2018 top 10 Texas high school football recruits

23,416 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chosen One
technoviking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seemed that the biggest knock on Sumlin and Co. - and all Texas colleges for that matter - in 2017 was that they were not able to lock down the top talent in the state. A&M had the highest ranked player in the state that committed to a Texas college - Anthony Hines. As awesome as we all think Hines is gonna be, im sure that we would all like to see next year's Hines as well as more top talent come to Aggieland.

So who are they?

Note: "CB" means crystal ball when it is not referring to the player's position.

As of February 2017, they are:

1. BJ Foster, 6-1, 188, Safety out of Angleton. CBs all say tu
2. Anthony Cook, 6-1, 168, CB out of Houston-Lamar. CBs say 50% to LSU. The last two have been to tu.
3. Jalen Preston, 6-2, 202, WR out of Manvel. 100% to A&M
4. Max Wright, 6-4.5, 260, SDE out of Katy-Taylor. 100% to the good guys (feb 5th, 2017)
5. Caden Sterns, 6-1, 173, S/WR out of Cibolo-Steele. Committed to LSU 11/27/2016.
6. Darrell Simpson, 6-7, 330 OT out of Justin-Northwest. 60%/40% A&M-OU battle with the last CB (August 2016) saying ou.
7. Joshua Moore, 6-0.5, 168, S/WR out of Yoakum. 67% to tu with the last several ones to tu. His brother Jordan is a 2018 A&M commit.
8. Jalen Green, 6-1.5, 170 CB out of Houston-Heights. Only has 1 CB: to LSU.
9. Al'vonte Woodard, 6-1, 182 WR out of Houston-Manvel. 1 CB and its for the good guys.
10. Mustapha Muhammad, 6-5, 235 TE out of Missouri City-Ridge Point. 2 CBs to the good guys but the last one was to tu.

Ohio state and Alabama currently do not figure to be major players so far like they were in 2017. However, the 2017 college football season has yet to start and I imagine the full court press from Meyer and Saban would begin with their on-field success next year.

The key to winning these guys i imagine is gonna be on-field success in addition to our coaches building relationships.

I personally would like to see Max Wright, Darrell Simpson - what a giant!! - and a couple of those DBs come to A&M the most.
SPF250
AG
I've spent more time trying to learn about the 2017 class. But I did notice that BL recently updated his prediction on Max Wright, DE out of Katy Taylor, to High in favor of the good guys. Did something happen recently? BL? Bueller? Anybody?
technoviking
AG
January 22nd was junior day, and Max attended. Bama had a junior day on the January 28th. The crystal ball was from mike roach on 2-1-17 so maybe folks are feeling Max had a good a&m junior day and not so much of a good bama junior day?
Schrute
Also, Camron Horry was a teammate of Max's. So, maybe people think that will pull Max to A&M. I hope so.
Bone6
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a bit cautious for the 2018 class.

Sumlin is clearly on the hot seat and Herman brings some hype/a honeymoon period with him.
Schrute
Bone6 said:

Sumlin is clearly on the hot seat and Herman brings some hype/a honeymoon period with him.
Well, if we fire Sumlin and get a new coach we can just use the same excuse as the sips - teams normally don't recruit well in a "transition" year...
technoviking
AG
I know I have an inherent bias because I'm an Aggie; but, something seems off about Herman. From the words of a horn insider:

Quote:

I was told by a number of sources that if Texas had offered Jalen Reagor early, the Longhorns could have landed him. But the old staff waited too long, and the new staff was never able to make a dent. Texas tried to make a push, but Reagor didn't want the coaches to make an in-home.
Quote:

Omar Manning flipping to Texas from TCU was all but done in January. But Manning soured on the Longhorns after a meeting with the new Texas coaching staff during his OV.
Quote:

Walker Little was set to pick Texas way back in the spring and would have landed in Austin if the Longhorns had won more games in 2016. The first in-home visit with the new staff didn't impress the Little family the way it needed to. Although the staff had a better final in-home visit, the Little family just wasn't too fond of their personalities and decided Stanford would be the better fit overall.
Quote:

The K'Lavon Chaisson recruitment was bizarre. Multiple sources told us Chaisson silently committed to Texas shortly after Tom Herman arrived, which is why we felt so confident. Things started to change after his official visit to LSU, but a couple of days before his announcement Chaisson told the Texas commits that he was still coming. That Hook 'Em alert this week on Twitter was for Chaisson. He even told his trainer on Monday to buy a Texas shirt to prepare for National Signing Day announcement in favor of the Longhorns only to text him on Tuesday morning to tell him instead to buy an LSU shirt for the ceremony. It seems Chaisson was truly undecided heading into Wednesday.
Quote:

Browning basically told the old staff he was coming, which is why I was so confident throughout the process. Browning blasted Texas for firing Strong and told me he wasn't fond of Herman, so the Longhorns completely fell out of favor.
Quote:

Kary Vincent was always going to make an official visit to Texas after hosting Herman for an in-home visit. Herman did a great job recruiting him, but LSU is where he really wanted to be.
I get that transition years are hard for new coaches. But one could also argue that this recruiting season could have been a honeymoon period for Herman too, and yet there are a lot of misses in there. Several of these kids chose Ed O over Herman, and one could argue that he was in a transition year as well.

Herman's forte may not be recruiting. If it isn't, we could have a very nice 2018 haul.

Edit: for humors sake I'll add a couple excerpts from the same dude that I found hilarious:

Quote:

The family of Ondario Robinson wanted him to end up at Texas and not Texas A&M, which is why he continued to delay his decision. At the time, Robinson wasn't a take for the Longhorns, and the family finally budged and let him commit to the Aggies.

Plano East inside linebacker Anthony Hines loved Texas from an academic standpoint and had a great relationship with Strong. If he wasn't fired, I believe he would have picked Texas. Hines and his family preferred Strong over Kevin Sumlin. But with Texas in chaos, they felt A&M, a program they really liked overall, was the best fit.

Texas did want Javelin Guidry at the end of the process, but he preferred to stay closer to home and told some people close to him that being around snow at Utah played a role in his decision. As weird as that sounds, we did confirm that snow was a determining factor along with early playing time and location. But overall, we feel the strength of the competition and the ability to climb the depth chart made him shy away from the Longhorns.

amercer
AG
Good to know that all the homer recruiting gurus are equally full of spin
technoviking
AG
Just trying to "own" my team, baby! It's a lot harder to do that than disown them
Spyderman
AG
Bone6 said:

Sumlin
beerad12man
AG
Bone6 said:

I'm not. A&M is in a great position early on. Even if we were to have to fire sumlin most Of these guys would still give us a good chance. We'd have to make a really poor hire to not have a good 2018 class.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
We were in a great position for the 2015 class - in the lead early for LeakLeak, Sheffield, and a number of other key players.

Same goes for 16 when we had Brandon Jones and many others all but locked up 1 year out.

I'm always hesitant this early in the process. I'm even anxious about the guys already committed, even if you were to tell me we win 9 regular season games and definitely keep Sumlin.
beerad12man
AG
CaveDwellinAg said:

We were in a great position for the 2015 class - in the lead early for LeakLeak, Sheffield, and a number of other key players.

Same goes for 16 when we had Brandon Jones and many others all but locked up 1 year out.

I'm always hesitant this early in the process. I'm even anxious about the guys already committed, even if you were to tell me we win 9 regular season games and definitely keep Sumlin.

Well we landed 15 4/5 star recruits in 2015 and no, we weren't in anywhere near this good of position overall this early for 2016.

Plus sumlin lands about 87 of his overall commitments since he's been here. I'd expect to sign 5/6 or possibly even all 6 of our current guys
Chosen One
I will call my shot with this group

1. BJ Foster, - Texas - He is close to Quadre Diggs

2. Anthony Cook, - Texas - Texas made a huge impression on all the Lamar kids

3. Jalen Preston, - A&M - No real information other than he has been leaning this way for so long.

4. Max Wright, - A&M - This was an easy pick

5. Caden Sterns, - LSU - I think he is a Louisiana transplant

6. Darrell Simpson, - OU - Bob Stoops has been very successful in Texas again.

7. Joshua Moore, - FSU - I chalk this one up to IMG

8. Jalen Green, - LSU - Again no real information

9. Al'vonte Woodard, - A&M - See Preston

10. Mustapha Muhammad, - Texas - This is one I think Alabama will make a huge push.

This top 10 list is going to change a whole lot over the next few months. There are some guys that are way overrated on this list. Look for guys like Brennan Eagles Rafiti Ghirmai, Leon Oneal, and Tommy Bush to make huge pushes into the top 10.
TMartin
Angleton kids, like Galena Park "North Shore" kids, are not allowed to go to A&M. Coaching staffs at both schools sold out l-o-n-g ago. Go check the stats.
Maroon Flash
AG
LSU may be implicated in the Leo Lewis situation as they were recruiting him hard.

Orgeron is a dirty recruiter, we badly need a win and for him to have the NCAA throw shade on him.
pfo
AG
Decisions for some of the very best players in Texas won't be made/finalized until the cold hard cash is delivered. I doubt if it's a factor in gold standard guys like Myles Garrett but guys like Sheffield, Laramey Tunsile, Little, Cam Newton etc. go to the highest bidder.

Alabama has the best players because they pay the most. I realize it's distasteful to discuss but that's just the way it is.
Gigemaggies123
pfo said:

Decisions for some of the very best players in Texas won't be made/finalized until the cold hard cash is delivered. I doubt if it's a factor in gold standard guys like Myles Garrett but guys like Sheffield, Laramey Tunsile, Little, Cam Newton etc. go to the highest bidder.

Alabama has the best players because they pay the most. I realize it's distasteful to discuss but that's just the way it is.
I dont think thats necessarily true in all instances. Money's definitely involved but when its roughly the same the situation at the university does come into play. You can't say kids go to bama just because they pay the most. I can think of a few other reasons kids would go to Bama.

Then you have the instances like Ole miss whos doing 100 in a 70 while everyone else is doing 80 and whines when they get pulled over that everyone's speeding
ClemsonTig
What's the deal with the DB Cook and WR Woodard?

Cook has been visiting Clemson. I think he's been to our campus twice thus far and there is legitimate interest. The WR, Woodard, appears to be his teammate is still waiting on an offer from us. I'm not sure if we'll give one or not. Our staff doesn't throw out lots of offers and at WR have been very, very picky about who they offer.

Anyway, anything you can share on these 2 guys would be appreciated.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-3-stripe-camp-new-orleans-predictions-on-top-players
southwestexag
I played under Roark who is the Head coach at angelton and can tell you he wouldn't push a kid to a certain school
carawacl
AG
FWIW. I saw Darrel Simpson last week coaching middle school 7on7 in OU gear.
Chosen One
Chosen One said:

I will call my shot with this group

1. BJ Foster, - Texas - He is close to Quadre Diggs

2. Anthony Cook, - Texas - Texas made a huge impression on all the Lamar kids

3. Jalen Preston, - A&M - No real information other than he has been leaning this way for so long.

4. Max Wright, - A&M - This was an easy pick

5. Caden Sterns, - LSU - I think he is a Louisiana transplant

6. Darrell Simpson, - OU - Bob Stoops has been very successful in Texas again.

7. Joshua Moore, - FSU - I chalk this one up to IMG

8. Jalen Green, - LSU - Again no real information

9. Al'vonte Woodard, - A&M - See Preston

10. Mustapha Muhammad, - Texas - This is one I think Alabama will make a huge push.

This top 10 list is going to change a whole lot over the next few months. There are some guys that are way overrated on this list. Look for guys like Brennan Eagles Rafiti Ghirmai, Leon Oneal, and Tommy Bush to make huge pushes into the top 10.
Wanted to update this top 10 list

1. BJ Foster - Texas 100% in the drivers seat
2. Anthony Cook - I will stick with Texas, but Clemson and Ohio State are close
3. Jalen Preston - switching to Texas
4. Max Wright - toss up between Texas and A&M, Texas has really put in some overtime on this one.
5. Caden Sterns - LSU
6. Darrell Simpson - OU, this one stings, he is a beast
7. Joshua Moore - A&M
8. Jalen Green - Texas
9. A'vonte Woodard - Texas
10 Mustapha Muhammad - Michigan seems to have taken control

I know this isn't a popular post here but that is how I see it based on trends
MidTnAg
AG
If these results hold, would we still continue to roll with Sumlin?
Chosen One
I'd put hard money on Chad Morris being the coach at A&M come January
technoviking
AG
Thanks for the update chosen one. The recruiting paints a bleak picture. I think you're right about a coaching change at the end of this year. If Sumlin were doing well we'd be in the running for more of these top 10 kids.
Chosen One
Winning cures all.

It's not about what is happening in Baton Rouge, or Austin or Norman, it's about what is happening in College Station and finding the right coach to lead this team.

I personally think Chad Morris is that guy.

Once the right coach is in place, the right system is in place, and the right facilities are in place, there is nothing to stop Texas A&M from competing with any program in the country for top players in the country.
technoviking
AG
Sumlin proved that we can recruit at least at a great level (not an elite level - that requires top 5 classes to be sustained). I think by proxy of the facilities and the conference Chad Morris can also recruit at a great level; if not on his own merits. But, an elite level of recruiting is going to require the caliber of coaching that the Meyers, Miles and Sabans (and now Swinneys it looks like) of the world can offer. I don't see Morris as one of those guys, personally. I hope I'm wrong.
technoviking
AG
technoviking said:

Sumlin proved that we can recruit at least at a great level (not an elite level - that requires top 5 classes to be sustained). I think by proxy of the facilities and the conference Chad Morris can also recruit at a great level; if not on his own merits. But, an elite level of recruiting is going to require the caliber of coaching that the Fishers, Meyers, Miles and Sabans (and now Swinneys it looks like) of the world can offer. I don't see Morris as one of those guys, personally. I hope I'm wrong.
FIFM

however,

a look at the top 10 in texas for 2018, as it stands on the numbers site (12-6-17):

1. BJ Foster, S - Texas

2. Anthony Cook, CB - leaning Texas heavily

3. Caden Sterns, S - Texas

4. Jalen Green, CB - Texas

5. Brennan Eagles, WR - Texas

6. Jaylen Waddle, WR - TAMU/Bama battle - latest CBs say TAMU

7. DeMarvion Overshown S, OLB - Texas

8. Leon O'Neal, S - former TAMU commit, Fisher is working on getting him to TAMU

9. Joshua Moore, WR, S - Nebraska

10. Alvonte Woodard - WR - Texas

Clearly Herman has locked up a good amount of the top talent in the state this year. We'll have to see what Fisher can do, if anything for the rest of this cycle. I'm looking forward to it!
Unknown_handle
AG
CLEARLY Tom Herman has no ability to address his O line and D line needs. I wonder if he will every have a winning season before he is fired with all of his recruiting victories?
technoviking
AG
Unknown_handle said:

CLEARLY Tom Herman has no ability to address his O line and D line needs. I wonder if he will every have a winning season before he is fired with all of his recruiting victories?
no doubt. his linemen situation is in dire straits currently.
Vinny
$o the top 5 are committed or highly con$ordering tu at thi$ time. I wonder what'$ going on over there?
Macarthur
technoviking said:

Unknown_handle said:

no doubt. his linemen situation is in dire straits currently.
Not only that, he still has issues at the most important position, QB.
Sean98
AG
technoviking said:

a look at the top 10 in texas for 2018, as it stands on the numbers site (12-6-17):

1. BJ Foster, S - Texas

2. Anthony Cook, CB - leaning Texas heavily

3. Caden Sterns, S - Texas

4. Jalen Green, CB - Texas

5. Brennan Eagles, WR - Texas

6. Jaylen Waddle, WR - TAMU/Bama battle - latest CBs say TAMU

7. DeMarvion Overshown S, OLB - Texas

8. Leon O'Neal, S - former TAMU commit, Fisher is working on getting him to TAMU

9. Joshua Moore, WR, S - Nebraska

10. Alvonte Woodard - WR - Texas

Man, this just shows you the true state of Texas HAS football. Every. Single. One of the Top10 is a WR or DB. They've become the PAC12.
AgBank
AG
That is why recruiting in traditional SEC country is so important; not every successful HS offense is running the spread.

Chosen One
The worst part about Texas offensive line recruiting isn't the actual recruiting, it's the level of need at this time. Texas currently has 7 open slots left, They are in such need that all seven slots could go toward the offensive line. It won't happen but that is how bad Texas is in trouble.

Last year Texas entered 2-a-Days with 18 scholarship linemen, for spring they are going in with ten.

As of right now Texas has OT Reese Moore a guy that is a clone of Connor Williams, and Rafiti Ghirmal both are currently ranked as 4'star and they lead for a big OT out of Utah Junior Angilau. If Texas got those three it would be a great haul most any year, but with so little depth Texas needs about 3 JC guys as well.

Next week they are hosting 3 JC guys in Trevor Elbert (former A&M player), Mike Grandy, and Jahmir Johnson. Never heard of them, that's alright, no one has. For Texas to have what I call a successful Oline haul they would need at least two of them to sign.

5 linemen give Texas 15 going into next year, far far from Ideal but it is also rumored there is some grad transfer Texas is getting, but no one knows anything more than that.

Iike I said, this is a complete crap storm for Texas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.