Can't find studies on one shot effectiveness against hospitalization or death

1,148 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by goatchze
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know two shots is considered fully vaccinated, but I'm trying to find data on the effectiveness of a single shot, specifically of Pfizer, against hospitalization or death. I may be misreading certain articles online, but it seems to indicate when they talk about the vaccine's efficacy after 1or both shots, it's referring to getting covid with symptoms at all once vaccinated? Is that right? In other words, if I read that the first shot is 40% effective against the Delta variant, is that saying it's 40% effective at preventing me from getting Covid at all? Or is it just 40% effective against hospitalization and/or death? In a few cases, some of the studies seem to be in the 60s to 70s age groups. Would it be likely that the vaccine effectiveness of even just the first shot might be greater for those in their 30s or 40s?

I know everyone will say just get the second shot if you've already had the first, but for people that had a poor reaction to the first shot, I'm wondering how much protection they might have against hospitalization, which I think is what most people are truly concerned about.
PascalsWager
AG
Its really bizarre that they don't have this data. I've looked for it for 6 months. Not because I didn't want the 2nd dose (you should take it too; whatever your reaction was) but because a 6 weeks gap between doses is an eternity.

We have almost NO date on half vaxxed folks. Strange.
NASAg03

They did a study in the UK comparing one shot, two shots, no vaxx, and natural immunity:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.18.21262237v1

And there's a Texags thread discussing this study:

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3221872/replies/60025655
TheMasterplan
I would like to know this too. I had a fairly strong headache that wouldn't react to Tylenol for about ten days. Then it started reacted and would come back in the morning.

And then I spent all day out in the sun fishing and then the next day I had no headache. Been good since.

Not looking forward to the second shot.
Maroon Elephant
AG
There were some studies done in the UK that said if you have recovered from a full blown case of covid, then the first shot is the only one needed. That shot plus your natural antibodies, essentially maxes out your antibody production. That is to say, the second shot provides zero value to these people.
goatchze
AG
A study of 13 states over a period of six months showed that among adults, those who were fully vaccinated made up only 4% percent of hospitalizations.

Well, the graphic didn't link right. It's in this article.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/19/health/florida-man-inspires-covid-vaccinations/index.html

Partially vaccinated make up 5.7% of hospitalizations, per the graphic above. That's compared to 4% for fully vaccinated, and 87% for unvaccinated.

But, you have to control for populations which the author and the graphic above do not do. Otherwise it looks like being partially vaxxed is about as good as being fully vaxxed.

There are 180mm Americans that are fully vaccinated, 30mm that are partially vaccinated, and 120mm unvaccinated.

Ignoring age and natural immunity, adjusting for population means that you are four to five times less likely to be hospitalized if you are partially vaccinated as compared to unvaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated, that number is closer to 30.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.