Can we all agree this is an endemic now?

3,501 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Capitol Ag
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure there are still people that get really sick and even die with Covid being a contributor. But man, we get 7-10 new cases a day in Brazos County. It seems that last round of new cases combined with those who are vaccinated has gotten us to this point.

Are we done? There will always be new cases. There will also always be improved treatment of you catch it. I ask this as I sit in an airport (IAH) which seems to be the last holdout (air travel in general) to "combat the spread."

I can't help but think this is just theatrics at this point. What am I missing?
80sGeorge
AG
Early on I seem to remember that a it wasn't a pandemic until test positivity was 6% or greater.

No idea if that is still the thinking or not?
RockOn
Certainly seems like it. Where I'm at in Utah, our 7day avg case count 169. For the entire state.
fightingfarmer09
Saw the Pfizer CEO on the news this morning discussing the coming approval for <5 year old vaccinations. Also discussed the need for the 4th booster.

scd88
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Saw the Pfizer CEO on the news this morning discussing the coming approval for <5 year old vaccinations. Also discussed the need for the 4th booster.

I mean, that's the drug guy...he's gonna say that. I'm not sure I trust the wolf watching the henhouse regarding the well being of the hens....
Bucketrunner
Gotta make those vaccine sales go higher, whether you need it or not. I totally ignore what the drug manufacturers say.
01agtx
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Which will certainly cause the next "wave."
scd88
AG
Reported new cases in Brazos County this morning - 0.

Can China contain their outbreak or is another freak out coming?
Capitol Ag
AG
Yes. It is an endemic. At this point it is time to move on and end all restrictions and mandates and honestly they need to be permanently ended regardless of what the "outbreaks" in Hong Kong and Europe become. Given the number of confirmed recovered cases combined with those that were vaccinated, enough people have either had a variant of this or been vaccinated to the point where we are safe enough to go forward without much consideration for future Covid cases. The fact is if you have survived Covid the first time, the odds are extremely slight you will have future serious complications from the virus if you are indeed infected. This has been studied pretty well at this point.

What I do not understand is that, at this point, how one would still mask if they are not seriously comorbid is beyond me. I see way too many younger, healthy people masked up and way too many young children masked for no reason and it is sad. I do hope that as time goes by these people come to their senses and end this practice. I also would love the news to stop continued reporting of every single "outbreak" of Covid. Won't happen I know as the news is incentivized to report sensationalism.
coolerguy12
AG
scd88 said:

I'm sure there are still people that get really sick and even die with Covid being a contributor. But man, we get 7-10 new cases a day in Brazos County. It seems that last round of new cases combined with those who are vaccinated has gotten us to this point.

Are we done? There will always be new cases. There will also always be improved treatment of you catch it. I ask this as I sit in an airport (IAH) which seems to be the last holdout (air travel in general) to "combat the spread."

I can't help but think this is just theatrics at this point. What am I missing?

It's been theatrics for about 2 years now
Capitol Ag
AG
Here is the case for keeping the mitigations/masks:

The Biden Administration Killed America's Collective Pandemic Approach

and this:

Its incredibly sad that people still view it this way. There is no more risk at this point to most than in any regular flu season given the amount of recovered and vaccinated/boosted. Yet we are supposed to "protect" every last at risk individual. That would essentially mean this will never end the way they argue this. The fact is that not enough people are at risk from this to warrant any policy regarding Covid be made...

West Point Aggie
AG
scd88 said:

Silly question…the reason is clear and happens in the fall

Shhhhhhhhh…don't tell anyone!
hoosierAG
AG
It's time to move on and live...long past that IMO. What's interesting though is UK/Europe numbers going back up again. I think cases are up 50% from last couple weeks and climbing along with hospitalizations. Supposed reasons are new deltacron variant, waning immunity from vaccines and natural immunity, and of course "opening" up with no restrictions (sigh).

Anyways, we normally follow UK trends so will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, in the next 2 months or so. Again, I don't care and moved on long ago, but we all know what can happen with those in control....
Capitol Ag
AG
scd88 said:

China's outbreak is omicron and given that they have a zero tolerance policy so will do a complete shut down at the drop of a hat, it gives the appearance of a rise of the least dangerous variant seem alarmingly bad when it is not. Europe is seeing an uptick of Omicron and strangely an uptick of hospitalizations in conjunction with the uptick which normally takes 10 days to happen. Problem is that it could just be an uptick with covid not b/c of covid. Regardless, ICUs are not filling up. The issue here is the alarmists will claim early mitigation is the only answer and only be concerned with infections that increase regardless of hospitalizations. Even in the article I posted, they are against just using hospital overflow as the main metric. It'll come here as well most likely. Can we hold off the alarmists this time from unnecessarily masking kids, limiting access in certain places and states and pushing vaccines and/or boosters on children when they just aren't needed in the very young?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.