Kaiser preprint study: No one needed a vent for Omicron

2,449 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1

Quote:

Results: Our analyses included 52,297 cases with SGTF (Omicron) and 16,982 cases with non-SGTF (Delta [B.1.617.2]) infections, respectively. Hospital admissions occurred among 235 (0.5%) and 222 (1.3%) of cases with Omicron and Delta variant infections, respectively. Among cases first tested in outpatient settings, the adjusted hazard ratios for any subsequent hospital admission and symptomatic hospital admission associated with Omicron variant infection were 0.48 (0.36-0.64) and 0.47 (0.35-0.62), respectively. Rates of ICU admission and mortality after an outpatient positive test were 0.26 (0.10-0.73) and 0.09 (0.01-0.75) fold as high among cases with Omicron variant infection as compared to cases with Delta variant infection. Zero cases with Omicron variant infection received mechanical ventilation, as compared to 11 cases with Delta variant infections throughout the period of follow-up (two-sided p<0.001). Median duration of hospital stay was 3.4 (2.8-4.1) days shorter for hospitalized cases with Omicron variant infections as compared to hospitalized patients with Delta variant infections, reflecting a 69.6% (64.0-74.5%) reduction in hospital length of stay.
DadHammer
AG
Excellent!

Time to move on put this behind us!
deadbq03
AG
If I'm reading it right (and I certainly might not be), the stat before the ventilator statistic is the best news in that bunch: among patients who tested positive outside the hospital, Omicron is 4 times less likely to result in hospitalization and 10 times less likely to result in death.
Capitol Ag
AG
Captain Positivity said:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.22269045v1

Quote:

Results: Our analyses included 52,297 cases with SGTF (Omicron) and 16,982 cases with non-SGTF (Delta [B.1.617.2]) infections, respectively. Hospital admissions occurred among 235 (0.5%) and 222 (1.3%) of cases with Omicron and Delta variant infections, respectively. Among cases first tested in outpatient settings, the adjusted hazard ratios for any subsequent hospital admission and symptomatic hospital admission associated with Omicron variant infection were 0.48 (0.36-0.64) and 0.47 (0.35-0.62), respectively. Rates of ICU admission and mortality after an outpatient positive test were 0.26 (0.10-0.73) and 0.09 (0.01-0.75) fold as high among cases with Omicron variant infection as compared to cases with Delta variant infection. Zero cases with Omicron variant infection received mechanical ventilation, as compared to 11 cases with Delta variant infections throughout the period of follow-up (two-sided p<0.001). Median duration of hospital stay was 3.4 (2.8-4.1) days shorter for hospitalized cases with Omicron variant infections as compared to hospitalized patients with Delta variant infections, reflecting a 69.6% (64.0-74.5%) reduction in hospital length of stay.

User name checks out!
Aston94
AG
Great news, hopefully this will be the end of Covid as a public health concern and we can quit all the testing.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
deadbq03 said:

If I'm reading it right (and I certainly might not be), the stat before the ventilator statistic is the best news in that bunch: among patients who tested positive outside the hospital, Omicron is 4 times less likely to result in hospitalization and 10 times less likely to result in death.
i believe it's 1/2 as likely to be hospitalized, 1/4 as likely to end up in the ICU, and 1/10 as likely to die.
deadbq03
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

deadbq03 said:

i believe it's 1/2 as likely to be hospitalized, 1/4 as likely to end up in the ICU, and 1/10 as likely to die.
Thanks. I mixed up hospitalized/ICU. And I suck at nomenclature for odds.
Proposition Joe
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.