What percentage of Doctors in this country/state have been vaccinated?

5,915 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KidDoc
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have only seen one study done a few months ago that said 96%, though I've seen some criticize it for sample size. Anyone have any other sources/numbers?

Reason for asking:

I (34) was fully vaccinated in February, my wife (28) in March. My entire side of the family is vaccinated. My wife's mom's side of the family is all vaccinated. My wife's brother and Dad's side of the family are not all vaccinated. We are having a new baby soon and going to request everyone that comes to see him in the first year be vaccinated.

All that to say, my biggest argument towards pro-vaccination originally was the amount of doctors that lined up to get it. Either they were all right (it's safe and effective) or we are going to have a severe shortage of doctors in the future. If the latter, we'd all be screwed whether we got the vaccine or not.

I also will bring up the percentage difference of deaths/hospitalizations between vaxed and unvaxed patients, though I know that one Israel study will be brought up.
planoaggie123
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I have only seen one study done a few months ago that said 96%, though I've seen some criticize it for sample size. Anyone have any other sources/numbers?

Reason for asking:

I (34) was fully vaccinated in February, my wife (28) in March. My entire side of the family is vaccinated. My wife's mom's side of the family is all vaccinated. My wife's brother and Dad's side of the family are not all vaccinated. We are having a new baby soon and going to request everyone that comes to see him in the first year be vaccinated.

All that to say, my biggest argument towards pro-vaccination originally was the amount of doctors that lined up to get it. Either they were all right (it's safe and effective) or we are going to have a severe shortage of doctors in the future. If the latter, we'd all be screwed whether we got the vaccine or not.

I also will bring up the percentage difference of deaths/hospitalizations between vaxed and unvaxed patients, though I know that one Israel study will be brought up.

Your baby. Your choice. Do not blame you one bit. I think the risk is SUPER TINY for baby but if it were my first (or even 2nd) I would probably do the same. We made sure all our friends / family had certain shots before due to the risk they posed directly to newborns (whooping cough)

Two things....from what i have read you are likely right....a very high percentage of doctors / nurses are high. I think easily over 90% but who cares about that...

Ultimately....back to my first point....this is YOUR baby....you make the rules. Friends and family do not. If you don't want them near your baby w/o the vaccines and you and your wife are in agreement....they will have to decide how badly they want to see your newborn.
KidDoc
AG
It is 96% or likely even higher now. 99% of my circle is vaccinated I know of one doc that is refusing.

For the newborn flu, RSV, whopping cough, HSV1 are all MUCH MUCH more dangerous than COVID so make sure people are well and ideally have a TdaP within 5 years and updated flu vaccine. That little fever blister on the aunt's lip is NOT BENIGN for newborns I have seen severe systemic HSV1 infections in neonates from people not understand that is a viral infection.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
The Shank Ag said:

Reason for asking:

You should be MUCH more worried about RSV than Covid, along with several of other illnesses that babies actually have a hard time with, and making sure zero family members have any signs/symptoms of those. I know of several people who's baby had to be put on O2 from RSV in recent months. Babies generally do very well against Covid. I think like 105 infants have died WITH Covid since the pandemic began? They are not as low-risk as 3-4 year olds, but they are very low.

I think it's pretty silly to require everyone who comes in contact with your baby be vaccinated for Covid (which, keep in mind, they can still spread after vax) and NOT be up to date on their TDAP shots. Much more risk with the latter.

Congrats though! We are loving every bit of our little 3.5mo old Corona baby.

EDIT: KidDoc beat me to it.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
The Shank Ag
All got TDAP before baby 1 a couple years ago at my wife's insistence
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Nvmd, misread.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Marcus Aurelius
AG
100% of my Dr cohorts are. Everyone lined up for it and now clamoring for the booster.
RespectTheDecision
AG
"We are having a new baby soon and going to request everyone that comes to see him in the first year be vaccinated."

This is 100% your choice and I respect that. But, help me understand this. Vaccinated people spread covid too. I would think, is he just trying to push an agenda? I would much rather be interested in the people (your family/friends) if they've had a fever recently or flue like symptoms.
PatAg
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

"We are having a new baby soon and going to request everyone that comes to see him in the first year be vaccinated."

This is 100% your choice and I respect that. But, help me understand this. Vaccinated people spread covid too. I would think, is he just trying to push an agenda? I would much rather be interested in the people (your family/friends) if they've had a fever recently or flue like symptoms.
I think it goes without saying that if someone has a fever or flu like symptoms, they wouldnt be welcome to meet a newborn.
deadbq03
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

First, kudos on an obligatory user name checks out

Honestly, I'd have no qualms using a baby as an excuse to help get family members vaccinated.

But if I got pushback about Covid not being a risk to babies, my rationale would be risk management. Lots of family members are probably going to be coming to visit the OP's house within a relatively similar timeframe, so his household is going to become a much riskier place for individuals to catch Covid. Therefore it is responsible to try to mitigate that extra risk as much as possible and ask that folks get vaccinated.

In fact, if it were me I'd probably not bring up the baby at all, but I'd lead with this: "Dad if you get Covid after visiting our super-spreader house, I'd be upset at myself for letting you come. Get a vaxx so you can safely come." Is it likely that dad is doing other risky things? Sure. But I'd still feel bad if it happened in a timeframe that may have meant it happened at my house.

(Now all that said, I'd probably also allow folks who've already recovered from a previous infection to come.)
Diyala Nick
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

Vaccinated people are a lot less likely to have covid in the first place, and therefore less likely to spread it (once a vaccinated person gets it, probably a different story (although the jury is still out on that)).
NASAg03
You could also be more understanding, educated, and not look to make a political statement by saying "if you don't have immunity please get immunized before seeing my child, and if you have are feeling sick, please wait to come another time."

Plenty of people already have had covid and have immunity. No reason to require a blanket shot when there are far more breakthrough cases in the vaccinated than those with natural immunity.
14TheRoad
AG
thenational said:

Vaccinated people are just as likely to give you Covid, if not more likely. What gives? Makes absolutely no sense. LOL

Makes sense if you're trying to manipulate people.
billydean05
The Shank Ag said:

Reason for asking:

Your baby your choice is correct. The science has proven that the risk of COVID to infants and children is tiny. We had our first baby in December 2020. All relatives and any friends were welcome to visit her and she is doing great. Please see link:

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-by-Sex-and-Age/9bhg-hcku

Only 113 COVID deaths to infants under 1. There are approximately ten to fifteen higher priority worries than COVID to your infant.
West Point Aggie
AG
OP: honor system or will you require documentation?

Your baby, your house your call…just curious!

Congrats on the baby human!
Duncan Idaho
He can throw a spoon at them, shine a uv light on them or turn them upside down and see if any spike proteins fall out.

And OP, congrats on the kid.

Gordo14
thenational said:

Vaccinated people are just as likely to give you Covid, if not more likely. What gives? Makes absolutely no sense. LOL

The vaccines still have decent efficacy agaibst infection... So actually there's a substantially higher chance that an unvaccinated person is infected at any given point in time than a vaccinated person. Just because "breakthrough" infections happen doesn't mean they happen equally as they do in unvaccinated people. **** the Moderna Vaccine looks to be in the 75-80% range in terms of efficacy to infection even now. So there's at least a 75% lower chance that they would be infected. Classic Texags that thinks somehow being vaccinated increases the likelihood that they are infected.

I would argue that getting a simple shot says a lot about a person's responsibility to others which is almost as important as the efficacy of the vaccines IMO.
Duncan Idaho
Too many tabs
RespectTheDecision
AG
My parents just got covid and they were both vaccinated. Their neighbors were also both vaccinated and they caught covid. My good friend in Plano just recovered from covid-19 and he was fully vaccinated too. Only my mom went to the doctor to get officially tested. Dad did an at home test, but had same symptoms. So the statistics are not accurate. (Seven!) 7 people I know got covid last week and only one of them will show up as a vaccinated person catching covid-19.
murphyag
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

My parents just got covid and they were both vaccinated. Their neighbors were also both vaccinated and they caught covid. My good friend in Plano just recovered from covid-19 and he was fully vaccinated too. Only my mom went to the doctor to get officially tested. Dad did an at home test, but had same symptoms. So the statistics are not accurate. (Seven!) 7 people I know got covid last week and only one of them will show up as a vaccinated person catching covid-19.

Did any of them end up hospitalized or dead? That's what the Covid vaccine is supposed to be good at preventing when a person becomes infected with the Delta variant.
murphyag
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

Did any of them end up hospitalized or dead? That's what the Covid vaccine is supposed to be good at preventing when a person becomes infected with the Delta variant.
murphyag
PatAg
AG
RespectTheDecision said:

That's not how statistics work.
NASAg03
murphyag said:

RespectTheDecision said:

Did end of them end up hospitalized or dead? That's what the Covid vaccine is supposed to be good at preventing when a person becomes infected with the Delta variant.

That's not the question OP posted. It's about transmission. Stats show vaccines prevent 5X transmission vs unvaxxed. But data is very limited. Natural immunity indicates less transmissivitity than vaxx.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I think the argument he is making is vaccinated people are much more likely to have a mild or asymptotic infection and thus are more likely to spread it because they don't know they have it.

And to the OP, please don't politicalize your baby. You're the parents so do what you think is best. But if my sister did that to me when she knows my stance I would be livid and refuse even more.

What the medical community needs to understand is y'all need to stop mentioning the vaccine at every moment. The more you try to manipulate and guilt people into getting it the longer it will take. I will get it on my own time when I am ready when I believe the rewards outweigh the risk of the risk is dropped to a manageable level. But it has to be my choice my decision on my timeline. You trying to sell me on an idea immediately makes my spidy sense go full tilt
The Shank Ag
G. hirsutum Ag said:

And to the OP, please don't politicalize your baby. You're the parents so do what you think is best. But if my sister did that to me when she knows my stance I would be livid and refuse even more.
I'm realllly wondering what is so political about my post. Not once did I bring politics into it. And across the board minus one cousin on my side of the family, we all agree politically (very conservative).

If anything you could call my wife a hypochondriac, especially about our kids.
fightingfarmer09
One of those parents.

Good luck.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

That's not how statistics work.
I remember studying Chebyshev's Theorem and wondering when I would ever use it in real life. As it turns out, the real world is awash is statistical ignorance and I thought about it all the time from then on.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I'm realllly wondering what is so political about my post. Not once did I bring politics into it. And across the board minus one cousin on my side of the family, we all agree politically (very conservative).

It is strange how medical concern over a newborn child has morphed into political posturing in the minds of certain people. Sign of the times I suppose.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

It is strange how medical concern over a newborn child has morphed into political posturing in the minds of certain people. Sign of the times I suppose.
It depends if the concern actually poses a statistical risk to the newborn or not.
El Chupacabra
The Shank Ag said:

G. hirsutum Ag said:

Your vaccinated friends/family can still transmit the virus to your kid. Maybe you shouldn't allow them to see the kid until the kid is vaccinated.
Sonic5678
AG
Thank you for pointing all this out to the poster. I was thinking exactly that, but it means so much more coming from you!
bigtruckguy3500
100% of docs I know directly are vaccinated. I knew one doc via a coworker who wasn't, and he actually passed away from COVID. Fairly young and healthy, in his 40's. No sure if he had an underlying condition. He was in a low risk of exposure specialty, but no clue why he deferred the shot.
nhamp07
AG
G. hirsutum Ag said:

I think the argument he is making is vaccinated people are much more likely to have a mild or asymptotic infection and thus are more likely to spread it because they don't know they have it.

What the medical community needs to understand is y'all need to stop mentioning the vaccine at every moment. The more you try to manipulate and guilt people into getting it the longer it will take. I will get it on my own time when I am ready when I believe the rewards outweigh the risk of the risk is dropped to a manageable level. But it has to be my choice my decision on my timeline. You trying to sell me on an idea immediately makes my spidy sense go full tilt
Manipulation and guilt. LOL. How about trying to keep people out of the hospitals needlessly putting hospitals/staff on the brink.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Then stop telling people the only treatment is to come to the hospital when there is a plethora of other options to try. And stop laying off qualified staff
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.