Why are we doing such a poor job of educating people about "exposure"?

3,654 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by West Point Aggie
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is not meant to be a pro/anti mask thread, but 2 different incidents made me scratch my head yesterday:

1. I saw a kid walking to the bus stop with his mask on. I also saw multiple kids sitting outside waiting for the bus, sitting several feet from others, with their masks on. Perhaps it's just easier, but it is worrisome that they don't seem to realize that it isn't necessary.

2. While dining, there was a neighboring table with 9 adults sitting very close. None were wearing masks. When they got up to leave, all of them masked up and headed out the door, never stopping or even coming with 6 feet of another patron.

The healthcare establishment has done a terrible job of emphasizing how COVID really spreads, and who is most vulnerable.
GeographyAg
AG
I agree.

I see it all the time at church. Someone sitting all alone with their mask on. It seems strange, but then again I remember a time when it was "don't mess with your mask, don't touch it, etc." so I figure that must be it. They don't want to be pulling it up and down all the time, I guess.

It still looks weird to me, but whatever. I decided I don't care what they do.

I only wear a mask when asked to do so or when I walk over into the "mask section" at our church to speak to someone. I figure they're concerned about exposure, so I can be polite and wear it for a few minutes to talk to them about something.

If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
Seven Costanza
AG
Get Off My Lawn
No serious person has ever considered cloth masks to be PPE.

Not the military, not OSHA, not the medical community (prior to 2020).

At best; it's a cough-catcher.

So none of those behaviors are shocking because they're committed by those who are still wearing useless masks in the first place. Whether they're doing so because they're stupid or compliant doesn't really make a difference at this point.
88planoAg
AG
I'm puzzled by the people at HEB who continue to wear a gaiter or bandana. We've known forever that those are especially useless, and were mostly adopted by the 'the rules are dumb but I'll wear something cause I have to' crowd. Now that masks are optional, most who wear them are 'community minded' or 'very concerned' and not the 'the rules are dumb but here ya go' people. So why choose a gaiter or a bandana?
West Point Aggie
AG
88planoAg said:

I'm puzzled by the people at HEB who continue to wear a gaiter or bandana. We've known forever that those are especially useless, and were mostly adopted by the 'the rules are dumb but I'll wear something cause I have to' crowd. Now that masks are optional, most who wear them are 'community minded' or 'very concerned' and not the 'the rules are dumb but here ya go' people. So why choose a gaiter or a bandana?

I've only ever worn a gaiter and only when I have to. Compared to a mask, it is very convenient. I think it is silly to wear them (like on a flight) but it was good enough for JetBlue and ABIA. The only time I had to wear a mask was to get vaccinated. I find the vast degree of rule variance, hilarious and telling.
88planoAg
AG
West Point Aggie said:

88planoAg said:

I've only ever worn a gaiter and only when I have to. Compared to a mask, it is very convenient. I think it is silly to wear them (like on a flight) but it was good enough for JetBlue and ABIA. The only time I had to wear a mask was to get vaccinated. I find the vast degree of rule variance, hilarious and telling.
Exactly what I would expect if one wears a gaiter. So why are the ones voluntarily masking choosing that type of mask? It makes no sense to me. (I didn't realize some airlines would still accept them, that is for sure more comfortable than any other type. SWA doesn't allow that choice.
GAC06
AG
For the general public a mask is nothing more than a symbol of compliance or superstition to ward off covid.
agsalaska
AG
Kids do it as a fashion statement of some kind or another. Insecure kids wear them to help hide.

It has nothing to do with Covid for the vast majority of them.
terradactylexpress
My favorite are the people walking around the grocery store with their mask on their chin. Absolute idiots
waitwhat?
I think most of y'all are focusing on point 2 in the OP where many people are just wearing them to be compliant (pretty lame reason, IMO).

But point 1 is a serious issue and always has been. Many people believe, somehow after more than a year and a half, that this is an airborne virus and that's why they wear their useless coverings, even by themselves.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
coolerguy12
AG
There is a lady that walk/runs in my neighborhood. She keeps a KN95 on her elbow and throws it on when she passes someone. I was blown away when she rushed to slap it on when I went passed her at 30 mph on a dirtbike on the other side of the road.

I truly feel bad for her. I can't imagine the mental toll it would take to live in that level of fear.
GAC06
AG
My 8 year old nephew runs cross country. A girl in his most recent race ran in a mask.
KidDoc
AG
I saw a pair of ladies today at HEB doing damn near a full surgical scrub down and full cleaning of their cart prior to going in. They did have KN95s on so at least they are using an effective mask I guess. But if you are that high risk you should be vaccinated and just do curbside to be honest.

The only really high risk situations are prolonged close contact especially with sick people. So buses, elevators, doc visits, schools (depending on ventilation), airplanes, concerts, church.

I only mask if required and at work with a basic surgical mask. I get the goggles & N95 when I'm seeing a likely or + COVID especially if I am going to swab them or make them cough/gag/sneeze.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I think many on this site over estimate the amount of rational thinking that takes place amongst humans.
cc_ag92
AG
How many cloth masks are y'all still seeing? Almost every mask I see now is at least a paper medical mask if not a KN94 or 95.
B-1 83
AG
KidDoc said:

I saw a pair of ladies today at HEB doing damn near a full surgical scrub down and full cleaning of their cart prior to going in. They did have KN95s on so at least they are using an effective mask I guess. But if you are that high risk you should be vaccinated and just do curbside to be honest.

The only really high risk situations are prolonged close contact especially with sick people. So buses, elevators, doc visits, schools (depending on ventilation), airplanes, concerts, church.

I only mask if required and at work with a basic surgical mask. I get the goggles & N95 when I'm seeing a likely or + COVID especially if I am going to swab them or make them cough/gag/sneeze.
Winner! These situations potentially lead to a CDC defined exposure - not walking around shopping at HEB.

I couldn't help but notice only one doctor chimed in. You guys should be the most vocal about this as well as who is most at risk!
Not a Bot
AG
Unfortunately a lot of the frontline doctors and nurses haven't had much of a say in this at all.

Public health officials and national types have been driving the education and narratives. Pretty much every county, state, etc. have their own way of distributing information.

I certainly wish more people would realize that quick/passing outdoor exposure is practically zero risk. Being on the beach out in the sun is basically zero risk.

Most virus seems to be spreading through prolonged indoor exposure without good ventilation.
cc_ag92
AG
Why is it their duty to be vocal about this? Most of them are freaking exhausted and don't have the energy for your fight.
waitwhat?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I think many on this site over estimate the amount of rational thinking that takes place amongst humans.
The past year and a half made me realize that I definitely over estimate that. The sad part is I'm pretty sure even after correcting for it I'm still over estimating it. Saw a kid riding his bike alone just this morning with some kind of face covering on.

What's happening is abusive.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
MiMi
S
Quote:

I'm traveling for work again and spent the last few days at a conference in San Antonio. I'm staying at a hotel and have to ride an elevator to my room. How risky is it to share an elevator with a stranger for ~ 60 sec without either of us wearing masks? Is the risk sharing their air or the many others that have been in the elevator recently? I have no idea how often the air is exchanged in an elevator.
KidDoc
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I'm traveling for work again and spent the last few days at a conference in San Antonio. I'm staying at a hotel and have to ride an elevator to my room. How risky is it to share an elevator with a stranger for ~ 60 sec without either of us wearing masks? Is the risk sharing their air or the many others that have been in the elevator recently? I have no idea how often the air is exchanged in an elevator.

If the people in the elevator with you are infected and cough or sneeze that is a significant exposure to whatever they are spreading. It can certainly pass via buttons as well but that is easy to prevent with hand hygiene. Most elevators have no ventilation at all except when the doors open as far as I know.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dad
AG
terradactylexpress said:

My favorite are the people walking around the grocery store with their mask on their chin. Absolute idiots

When masks were enforced if I saw someone wearing it on their chin I thought that they were just doing it so they could pull it up for a second if anyone hassled them about it but it was really sort of a way to protest masks.

Now I see people doing that in places that don't enforce masks and 80% of people are maskless yet they have one only on their chin. It makes me think they have lost some brain cells. I remember South Park making an episode about chin diapers.
B-1 83
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Why is it their duty to be vocal about this? Most of them are freaking exhausted and don't have the energy for your fight.
Not every doctor is a front line ER doctor, and after near.y 2 years you would think something more would be said.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
waitwhat? said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

The past year and a half made me realize that I definitely over estimate that. The sad part is I'm pretty sure even after correcting for it I'm still over estimating it. Saw a kid riding his bike alone just this morning with some kind of face covering on.

What's happening is abusive.
And don't forget, most people act irrationally numerous times a day but "I'm not the problem".
Capitol Ag
AG
I'm honestly at a loss as to why so many vaccinated people (or anyone for that matter) are masking. I do think that the numbers are going back down regarding mask wearing. Seemed a period about 2 months ago that we were at an all time high of those choosing to mask but it seems a lot more have either grown tired of it or realize it most likely is not doing much to protect anyone...
c-jags
Capitol Ag said:

I'm honestly at a loss as to why so many vaccinated people (or anyone for that matter) are masking. I do think that the numbers are going back down regarding mask wearing. Seemed a period about 2 months ago that we were at an all time high of those choosing to mask but it seems a lot more have either grown tired of it or realize it most likely is not doing much to protect anyone...
i've been fairly anti-mask and think they're worthless (cloth masks in transient locations like a store, not N95 masks properly worn) but in late July and August my whole family had something that wasn't COVID (RSV that turned into a sinus infection or something of the sort.) my son and i had a lingering cough from it so our family wore masks in school when only when sitting around others for a while in class and in tabletop conversations at church, but that was it really, and it was just done to make sure we had less cough or sneeze particles out there.

i don't begrudge anybody wearing masks if it makes them feel more comfortable, but the messaging from the media and medical community that has lead to people wearing masks alone in a car or outside by themselves is puzzling.
Capitol Ag
AG
c-jags said:

Capitol Ag said:

i've been fairly anti-mask and think they're worthless (cloth masks in transient locations like a store, not N95 masks properly worn) but in late July and August my whole family had something that wasn't COVID (RSV that turned into a sinus infection or something of the sort.) my son and i had a lingering cough from it so our family wore masks in school when only when sitting around others for a while in class and in tabletop conversations at church, but that was it really, and it was just done to make sure we had less cough or sneeze particles out there.

i don't begrudge anybody wearing masks if it makes them feel more comfortable, but the messaging from the media and medical community that has lead to people wearing masks alone in a car or outside by themselves is puzzling.
And that is something I think we will see a lot more of going forward. No issue with it. As long as it's not a mandate, i am fine with individuals making that choice. My point is that it's been strange that plenty of sources now state that once vaccinated the risk you could pose to others is minimal at best. Yet it's pretty easy to assume that many of the masked individuals I see are vaccinated as well. Granted, that was NOT what the CDC/Government were saying in July when they started asking all to mask again and a study was used to justify why even the vaccinated should mask. But that study has been debunked since then and many more studies show little evidence that a vaccinated person gives off enough virus to be a major threat to spread it effectively.

One question I had was how those still masking view us that do not when out in public. A year ago there were plenty of incidences where the masked and unmasked went after each other in public with those on one "side" chastising the other. Yet today I'll have friendly conversations with masked people who do not seem to be bothered at all that I do not have one. I've even been surprised that a masked person will strike up a conversation with me. It's probably the way it should have always been. And we aren't even talking about masking or anything related to Covid. Do these individuals get mad when others do not seem to want to take the same approach they have chosen? Why is it different today than last year? The mandate? Covid exhaustion to a point where many are just going to do what they think is right but not be bothered anylonger about what another person chooses?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
B-1 83 said:

This is not meant to be a pro/anti mask thread, but 2 different incidents made me scratch my head yesterday:

1. I saw a kid walking to the bus stop with his mask on. I also saw multiple kids sitting outside waiting for the bus, sitting several feet from others, with their masks on. Perhaps it's just easier, but it is worrisome that they don't seem to realize that it isn't necessary.

2. While dining, there was a neighboring table with 9 adults sitting very close. None were wearing masks. When they got up to leave, all of them masked up and headed out the door, never stopping or even coming with 6 feet of another patron.

The healthcare establishment has done a terrible job of emphasizing how COVID really spreads, and who is most vulnerable.
And when you add to that the fact that numerous studies have shown masks to be like 2-3% effective (one study said as high as 10% but I believe that is in perfect scientific conditions and implemented social distancing), it's even MORE ridiculous.

The common mask is virtually useless. It might by chance protect you/others very slightly in each encounter, but at best it just delays the inevitable.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Hammerly High Dive Crips
c-jags said:

Capitol Ag said:

Speaking of messaging, and masks...I sincerely do wonder how many vulnerable people died or got severely ill from Covid bc they and their loved ones thought masks made them both safe?
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
cc_ag92
AG
That would be an interesting study.

Anecdotally, none of the people I know who have been hospitalized wore masks regularly or at all. They also didn't engage in most social distancing, either by choice or by occupation. So, the masks (or lack thereof) weren't necessarily the cause of their illness.
GenericAggie
AG
KidDoc said:

Airplanes? Please … go on. Tell me more. We were told flying was safe.
KidDoc
AG
GenericAggie said:

KidDoc said:

Airplanes? Please … go on. Tell me more. We were told flying was safe.

The air circulation is good enough where you won't see super spreader events but if there is a stranger coughing near you that is a big exposure. Especially if a young kid that cannot wear mask properly to at least decrease the droplet dispersion radius.
West Point Aggie
AG
One observation: many people clearly do not know the difference between a cough and a sneeze!
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Dad said:

terradactylexpress said:

When masks were enforced if I saw someone wearing it on their chin I thought that they were just doing it so they could pull it up for a second if anyone hassled them about it but it was really sort of a way to protest masks.

Now I see people doing that in places that don't enforce masks and 80% of people are maskless yet they have one only on their chin. It makes me think they have lost some brain cells. I remember South Park making an episode about chin diapers.

My theory, which I actually tested, is that people leave you alone when you have it on your chin. But, if you have nothing, the stares, or comments come. But, have one on your chin, I think you are considered to at least be trying. This is how stupid it has become,
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.