Lingering Cough and Congestion

5,131 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Guardian Angel
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tested positive Wednesday the 12th. Never really had a cough during the symptoms just fever, bodyaches, headache, tired. Symptoms were pretty much over by Saturday the 15th. Ever since Monday/Tuesday i have having a lot of drainage and coughing fits with a little rattle in my right lung. Is this normal for COVID post symptoms. O2 levels are good 97-98 where they always are.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
jopatura
AG
I'm still coughing a little more then usual and I'm a full month out at this point. Usually when I talk or laugh. From other friends who have had it, it's not uncommon for the cough to hang around a long time.
AgLA06
AG
Positive between Christmas and New Years. Still congested and cough at night.

Beyond annoying.
IJones23
I've had symptoms since the 14th, tested positive on the 16th. My cough the past two days has been terrible and my phlegm is extremely thick. I'm kinda freaking out cause my BOL has been 97-98 this whole time. Today it dropped to 93-94.
JB!98
AG
May want to get that checked out. I am good to go in the afternoons and evenings. I get most of my congestion and coughing in the mornings after I wake up and get to moving around.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
jopatura
AG
My coughs have never been phlegm-y, even in the thick of it.
JB!98
AG
jopatura said:

I have a slight rattle in my right lung that I can clear by coughing. Its like a dime sized thick phlegm that I can clear out. Very thick snot when I blow my nose.
AgLA06
AG
Mine dropped like that one day and then was fine.
BulletBob
jopatura said:

I'm still coughing a little more then usual and I'm a full month out at this point. Usually when I talk or laugh. From other friends who have had it, it's not uncommon for the cough to hang around a long time.
Same, I'm 23 days from first getting symptoms and still cough off and on, very annoying.
KidDoc
AG
Sounds like my old buddy mycoplasma. See your doc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JB!98
AG
KidDoc said:

Who was this intended for Doc?
KidDoc
AG
JB!98 said:

KidDoc said:

For you. It sounds like mycoplasma or walking pneumonia.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JB!98
AG
KidDoc said:

JB!98 said:

KidDoc said:

For you. It sounds like mycoplasma or walking pneumonia.
Ok, thanks. Will get it checked out,
MooreTrucker
AG
I think I had it a couple of weeks ago. Never got tested, but confirmed exposure to someone who did test positive.

No real symptoms except really tired for a couple of days. And a nagging mostly dry cough that won't go away without albuterol inhaler and Dayquil/Nyquil. I've also fired up a little aromatherapy humidifier thing with (occasionally) some eucalyptus oil.
mncag
Nasal rinse cleared me up
woodlees
AG
Agree with advice above, as mycoplasma is notorious for prolonged respiratory symptoms including coughing that can last for 3-4 weeks or more.

My preference in testing for etiology of upper respiratory infections is to do a COVID PCR test and in addition, a sputum sample for what we call a multiplexed respiratory panel.

The multiplexed respiratory panel tests for about a dozen viruses (including rhinovirus, influenza, metapneumovirus, and others) and also mycoplasma
woodlees
AG
Oh, forgot to add standard influenza testing
JB!98
AG
As an update, I am hard headed and did not go see a doc about the cough and congestion. It has pretty much cleared up as of last week. So about 3 weeks post COVID to clear it out. O2 never changed during the time, so I just fought through it. Hope everyone is doing well.
Athanasius
AG
All family members in my house have been fighting something for 5 weeks. 2 adults, 3 kids. Same symptoms as above-
  • cough
  • congestion
  • ear congestion
  • trouble sleeping
  • NO endurance
  • brain fog
  • but high O2 readings
  • Also, high blood pressure.

Out of us, 3 negative covid, 3 negative flu, and 2 negative strep.

Zero positive tests of anything.

Our doctor said she's not convinced it isn't covid, and the tests aren't working (both rapid and pcr).

Very annoying. If we weren't WFH, we would be on short term disability now.

Would love answers...
BulletBob
jopatura said:

jopatura - same, did your cough ever subside? Did you see a doc? I went to the doc after my last post and they gave me an inhaler to use for a week. Didn't help. I'm going to make an appointment this week. I'm 44 days in and still feel like I need to cough off and on throughout the day, nothing there, just the urge. Not bad but still annoying.

AgLA06
AG
Tested positive between Christmas New Years. Tested negative 1/7/21.

Cough finally subsided this week.
jopatura
AG
BulletBob said:

jopatura said:

jopatura - same, did your cough ever subside? Did you see a doc? I went to the doc after my last post and they gave me an inhaler to use for a week. Didn't help. I'm going to make an appointment this week. I'm 44 days in and still feel like I need to cough off and on throughout the day, nothing there, just the urge. Not bad but still annoying.

Never saw a doctor. Took about 6 weeks to clear up overall. One day I woke up and it was over, thankfully.
Buying_time
AG
Very sorry to hear. Not a doc, just a thought.

Went through something similar and ended up taking Theraflu. Struggled with minimal sleep prior to taking the med. The lack of sleep made the other conditions worse. After taking the med, I was able to sleep and then things cleared up very quickly.

Hope you guys get better soon.
Guardian Angel
AG
Athanasius said:

All family members in my house have been fighting something for 5 weeks. 2 adults, 3 kids. Same symptoms as above-
  • cough
  • congestion
  • ear congestion
  • trouble sleeping
  • NO endurance
  • brain fog
  • but high O2 readings
  • Also, high blood pressure.

Out of us, 3 negative covid, 3 negative flu, and 2 negative strep.

Zero positive tests of anything.

Our doctor said she's not convinced it isn't covid, and the tests aren't working (both rapid and pcr).

Very annoying. If we weren't WFH, we would be on short term disability now.

Would love answers...
Mountain cedar season begins in December, peaks in January, and ends around Valentine's Day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.