Omicron - intentional exposure?

5,952 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
Fireman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Omicron is confirmed to be a mild variant, would we / should we consider trying to expose everyone to this strain of the virus, not unlike chickenpox of my youth?
Fido04
AG
They use a vaccine for chicken pox now. That would be preferred to the actual virus exposure.
-------------------------------------------------------
God sent, hell bent, aggie through and through....
West Point Aggie
AG
Or continue to live as you were before hearing the rarely mentioned Greek letter!
sleepybeagle
AG
Fireman said:

If Omicron is confirmed to be a mild variant, would we / should we consider trying to expose everyone to this strain of the virus, not unlike chickenpox of my youth?
Yes
Fireman
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Or continue to live as you were before hearing the rarely mentioned Greek letter!

Don't you worry - been living my life back to normal as much as absolutely possible since May 2020. Like many, tired of this ****, and if a weak strain can help everyone reach natural immunity, end Forum 84, and help others get back to life as normal, count me in and LFG.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Fido04 said:

They use a vaccine for chicken pox now. That would be preferred to the actual virus exposure.

Pretty sure this is because of shingles
Nitro Power
AG
Fido04 said:

If they worked, sure
West Point Aggie
AG
Fireman said:

West Point Aggie said:

Don't you worry - been living my life back to normal as much as absolutely possible since May 2020. Like many, tired of this ****, and if a weak strain can help everyone reach natural immunity, end Forum 84, and help others get back to life as normal, count me in and LFG.

May 1 i remember going to a restaurant at the Pearl in SA and while it was still a bit draconian, it felt like much of the BS had fallen by the way side. Of course, not the case in many parts of the US.
KidDoc
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Fido04 said:

Not really as it took decades to prove it decreased shingles rate. It is mostly due to several pediatric deaths from rapidly progressive group A strep secondary infection through the pox lesions. And the vaccine is really safe and pretty effective (~80%).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redcrayon
AG
KidDoc said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

Fido04 said:

Not really as it took decades to prove it decreased shingles rate. It is mostly due to several pediatric deaths from rapidly progressive group A strep secondary infection through the pox lesions. And the vaccine is really safe and pretty effective (~80%).
There were also economic reasons. Parents missing work for days until kids could go back to school.
bay fan
S
That was a huge impact, particularly to women.
YouBet
AG
Omicron is also much less severe than the chicken pox from what we know right now so we can probably end the chicken pox comparison.

If Omicron turns out to be as mild as it is currently showing then we should absolutely let it burn through the population so we can all move on. Hopefully, it does anyway.
HumpitPuryear
AG
YouBet said:

Omicron is also much less severe than the chicken pox from what we know right now so we can probably end the chicken pox comparison.

If Omicron turns out to be as mild as it is currently showing then we should absolutely let it burn through the population so we can all move on. Hopefully, it does anyway.
It will because, despite the false advertising last year, the vaccines don't stop spread or result in herd immunity. Everyone is going to get covid eventually. Just hope it's a mild variant.
Fireman
AG
Any docs want to weigh in on the OP?

Looks like the health minister in Germany believes Omicron is a "dirty vaccination" which makes no since to me. Why would a vaccine be better than contracting Omicron and then having natural immunity from our immune system?

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-needs-jabs-not-omicrons-dirty-vaccination-health-minister/a-60366926
Jabin
Fireman said:

Looks like the health minister in Germany believes Omicron is a "dirty vaccination" which makes no since to me. Why would a vaccine be better than contracting Omicron and then having natural immunity from our immune system?

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-needs-jabs-not-omicrons-dirty-vaccination-health-minister/a-60366926
I'm not a doc and don't know for sure, but some docs I do follow have said that one disadvantage of purposefully contracting Omicron is that we still do not know what the long term impacts of Covid may be.

The same may also be true of the vaccines, although many much more knowledgeable than me say that long term impacts are unlikely given how briefly the vaccine remains in one's body. But who knows for sure?

Finally, "natural immunity" may not exist. For example, Omicron seems to be ignoring natural immunity acquired from infection by the Alpha and Delta variants.
Dad
AG
Jabin said:

Fireman said:

I'm not a doc and don't know for sure, but some docs I do follow have said that one disadvantage of purposefully contracting Omicron is that we still do not know what the long term impacts of Covid may be.

The same may also be true of the vaccines, although many much more knowledgeable than me say that long term impacts are unlikely given how briefly the vaccine remains in one's body. But who knows for sure?

Finally, "natural immunity" may not exist. For example, Omicron seems to be ignoring natural immunity acquired from infection by the Alpha and Delta variants.
Vaccine immunity definitely doesn't exist. A large percentage of the vaccinated people I know have caught the virus in the last month while I've seen very few people get it for a second time.
WoMD
Dad said:

Jabin said:

Fireman said:

Vaccine immunity definitely doesn't exist. A large percentage of the vaccinated people I know have caught the virus in the last month while I've seen very few people get it for a second time.

Exactly. Of all the unknowns, this point is a definitive known. But hey, let's double down on it and mandate harder. Because, ya know, the evil non vaxxed are the key to return to normal and to blame for it not working.
WoMD
I've had delta and am hoping I just got over omicron (I had a 2 day cold). Was almost curious enough to test, but figured that would be stupid. About to start a job in a hospital in California, so proving that exposure could've been useful since I haven't gotten the vaccine, but there's really no point. The employees at that clinic aren't as insane as other parts of the state, and don't care i made the educated and informed choice I have made. Which is required for me to accept that job to begin with. I won't work in a hospital that requires vaccination.
Jabin
Quote:

I'm not sure that's correct. Wouldn't it be more correct to say that the vaccines are not as effective against Omicron, but their efficacy isn't zero? And, even if one does get infected after vaccination, the vax's seem to reduce the severity of the infection, thus hopefully also reducing any possible long term complications from Omicron.

From the data I've been seeing there is growing evidence of increasing people being reinfected by Omicron. Shoot, there are multiple testimonies to that on TexAgs.

And my post wasn't about vaccine effectiveness. It was in response to the query about the wisdom of intentionally getting infected by Omicron and Omicron being a "dirty" vaccination.
FlyRod
Seems maybe we should respect the freedom/personal liberty of people to decide whether they want to catch a disease we are still learning about (and it's long term effects) rather than decide for them.
Jabin
FlyRod said:

Seems maybe we should respect the freedom/personal liberty of people to decide whether they want to catch a disease we are still learning about (and it's long term effects) rather than decide for them.
Who's deciding for them?

We're just having a discussion here about whether it's smart or dumb to run out and try to catch Omicron.
AgBandsman
AG
Fido04 said:

Is that so the vaccinated (chicken pox) can get shingles later in life?
AgBandsman
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

I'm not sure that's correct. Wouldn't it be more correct to say that the vaccines are not as effective against Omicron, but their efficacy isn't zero? And, even if one does get infected after vaccination, the vax's seem to reduce the severity of the infection, thus hopefully also reducing any possible long term complications from Omicron.

From the data I've been seeing there is growing evidence of increasing people being reinfected by Omicron. Shoot, there are multiple testimonies to that on TexAgs.

And my post wasn't about vaccine effectiveness. It was in response to the query about the wisdom of intentionally getting infected by Omicron and Omicron being a "dirty" vaccination.

I've seen data that actually suggests the vaccinated are more likely to catch Omicron than the unvaccinated.

Also, Omicron is probably going to be like a bad cold. I don't think any herd immunity will develop from Omicron like the previous variants.
DadHammer
AG
Omicron is showing a strong immunity to Delta and then probably others.

I think it's going to end Covid. Covid is just another cold going forward. Its Over.
Jabin
DadHammer said:

Omicron is showing a strong immunity to Delta and then probably others.

I think it's going to end Covid. Covid is just another cold going forward. Its Over.
I hope you're right but that's about the 3rd or 4th time people have been pronouncing that "Its over" during the course of this virus.
FlyRod
Jabin said:

FlyRod said:

Who's deciding for them?

We're just having a discussion here about whether it's smart or dumb to run out and try to catch Omicron.

That's not what I read in the OP, reposted below:

Quote:

would we / should we consider trying to expose everyone to this strain of the virus,

Did not see "Should we consider all just trying to get the virus?"

My apologies if I misread and was being overly pedantic.
Jabin
You're right and I was wrong. My apologies.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Fireman said:

West Point Aggie said:

A Whoop to that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.