Sons have covid for 2nd time in 2 months

4,162 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FriendlyAg
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3yr old son got COVID (Delta) just before Thanksgiving and had 103.5 fever with cough and fatigue. 1 yr old twins had it too but no fever... Just cough and runny nose. 3 yr Son caught omicron yesterday and has 101.5 fever and fatigue. Babies have 100.4 fever and fatigue.

Wife, myself, are vaxxed and boosted and daughter is vaxxed. We didn't get it last time around despite sharing drink with infected son (I had strep at the time and assumed he had the same so I thought who cares at this point).

So for 3yr old I'd say the first go around was significant enough to have anti bodies but it seems not enough to fight off omicron. Will be interesting to see if the vaxxed portion of family get it.my guess is yes but so far we are negative
bay fan
S
Hope the little ones recover quickly and it will be interesting. None of my vaccinated friends had Covid until mid December when several were exposed and were quickly positive. It's also interesting how omicron spread can be positive in 2-3 days versus 5-7 previously.
agsalaska
AG
13 year old daughter had Delta in September and was pretty sick for eight days. Like having strep throat for a week with no antibiotics. Sucked.

She went to bed with a fever last night and feels pretty crappy this morning. My 10 year old son woke up with 101.7 fever.

Pretty sure they both have it. Joy.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
billyjack2009
Bleh. No fun having sick kiddos. Especially a virus when there's not much you can do but hope to stave off symptoms. I hope they all rebound quickly.
KidDoc
AG
The overwhelming majority of kids shrug off Omicron. Flu/RSV is much worse for them. Prior history of delta seems to help avoid severe disease but not the minor URI syndrome. Same with vaccine status.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agsalaska
AG
I am hoping it is Omicron and not the flu or RSV
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
planoaggie123
AG
Son had the flu about a month ago (pretty sure Type A...think that is what wife said).

He had high fever and was just really "sluggish". We got him Tamiflu the first night of diagnosis (night of day 1 symptoms...they came on quick) and we saw slight improvements by the end of day 2 symptoms and by day 3 he started feeling closer to normal....only had to use fever reducing / symptom reducing meds for 2 days. Not fun but thankfully it did not drag out.
agsalaska
AG
Man screw that ***** Showed up at the clinic and the line was looooonnnnggggg. No way we are waiting in that. Just came home and gave them both some more Advil. My son who was worse than my daughter already seems to be feeling better.

I am going with the 24 hour fever rule and sending them back to school.
jetch17
AG
agsalaska said:

Man screw that ***** Showed up at the clinic and the line was looooonnnnggggg. No way we are waiting in that. Just came home and gave them both some more Advil. My son who was worse than my daughter already seems to be feeling better.

This is the way. Im not waiting hours or jamming my kids nose for a regular 'down for a day' bug ... rest it off, back to school. This testing and stopping life after 2 years is insanity.
Coates
agsalaska said:

My son got it, symptoms for 6 hours then bouncing off the walls, same with nieces and nephews. It's ridiculous what we are still doing to children over this.
Capitol Ag
AG
agsalaska said:

And given Omicron is so much less severe overall this is completely fine. I understand many are hesitant to go back to pre 2020 viral mitigation protocols, but the reality is this variant is not very dangerous to the vast majority and we just cannot keep these quarantining policies forever, imo. Omicron to me is a great excuse, if you will, to start reintroducing non covid pre 2020 viral mitigation procedures moving forward, until or unless, God forbid, a much worse and dangerous variant surfaces. Seems like that usually isn't the case given the way viruses generally evolve though. Fingers crossed.

Hope the kiddos are doing well OP. Sick toddlers and little ones are never fun.
agsalaska
AG
I agree with all of that. Sitting a kid out of school 10 days for a 48 hour cold is so senseless it certainly makes you wonder.

And to clarify, I was taking him to see the doctor, not get a stick up his nose. If the doctor examined him and thought it was Omicron then great. Test for flu or strep? Great. But cant do any of that right now, at least not as a walk in.

I am going to call his regular pediatrician and set an appointment for Thursday and hope to cancel it assuming he is better.

SORRY I HIJACKED THE OP
zag213004
AG
Quick update. 3 yr old much better. No ffever . One of the 1 yr old twins had 103 fever over night but seems way better today, 2nd twin is likely getting it tonight. Wife just tested positive as well. So my daughter and I are the only negative tests.... And then there were two

For the ones that recovered, doc said to send them to ER if they get fever 6 weeks from now accompanied by stomach pain
P.U.T.U
AG
I have known a ton of kids get it this time around and its a freaking cold, mine ran a fever for 3 days and didn't eat much. Daughter has been around him the entire time and no symptoms/fever, she had Covid around this time last year. I am watching both and no symptoms for me, well it is allergy season so maybe it is a little Covid but who knows.
KidDoc
AG
Our local schools are still requiring a 10 day quarantine for positive kids. 10 days for a cold that lasts 48 hours for most of them.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jetch17
AG
KidDoc said:

Our local schools are still requiring a 10 day quarantine for positive kids. 10 days for a cold that lasts 48 hours for most of them.

aggiederelict
This what we are dealing with except exposure gets you 10 days. Daughter tested positive last week goes back to daycare tomorrow. Son tested negative and still had to sit out 10 days. My wife and I both work in healthcare and don't have family in the state. How are we supposed to provide for our families with these insane policies? My son heads back tomorrow and just waiting for another exposure.
jetch17
AG
It's time to stop telling people you've been 'exposed' and have to suffer dumb consequences like that.

If you MAY have been exposed, keep an eye on it and sit if symptoms show up. Sitting around and waiting for nothing is absolutely pointless at this point. Worrying if you're 'asymptomatic' is all for nothing unless you're spitting in the mouth of your elderly grandma, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.
RangerRick9211
AG
aggiederelict said:

This what we are dealing with except exposure gets you 10 days. Daughter tested positive last week goes back to daycare tomorrow. Son tested negative and still had to sit out 10 days. My wife and I both work in healthcare and don't have family in the state. How are we supposed to provide for our families with these insane policies? My son heads back tomorrow and just waiting for another exposure.
Our Pre-K shutdown for two weeks because a teacher tested positive and the health department mandated 10 days.

She finally went back Monday of this week with a masking requirement. I had to come back last night from work travel because the other teacher tested positive. So again, 10 day shutdown. My wife works at the hospital rest of the week; so back home working and watching the kid.

This will be 4 consecutive weeks of essentially no school for her. And in theory, there's 8 other kids in her class that could all pop at any point requiring another quarantine.
aggiederelict
When I talked to the owner of our daycare and told her if she could help us with offsetting the costs of tuition she told me her and her staff have fixed costs.

And we don't? We only get paid if we see patients. This is the same daycare that closed for 2 months and we paid them half tuition for the 5 months our son didn't go. Then they raised their tuition and I am now spending $2000/month for childcare when I won't be able to work for at least half of this month.

I tried to switch daycares but finding a place that took both of my kids wasn't an option. This is unsustainable.
P.U.T.U
AG
I wouldn't be home if it wasn't for the school policy, if a kid has a fever they should follow every other cold policy, can return 24 hours after the fever goes away
planoaggie123
AG
Early part of COVID....we paid for like 2 months of pre-k and did not attend (school was shut down). It was frustrating. They gave us same excuse re: reimburse. I get it some but the teachers are sitting at home not working.
jopatura
AG
We're dealing with the same thing at our preschool. Kiddo basically goes on Mondays now, gets exposed, then has to go home the rest of the week. At least they are only following the 5 days quarantine if they are willing to mask, which my kid is. But at this point it's happening so much like clockwork that I'm side eyeing the whole thing. There's no way in a class of 12 that parents are just missing symptoms on Monday's until the kid gets home.

We also paid for 2 months tuition in 2020, then we keep paying full price now.

At least with my public school kid, we got the close contact email on Friday. Tuesday after MLK day she had 21/21 in her class. No one cares anymore.
aggiederelict
The outcome will be the same. They will all get it in the near future. It's just delaying the inevitable. Omicron is a cold. I just got over it.
agsalaska
AG
jopatura said:

At least they are only following the 5 days quarantine if they are willing to mask, which my kid is.
Just curious, and I admittedly have rewritten this a couple of times trying to not to come off as an ass or catch a ban, but how do you justify masking your pre schooler? That is such a different approach, or mindset, than I have as a parent that I am just trying to understand it better. My approach to that situation would not be the same as yours.

Again, that is a hard question to put into words and I mean no disrespect. I think parents should have a very broad range when raising children. I just don't understand this and would like further explanation.

Thanks
jopatura
AG
agsalaska said:

jopatura said:

At least they are only following the 5 days quarantine if they are willing to mask, which my kid is.
Just curious, and I admittedly have rewritten this a couple of times trying to not to come off as an ass or catch a ban, but how do you justify masking your pre schooler? That is such a different approach, or mindset, than I have as a parent that I am just trying to understand it better. My approach to that situation would not be the same as yours.

Again, that is a hard question to put into words and I mean no disrespect. I think parents should have a very broad range when raising children. I just don't understand this and would like further explanation.

Thanks

An extra 5 days at home or have her wear a mask, which she can do. It's a private preschool, so if we push back we would just have to leave. There's no way I can find another place now and she goes to Kindergarten in the Fall. Outside of the exposure rules, she doesn't wear one normally.

Her sister has to wear one at the public schools. They wear one going to doctor's offices. They've worn them on planes. None of us wear them in extracurriculars or at the grocery store.

I'm not going to have my kid sit at home over a few days of masks if it gets her back in the classroom. I just wish it could keep her in the classroom.
agsalaska
AG
jopatura said:

agsalaska said:

jopatura said:

Thanks

An extra 5 days at home or have her wear a mask, which she can do. It's a private preschool, so if we push back we would just have to leave. There's no way I can find another place now and she goes to Kindergarten in the Fall. Outside of the exposure rules, she doesn't wear one normally.

Her sister has to wear one at the public schools. They wear one going to doctor's offices. They've worn them on planes. None of us wear them in extracurriculars or at the grocery store.

I'm not going to have my kid sit at home over a few days of masks if it gets her back in the classroom. I just wish it could keep her in the classroom.
Fair enough. So basically it is because you don't feel like you have any other options. That I can understand.

I tolerated my kids wearing masks last year, but would not do it again. Fortunately I live in a different place than you do and our school district has zero appetite for that. If we had a private daycare try to mask kids they would be out of business in a week and probably sued. And if our school district tried to mask our kids there would be a riot and complete non compliance. And they know it.

Hopefully wherever you live this kind of tolerance does not last much longer.

Thanks for the reply.
KidDoc
AG
He is following the CDC guidelines for COVID recovery and return to normal activity which is 5 days home then mask day 6-10. I wish the public schools in Aggieland were doing the same. They don't care if your kid will mask day 6-10 they still want them at home for the full 10 days.
FriendlyAg
jetch17 said:

It's time to stop telling people you've been 'exposed' and have to suffer dumb consequences like that.

If you MAY have been exposed, keep an eye on it and sit if symptoms show up. Sitting around and waiting for nothing is absolutely pointless at this point. Worrying if you're 'asymptomatic' is all for nothing unless you're spitting in the mouth of your elderly grandma, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.
Yessir!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.