Omnicron weird taste and smell

8,702 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SWPPP Ag
SjAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been afflicted with odd tastes and smells? Tested positive on 12/24 so assuming it is Omnicron. On Monday my senses went haywire and certain foods and smells resemble metal / chemicals. It's really odd.
34blast
End of day 4, taste and smell seem normal
planoaggie123
AG
My family got it the week of Christmas. We didn't come close to distancing. No doubt we all had it. Only wife actually tested positive as she had the first and worst symptoms.

No issues with taste or smell.

Nobody vaccinated and I had some antibodies so apparently had a prior asymptomatic case.
Tom Cardy
AG
Seems like omicron doesn't affect taste/smell as much, delta is still circulating to some small degree and is more likely to affect those senses
jopatura
AG
I didn't lose taste and smell until day 5. Taste has started to come back a little. I grabbed my husband's Pepsi today by accident and I could tell it was a Pepsi, not a Diet Coke. That's the biggest taste difference I've had in a week. Smell is still pretty much non-existent.
agproducer
AG
jopatura said:

I didn't lose taste and smell until day 5. Taste has started to come back a little.

I'm on Day 5 and just lost taste and smell this morning. How many days until it started to come back for you?
jopatura
AG
agproducer said:

jopatura said:

I didn't lose taste and smell until day 5. Taste has started to come back a little.

I'm on Day 5 and just lost taste and smell this morning. How many days until it started to come back for you?

It's Day 12 now. Taste is trying to come back, absolutely nothing on smell yet. My nose also burns from the inside when I try to smell something strong that I know is out there. So maybe nerve damage? I'm not sure.
34blast
I appreciate everyone sharing their stories. Maybe we should have a master thread on it for day by day symptoms. Since I'm isolating upstairs, I enjoy the reading.
bushytailed
AG
I'm on day nine. No loss of smell/taste; however, my sense of taste has been altered this entire time. Two days ago it worsened.

Now even my coffee tastes bad and I am not happy about it not being able to enjoy my morning cup.
agproducer
AG
bushytailed said:

I'm on day nine. No loss of smell/taste; however, my sense of taste has been altered this entire time. Two days ago it worsened.

Now even my coffee tastes bad and I am not happy about it not being able to enjoy my morning cup.

I couldn't taste or smell my coffee this morning. It is really messed up! My wife asked me, "If you can't smell or taste it, why drink it?" I just kept sipping.
planoaggie123
AG
Sorry to hear. Wife came down with symptoms first.

Dec 19 - headaches, tired and low grade fever. Assumed flu as our son had it the week prior. Tested negative for flu and covid at urgent care. Symptoms started as soon as woke so consider Day 1

Dec 20 - Day 2. Fever increased to 102 so got rapid test and was positive. Chills, fever and headache main issues. She was miserable. N

Dec 21 to 23 - Day 3 and 4. Early morning night sweats. Fever gone (no medication) but headache (near ears) and fatigue main issues.

Dec 23 - 28 - Mild headaches and mild fatigue and mild head congestion.

Dec 29 to today - All symptoms largely gone.

For rest of family, kids had coughs and very low grade fever at max symptoms. I had low grade fever 2 days and my biggest annoyance was lightheaded which freaked me out but pulse ox was always good (over 97).

We only isolated wife a bit the first 3 days when symptoms were worst. After that we were all living normal and hanging out on couch etc. I don't believe much in isolation unless strong symptoms as I am a big believer in positive attitudes and keeping a strong routine no matter how I feel.
Newoldarmy
AG
Because caffeine!

I distinctly remember realizing when I could smell again after having no taste or smell for a couple of weeks.

I was filling up my pickup and the old sweet, familiar smell of gasoline flooded into my nostrils.
lobopride
A friend of mine had Delta and said that everything smelled/tasted like a bad fart. He couldn't even brush his teeth.
RoyVal
AG
I had covid summer of 2020 and everything smelled burnt to me. Accused my daughter of smoking cigarettes and she got super offended LOL. Also for a few months, yes months, everything tasted extremely salty to me! even sweet stuff. that was the worst!
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I had covid summer of 2020 and everything smelled burnt to me. Accused my daughter of smoking cigarettes and she got super offended LOL. Also for a few months, yes months, everything tasted extremely salty to me! even sweet stuff. that was the worst!
This happened to a co-worker of mine. She said she smelled burning cigarettes for months after recovering.
WoMD
SjAg said:

Anyone been afflicted with odd tastes and smells? Tested positive on 12/24 so assuming it is Omnicron. On Monday my senses went haywire and certain foods and smells resemble metal / chemicals. It's really odd.

I got delta in august and lost taste and smell of some things (coffee and beer, amongst others), but retained normal smell of other things, which were mostly sweet items. When the missing smells returned a few weeks later, they came back as a horrible horrible chemically smell, possibly similar to what you're experiencing. Taste came back ok, but so many things smell horrific now. Coffee, bacon, rotisserie chicken, and many other things are terrible. Unfortunately, because meals are prepped with many different ingredients most of my meals smell terrible now, with no real improvement thus far. I've gotten used to it by now though. It's very odd, and I'm not sure what it is specifically that's setting off the smell, since it's the same smell with all these items. At least beer tastes normal nowā€¦

On a positive, **** and abscesses/infection, etc smell like nothing at this point for some reason, which helps at work a bit.

Another negative is I don't know what smells I'm still missing. Which can be concerning, since I lost the smell of natural gas when I had covid, and don't know if that's returned or not.
WoMD
bushytailed said:

That's the worst part for me too. Nothing used to beat the smell of coffee first thing in the morning. Now I deal with it smelling like ass.
KlinkerAg11
AG
I got delta in august/September and three weeks ago I started tasting beer and bread again.

Really messed up yeast for me.
LSB_2002
AG
WoMD said:

bushytailed said:

That's the worst part for me too. Nothing used to beat the smell of coffee first thing in the morning. Now I deal with it smelling like ass.
Same! Been dealing with it for 8 months! Fun stuff. Parosmia.....go look it up! It's real....me, my wife and 14 year old daughter all have it.
34blast
End of day 5, feel back to normal mostly, a bit of fatigue, but notice diet pepsi and food taste a bit strange. Taste and smell are there, but sensitive to salt. I normally am a salt aholic
agproducer
AG
Doesn't Diet Pepsi usually taste strange?
DadHammer
AG
lobopride said:

A friend of mine had Delta and said that everything smelled/tasted like a bad fart. He couldn't even brush his teeth.
If he wasn't brushing his teeth, it was probably his breathe!
DadHammer
AG
Business partner just got over Covid. No loss of taste or smell.
AggieZUUL
AG
the air smelled like pickle juice and WD40. first couple days i was fatigued but got back to around 95% after 5 days.
Dad
AG
SjAg said:

Dr on Joe Rogan podcast put out today said delta is still a big percentage of the cases and he said if you have more of the classic covid symptoms you probably have delta.
texican08
AG
Anyone have amplified taste and smell? Salt is overpowering and I can smell things from across the room like It's under my nose. Maybe I'm like Spider-Man nowā€¦
Charpie
AG
I was like that when I was pregnant
34blast
texican08 said:

Anyone have amplified taste and smell? Salt is overpowering and I can smell things from across the room like It's under my nose. Maybe I'm like Spider-Man nowā€¦
me too, day 6
AggieBiker
AG
SjAg said:

Started symptoms 12/29 tested positive 12/30. Felt like I was fully recovered yesterday. Never lost smell or taste. But whenever I am not eating or drinking something with flavor, I have the weird metal taste in my mouth. I woke up with it each of the last three days with it awful. All foods still taste normal but the recurring metal taste is miserable.
SjAg
AG
Tested positive 12/23 & still have muted taste and smell and certain things are that harsh metal / chemical smell. Noticed certain items (such as a jar of jalapeƱos or ketchup) really trigger it. Want it to go away.
AggieBiker
AG
No food increases mine. It just serves to mask it basically until I swallow. Hopefully it goes away for us both soon.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Lost taste and smell after a day or sowhich was all that differentiated it from a runny nose because it got cold.

My sister in law was fine when she got it but has since dealt with food tasting like garbage. She's on some Facebook group that has food suggestions to try.
crowman2010
AG
SjAg said:

Ever since I recovered from COVID in July, this has been the case for myself and my wife.

Peppermint smells like sulfur... :-(
Proposition Joe
What does sulfur smell like?
Proposition Joe
Food tastes a lot saltier to me right now, and anything sweet is about 80% muted. It has made me ask a question I never thought I'd have to face - do I want to live in a world where I can't taste Frosted Flakes?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.