Paxlovid

8,139 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgResearch
speckledtrout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious to see if anybody has taken this medication. I'm not sure if physicians can even prescribe this drug yet due to availability. If you have taken it ( or know someone that has ), did it work well ?
KidDoc
AG
speckledtrout said:

Curious to see if anybody has taken this medication. I'm not sure if physicians can even prescribe this drug yet due to availability. If you have taken it ( or know someone that has ), did it work well ?
We can prescribe it. I have only used it once on a teen with asthma and he wasn't hospitalized so I guess that is a good outcome.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
lil99chris
AG
I used it (early February) and had no symptoms within 2 days.
FlyRod
Do we have any data on whether Paxlovid can/might prevent/lessen long Covid, or too early to tell?
petebaker
75AG
AG
I started yesterday and already feeling better. However, I have metallic taste which I've read is a common side effect.

Edited to add: I'm also stopping my rosuvastatin until through with the antiviral.
matureag
AG
82 yr old with heart, kidney comorbidities. Just recovered after 5 days of COVID with very sore throat as prevalent symptom. Paxlovid taken over 5 days and seemed to accelerate recovery. Would take it again.
combat wombat™
AG
I took it and was feeling better after 2 days. Still had symptoms, but better.

Had a terrible taste in my mouth while taking it. Bad enough that it woke me up at night. Every hour… to rinse my mouth out.
tk for tu juan
On day 2 of taking paxlovid and the bad taste is starting to remind me of the after taste of drinking stale Shiner Bock or Bass Ale
JJWAGGIE
AG
Two days of use and I was feeling quite a bit better... I had the nasty metallic taste but compared to the way I was feeling prior it's use, it was well worth it and would take again,
PJYoung
AG
Just took my first dose this afternoon. Hoping to feel better by tomorrow night.

EDIT: dramatic improvement after the 2nd day. But yeah, paxlovid mouth sucks. Horrible taste with me for a good 6 hours each day/night.
PJYoung
AG
BTW, my wife was one of the 2% that had a rebound after taking paxlovid after like 8 or 9 days. Fever and everything for about a day.
Charpie
AG
PJYoung said:

Just took my first dose this afternoon. Hoping to feel better by tomorrow night.

Sucks that y'all got it.
PJYoung
AG
Charpie said:

PJYoung said:

Sucks that y'all got it.

It was bound to happen. I dodged it when my wife got it 6 weeks ago but my daughter brought it home after a weekend at the beach.
tk for tu juan
Get some cinnamon hard candy or gum in case you get the "paxlovid mouth" (it shows up about 2 to 3 hours after each dose). The candy/gum helps with the bad taste, especially when it wakes you up in the middle of the night
Jock 07
AG
Other than the unpleasant taste any other side effects to be aware of? 2 6 month old infants and 6 year old popped hot yesterday. Pretty sure wife and I probably have it. I don't plan on jacking with it but my wife is a type 1 diabetic with asthma so we're thinking about it for her. The boys are all doing better today, 6 year old is his usual active self, no fevers in any of the boys, even after going 8ish hours without meds.
JJWAGGIE
AG
Im diabetic as well... no problem there (insulin etc. not impacted). She will have easy access to Paxlovid with that condition.

She will need to make sure she has a list of meds with her and they may have her stop taking a few for the 5 day period. It apparently prevents the body from absorbing some meds thus those meds build up in you during the 5 day period. It is then all released quickly after the 5 day regiment is over leading to potential overdose. Im no doctor but that was the general idea I got.
KidDoc
AG
Study finds no measurable benefit for 40-64 year olds.

Study finds Pfizer's antiviral has little or even zero benefit for younger adults, and WHO says BA.5 omicron subvariant accounted for 74% of cases in latest week (msn.com)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgResearch
AG
Not surprised. My mom took it and her symptoms ran the same course as mine then 2-3 days of rebound symptoms after the 5 day course of meds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.