CDC Goes Against Panel On Boosters

2,935 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by czechy91
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are the doctors take on this? The panel comes out against the boosters outside of 65+, but then the CDC chief says we're going to do it anyways and ignores the people that we're being told to trust.
Dallas Police Department is full of crooked cops that lied about Mrs. Angela West and tried to destroy her name and reputation
aTm2004
AG
Looks like someone wants their name in the headlines while destroying the credibility of the organization they oversee. Heck of a sacrifice for a bit of fame.
Get Off My Lawn
There'$ more at $take than ju$t fame...
AgDev01
AG
Their credibility was already shattered when they issued guidance lifted directly from an email sent by the head of a teachers union. I am sure we will find out this is more of the same when the latest foia requests are sent.
Bassmaster
AG
Nobody should listen to the CDC anymore.
Another Doug
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

What are the doctors take on this? The panel comes out against the boosters outside of 65+, but then the CDC chief says we're going to do it anyways and ignores the people that we're being told to trust.
Last week you were celebrating the FDA's recommendations, the CDC director is following the FDA's recommendations.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Yea, my reading of this is that it was a very narrow overturning. As I understood it, she went with the CDC advisory panel's recommendations on all but a single point, that being their vote against recommending the booster for those with a high occupational risk for exposure. Further, I read that the vote on that point was split and very narrowly went against recommending. So her over ruling here was on a very narrow point, that very narrowly went the way it did, and puts the CDC in line with the FDA. It does seem fair to offer some specific criticism to the decision but it's also not nearly a big of a deal as the way I've seen the headlines report it. (Edit) or the way it seems to be being viewed here.
KidDoc
AG
It is garbage. I don't think the CDC has ever overturned decisions from the ACIP & FDA, at least not in the 20 years I have been in medicine. What is the point of having a counsel of immunization practice if they are ignored?

I think the CDC is being pressured by the administration to "do something" to stop COVID so the administration can look better and for economic recovery. I stated weeks ago that there is no data to support universal boosters and the FDA and ACIP agree with me.

And this is universal boosters. The CDC says anyone in a "high risk job" 18+ can get a booster. What job is not high risk? If you see other humans during the normal day you are in a high risk job of exposure. If you don't, does anyone else at home see other humans? If so then boom you are high risk of exposure. Do you have kids that see other humans? Then you are at high risk of exposure.

It is a joke and they are jumping ahead of the data that currently has no proof that a booster will decrease COVID spread or that a booster will decrease your risk of hospitalization or death outside of the 65+ or immunosuppressed demographics.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Another Doug
AG
But they are doing what the FDA recommended
Teslag
AG
Another Doug said:

Do you think a healthy 18 year old working in food service needs a booster?

Really?
Jabin
Salute The Marines said:

Another Doug said:

Really?
That's not the issue being discussed, or at least I don't think it is.
KidDoc
AG
Jabin said:

Salute The Marines said:

Another Doug said:

Really?
Yes indeed it is. Any 18+ person who has an "occupational hazard" job qualifies. This means contact with humans and basically anyone but shut-ins qualifies. It is the main reason the ACIP did not include that group.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Another Doug
AG
Why should those people not be allowed to get a booster?
KidDoc
AG
Another Doug said:

Because there is no proof it is needed to prevent serious disease. Why give any medication that is unproven? Everything has potential adverse effects.
Jabin
KidDoc said:

Jabin said:

Salute The Marines said:

Another Doug said:

Really?
Yes indeed it is. Any 18+ person who has an "occupational hazard" job qualifies. This means contact with humans and basically anyone but shut-ins qualifies. It is the main reason the ACIP did not include that group.
I thought that what was being discussed was whether she had gone against the FDA recommendations or not.
GAC06
AG
Thanks for taking the time to post here
Another Doug
AG
KidDoc said:

Another Doug said:

Because there is no proof it is needed to prevent serious disease. Why give any medication that is unproven? Everything has potential adverse effects.

All the CDC and FDA has said so far is that 18-64 in those industries may get a shot. Is the problem 18 is too young to be give access to the booster or that the booster doesn't do anything for healthy people in that age range.
Teslag
AG
There's not data that it does anything for them. It completely contradicts the message that these decision are being made based on science and data.

It only fuels those who are leery even more. Why is it so hard to just base these decisions on data and data alone? It's been a failure from the start.
KidDoc
AG
Another Doug said:

KidDoc said:

Another Doug said:

All the CDC and FDA has said so far is that 18-64 in those industries may get a shot. Is the problem 18 is too young to be give access to the booster or that the booster doesn't do anything for healthy people in that age range.
The problem, as Salute stated, is that the ACIP/CDC/FDA is expected to make recommendations based on science and data not hopes and dreams. That is what has given western medicine prestige and power over the last 100 years because it is EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE (EBM). The ACIP stuck to their scientific and rational roots and said that, outside of the 65+ and immunocompromised, there is no current evidence that a booster is helpful or needed. With time the evidence can and likely will lead to changes in those recommendations which is how science is supposed to work. The CDC, for what I believe are political reasons, decided to ignore the ACIP for the first time ever as far as I can find.

If an 18 year old worker wants to get a booster every month I'm sure a local pharmacy will be happy to provide it. Heck he can get a flu shot every month as well if he wants to. But for a group of medical experts to recommend it (not mandate or restrict) is supposed to carry the weight of data and scientific balance of risk vs benefit. The CDC threw that whole concept in the trash late last night and it should be shocking and distressing for all medical people who strive to practice EBM day to day.

Another Doug
AG
Thanks for you input doc.

I admit I am having trouble seeing the difference in what you are saying and what the CDC is saying, but I am trying. Here is my new interpretation based on what I have read from you and the CDC. I promise I am not being a smartass.

While the CDC does not say the group in question should get a booster, they are recommending they be allowed to. By allowing people get the booster, this can be seen as a defacto recommendation by the CDC that the booster is effective. And because boosters haven't been proven to be beneficial to healthy 18-64 people yet, some experts (including the majority of the ACIP, but not the FDA), don't think this group should have access to the booster.

I am glad I am Team Moderna and don't have to worry about this.
KidDoc
AG
Another Doug said:

Thanks for you input doc.

I admit I am having trouble seeing the difference in what you are saying and what the CDC is saying, but I am trying. Here is my new interpretation based on what I have read from you and the CDC. I promise I am not being a smartass.

While the CDC does not say the group in question should get a booster, they are recommending they be allowed to. By allowing people get the booster, this can be seen as a defacto recommendation by the CDC that the booster is effective. And because boosters haven't been proven to be beneficial to healthy 18-64 people yet, some experts (including the majority of the ACIP, but not the FDA), don't think this group should have access to have the booster.

I am glad I am Team Moderna and don't have to worry about this.
Nothing wrong with discussion of data, that is one of the issues with the information age is people get personal and upset with discussion of whatever issue and that is often not productive.

I'm team Moderna myself and know my titers are very high still so this is not a personal issue outside of trying to advise the 2000+ families that ask me for advise.

Your terminology is just wrong, it not about the ACIP refusing access to a booster, it is do they ADVISE a booster. If someone wants a booster every month I don't think anyone would stop them, but for the vaccine experts to say you SHOULD get a vaccine is significant and based on extensive data that is not questionable. The current data set does not support that a booster dose is needed or beneficial for the vast majority of people but the CDC went ahead and ignored that data and advice from the ACIP and said anyone "at risk of exposure" should consider a Pfizer booster. This is in the hope and prayer that those who are on the Pfizer vaccine schedule will catch and spread less delta if they get a booster based on antibody titer data. This is not an unrealistic extrapolation of the current data set but it is unprecented to give CDC advise based on hopes not actual data. As I said weeks ago I think this is a knee jerk reaction by the administration to try and "do something" to control COVID that has very little basis in actual real life data.

3rd Generation Ag
AG
Doc, thanks for your input. I am team Moderna also, 73, and still teaching. I have general and SPED kids and the SPED kids frequently need close contact to help them. (sitting at a desk that is touching their desk at face level with about two feet at max of separation.) Many on the spectrum do not mask. Masks are optional and I opt to mask, but I consider what I do high risk. We have MANY covid cases among the students and require no testing for them to return...so again high risk. I will get the moderna booster if and when it is recommended. But my 55 year old co teaching assistant is at the same risk as I am...and she works with those SPED kids exclusively..so actually higher risk. This decision just allows her to make the choice to get the booster if she wants to...it is just not about the 18 year old working at the drive through window.

Skip below because it is just venting on how hard it is to even keep the schools open during Covid. (why you hear from teacher's organizations) It take PEOPLE to run schools and support staffs are highly needed.

{Add to that there is such a custodian shortage (we are down to 6 for a huge campus, at one time pre covid had 20) that they are only able to clean one floor a day...so there is no sanitation or sanitization on a regular basis.) And our campus has had at least two staff fatalities from covid (both at the end of last year) and our neighboring high school has a teacher/coach currently on full life support fighting to live through it. We are also short on security, food services, bus drivers, paraprofessionals, critically short of subs (most are retired teachers not willing to take risks for 100 a day) and even teachers. We still have classes with no teacher of record..because we can't find people to even hire for the jobs.}
hamean02
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Doc, thanks for your input. I am team Moderna also, 73, and still teaching. I have general and SPED kids and the SPED kids frequently need close contact to help them. (sitting at a desk that is touching their desk at face level with about two feet at max of separation.) Many on the spectrum do not mask. Masks are optional and I opt to mask, but I consider what I do high risk. We have MANY covid cases among the students and require no testing for them to return...so again high risk. I will get the moderna booster if and when it is recommended. But my 55 year old co teaching assistant is at the same risk as I am...and she works with those SPED kids exclusively..so actually higher risk. This decision just allows her to make the choice to get the booster if she wants to...it is just not about the 18 year old working at the drive through window.

Skip below because it is just venting on how hard it is to even keep the schools open during Covid. (why you hear from teacher's organizations) It take PEOPLE to run schools and support staffs are highly needed.

{Add to that there is such a custodian shortage (we are down to 6 for a huge campus, at one time pre covid had 20) that they are only able to clean one floor a day...so there is no sanitation or sanitization on a regular basis.) And our campus has had at least two staff fatalities from covid (both at the end of last year) and our neighboring high school has a teacher/coach currently on full life support fighting to live through it. We are also short on security, food services, bus drivers, paraprofessionals, critically short of subs (most are retired teachers not willing to take risks for 100 a day) and even teachers. We still have classes with no teacher of record..because we can't find people to even hire for the jobs.}

We live in south carolina. My wife is an instructional coach here and your story is universal to just about every school. Sounds pretty much the same as her experience here.
03_Aggie
3rd Generation Ag said:

What was stopping her, or you, from getting a third shot prior to this?
AJ02
AG
Those kind of staffing issues aren't exclusive to schools. It's being seen EVERYWHERE. We have the same issues, if not worse, where i work in manufacturing. My team of 4 is down to 1 1/2, basically. I myself am doing the job of 3 people. And that 1/2 person is talking about leaving at year end. We were already short handed when it was 4. Which means it will be 100% on me to purchase all items and schedule production for a plant of 1500 people. Just me. We make surgical kits. In the midst of the worst supply chain I've ever seen. So no, it's not just schools.
KidDoc
AG
Yes staffing issue and working face to face with unmasked kids are rough, I'm in the same boat except I am seeing the sick ones with fever and coughing in my face.

That does not change the fact that there is NO EVIDENCE that a booster makes any difference outside of the 65+ and immunocomprised. I am not arguing about restricting or allowing boosters it is an argument about what health experts recommend and the power behind that recommendation. If an expert group recommends something it should be based on sound evidence and this is not based on anything but "doing something" to decrease case numbers.

They are looking at dropping antibody titers and extrapolating risk from those numbers. The real world data on lower risk patients does not currently support that theory as they seem to maintain robust T cell immunity even with dropping titers. Thus the reason for the ACIP to say hold up let's get more information first.

The CDC said no thanks we are going to advise this anyway because..... I believe because of political and social pressure.

It is very similar to mask mandates. There is no clear evidence they work especially in younger kids. But teachers and parents feel you must do something to stop the spread so they mask kids 2+. We also did things in the past like leeching and drilling holes in skulls for headaches. It is not wrong to ask for scientific evidence to make a scientific decision. Just doing something that seems right at the time is not always the best answer in retrospect.
Yesterday
AG
What has continued to drive me nuts in all of this madness is the inconsistency from everyone. Which is the main reason no one believes anyone.

Trust this science but not that science. And sometimes that science and not this science. I honestly don't believe anyone
Diet Cokehead
AG
KidDoc said:

Yes staffing issue and working face to face with unmasked kids are rough, I'm in the same boat except I am seeing the sick ones with fever and coughing in my face.

That does not change the fact that there is NO EVIDENCE that a booster makes any difference outside of the 65+ and immunocomprised. I am not arguing about restricting or allowing boosters it is an argument about what health experts recommend and the power behind that recommendation. If an expert group recommends something it should be based on sound evidence and this is not based on anything but "doing something" to decrease case numbers.

They are looking at dropping antibody titers and extrapolating risk from those numbers. The real world data on lower risk patients does not currently support that theory as they seem to maintain robust T cell immunity even with dropping titers. Thus the reason for the ACIP to say hold up let's get more information first.

The CDC said no thanks we are going to advise this anyway because..... I believe because of political and social pressure.

It is very similar to mask mandates. There is no clear evidence they work especially in younger kids. But teachers and parents feel you must do something to stop the spread so they mask kids 2+. We also did things in the past like leeching and drilling holes in skulls for headaches. It is not wrong to ask for scientific evidence to make a scientific decision. Just doing something that seems right at the time is not always the best answer in retrospect.
I work with a log of medical professionals and it is shocking to me to see how the tide is turning and how disgusted the professionals are by the CDC's actions.
FlyFisher99
AG
What are considered "good" titer levels?
czechy91
AG
FlyFisher99 said:

What are considered "good" titer levels?
That's the $1MM question and one that no one can give you a straight answer because no one really knows. That's the reason why Israel is giving boosters to everyone out 6 months and UK is giving them to anyone over 50 yo and out 6 months. The magical line/ number is subject to opinion and those countries are being more cautious and casting a bigger net while CDC has to balance caution and messaging. That's why I don't place as much credence to what the CDC says because I believe politics clouds the information.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.