Taste sensitive to salt after COVID

7,188 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by iisanaggie
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two different friends have said that following COVID, they are really sensitive to salt - everything tastes salty with only a little there. Anybody else hear of this?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Capitol Ag
AG
Sorry I can't add anything to this but it is puzzling.

It's really interesting given all the interesting and strange things covid causes or has associated with it and it seems new things come up all the time. Right now Covid is understandably under a microscope and we become aware of a lot of things that probably come up with other viruses but given we are not hyper focused on them, the side effect isn't common knowledge like it becomes with Covid. Seriously, it makes me curious to find out what issues arise with common colds and the flu. I am willing to go out on a limb and say that there are a lot of similar strange presentations with other viruses we never hear about.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
To my knowledge I have not had Covid. However I did have something respiratory 3 weeks ago, but tested negative. But since then, I've notived lots of food taste overly salty that usually don't. It's been weird. So now I'll be watching this thread.
aggiemike02
AG
There have been comments about this same occurrence in other threads here on this board.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes. That happened to me.
PerpetualLurker
My mom said the same thing when she got covid in December. Salty foods were amplified for her.
Caliber
AG
That actually isn't the worst thing in the world... Most of us eat far too much sodium anyway.
oklaunion
When we were in quarantine, a friend brought us some BB sandwiches. They were most excellent as usual but I could only eat half of mine. After being in the fridge for a day, I ate the other half for lunch. It tasted like I had doused it with salt and I couldn't eat it all.
However, when I added salt to other food occasionally to see if I could detect it, I could not at all. That lasted about 3 months.
rptsAg03
After losing taste and smell, salt was the first thing to "come back" after Covid. Like I could eat a potato chip, that didn't taste like a potato chip, but it was salty. It wasn't so much like it tasted overly salty, more like all you could taste was the salt. Spouse was the same way.
TPS Reports
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

To my knowledge I have not had Covid. However I did have something respiratory 3 weeks ago, but tested negative. But since then, I've notived lots of food taste overly salty that usually don't. It's been weird. So now I'll be watching this thread.
I could pretty much copy and paste this for me too. Something respiratory like bronchitis 3 weeks ago but several negative tests. Yet now noticing the salty food thing on stuff that never registered before.
Proposition Joe
Sweets were muted by about 80%

Salt was about 10x
Fitch
AG
Yes, I've experienced the same. Not radically different, but definitely taste salt more now 2 weeks past recovering.

No other changes to taste / smell. Really only dipped slightly one day while sick and never really lost either sense.
bqce
AG
Definitely happened to me. I love salt, but recently I could barely eat things that my wife said weren't salty to her. Usually it's the other way around.
AgRebel08
AG
4 of us had covid, all 4 didn't completely lose taste but did somewhat. Everything was salty, I think as someone said salt maybe came back first.
spherical
AG
This happened to my brother during COVID- which actually led to his main issue of dehydration - water tasted like "sea water"
FJB
AG
I can vouch that the covid made food taste extra salty
lotsofhp
AG
Add me to the list. Had some salt and vinegar chips from schlotzskys that I usually love. Holy moly almost knocked me over.
Cyp0111
1 week past covid. Very sensitive to salt.
harge57
AG
Not sure that I had COVID. Have not been sick and have not been tested, but I have been extremely sensitive to salt the last few days.
hbtheduce
AG
For me, my smell of "oily" foods was changed and amplified. The grease has a very unique smell and taste now. Still demolish whataburger and caines though.
akaggie05
AG
I noticed the salt thing in a major way. Had lost most appetite but at one point tried to eat a sandwich. I thought that someone had dumped an entire shaker of salt in it.
iisanaggie
AG
I was the opposite. I wanted to add tablespoons of salt to everything. I already like things salty so I had to be careful not to go overboard. It has been over a year, and I think it is finally back to what it was pre-covid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.