How to get rid of sore throat after Omicron?

6,193 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cloud
StudAg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started being symptomatic last Sunday. Tested positive on Tuesday. I've had a sore throat for a week now. It's not unbearable, but it's not fun either. Anybody know how to get rid of the sore throat? It's the only symptom left since Thursday.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Steroids
aggiebrad94
AG
What have you done so far?
HumpitPuryear
AG
before turning to pharmaceuticals try gargling with warm salt water. Mix a teaspoon of salt in about 6oz or so of warm water and then gargle with it. It was very effective for me. Don't drink the salt water just gargle with it and spit it out.
StudAg02
AG
I gargled salt water, cough drops/lasagnes, DayQuil, Tylenol, been taking vitamins. It's not the worst it been, but it's been pretty consistently annoying. I'm ready to be done with it. Btw, thanks for any advice.
murphyag
AG
There is a tea on Amazon that is supposed to help sore throats. Brand is Yogi Tea and is the Throat Comfort tea. You might also try adding some honey to warm tea. Or just eat a spoonful or two.

Have you tried any of the sore throat sprays?
Dr. Horrible
Not omicron, but I gargled with listerine when my throat got bad after Covid and I started feeling better the next day and pretty good overall within a couple.

ETA that was after I had tried the salt water, medicated lozenges, and throat sprays that had all had minimal impact.
94chem
Have you had a strep test?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
breezecustomtravel
AG
Just got over the Omicron here and sore throat was the worst for me too.

The Throat Coat tea and Umcka Cold Care lemon hot drink mix (I get on amazon) were the only thing that helped. The sore throat was the last symptom to go away after about 7-8 days.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
aggiebrad94
AG
Gargling with Listerine seems to be your next step.

czechy91
AG
Zicam zinc rapid melt tables seem to work great for me at the onset of a sore throat. Don't swallow or chew them, instead simply let them dissolve when you are lying down and let the zinc infused saliva coat the back of your throat that's causing pain. 90% of the time my sore throat goes away without turning into a major problem Give it a try!
GeographyAg
AG
I had one sore spot on my throat that started a couple of days after I got Omicron. It was a secondary infection (I get it from time to time even before Covid because I still have my tonsils). I got on with a teledoc and got an antibiotic. That took care of it immediately.

Have you considered that it might be secondary? Have you asked for an antibiotic?

Mine really wasn't bad, and it was isolated to one spot on one tonsil, so I might not be a good comparison for you, but the antibiotic worked quickly, so it might be worth a try.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
Jak981
Tested positive. Sore throat was the worst. Coughing up junk extremely painful. Messed up sleep. Throat spray, salt water, nothing helped. The Throat Comfort tea from Yogi (Kroger) actually was the only thing that helped. Interesting point, my wife looked at my throat and said she couldn't see any red like a normal sore throat. Maybe that little bugger latches on farther down the throat. Luckily I am now on day 4. Sore throat is gone. Omicron comes on fast but for me is leaving quickly.
MavsAg
AG
Damn. I'm jealous. I'm on day six and still have a pretty rough cough and just started getting congested last night. Doing salt water, listeine, throat tea, you name it. I get temporary relief, but the cough comes back pretty much right after. Luckily I have most of my energy and I'm not stuck in bed all day.
Matsui
AG
Sucked on cough drops for a couple of days.
Matsui
AG
Every time I coughed my throat hurt bad It was the worst
AggieBucksJB
AG
I am just getting over covid, the sore throat was the worst. I had a strep test but it came back negative. Oh well back to the grind tomorrow.
P.U.T.U
AG
Strep is also going around, or if you are lucky like my brother in law you can get both at the same time.
MavsAg
AG
How long did it take you to get over it? I'm currently on day 7.
Jnsag
AG
Currently dealing with it for the 2nd day. On day five of symptoms. Feels like razor blades. Can't sleep. Called my doc and he said he had the same symptoms,…had to physically move his throat with his hands to swallow it hurt so bad. I asked if this was drainage related and he didn't think it was. I took this to mean this is another strange thing about the virus. He said advil (ibuprofen) is all he recommends. He also said he has patients that have it as much as ten days.
Matsui
AG
I had the same issue. I stopped the drainage and that helped first. Do that. Suck on lots of cough drops. Taking PM medicine to make you sleep.
Kool
AG
Every day our Academy puts out an email where ENT physicians can discuss interesting cases, bounce things off each other, complain about online COVID chat groups, etc.
This am's discussion was about a subset of patients who have tested positive for COVID, presumably with the Omicron variant, who have markedly severe throat symptoms with no obvious findings on direct exam of the throat through the mouth. A few physicians have done flexible fiberoptic endoscopies on these actively infected patients and sent in photos of the findings. Some patients get essentially an ulceration of the larynx and the epiglottis ("flapper" on top of the voice box) which is severe and extensive.
All of the physicians who saw these patients noted a very impressive improvement in their patient's symptoms with the start of oral and/or IM steroids, typically Decadron or prednisone.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sweet00
Gargle salt water.
Cloud
Add me to the sore throat list. Symptoms started and tested positive Wednesday: fever, body aches, sore throat. Fever gone yesterday and pretty much all that's left now is the sore throat. Hopefully it pisses off soon.
Jabin
What would the typical prednisone Rx look like for that? How many mg's, how often, and for how long?
AJ02
AG
Yep. Husband and I both got the bad sore throat. I even looked at my throat with a mirror thinking "maybe strep?" No white spots, no redness. Just hurt like hell.
Kool
AG
Jabin said:

What would the typical prednisone Rx look like for that? How many mg's, how often, and for how long?

The physician who took the pics and wrote it up used prednisolone 30 mg QD but I suppose a standard Medrol dose pack would be fine. He said everyone had a marked improvement after 3 days. I usually just rx prednisone as a taper since it's so cheap and ubiquitous maybe 40x3 then taper off. I don't worry excessively about tapering anything less than a week but tapering is still "the right thing to do". Mineralocorticoid to glucocorticoid ratio is going to be better with methylpred though so I'd consider the pack but tell the patient to take all of the day's pills in am with food. I find it keeps patients up at night otherwise.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thank you for the information.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Kool
AG
I'm grateful that guy posted those pictures. My office ladies would freak if I flex scoped a known COVID positive patient in the office, and paused long enough to capture images. I've done it on patients who were later found to be COVID positive and that raised enough eyebrows. The procedure frequently involves coughing and gagging. Not everyone has made a deal with The Devil as I have.
DuncanAg
AG
Kool said:

I'm grateful that guy posted those pictures. My office ladies would freak if I flex scoped a known COVID positive patient in the office, and paused long enough to capture images. I've done it on patients who were later found to be COVID positive and that raised enough eyebrows. The procedure frequently involves coughing and gagging. Not everyone has made a deal with The Devil as I have.
Like oral surgeons and dentists, you ENT types have long been building immunity to God knows what.
Jabin
Thanks. I've got some unused prednisone laying around from a previous poison ivy bout so was just wondering.
Kool
AG
DuncanAg said:

Kool said:

Like oral surgeons and dentists, you ENT types have long been building immunity to God knows what.

True. But as far as I know there's no immunity to angry women.

Several of my colleagues have been infected during all this. One of my colleague's sister died of it (ER doctor) December 2020, just before vaccines became available.
Jabin
I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you continuing to post here despite all of the crap and idiocy thrown at you. Many of your colleagues have understandably abandoned this forum, so the few that remain stand out and are greatly appreciated.

You guys are a source of valuable information and voices of reason.
DuncanAg
AG
Kool said:

DuncanAg said:

Kool said:

True. But as far as I know there's no immunity to angry women.

Several of my colleagues have been infected during all this. One of my colleague's sister died of it (ER doctor) December 2020, just before vaccines became available.
That's awful…sorry to hear that
Kool
AG
Jabin said:

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you continuing to post here despite all of the crap and idiocy thrown at you. Many of your colleagues have understandably abandoned this forum, so the few that remain stand out and are greatly appreciated.

You guys are a source of valuable information and voices of reason.

No worries thanks. I've had probably two negative things sent to me the entire time. One must have been flagged because staff took it down almost immediately. I do know of some other colleagues who have been unnecessarily beaten up here, though.

The pandemic has brought out the worst and the best in people. What a lot of people don't get is that this was a NOVEL virus and that in general our ability to treat viruses has been very limited. Due to its origin in a country that hid it from us, we got "behind the 8-ball". Compound that with an election, and you can see what it has done. Not to say that our politicians and bureaucrats did a great job of communicating strategies likely to help us get through. That's all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.