*** Game Thread: #12 Texas A&M vs #14 Purdue (Big Ten - SEC Challenge) ***

15,186 Views | 295 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by flintdragon
KLB93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What was with the sauna tonight? I didn't notice all the players soaking wet in the prior game.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you get blocked a lot and you can't block yourself, it goes downhill quickly.

We have the guns but maybe not the aim yet either via setting or shot selection. Purdue was very smart making us cover every corner of the court. For some reason, we don't tip offensively at all. I remember Hellmuth earning quite a few points on very good teams with tips.
Blitz88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disappointing in almost every phase of the game. Untimely service errors, blocking was MIA, sub-par setting, weak left side termination, no anticipation of setter dumps, lack of scrappy defense, and at least two crap calls (the pinky tip and the phantom carry). In short, a very frustrating match.
Jack Squat 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't watch tonight but noticed from previous games we are just way to slow in the middle. I'm not sure how you fix that but have faith in Coach and his staff.
I don't think you know me.
chap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disappointed in the loss. But also disappointed how "zoo ish" this thread got.

But glad about all the new fans!
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too early for anything to be a must win, but tomorrow against Indiana feels like a really need to win - especially with Stanford and Wisconsin waiting as the following two opponents.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could be wrong but I actually felt like our blocking has incrementally improved. It's still late which causes the ball to ricochet every which way because the hands aren't ready. The end result is the same, blocker not ready to block. I actually don't know anything about middles so let me know if I'm way off.

I can't remember which interview but one of the middles said she's leaning how to play middle in a completely different way. It's going to come together at some point, just don't know when.

What is really confounding me is why we get blocked so easily at times.
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ready to see the intensity we play with tomorrow, that will tell us everything about this team
HCliver82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Being at the match what you could t see on TV is the Mackey Center is not air conditioned. It got dayum hot and kept just getting worse. It had to be 85 by the third set. Purdue fans telling us the volleyball gym is air conditioned, but based on special event moves it into Mackey. Not an excuse, but you could see the drain on our girls. Looked to me like conditioning might be a consideration.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't make that excuse. It was hot on both sides of the court.

But when you are feeling down, the heat presses you down even further.
warrington
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if your use to playing in hot conditions its definitely a benefit to your team. heat and humidity drains energy
Drundel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I joined the match late, I thought it was on ESPN and I could watch it from start, but anyways I thought Game 1 and 2 were competitive; we lost 1 due to dumb errors.

You could tell we were mentally down in Game 3 and it was lost before we even started.

If we don't win today, I feel like its going downhill fast. I sure hope I'm wrong.
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Schedule is a little too rough with such a new/young team. Working Stowers back in is going to cause some minor chemistry issues too. Changing our approach on what we are doing with setting is also a factor.

I don't think we will really know what we have until we get to the post-Wisconsin part of the schedule. Hopefully this gauntlet will make SEC play a little easier on us.

This isn't last year's team and it's wrong for us to put those expectations on these girls. Having said that, all the matches we've lost have been decently close from a game standpoint. We aren't getting blown out by anyone. We clearly aren't 'there' yet but we aren't as far off as the losses make it seem.

From a mental standpoint, I really feel like we need to beat this Indiana team tonight. You can't drop these two matches and then have to face top 5 Stanford and Wisconsin without any kind of pick-me-up.
HCliver82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched the UGA vs IU game last night. From my vantage point I think Indiana, nor Georgia are as good a team as the Ags. The early game Mackey Center is also not full of fans and it was much cooler in the gym yesterday for that early game. It was very obvious how fast it warmed up when full of people.
HeyAbbott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good recap. This team will improve as the season progresses. Coming off the National Championship, expectations were too high. Also, Coach Jamie was offered to play in some of these high profile early non-conference games which is good for our program and recruiting. However with alot of new players on the team, the road will be bumpy over the new few weeks.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the BIG advantages this team had last year was consistent line up for 2+ years with very experienced players. Cal Poly certainly is not a better team athlete-wise but they know how to play as a team which gave us good competition.

We're 100% going to get better but this is a very tough opening schedule. We were competitive for all but 2 or 3 sets. As fans, yeah, we want to win those but you can see the pieces coming together. Every player so far under Morrison has grown tremendously in the first year. I'm expecting the same this year.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.