Loss of taste and smell but still negative?

3,756 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a bad head cold starting Wednesday. Tested wed negative. Worst was Friday. Sunday finally started to feel good but sense of smell was mostly gone so tested again before going out. Was still negative.

Today all other symtoms pretty much gone but now smell and taste completely gone.

I have not really taken a lot of Zinc, which I know can affect tatse. I'm off cold medicine.

Never vaxxed but had Covid in 2020

Should I test again?

Has anyone had something like this?
7nine
Tom Cardy
AG
tests have seemed to be inconsistent for a while, sometimes people never test positive but clearly have the symptoms. my guess is that you fall into that category
Texaggie7nine
My main reason for concern is , I have plans to go out for the 4th tonight. I feel completely fine besides no taste and smell, but I don't want to go out if I'm positive and can spread it.

If I test today and am still negative, should I just go about my day as usual?
7nine
Petrino1
Texaggie7nine said:

My main reason for concern is , I have plans to go out for the 4th tonight. I feel completely fine besides no taste and smell, but I don't want to go out if I'm positive and can spread it.

If I test today and am still negative, should I just go about my day as usual?

I would bet money you have covid but for whatever reason are testing negative. Either way, if you're just recovering from a cold it doesn't sound like a good idea to go out today lol.
Texaggie7nine
Negative yet again.

No cold symptoms even after being out drinking all yesterday.
7nine
terradactylexpress
If you're really concerned you could go find a rapid pcr, but otherwise if you have no symptoms and have repeatedly tested neg I'd think you'd be good togo
The Fall Guy
AG
Use common sense like we did before Covid.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cdc guidance is 5 days from onset and 24 hours fever free. So sick Wednesday should be fine Monday if no fever Sunday. Wouldnt bother testing. Most contagious crap should be treated this way where people try to lay low (as best they can) until fever free 24 hrs
Texaggie7nine
Got most of taste back today and some smell.

I ended up going out. Never had fever, feel 100% now. Honestly don't know what to think. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.
7nine
Rex Racer
AG
The home tests are 60% accurate. You should have taken another one the next day or 2 days later. It probably would have been positive.

I just had my 2nd round of COVID last week. Tested negative Tuesday, positive Wednesday.
Aston94
AG
Feel sick? Stay home.

Don't feel sick? Go out.

Doesn't really matter if it is Covid or not anymore as it is now another systemic virus.
Texaggie7nine
Tested Wed, then Sunday, then Monday. All negative.
7nine
Rex Racer
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Tested Wed, then Sunday, then Monday. All negative.
Hmmmm. Then either you didn't have COVID, or you just got a batch of really crappy tests.
Al Bula
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Use common sense like we did before Covid.
yep. Pop a few advil cold and sinus and commence to partying.
Matsui
Jabin
Rex Racer said:

The home tests are 60% accurate. You should have taken another one the next day or 2 days later. It probably would have been positive.

I just had my 2nd round of COVID last week. Tested negative Tuesday, positive Wednesday.
How are you doing this time, Rex? Didn't you get hospitalized the first time?
Rex Racer
AG
Jabin said:

Rex Racer said:

How are you doing this time, Rex? Didn't you get hospitalized the first time?

Yes, I was hospitalized for 16 days in 2021. I am fine now. Just had a stuffy nose for several days this time. I am 100% now. Thanks for asking!
Texaggie7nine
So, I guess it wasn't CV after all, because I ended up actually getting it for sure this weekend. No loss of taste or smell. Scratchy throat Friday caused me to test and it was +. Sat was fever, chills, extreme fatigue and a lot of muscle pain. Sunday much better. Today just feels like a small cold.

7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.