FDA Shuts Out Its Own Experts

4,573 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fullback44
samurai_science
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-shuts-out-its-own-experts-in-authorizing-another-booster-covid-vaccine-pandemic-science-11649016728

The Food and Drug Administration last week authorized Americans 50 and over to get a fourth Covid vaccine dose. Some of the FDA's own experts disagree with the decision, but the agency simply ignored them.
ORAggieFan
Not the first time it's happened. Also why two of the leaders left the FDA.
DadHammer
AG
This is getting insane, did the vaccine companies buy the government?
garyt73
AG
The major drug companies have owned the FDA for years. That is the only explanation for us paying so much more for some life saving/altering drugs here than people in the rest of the world pay.
Aston94
AG
As someone who has dealt with the FDA for 20 years as an in house counsel for a medical device company, I can tell you that this is not surprising in the least. Most of the FDA high levels come from big pharma, and big pharma uses FDA to keep out competition. I have fought FDA and their desire to protect big pharma for many, many years.

DannyDuberstein
AG
DadHammer said:

Yes
JFABNRGR
AG
DadHammer said:

Yes they did. Under the table.
Iowaggie
AG
Several months old, but it still applies and it still makes me laugh.

Pfizer as "ethical" company to be a fan of....

Aston94
AG
"My pronouns are Phi, Zi and Zer."
agracer
AG
garyt73 said:

The major drug companies have owned the FDA for years. That is the only explanation for us paying so much more for some life saving/altering drugs here than people in the rest of the world pay.
. Actually it's price fixing in other countries that push the higher prices on US consumers.

If the drug could be sold at a profit for $100 worldwide and the EU countries fix the price at $50, US citizens get to pay $150 (or more if they can get away with it).

Yes this is a very simplified example but that's the gist of it.
garyt73
AG
I am apparently not smart enough to understand this logic. Are you saying that other countries are taking better care of their citizens than the US is? I do not understand why we have to subsidize the world in so many things.

I am also aware of drug companies "patent" or (whatever it is called in the pharma world) approaching expiration of their protection date only for the FDA to extend the period of sole manufacturing rights. Then the company sold the manufacturing rights to another company for over 1 billion dollars. See Lunesta.
All the while the world was buying the product cheaply, we were paying several times more for it than everyone else and as soon as the artificially extended protection period expired, US prices dropped to a world level.
fullback44
AG
for all those talking about vaccines and boosters.. you may want to start following these guys.. the Pfizer data release has started and it doesnt look good for what Pfizer was telling the population about their vaccines.

RELEASE OF PFIZER DOCUMENTS Lawyers For Justice (wordpress.com)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.