Post Covid Conjunctivitis?

2,825 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ptery83
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pink eye is the worst. So far I've gotten very little relief from it. I got over Covid a few weeks ago, but developed this itchy scratchy grainy feeling in my right eye last eeek. What can I do besides prescription drops and warm compresses? What does this mean as far as me being contagious?
cc_ag92
AG
Not a doctor, but I've had pink eye a few times, as have my children. You may need antibiotics. If it started a few weeks post-Covid, why do you think it's related? Couldn't it just be a separate infection?
Philip J Fry
AG
Could be. I've read Covid is a a common cause though. Eye drops haven't helped at all, so I'm thinking it isn't bacterial.
cc_ag92
AG
I'm not an expert, but are you using antibiotic eye drops or over the counter eye drops? Only antibiotic drops would help if it's bacterial, right?

I've heard that conjuntivitis can happen with Covid, but I am not familiar with it happening afterwards. If it's not getting better, I would check with my doctor. I can easily send a message in the portal. If you have something like that, maybe they can help you out with this. Good luck!
Agthatbuilds
Interesting. Both my kids have had covid symptoms (though negative tests) over the last week and both illnesses were followed up with a pink eye like infection.

Hmmm
Philip J Fry
AG
I went to the eye doctor and he prescribed antibiotic drops.

Pretty much staying away from otc drops like visine.
88planoAg
AG
I get reoccurring conjunctivitis that I'm pretty sure is allergy related, never travels from eye to eye, lasts a couple of days at a time. Reoccurring meaning every 3 weeks or more. Doubt it is related to covid but symptoms are the same regardless of type of conjunctivitis - allergy/viral/bacterial - except the contagious ones go from one eye to the other.

My eye doc mostly agrees but has to see it to be sure and hasn't. She had an eyeLID wash that she recommended. I've been using that 2x/day and that seems to be helping keep it away. Also wash eyes out with ONLY saline drops - artificial tears several times/day.

Contagious conjunctivitis will travel eye to eye, so be careful not to rub one eye then the other or use same towel with both eyes, etc.
Philip J Fry
AG
Is the eyelid wash over the counter? I'm thinking I'll pick up a saline rinse today
88planoAg
AG
Not sure. Bought from eye doc directly.
Capitol Ag
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Pink eye is the worst. So far I've gotten very little relief from it. I got over Covid a few weeks ago, but developed this itchy scratchy grainy feeling in my right eye last eeek. What can I do besides prescription drops and warm compresses? What does this mean as far as me being contagious?
Regarding the pink eye or Covid? It has been a few weeks since you had Covid so I am going out on a limb here and saying you are no longer contagious for Covid. Pink eye on the other hand...

My honest opinion based on my prior stays at the Holiday Inn: You just got pink eye. It happens. Pretty common actually. I wouldn't necessarily connect a post Covid bout of pink eye on the prior Covid at all.
agdoc2001
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I went to the eye doctor and he prescribed antibiotic drops.

Pretty much staying away from otc drops like visine.

You're doctor isn't helping you. I can count on 1 hand the number of bacterial conjunctivitis cases I've seen. It's viral, you need steroid eye drops.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ptery83
Where are you located? Roughly.
Philip J Fry
AG
Roughly in the Mojave desert
woodlees
AG
Ocular transmission of the COVID virus is well known and conjunctivitis with COVID is also well known

Ho D, Low R, Tong L, Gupta V, Veeraraghavan A, Agrawal R. COVID-19 and the Ocular Surface: A Review of Transmission and Manifestations. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2020 Jul 3;28(5):726-734. doi: 10.1080/09273948.2020.1772313. Epub 2020 Jun 16. PMID: 32543262.

If you were my patient, I would send you to an ophthalmologist as there are many other etiologies that need to be evaluated, including allergic conjunctivitis

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ptery83
Drats. Can't help you then.
Philip J Fry
AG
This is what my ophthalmologist prescribed me
Ptery83
Pic isn't working. Is it Moxifloxacin?
Philip J Fry
AG

Ptery83
Ah. Generic Tobra-Dex. Antibiotic-steroid combo. Should help if it's bacterial (less common) or regular viral conjunctivitis (will help but has to run its course like a cold) If it's allergic get OTC extra strength Pataday and use once a day. Also consider aggressive lubrication with Refresh or Systane. If it was anything else like HSK/HZK your ophthalmologist would have told you. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ptery83 said:

Ah. Generic Tobra-Dex. Antibiotic-steroid combo. Should help if it's bacterial (less common) or regular viral conjunctivitis (will help but has to run its course like a cold) If it's allergic get OTC extra strength Pataday and use once a day. Also consider aggressive lubrication with Refresh or Systane. If it was anything else like HSK/HZK your ophthalmologist would have told you. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM.

That's what she said.
Ptery83
Lol
Philip J Fry
AG
Thanks for the Refresh/Systane suggestion. I opted for the lubricating gel drops and they've definitely improved my comfort level.
Ptery83
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.