Supplies of Monoclonal Antibodies in Texas are Gone

11,470 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bullard21k
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This article says as of May GSK and Vir were planning on manufacturing 2 million doses in a year, but trying to figure out ways to make more.

Quote:

"I don't feel good that the competition got knocked out, frankly, because we're talking about lifesaving treatments," Scangos said. In the first year following the drug's authorization in May, Vir and GlaxoSmithKline had planned to manufacture 2 million treatments, but the companies are trying to find ways to increase manufacturing capacity.

The government moved to conserve sotrovimab when early analysis of omicron's mutations suggested the drug might hold up against the variant, Kessler said. A growing number of studies have bolstered confidence that it will still work. But the supply is limited, with about 50,000 total doses on hand an inventory expected to grow to about 350,000 by early January, according to Kessler. The U.S. government distributed 180,000 doses to states before the pause in late November. The distribution data does not report which doses have been used.
It seems like you want it to be better. I'm sure GSK and Vir want to be able to make more too. There is essentially a time-bound profit opportunity here, in raw terms. I don't think the bottleneck is lack of funding or effort. It seems manufacturing monoclonal antibodies is an expensive and long process.

I mean who is this "we" you keep talking about? The USG - "we" - wrote a blank check. What else can be done by "us"?
DannyDuberstein
AG
So about that reason for not using monoclonals due to ill fit with omicron, the CDC has now significantly reduced its estimate of omicron prevalence. They are now saying last week it made up 22% of cases, not 75%. And predicting 58% for this week

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/omicron-estimated-be-586-coronavirus-variants-us-cdc-2021-12-28/

So why are we withholding again?
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you for mentioning this. I saw it too. So much lack of communication and confusion after two years of this crap.

The deciders don't know which variant an individual has, and now the CDC has screwed up yet again, this time in its estimates, and people who might have been helped by Regeneron are not going to get it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Disappointing for sure. And some people think the treatment approach is not a disjointed cluster
Zobel
AG
Most of medicine is a disjointed cluster. Half the drugs we have we don't know why they work. The other half only sorta works but we think it's better than nothing. 90%+ of the drugs that go to phase I trial never make it to approval - and they all start as promising or they wouldn't get that far.

COVID is just all the normal confusion happening in real time in the public consciousness.
KidDoc
AG
Zobel said:

Most of medicine is a disjointed cluster. Half the drugs we have we don't know why they work. The other half only sorta works but we think it's better than nothing. COVID is just all the normal confusion happening in real time in the public consciousness.

Truth! Medical science is messy and complex.

I know in Aggieland the health department is saying 90% Omicron. I think most of the delta is up north where they didn't have the August delta wave like Texas and Florida.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Or they are simply parroting the 90% that the CDC was saying late last week. CDC had the south including Texas that high. Said the same about the northeast. But then today they backed way off
Old Tom Morris
Can't help but notice the new thread of a recent positive whose stats are dropping with people recommending a treatment he can no longer get and docs arguing about whether another medication works or not. 2 years and here we are
cc_ag92
AG
I wish that all illnesses were cured within two years of discovery, but here we are, still developing treatments for cancer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He said treatment, not cure.
cc_ag92
AG
He did say that. We have treatments for Covid, but not cures, I suppose. Much like cancer, right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well, we don't have the one that was actually working because 90%, wait no, 22%, of people have omicron
DannyDuberstein
AG
Btw, related to these shipments that are being withheld, I assume that will end up being held until future disposal? It seems that it has been produced and I've seen nothing about it being redirected. CDC doesn't get to >90% nationally without assuming everywhere was high omicron. Mathematically impossible
Muy
AG
Step 1 - Get Omicron

Step 2 - Get thru it easily

Step 3 - Profit
KidDoc
AG
Good news today from TMA!

https://www.texmed.org/TexasMedicineDetail.aspx?id=58422&utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=TMT&_zs=V8odA1&_zl=FFCa6
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cc_ag92
AG
Thanks for this link! I just found some Paxlovid for my sister in Fort Worth. We were getting really discouraged.
Aries
We have had zero issues getting any of the monoclonal antibodies.

We got the Evusheld without even asking & even already got a second shipment.
cc_ag92
AG
Who is "we"? Where are you?
Mark Fairchild
AG
I know Odessa has it, but the restrictions are many and the wait loooong.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
CDub06
AG
A close family friend in Corpus was sent up to San Antonio for the treatment. They said it was no problem with the doctors orders
Aries
We is my work. A cancer clinic.
cc_ag92
AG
Where is this? In Texas? Some people could use helpful information.
bullard21k
AG
Anybody in or around Houston know of some places that we can try to call to see if have the monoclonal infusions?

Dr called in orders for mom through Methodist but they are still all out of supplies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.