CDC - Novavax participants now considered vaccinated

4,549 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hbtheduce
sweet00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are the residents thoughts on this solution. Will it be more broad preventing or impacted by variation? Riskiness of the tech?
Bonfire1996
AG
It's the vax all the smart, think-for-themselves, research based docs have been waiting for. Traditional vax made from a benign portion of actual Covid designed to build immunity the traditional way.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
What is the difference between this and J&J?
Duncan Idaho
Player To Be Named Later said:

What is the difference between this and J&J?

J&j used a virus to get the genetic material that is used by your ribosomes to manufacture the spike protein into your cell. Your cells then manufacture a bunch of the spike protein

End result, you have a bunch of spike proteins floating around your body.

Novavax uses cells from moths to produce a bunch of spike proteins in a lab. They then isolate those spike proteins and inject them into your body.

End result, you have a munch of spike proteins floating around in your body.

Novavax has a secret sauce that is extrated from the bark of a tree. Through a mechanism I don't fullly understand, This substance enhances your immune response and requires few spike proteins to illicit a similar response level.

It is interesting tech that seems to work.
fightingfarmer09
I'm confused by the OP.

If they took a vaccine then they are vaccinated.

Are you suggesting that people that go out and get a vaccine should be sorted into tiers?

If someone comes to the US from Russia are they no longer considered vaccinated because they didn't take the Pfizer?

This is the insanity that sparked all of these protests and resulted in stalled vaccination rates.
sweet00
Not suggesting anything. Just stating that before now the folks in the trial were not considered vaccinated. Now they are. Novavax is still in approval process and not available to everyone.

I'm just asking here any expert thoughts on its performance relative to other jabs.
ham98
sweet00 said:

Not suggesting anything. Just stating that before now the folks in the trial were not considered vaccinated. Now they are. Novavax is still in approval process and not available to everyone.

I'm just asking here any expert thoughts on its performance relative to other jabs.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/us-clinical-trial-results-show-novavax-vaccine-safe-prevents-covid-19

Phase 3 trials showed good efficacy
planoaggie123
AG
Looks like really mild symptoms just from shot too which is nice.
ham98
which makes sense. It's not programming your cells to make anything. It's just harvested spike protein attached to an adjuvant which has the purpose of signaling the immune system to respond. It also doesn't require super cooled storage.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
What's the realistic timeline on this?
KidDoc
AG
Good data so far but not sure how much data was gathered during alpha vs delta waves.

I'm glad to see they already have 12+ year olde enrolled although only 2200 patients. It would be nice to have options without the risk of myocarditis in teens.

This tech sounds very similar to most new vaccines like Prevnar and Gardisil.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigtruckguy3500
Bonfire1996 said:

It's the vax all the smart, think-for-themselves, research based docs have been waiting for. Traditional vax made from a benign portion of actual Covid designed to build immunity the traditional way.
Except not really.
Jbob04
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

My doctor thinks it will be available after the first of the year. Not sure if he knows or is just guessing.
Caliber
AG
Jbob04 said:

Killin Me Smalls said:

My doctor thinks it will be available after the first of the year. Not sure if he knows or is just guessing.
He's guessing based on the same info as the rest of us who have followed Novavax.

Was supposed to go for EUA in May. Got pushed to June then July. Then they punted to late Q3 and then pushed to Q4...

So guessing availability after the first of the year is the safe bet based on the info we know today.
Get Off My Lawn
Pretty sure this isn't going to move the needle for black Americans, latin americans, or healthy young conservatives for whom this has now developed into a freedom issue.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Is this the one being produced in College Station?
Duncan Idaho
Get Off My Lawn said:

Pretty sure this isn't going to move the needle for black Americans, latin americans, or healthy young conservatives for whom this has now developed into a freedom issue.

Not all of this group by any means but I think a non zreo number of them will rationalize waiting to take this vaccine as meeting their commitment to protecting their freedoms and that they are taking this vaccine by choice, not mandate. After all they aren't anti-vax, they are anti-this(Pfizer, moderna,j&j)-vax.
El Chupacabra
Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Not all of this group by any means but I think a non zreo number of them will rationalize waiting to take this vaccine as meeting their commitment to protecting their freedoms and that they are taking this vaccine by choice, not mandate. After all they aren't anti-vax, they are anti-this(Pfizer, moderna,j&j)-vax.

What about the blacks and 'Latins'? What's it going to take to get them to take the vaccine?
Get Off My Lawn
El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

What about the blacks and 'Latins'? What's it going to take to get them to take the vaccine?
Crazy thought here: stop trying to control / manipulate / coerce others and let them do what they want.
Duncan Idaho
El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

All of the Latinos I know are vaccinated. Granted I grew up in a middle class predominantly Hispanic area that was absolutely devastated by the virus before the vaccine were available. So they all rushed out to get it.

I am not close enough to the black experience to provide any insight.
KidDoc
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

All of the Latinos I know are vaccinated. Granted I grew up in a middle class predominantly Hispanic area that was absolutely devastated by the virus before the vaccine were available. So they all rushed out to get it.

I see a LOT of poor minority families that refuse COVID vaccine. It is so odd that the two major demographics that refuse vaccines are poor minorities and white conservatives.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
El Chupacabra
Get Off My Lawn said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Crazy thought here: stop trying to control / manipulate / coerce others and let them do what they want.
Oh, I agree with you. There should be zero mandates regarding anything Covid 19. The guy I quoted, I'll assume he is very pro mask and vax mandates.
El Chupacabra
KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

I see a LOT of poor minority families that refuse COVID vaccine. It is so odd that the two major demographics that refuse vaccines are poor minorities and white conservatives.

I know we're not supposed to get political, since covid is not a political subject, but do you think there will ever be vax mandates for food stamps (or whatever they're called now) or other taxpayer funded 'social' programs?
harge57
AG
KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And PHDs

https://unherd.com/thepost/the-most-vaccine-hesitant-education-group-of-all-phds/
KidDoc
AG
El Chupacabra said:

KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

I know we're not supposed to get political, since covid is not a political subject, but do you think there will ever be vax mandates for food stamps (or whatever they're called now) or other taxpayer funded 'social' programs?
Nope.

The left would never pass something like that as it would be viewed as racists and restricting benefits. The right would never pass a mandate.

KidDoc
AG
harge57 said:

KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And PHDs

Yeah people love to trot that study out but there is no information about what they are PHDs in. I do know 96%+ of medical doctors are vaccinated.

All the PHD parents I see are vaccinated but they are mostly STEMI.
GeographyAg
AG
KidDoc said:

harge57 said:

KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And PHDs

Yeah people love to trot that study out but there is no information about what they are PHDs in. I do know 96%+ of medical doctors are vaccinated.

I'd like to see that info, too. Most of the PhDs I know are crazy professor types I'd never really rely on for actual medical info. My uncle is one who has a PhD in business and believes in all kinds of alt-med strangeness. They tend to be very highly focused on one thing, and then think they know a lot about everything, imho.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
harge57
AG
It doesn't state what the people with Masters are educated in either.

They are not saying medical doctors are hesitant. It's saying people with PHDs are hesitant. Medical doctors are obviously in a very high risk group for exposure and most have pretty much been mandated to take one.

It is a very odd phenomenon of who is reluctant to take the vaccine just like you stated earlier.

I won't take it as I have natural antibodies and am a healthy young adult. No reason to introduce another factor IMO. I am also very reluctant to take a Tylenol though so...
redcrayon
AG
GeographyAg said:

KidDoc said:

harge57 said:

KidDoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

El Chupacabra said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And PHDs

I'd like to see that info, too. Most of the PhDs I know are crazy professor types I'd never really rely on for actual medical info. My uncle is one who has a PhD in business and believes in all kinds of alt-med strangeness. They tend to be very highly focused on one thing, and then think they know a lot about everything, imho.
The jokes just write themselves.
Zobel
AG
https://coronavirus.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-PhDs-are-the-most-vaccine-resistant-group-https-www-nationalreview-com-corner-the-most-vaccine-hesita-1
KidDoc
AG
Zobel said:

https://coronavirus.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-PhDs-are-the-most-vaccine-resistant-group-https-www-nationalreview-com-corner-the-most-vaccine-hesita-1
I dunno Zobel why would you exclude people on a facebook survey that self-identify as attack helicopters? Seems legit...

94chem
The 8 PhD's on my team are all vaccinated, and we're all early adapters.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
hbtheduce
AG
I'm much more likely to take a vaccine that uses traditional mechanisms for immune response. My natural immunity should last be a year or two longer to see if this how this performs in longer trials.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.