Hospitals are understaffed. Give the ones there credit.

4,037 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nasreddin
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been in the Hospital at Seton Kyle since Wed from surgery and complications from it. There is not many staff but they are professional and courteous. My wife has stayed here every night and eats for free.

Over 6 Covid patients have passed away since we have been here.

Shake a nurses, doctor, housekeeping, food service members hand. They are on the line
redsquirrelAG
AG
For the record everyone in the world is understaffed.
billyjack2009
My sister in law does respiratory therapy at a hospital in The Woodlands. It has been brutal. Thanks for consciously being aware of the toll this has taken on them yet they continue to show up and take care of patients and families.

And very sorry to hear you've had complications. I hope things get back on track quickly.

Squirrel, thanks for that contribution.
GeographyAg
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

What does this mean?

Do you not believe that covid infections are prevalent across the world?

The definition of "pandemic" is that the disease "is prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world; epidemic over a large area."

Do you not believe reports from all over the world that the disease is around and has killed people?

Do you not believe the Aggies that have posted here who say they've gotten sick?

Do you not believe that Covid exists at all?

I've lost three family members and several other acquaintances to this disease, so I can assure you, Covid is real.

Like any disease, some people get it a worse case than other people.

I'm curious what an actual "pandemic" would look like to you?

If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
HarryJ33tamu
GeographyAg said:

Diet Cokehead said:

What does this mean?

The definition of "pandemic" is that the disease "is prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world; epidemic over a large area."

Do you not believe reports from all over the world that the disease is around and has killed people?

Do you not believe the Aggies that have posted here who say they've gotten sick?

I've lost three family members and several other acquaintances to this disease, so I can assure you, Covid is real.

Covid is real. But it's obviously not that bad if hospitals are willing to be understaffed because employees won't forcefully take a vaccine that doesn't stop transmission. Two things that make it very obvious this isn't an absolute crisis:

1. Illegal immigrants flowing into our country (encouraged by this entire administration) at the southern border and being shipped to cities by our federal govt with no covid test and no vaccine.

2. Hospitals firing nurses and doctors for not taking the vaccine.

Until these are stopped, a lot of people see this for what this is. A complete power grab.
GeographyAg
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

GeographyAg said:

Diet Cokehead said:

What does this mean?

Covid is real. But it's obviously not that bad if hospitals are willing to be understaffed because employees won't forcefully take a vaccine that doesn't stop transmission. Two things that make it very obvious this isn't an absolute crisis:

1. Illegal immigrants flowing into our country (encouraged by this entire administration) at the southern border and being shipped to cities by our federal govt with no covid test and no vaccine.

2. Hospitals firing nurses and doctors for not taking the vaccine.

Until these are stopped, a lot of people see this for what this is. A complete power grab.
1. So you admit that the meme is basically a stupid lie.

2. The vaccine slows transmission (proven) and they must believe that if enough staff is vaccinated then transmission could be stopped. The hospitals are in business to make money, so I assume they have calculated the cost and are doing what they need to do to mitigate their costs. It doesn't prove to me that it isn't a crisis.

3. Doctors and Nurses are required to get ALL KINDS of vaccines. This is not new.

4. I 100% agree that illegal immigration needs to be stopped immediately and that the federal government is failing on that completely, and that covid is being spread by said illegals. That is a discussion for the politics forum, however. This forum is trying to deal with covid, a very real disease, and a very REAL crisis. Stupid memes used as a GOTCHA is what f16 is all about. It doesn't, IMHO, fit here.
cc_ag92
AG
The number of employees who have chosen to lose their jobs rather than take the vaccine is a very small percentage of medical employees across the nation. I spent time looking into this because the way many of y'all speak of this makes it sound like hospital resources being stretched thin is the result of mass firings. This doesn't look likely. https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals/how-many-employees-have-hospitals-lost-to-vaccine-mandates-numbers-so-far

Houston Methodist, the first to announce a vaccine mandate, said it had 153 resignations or terminations among its roughly 26,000-person workforce.
Indiana University Health had 125 of its 35,800 employees resign from their jobs due to the vaccine requirement. A spokesperson told Fierce Healthcare on Sept. 23 that many were part-time workers and that the departures were the equivalent of 61 full-time employees. .
Lewis County Health System said it has seen 30 resignations as of Sept. 11 in the wake of announcing its vaccine mandate and as a result has been forced to pause maternal health services. At that time, 165 of the provider's unvaccinated staff had not yet indicated whether they would comply or leave the single-hospital system. Lewis County Health System employs about 650 people and will see its mandate go into effect Sept. 27.
MaineHealth representative Caroline Cornish told Fierce Healthcare that 58 out of its team of 23,000 had resigned and cited the vaccination requirement among their reasons, as of Sept. 24.
Med Center Health said it had fired 180 employees from its workforce of roughly 3,800 who had not been vaccinated by Sept. 1. It also highlighted the hiring of 178 vaccinated employees who would begin within a week of the firings.
Medical University of South Carolina Health fired five employees who had not met its June 30 vaccination or exemption deadline. It employs more than 17,000 people.
Northern Light Health representative Karen Cashman told Fierce Healthcare that, as of Sept. 24, 89 employees had left the system due to its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. As of a Sept. 15 news conference, 91% of the system's more than 12,000 employees had been vaccinated.
Novant Health said Sept. 21 that it has suspended about 375 of its more than 35,000 employees due to vaccination noncompliance. They have five more days to become compliant or face termination.
Olean General Hospital said it had seen 11 resignations ahead of New York's Sept. 27 deadline for a first dose. As of Sept. 14, more than 250 of its 840 employees had not been vaccinated.
RWJBarnabas Health announced back in July that it had fired six employees at the supervisor level who had not complied with a requirement for upper staff to be vaccinated by June 30. The remaining 2,979 supervisors were vaccinated or received exemptions.
St. Claire Regional Medical Center said it had fired 23 staff who had refused vaccination. A spokesperson reportedly said these employees were a combination of full-time, part-time and pro re nata employees and represented "less than 1%" of its total workforce.
Tidelands Health had just a single employee out of 2,010 who did not comply with its mandate and chose to resign.
UNC Health has already seen 60 of its roughly 30,000 workers resign over a COVID-19 vaccination mandate originally scheduled for Sept. 21 but now delayed to Nov. 2. More than 1,000 who are still unvaccinated are on probation until the new cutoff.
Valley Health has terminated 72 workers who were unvaccinated by its Sept. 21 final deadline. It employs 6,300 staff.
TXAggie2011
AG
Hospital staff can't work at the hospital if they get covid. Certainly can't do it if they get sick from Covid. Lose some to keep the rest working as much as possible.

And yeah, I imagine hospitals have lost a heck of a lot more staff to burn out than vaccine mandates.
hbtheduce
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Hospital staff can't work at the hospital if they get covid. Certainly can't do it if they get sick from Covid. Lose some to keep the rest working as much as possible.

And yeah, I imagine hospitals have lost a heck of a lot more staff to burn out than vaccine mandates.

They can't work for 10-14 days while they have covid. Even vaccinated, they can still have a breakthrough case.

Even if you fire 2% of your workforce, do you think that will increase or decrease burnout?
01agtx
AG
cc_ag92 said:

The number of employees who have chosen to lose their jobs rather than take the vaccine is a very small percentage of medical employees across the nation. I spent time looking into this because the way many of y'all speak of this makes it sound like hospital resources being stretched thin is the result of mass firings. This doesn't look likely. https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals/how-many-employees-have-hospitals-lost-to-vaccine-mandates-numbers-so-far

Houston Methodist, the first to announce a vaccine mandate, said it had 153 resignations or terminations among its roughly 26,000-person workforce.
Indiana University Health had 125 of its 35,800 employees resign from their jobs due to the vaccine requirement. A spokesperson told Fierce Healthcare on Sept. 23 that many were part-time workers and that the departures were the equivalent of 61 full-time employees. .
Lewis County Health System said it has seen 30 resignations as of Sept. 11 in the wake of announcing its vaccine mandate and as a result has been forced to pause maternal health services. At that time, 165 of the provider's unvaccinated staff had not yet indicated whether they would comply or leave the single-hospital system. Lewis County Health System employs about 650 people and will see its mandate go into effect Sept. 27.
MaineHealth representative Caroline Cornish told Fierce Healthcare that 58 out of its team of 23,000 had resigned and cited the vaccination requirement among their reasons, as of Sept. 24.
Med Center Health said it had fired 180 employees from its workforce of roughly 3,800 who had not been vaccinated by Sept. 1. It also highlighted the hiring of 178 vaccinated employees who would begin within a week of the firings.
Medical University of South Carolina Health fired five employees who had not met its June 30 vaccination or exemption deadline. It employs more than 17,000 people.
Northern Light Health representative Karen Cashman told Fierce Healthcare that, as of Sept. 24, 89 employees had left the system due to its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. As of a Sept. 15 news conference, 91% of the system's more than 12,000 employees had been vaccinated.
Novant Health said Sept. 21 that it has suspended about 375 of its more than 35,000 employees due to vaccination noncompliance. They have five more days to become compliant or face termination.
Olean General Hospital said it had seen 11 resignations ahead of New York's Sept. 27 deadline for a first dose. As of Sept. 14, more than 250 of its 840 employees had not been vaccinated.
RWJBarnabas Health announced back in July that it had fired six employees at the supervisor level who had not complied with a requirement for upper staff to be vaccinated by June 30. The remaining 2,979 supervisors were vaccinated or received exemptions.
St. Claire Regional Medical Center said it had fired 23 staff who had refused vaccination. A spokesperson reportedly said these employees were a combination of full-time, part-time and pro re nata employees and represented "less than 1%" of its total workforce.
Tidelands Health had just a single employee out of 2,010 who did not comply with its mandate and chose to resign.
UNC Health has already seen 60 of its roughly 30,000 workers resign over a COVID-19 vaccination mandate originally scheduled for Sept. 21 but now delayed to Nov. 2. More than 1,000 who are still unvaccinated are on probation until the new cutoff.
Valley Health has terminated 72 workers who were unvaccinated by its Sept. 21 final deadline. It employs 6,300 staff.

ICU nurse here. Losing even a couple nurses from our unit makes a difference.
cc_ag92
AG
First, I truly thank you for what you do.

Second, based on the percentages that can be calculated from the data quoted, it would be very statistically unlikely for your ICU to lose a couple of nurses to vaccine mandates, Has your experience been different?
01agtx
AG
cc_ag92 said:

First, I truly thank you for what you do.

Second, based on the percentages that can be calculated from the data quoted, it would be very statistically unlikely for your ICU to lose a couple of nurses to vaccine mandates, Has your experience been different?

Why would you think it was statistically unlikely? My hospital is granting exemptions.
cc_ag92
AG
Houston Methodist lost .5% of their workforce.
Indiana University lost .34%
Lewis County lost 4%
Maine Health lost .25%

To lose a couple based on most of those percentages would mean that you have 100s of nurses who work in the ICU and also assumes that every person each of these hospitals lost was an ICU nurse.

I honestly could be wrong because I don't pretend to be an expert on ICU staffing, but I don't think most hospitals employ 100s of nurses for the ICU.

I'm not saying that I support mandates, but I do think the mandates are being overplayed as a reason for understaffed hospitals.

Honestly, if someone has data that says something different, I'd be happy to read it.
Old Buffalo
AG
.34%.... .25%...

Are you posting loss rate of employees or the iFR of Covid?
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
River Bass
Are hospitals allowing employees with natural (recovered) immunity to forgo the vaccine and keep working?
01agtx
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Lewis County lost 4%
Maine Health lost .25%

To lose a couple based on most of those percentages would mean that you have 100s of nurses who work in the ICU and also assumes that every person each of these hospitals lost was an ICU nurse.

I honestly could be wrong because I don't pretend to be an expert on ICU staffing, but I don't think most hospitals employ 100s of nurses for the ICU.

I'm not saying that I support mandates, but I do think the mandates are being overplayed as a reason for understaffed hospitals.

Honestly, if someone has data that says something different, I'd be happy to read it.

Treating people as numbers is where we are failing. These percentages mean nothing really. Not all hospital workers are the same…nurse, doctors, techs, unit secretaries…good ones are hard to replace. Not all ICU nurses can take the same level of patient. Hospital administrators letting people go over a vaccine are way out of touch. I've dealt with more ****ty people in my career than I care to remember…whether or not the nurse working beside me is vaccinated or not doesn't even register on my radar. What matters is if that person is competent when the **** hits the fan. From a patient perspective, it's a lot safer to have the experienced nurse who doesn't have the vaccine rather than the traveler who got only three days of orientation before being left to take patients on their own.
Diggity
AG
Solid non-answer there
01agtx
AG
Diggity said:

Solid non-answer there

Excellent insight into the situation. Thanks for your perspective.
curry97
AG
One thing that I have learned through all of this is that there are a lot of educated idiots out there.
redsquirrelAG
AG
curry97 said:

One thing that I have learned through all of this is that there are a lot of educated idiots out there.

The common denominator I see is people lacking faith give into this fear. Plain and simple. Trust no man.
94chem
curry97 said:

Gotta lot of libertarians coding on the public nickel.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Diggity
AG
01agtx said:

Diggity said:

Solid non-answer there

you literally dodged his question/comment like three times.

He shows you facts, you appeal to emotion, which has been the standard playbook for people on both sides of nearly every argument related to covid it seems.
01agtx
AG
Diggity said:

01agtx said:

Diggity said:

Solid non-answer there

you literally dodged his question like three times. How many have you lost?

I didn't dodge any questions. I gave my perspective and said percentages don't matter. I have no idea what the percentage is for my hospital or any other hospital around me is. I'm not going to waist my time looking for it because, as I explained above, it doesn't matter.
GeographyAg
AG
Can you tell us what other vaccines are required for the nurses at your hospital? I'm just curious.
01agtx
AG
GeographyAg said:

Can you tell us what other vaccines are required for the nurses at your hospital? I'm just curious.

Childhood vaccines, flu vaccine. You can get an exemption for those though.
Diggity
AG
it does matter because it's a red herring.

somehow, every instance of understaffing is now blamed on the 150 or staff/admin folks that Methodist got rid of. It's amazing.
cc_ag92
AG
01agtx said:

cc_ag92 said:

Lewis County lost 4%
Maine Health lost .25%

Treating people as numbers is where we are failing. These percentages mean nothing really. Not all hospital workers are the same…nurse, doctors, techs, unit secretaries…good ones are hard to replace. Not all ICU nurses can take the same level of patient. Hospital administrators letting people go over a vaccine are way out of touch. I've dealt with more ****ty people in my career than I care to remember…whether or not the nurse working beside me is vaccinated or not doesn't even register on my radar. What matters is if that person is competent when the **** hits the fan. From a patient perspective, it's a lot safer to have the experienced nurse who doesn't have the vaccine rather than the traveler who got only three days of orientation before being left to take patients on their own.
This confuses me because it seems to conflict with what we've been hearing from some people since the beginning. The "Covidiots" care too much about individuals and don't want to look at the real data. "Corona Bros" don't want to acknowledge the small percentage of people who actually die from this disease.
Data does matter. We should make public health decisions based on data. We may disagree on what the decisions should be, but I would hope that we can agree that data points matter.
tysker
AG
Given the delta variant's transmission rate and heightened level of exposure, does the vaccine really do that much to keep hospital staff safe? Yes it keeps them from getting less sick but does it significantly slow transmission of the virus in that environment?
01agtx
AG
Diggity said:

it does matter because it's a red herring.

somehow, every instance of understaffing is now blamed on the 150 or staff/admin folks that Methodist got rid of. It's amazing.

Again, the percentages do not matter to me. Maybe they do to you. I have worked understaffed pretty much my entire career. It's nothing new in a hospital. I'd prefer not to lose coworkers because they didn't get a vaccine. It makes no sense and puts undo work on others. Losing 1 person, who wants to be at the hospital costs my unit 3 shifts a week. Replacing them with a traveler is not the same and doesn't make the unit safer.
cc_ag92
AG
We don't have all the data yet, but my admitted anecdote is this...
Get-together of 20+ people a few weeks ago... every single unvaccinated person was infected with Covid. One vaccinated person was infected and recovered quickly. Seems to me that the vaccine is still slowing transmission
GeographyAg
AG
01agtx said:

GeographyAg said:

My daughter volunteered at a hospital one summer and had to get a whole slew of vaccinations even though she had the normal vaccines on schedule. So I knew many were required.

Now I'm curious the number of nurses working without the measles vaccine because of an exemption. Do you have any idea the percentage of refusers for those other vaccinations?
01agtx
AG
GeographyAg said:

01agtx said:

GeographyAg said:

My daughter volunteered at a hospital one summer and had to get a whole slew of vaccinations even though she had the normal vaccines on schedule. So I knew many were required.

Now I'm curious the number of nurses working without the measles vaccine because of an exemption. Do you have any idea the percentage of refusers for those other vaccinations?

I don't know the answer to that. You would have to ask someone who works in occupational health at a hospital.
tysker
AG
cc_ag92 said:

We don't have all the data yet, but my admitted anecdote is this...
Get-together of 20+ people a few weeks ago... every single unvaccinated person was infected with Covid. One vaccinated person was infected and recovered quickly. Seems to me that the vaccine is still slowing transmission
This is assuming tests are being performed on the asymptomatic. Many hospital staff are in the weeds of all day every day, how many are asymptomatic on any given day? How many have already had covid or built up some form of natural immunity? For those with regular extreme levels of exposure, is the vaxx significantly better mitigation than a mask or washing hands 18-20 months in?
01agtx
AG
cc_ag92 said:

01agtx said:

cc_ag92 said:

Lewis County lost 4%
Maine Health lost .25%

This confuses me because it seems to conflict with what we've been hearing from some people since the beginning. The "Covidiots" care too much about individuals and don't want to look at the real data. "Corona Bros" don't want to acknowledge the small percentage of people who actually die from this disease.
Data does matter. We should make public health decisions based on data. We may disagree on what the decisions should be, but I would hope that we can agree that data points matter.

Is there data that says that letting go of 1% (or whatever that number is) of your workforce will have any effect on covid? We should also look at safety data of bringing in more temporary staff including nosocomial infection rates, re-intubation rates, etc.
Not a Bot
AG
All I know is I'm tired of dumbass people (and their bimbo wives) coming to the hospital and treating me like *****

You chain smoke, you are obese, you don't take your meds, and you're yelling at me that no one is helping you. You file complaints to try to get me fired. **** you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.