Chest

3,280 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mark Fairchild
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What otc meds can work better than mucinex to break up what ever is in my chest? I don't have much there, but it just feels like someone punched me in the chest and a small unproductive cough.
88planoAg
AG
Do you have a pulse ox? What is your oxygen level?
Fitch
AG
Childhood / teenage asthma chiming in. Most effective thing I found is deep breathing in hot steam and work with gravity, i.e. change your orientation (lay down, whatever) to get that crap to drain out. Staying vertical all the time keeps it low in the lungs.
ChrisTheClassic
AG
If you have COVID-19 possibly do not go sit in a stream shower it will make it way worse. I cannot stress this enough. Check your oxygen and if you think at all it could be COVID-19 related do not take hot showers
CAR96
AG
I did an at home test on Monday the 13th that said positive, then a test on Tuesday by Walgreens drive thru testing that came back negative, then another test Wednesday (take home test bought from HEB) that was positive. Then got the antibody infusion on Thursday. This Saturday the 18th I took another test that will give me the results in 2-3 days.

I only felt like a bad cold / sinus mild cough starting on Sept 10. It lasted until the 13th then I have felt pretty good with only a mild chest cough....no wheezing ,etc.

I am able to get up and move, never been weak. Mildly tired, but not in the last 3-4 days. Taking OTC mucinex..etc that has guaifenesin to try and break up what may be there.
88planoAg
AG
CAR96 said:

I did an at home test on Monday the 13th that said positive, then a test on Tuesday by Walgreens drive thru testing that came back negative, then another test Wednesday (take home test bought from HEB) that was positive. Then got the antibody infusion on Thursday. This Saturday the 18th I took another test that will give me the results in 2-3 days.

I only felt like a bad cold / sinus mild cough starting on Sept 10. It lasted until the 13th then I have felt pretty good with only a mild chest cough....no wheezing ,etc.

I am able to get up and move, never been weak. Mildly tired, but not in the last 3-4 days. Taking OTC mucinex..etc that has guaifenesin to try and break up what may be there.
Get a pulse ox and determine your current O2 level. I know you are looking for symptom relief but you need to know your O2 level if you are experiencing tightness in the chest.
ChrisTheClassic
AG
Agree with above. Check o2, because it can turn bad on you very quickly
CAR96
AG
My O2 Thursday was 97-99. Feels like it's still the same.
Petrino1
Ive had long haul covid symptons for 15 months, and the only thing that helps relieve my symptoms is tylenon sinus severe. Its like 3 different medicines in one. Give it a try.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Also, lay on your stomach and deep breathe for5-7 minutes. Do this three to four times a day. Keep testing your Oxygen. Anything below 94 and you need to call your doctor. We checked our numbers two to three times a day.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
rptsAg03
When I had it, I had no cough, then out of nowhere a painful cough that felt worse than it actually was beginning around day 4. Not very productive, but I also was not actually that congested. It was a weird cough, and it hurt, but it resolved over the next week. Took some robitussin DM on the days it seemed the most aggravating, but it never turned into anything serious. Thankfully. Good luck to you! Hang in there.
AgLiving06
CAR96 said:

Sounds about like what I had. Not bad congestion but annoying enough.

It took me about 2 weeks to get rid of all of the congestion.

I picked up some cold and flu with pseudoephedrine and would take that an hour before bed to make sure I slept. Did that for a couple days and I was clear.

I'd give that a try.
bigtruckguy3500
Not sure if you have true chest congestion, but nebulized N-acetylcysteine is a very potent mucolytic. It also has a very potent odor. Not OTC, but if you know someone with a nebulizer you can borrow and can get someone to prescribe it, it'll help (if you have chest congestion).

Also, make sure that decongestant is actually Pseudoephedrine, and not ephedrine HCL. The former actually works, the latter barely does anything.
Duncan Idaho
Wodanaz
AG
CAR96 said:

What otc meds can work better than mucinex to break up what ever is in my chest? I don't have much there, but it just feels like someone punched me in the chest and a small unproductive cough.

NAC
CAR96
AG
NAC?
SueAggie93
AG
NAC is N-Acetyl Cysteine a supplement recently pulled off Amazon..but it's online in speciality type web stores.
Wodanaz
AG
https://pinestreetclinic.com/products/integrative-therapeutics-nac-600-mg-60-capsules?_pos=2&_sid=02dbe2e5c&_ss=r

Twice a day. If you're a bigger person do the 900mg.
hphillips10
Clear lungs…it worked way better than anything else for us. Also, check out reville's posts here or dr louis coates on fb for more info.
CAR96
AG
Clear lungs… ? That is the goal, is it also a product medicine?
Jabin
SueAggie93 said:

NAC is N-Acetyl Cysteine a supplement recently pulled off Amazon..but it's online in speciality type web stores.
Walmart also still carries it in pill form.
TX05CCHH
AG
Why is the cdc or fda pulling all these antioxidant and anti-inflammatory medicines that are helping people? NAC, ivermectin, hydrox, now regulating which states get the monoclonal antibodies. It truly feels like the government doesn't want people to get better.
Duncan Idaho
TX05CCHH said:

Why is the cdc or fda pulling all these antioxidant and anti-inflammatory medicines that are helping people? NAC, ivermectin, hydrox, now regulating which states get the monoclonal antibodies. It truly feels like the government doesn't want people to get better.

You can still get Oreos
CAR96
AG
Ordered NAC online and took my first pill today. Hoping to get some chest congestion and maybe some head congestion broken up.
aggiebrad94
AG
Google "breathing exercises for COVID." The one by the British doc is great.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hope you're better. Wife had the same thing. Took about a week after having Covid and getting over it, to finally feel better. We kept doing the breathing exercises on her stomach and exercise. She just pushed through it. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
cc_ag92
AG
Do these look like the ones others have used? Johns Hopkins

I mentioned my BIL's family in another thread. One of them has been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and another is still at home, but really struggling to breathe deeply. She's young (28) and fit and didn't buy a Pulse Ox, but said she would go to an urgent care today to get checked. If they send her home, should I suggest breathing exercises like this? Would they be helpful or harmful for someone who has been admitted?
Mark Fairchild
AG
The breathing exercises are worth it! I am convinced that doing them religiously for 5-7 minutes 4 times a day kept our lungs functionally viable! Seriously, it is very important! All the hospitals use this method if at all possible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.