Omnicron weird taste and smell

8,662 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SWPPP Ag
BlackLab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have no smell. For taste, I can tell if something is salty, sour, spicy or sweet but it has no defining flavor. And anything salty tastes very salty.
bushytailed
AG
Yeah ketchup tastes awful for me right now.

Coffee is at least starting to taste better thank goodness.
Tom Cardy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Food tastes a lot saltier to me right now, and anything sweet is about 80% muted. It has made me ask a question I never thought I'd have to face - do I want to live in a world where I can't taste Frosted Flakes?
To be fair, frosted flakes didn't have much taste to begin with. You eat those for the crunch, sugar rush, and gum bleeding where they stab you.
SjAg
AG
Good news. Taste and smell have returned. Had my 1st beer in 3 + weeks and it was glorious.
theeyetest
Everything taste so salty to me. Literally everything I eat or drink is so damn salty tasting. Never lost taste or smell though like I did the first time I had it.
Proposition Joe
theeyetest said:

Everything taste so salty to me. Literally everything I eat or drink is so damn salty tasting. Never lost taste or smell though like I did the first time I had it.

That's where I'm still at. Sugar/sweet is 80% muted, salty is 10x amplified, everything else is about 70% muted.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Weird question: did anybody else's tongue feel like they'd burned it? Mine did for days.
Philip J Fry
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Food tastes a lot saltier to me right now, and anything sweet is about 80% muted. It has made me ask a question I never thought I'd have to face - do I want to live in a world where I can't taste Frosted Flakes?
This for me too. Made some chili on day 1 and it was interesting to see how the flavor changed over the next few days. First it was uber salty, then it became very spicy.

Sweetener in my coffee was overpowering this morning.

Don't think I've lost my sense of smell, but I do think it's diminished.
Newoldarmy
AG
Yes and up through the nose as well.

My tongue was essentially dead to me and I burned the roof of my mouth twice with potatoes during that period because my tongue didn't tell me how hot they were. I hate even writing that here because it sounds so ridiculous, but it happened.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well I'm glad to here it wasn't just me at least.
aggiemetal
AG
wife had it previous few weeks....she still had taste and smell but anything with vinegar (ketchup, mustard, obviously wing sauce, etc) smelled like bleach to her...went away a few days ago
STL_aTm
AG
I tested positive on Friday. Lost taste and smell on Sunday and its yet to come back. Sure missed out on some good food and drinks last night for the game.
Bag
AG
Proposition Joe said:

ha, reminds of the scene from the Matrix
AJ02
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Weird question: did anybody else's tongue feel like they'd burned it? Mine did for days.

Yes, me too. I never lost taste, but it was similar to how my taste buds react after I've burned my tongue. Hard to explain.
Central Committee
AG
Tested positive today. First symptoms back Tuesday evening. Tongue feels like it is tingling. Taste and smell altered but still very much intact.
Old Sarge
AG
Presuming I had Omicron since this last weekend, as that is when I tested positive, with very mild symptoms. No taste issues, but my first pinch of Cope in 5 days last night had almost no flavor. Should have made me darn near drool after 5/6 days. Thank goodness I don't chew much. All other tastes were spot on. Today, had the first beer since this weekend. It was really good, almost enhanced but I am sure that was none for almost a week. Had a cigar, and taste was spot on for that stick. Had a pinch of Cope after dinner and it was as should be.

Hopefully, that is the last sign of anything out of the norm. Jeeezzzuss, the Omicron was light and I am thankful for that, but not having regular taste and smell would be robbing of life BS.

Thank you Xi. Step on a nail, fall on a cactus on the way down, and when the fall is complete, say hi to Satan you SOB.
Green is the new RED.
OaklandAg06
AG
For those that lost your sense of smell, how long did it take to return?
jopatura
AG
It's only come back a little for me. I can smell the first whiff of something but nothing else. It's been a month. For example, if the dog is sitting in my lap and farts I can smell it but I can't smell his breath because he's been in my lap. Taste is pretty much back though.
agproducer
AG
It's strange. I can taste and smell some things. Others I can't. For example, an egg McMuffin. I can taste the hand and its saltiness, but I can't really taste the egg. I had pizza last night. I couldn't really taste or smell it much at all. I still can't get much flavor out of my coffee. It's been like that for more than two weeks
GAC06
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I lost it completely and it came back gradually over about a month. First thing I noticed I could smell was butter cooking a grilled cheese sandwich
Quincey P. Morris
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

Took a few days thankfully. Came back slowly over that time. Got a little of both back and now I'm all the way back as best I can tell.
ocling
AG
On the backend of Covid. Still congested, and my ability is taste and smell is suppressed. Have been woken up the last two mornings by a foul taste / smell from my throat. Ate spicy mustard last night to try and clear my sinuses out and didn't taste a thing. Hoping it's more driven by sinus congestion.

It's like a cross between a metallic taste and throw-up smell.
ocling
AG
AggieBiker said:

SjAg said:

Anyone been afflicted with odd tastes and smells? Tested positive on 12/24 so assuming it is Omnicron. On Monday my senses went haywire and certain foods and smells resemble metal / chemicals. It's really odd.
Started symptoms 12/29 tested positive 12/30. Felt like I was fully recovered yesterday. Never lost smell or taste. But whenever I am not eating or drinking something with flavor, I have the weird metal taste in my mouth. I woke up with it each of the last three days with it awful. All foods still taste normal but the recurring metal taste is miserable.

Any update on your symptoms? I'm about a week into similar symptoms and am going to go nuts.
Jock 07
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I had it right at a year ago. Taste/smell was the only symptom I even had that anything was wrong. Cooked a steak one night and tasted like cardboard. A few days later sweet/salty/sour returned but no flavor. Full taste didn't really come back for 3-4 months and even then still had a chemical taste with certain things, most notably coke and lemon flavored skittles. It much less frequent but even today I sometimes still get the chemical taste with coke.

I could always smell things if I held it right under my nose but at any distance it was gone. That took a month or two to come back. Still today I get the chemical smell with certain types of soaps or fragrances.
swimmerbabe11
only one specific taste/smell thing changed. Probably for the best.

I was out starting on 1/5.

However, I still get exhausted and spacey. I get lightheaded randomly with no warning and wierd pressure in my ears still. Really ready to feel like a normal human again.
Carlo4
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Sorry to hear. Wife came down with symptoms first.

Dec 19 - headaches, tired and low grade fever. Assumed flu as our son had it the week prior. Tested negative for flu and covid at urgent care. Symptoms started as soon as woke so consider Day 1

Dec 20 - Day 2. Fever increased to 102 so got rapid test and was positive. Chills, fever and headache main issues. She was miserable. N

Dec 21 to 23 - Day 3 and 4. Early morning night sweats. Fever gone (no medication) but headache (near ears) and fatigue main issues.

Dec 23 - 28 - Mild headaches and mild fatigue and mild head congestion.

Dec 29 to today - All symptoms largely gone.

For rest of family, kids had coughs and very low grade fever at max symptoms. I had low grade fever 2 days and my biggest annoyance was lightheaded which freaked me out but pulse ox was always good (over 97).

We only isolated wife a bit the first 3 days when symptoms were worst. After that we were all living normal and hanging out on couch etc. I don't believe much in isolation unless strong symptoms as I am a big believer in positive attitudes and keeping a strong routine no matter how I feel.

This is mostly mimicking my experience. Felt same things on day 1. Woke up day 2 with 103 fever. Went to the doctor stating it's the flu and it was really Covid.

Day 4 - fever finally broke. Slept 20 of the last 30 hours. I still have fatigue and sinus congestion, but finally feeling like a human being. .my oxygen dipped to 95 but back to 98 now.

Isolated from my 8 month pregnant wife since Monday. She's negative thankfully. Going to stay in isolation until symptoms reside.
OaklandAg06
AG
2 Weekish update- pretty much back to normal, although first workout back this last Monday had me thinking I was going to die. Cardio has improved with each workout this week though.

Sense of smell is slowly coming back- still pretty muted but can now at least pick up on some smells.
cc_ag92
AG
AJ02 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Yes, me too. I never lost taste, but it was similar to how my taste buds react after I've burned my tongue. Hard to explain.
My sister had this same symptom. She had a mild headache and slight congestion, but her tongue felt like she had burned it. Oddly, the position on her tongue kept changing.

She also briefly smelled something burning when nothing was.

AggieBiker
AG
ocling said:

AggieBiker said:

SjAg said:

Anyone been afflicted with odd tastes and smells? Tested positive on 12/24 so assuming it is Omnicron. On Monday my senses went haywire and certain foods and smells resemble metal / chemicals. It's really odd.
Started symptoms 12/29 tested positive 12/30. Felt like I was fully recovered yesterday. Never lost smell or taste. But whenever I am not eating or drinking something with flavor, I have the weird metal taste in my mouth. I woke up with it each of the last three days with it awful. All foods still taste normal but the recurring metal taste is miserable.

Any update on your symptoms? I'm about a week into similar symptoms and am going to go nuts.
The strange taste sensation went away earlier each day for a couple of days then went away altogether in another day or two. All other symptoms remained absent and I've felt fine ever since my posting. Wife never developed any symptoms or tested positive. Thanks for asking.
aggielostinETX
AG
I lost most of my taste and smell with OG Covid.

I had Omi Covid in early January and never lost smell or taste. After recovering, my smell has come back stronger, almost back to normal.
SWPPP Ag
Search Parosmia for the weird taste phenomenon. There are large "support" groups on FB discussing it. Had it for ~8 months. At first I thought the food I was eating was bad/off. Slowly searched and found others too with it. Strong tasting foods like garlic/onions were the worst offenders. Also strong smells (gasoline, feces, etc). Feel like I'm fully recovered at this point
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.