.2, 13.1, 13.1.1.1 and13.1.1.1.2 (2019-20)]
What is the coach supposed to do in this situation? Say "I can't speak to you now" and run away?


Yes, while simultaneously dialing the AD and the NCAA to self-report.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
EastTX_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Complete bull**** NCAA needs to crack down on the basketball and football programs for that school in Louisiana
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tobias Funke said:

Texas A&M said:

Double Diamond said:

Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.


You do understand the players Buzz has to work with. Would you suggest taking an approach that makes them not want to play here? I'm not into the woke stuff. I do know if I were coaching I'd be careful not to come off as an old white conservative.
I would suggest he be a leader of these young men. Like he tried to be at VT.


Good lord you're obnoxious
Some of us want to be fans, but we want teams/players that are likeable (and ones that are proud to be Aggies). We'll see if he brings the players back out for the anthem......
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeez^
bigwillystyle23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fire his ass! I loved him but no more. Win the right way.
BigWillyStyle23
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bigwillystyle23 said:

Fire his ass! I loved him but no more. Win the right way.


10 posts in 5 years...may I suggest that you post less?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Upperdeck Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What next?

I tend to think that if A&M was up there with the elite basketball programs, the penalty would be lessened.
It happened, so the probation and suspension.
Many of us were looking to a resurgent basketball program under Williams.

It is disappointing. I've always enjoyed Aggie basketball but not lately.

Still miss Shelby Metcalf.
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Upperdeck Critic said:

What next?

I tend to think that if A&M was up there with the elite basketball programs, the penalty would be lessened.
It happened, so the probation and suspension.
Many of us were looking to a resurgent basketball program under Williams.

It is disappointing. I've always enjoyed Aggie basketball but not lately.

Still miss Shelby Metcalf.


I miss Shelby too. But in no time during his 26 years was A&M considered an elite program. They did have one elite team. Our previous 3 coaches before Buzz all achieved as much or more than Metcalf. Don't misunderstand me...Metcalf was a legend, and did what he could with limited resources.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Ag_EE_88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.
Doesn't seem to be as woke as you might think. Did you see the changes that were made at the end of the season? Dig a little and you will find the truth.
Stone44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stone44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They've got actual footage of the LSU coach negotiating a payment to a player. Roy Williams at North Carolina had a tremendous case of academic fraud over many years. Both of these programs lawyered up and defeated the NCAA and have not been penalized. We should fight this bs.
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.
Doesn't seem to be as woke as you might think. Did you see the changes that were made at the end of the season? Dig a little and you will find the truth.


These posts are dumb. Just post what you're accusing Buzz of instead of being all cryptic.
DukeMu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MagnumLoad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, how did this get reported? Who turned that in to the ncaa?
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Houstonag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another example of NCAA baloney. Totally innocent contact blown out of proportion. I am still waiting for the North Carolina , and others to be "punished". NCAA is a useless organization because they are corrupt. Been that way for a long time. If they were balanced and unbiased I would respect them but their history is horrible.
Ag_EE_88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'mKnow Your Enemy said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

Texas A&M said:

Why does always happens to the terrible teams? At least Buzz is good & woke as we saw last year.
Doesn't seem to be as woke as you might think. Did you see the changes that were made at the end of the season? Dig a little and you will find the truth.


These posts are dumb. Just post what you're accusing Buzz of instead of being all cryptic.
I wasn't cryptic and I didn't accuse Buzz of being anything.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.