Got COVID for the 2nd Time

7,722 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SpringAg92
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This time is so much worse than the first. I have a headache that will not quit! Started antivirals today, which is either day 3 or 4. Until yesterday afternoon I thought I had allergies.
billyjack2009
When did you have your first bout? Mine was in January so likely omicron. Wondering if it'll provide any protection.
combat wombat™
AG
May 2021

I think it was the alpha variant we all got it from my husband and he had the alpha variant.
Gilligan
AG
Get well soon!
cc_ag92
AG
My sister had it in January and again this month.
billyjack2009
Worse the second time?
combat wombat™
AG
For me? Absolutely.

1st time it was like bad allergies. This time it was like REALLY bad allergies, a headache that would not quit, cough, sore throat, and fever that got above 102… that's really high for me.

I'm starting to feel better now but my mouth tastes like I've been sucking on nasty, chalky, prescription pills. I brush my teeth and it's still there, drink something and it is still there. GROSS.
cc_ag92
AG
Definitely
She felt like she had the flu the first time, for about three days.

The second time was a full week and she slept all day and night for the first three, then was able to stay awake, but had a fever and headache for four more days.
billyjack2009
billyjack2009
Bleh. Sorry about that!
combat wombat™
AG
Oh, look, I'm one of the 6%.
KidDoc
AG
I get this with the antibiotic Clindamycin. It sucks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsMyDude
AG
FWIW when I got in in January I had that headache that wouldn't quit. Even on max ibuprofen and alternating with acetaminophen. Steroid and time was the only thing that relieved it and the accompanying sinus pressure;

Hang in there.
combat wombat™
AG
By mid-day Sunday the headache was gone (for the most part). But it was a solid 48 hours with that headache.

I haven't been sleeping well, I think it's the antiviral… I wake up with that gross taste in my mouth and have to swish with water to get it out. This actually wakes me up. Developed a bit of a cough but it's minor, I'm hoarse, still have head congestion, and I get tired pretty quickly when I get up and start doing housework. But I'm much better that on Friday/Saturday.
Get Off My Lawn
AgsMyDude said:

FWIW when I got in in January I had that headache that wouldn't quit. Even on max ibuprofen and alternating with acetaminophen. Steroid and time was the only thing that relieved it and the accompanying sinus pressure;

Hang in there.
Yeah, in my case early this year I tried for a few days to Tylenol that headache away, but when I pivoted to Ibuprofen it melted away. For me, it seemed to be a function of upper sinus pressure.
AgsMyDude
AG
combat wombat said:

By mid-day Sunday the headache was gone (for the most part). But it was a solid 48 hours with that headache.

I haven't been sleeping well, I think it's the antiviral… I wake up with that gross taste in my mouth and have to swish with water to get it out. This actually wakes me up. Developed a bit of a cough but it's minor, I'm hoarse, still have head congestion, and I get tired pretty quickly when I get up and start doing housework. But I'm much better that on Friday/Saturday.
Great to hear!
aggierogue
AG
combat wombat said:

This time is so much worse than the first. I have a headache that will not quit! Started antivirals today, which is either day 3 or 4. Until yesterday afternoon I thought I had allergies.
Vaccinated?
combat wombat™
AG
No.
dubi
AG
cc_ag92 said:

My sister had it in January and again this month.
I had it in January 2022 and didn't even know it. I have it again now and just have a snotty nose.
tk for tu juan
https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cinnamon-candies-paxlovid-aftertaste/
cc_ag92
AG
How do you know you had it in January?

My sister was truly sick both times. She wouldn't have tested otherwise.
dubi
AG
cc_ag92 said:

How do you know you had it in January?

My sister was truly sick both times. She wouldn't have tested otherwise.

Texas Cares antibody study showed a spike. Otherwise I would never have known.

My hubbies first case of Covid was also asymptomatic.

combat wombat™
AG
I've been over COVID for a while but my voice sounding hoarse won't go away.
WestTexasAg
AG
combat wombat said:

I've been over COVID for a while but my voice sounding hoarse won't go away.
I just got Covid for the second time, and my story is very similar to yours. The first time was very mild. Runny nose and a headache for a couple of days. This time is started with a feeling in my throat that made me cough, and then the coughing really intensified. Lost my voice for the most part. Stopped up, tired and coughing a lot the last 3 days. Better today. Haven't had a fever.

I got prescribed Paxlovid "if needed", but the doc didn't strongly suggest I take it. I am better today. Voice coming back. Still coughing, but that's about it. Tomorrow will be day 4. I know you can't wait too long to take the Paxlovid or there is no point. Given the improvements today, should I skip it or take starting in the morning?
dubi
AG
I'd skip it if you are feeling better.

/not a medical professional
combat wombat™
AG
I'd probably skip it. I wouldn't of taken it at all if it wasn't for that headache that I could not get rid of. It laid me out in bed - I was useless.

I have since heard, and I don't know the accuracy of this, that people who take Paxlovid are more likely to become reinfected again. And I'm wondering whether the Paxlovid has anything to do with my still being hoarse two weeks after I had COVID.
Charpie
AG
CW, it's not a reinfection. Something like 8 percent of cases have prolonged symptoms with Paxlovid. It acts like a virus suppressant. So when your doses are over, it can just keep going. The husband and I didn't experience that. Neither did my mother in law
combat wombat™
AG
Yeah, I might be in that 8%. A few days ago I thought I might have gotten it again because of some mild, allergy-like symptoms.
lb3
AG
I was asymptomatic my second go round.
SpringAg92
First bout was in December 2020 and I was extremely ill. Ended up with long Covid. Just tested positive Friday and thought I might have the flu. Started Paxlovid Saturday and while I'm still sick, symptoms are much more mild. Hoping to get through this more quickly this time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.