Latest Guidance on Covid - Same Household

4,003 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cc_ag92
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you live with two people who tested positive for Covid, but have no symptoms yourself, are you supposed to do anything special or just go about life as usual (work, etc?).
Trucker 96
Treat it like any other virus and keep l-i-v-i-n until you appear to have it
cc_ag92
AG
Actual CDC guidance

If it were me, I would be cautious about who I'm around if someone in my household had it. I probably wouldn't go see my parents for a few weeks. I'd also be very aware of any onset of symptoms.

This is all based on the amount of people I know who have passed it through their families in the past month. Most of the people have caught it from a high school kid then it raced through the family. No severe illnesses that resulted in hospitalization, but lots of very sick people with fevers and flu symptoms that last from 5-10 days.
Picadillo
There are prevention protocols you can take. Consult a doctor who believes in early treatment.
geoag58
AG
What do you normally do when someone has a cold?
cc_ag92
AG
The more appropriate question... "What do you do when someone has the flu?" Every single person I know who has caught it in the last month was laid up for at least a week with flu-like symptoms. Probably 30 people
Premium
AG
This was to decide if an employee of ours should work from home since they live with 2 people that got it. Ended up telling them they could come to the office but if they had symptoms then to stay home.
75AG
AG
geoag58 said:

I've got it, and this stuff ain't no cold. Get the antiviral to those infected, try to stay away from them, or at least masked for 5 days. Treating it like a cold is ignorant and dangerous.
DadHammer
AG
75AG said:

geoag58 said:

I've got it, and this stuff ain't no cold. Get the antiviral to those infected, try to stay away from them, or at least masked for 5 days. Treating it like a cold is ignorant and dangerous.
It hits people differently for sure. It's was nothing for me, two days of the sniffles, that was it.
Premium
AG
Could be coincidental, but 2 people got Corona (tested positive) and another 2 people have a few symptoms (so guessing Corona) and I might have it too (pending test).
Premium
AG
So far 4 positives, myself included, and 2 negatives of people not feeling good. Pending one who isn't feeling good.

This is my 4th time to get it… not worried but just an interesting anecdote.
Capitol Ag
AG
75AG said:

geoag58 said:

Curious how you can assert that treating like a cold is "ignorant and dangerous". So if one is only mildly I'll they are ignorant to let it pass and not do anything about it? Sure, IF one feels very ill, seek treatment. If not, and for the vast majority at this point, the illness is mild, there's really not anything required.

My issue is stating that someone is ignorant when they make a personal decision regarding treatment for their own illness. No need to call someone ignorant if they know their own body and severity of their infection. Your comment is part of this belief system that still has people taking needless precautions regarding Covid and not viewing it for what it's become, a much milder infection to most. Hopefully it stays that way!
cc_ag92
AG
Calling it a cold is ignorant. Acting like it is a death sentence is ignorant.

It's typically like the flu, not fun at all, but also not as dangerous for compromised people as it was in the beginning.

The "cold crew" is tiresome.
Premium
AG
So what is the new guidance on after symptoms appear? I've read 5 days but it usually qualifies it with another 5 days with a mask. Seems like 5 days from first symptoms is enough?
PerpetualLurker
Yes, earlier of symptoms start or test positive.

Below is the guidance from the CDC. Basically isolation for 5 days, then mask up for next 5, but no travel for 10 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html#iso
hoodlum98
AG
cc_ag92 said:

It's typically like the flu, not fun at all, but also not as dangerous for compromised people as it was in the beginning.

So is treating this thing like it's the worst virus to ever show up mentality.
Capitol Ag
AG
cc_ag92 said:

I agree. I think it would be more accurate to have stated "what do you normally do for a respiratory illness" instead of using the word "cold". I think the point being that too many are still resorting to overstating the dangers of Covid as if this were Feb 2020. Some could even argue the dangers were initially overstated then, we just were not sure yet.
Capitol Ag
AG
hoodlum98 said:

cc_ag92 said:

So is treating this thing like it's the worst virus to ever show up mentality.

Agree here too. I think the biggest take away is use common sense. If your symptoms are bad enough to seek help, do. If not, you are extremely likely to be fine. We are in most cases our best judge of how we feel and what we need to do to fight the infection. The sooner we get to the point that we view this as any other respiratory infection, in the absolute terms of how it is effecting is when we start showing signs through the point where things worsen, the better society will be as there is a lot bigger issue nowadays from anxiety and stress over Covid potential than actual dangers from Covid imo.
Premium
AG
Premium said:

So far 4 positives, myself included, and 2 negatives of people not feeling good. Pending one who isn't feeling good.

This is my 4th time to get it… not worried but just an interesting anecdote.
Update, 7 positives and 1 other not feeling good. Usually 10-11 people in office and on Friday we had a lunch with 16 total. This thing is very contagious.
cc_ag92
AG
I agree. I didn't see anyone in this. thread doing that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.