Taste and Smell Trick

3,898 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TulsAg
discobrob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I lost my taste and smell from covid. A friend insisted I try the orange trick. He personally had helped 5 people regain taste and smell. I was skeptical and was sure I was being pranked. I googled it. Doctors say it doesn't work. Or at least there are no studies that say it works. I tried it and didn't do it just right because I doubted it would help. It didn't work. I got fed up tonight and tried it for real. I now can taste and smell.

They say it doesn't work. Al I know is I couldn't taste or smell but now I can.

If you're desperate enough, char an orange black over an open flame. Not grey. Black all the way. Cut it in half. Mix it up with a handful of brown sugar. Eat it, peel and all. Don't just chew it. Swallow it. At some point, it triggers taste and smell. I had to eat almost half the orange before it worked. I don't know why or how. And I don't know if it works for everyone. But the list of people we know that have had the same experience is growing. It's gross but if you're desperate enough, give it a try.
spherical
AG
Buddy, the curse is only lifted if you copy/paste back to facebook.
Mathguy64
AG
I hear if you swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon while snorting a tide pod it works too.
discobrob
AG
Say what you want. It fixed me up. If you're desperate, it's worth a shot. Just trying to be helpful.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I'm on day 6 of COVID and man the no smell or taste is freaky.

I sure do eat healthier though…no wasted carbs

I've been eating everything in freezer we'd probably never eat
wessimo
AG
Did you try rubbing ivermectin in your nostrils?

(J/k don't do that)
hamean02
AG
discobrob said:

Say what you want. It fixed me up. If you're desperate, it's worth a shot. Just trying to be helpful.
hey im all for suggestions to give to friends.
Al Bula
AG
Try this one weird trick to reclaim taste and smell!!!

Doctors hate him!!!
discobrob
AG
Haha, right? I don't understand why people react that way. If you think it's stupid, maybe just move on? It's not hurting anyone, and it's worth a shot. Weeks of no taste and smell takes its toll.
spherical
AG
discobrob said:

Haha, right? I don't understand why people react that way. If you think it's stupid, maybe just move on? It's not hurting anyone, and it's worth a shot. Weeks of no taste and smell takes its toll.

I didn't really attempt to process the content of your post- but you have to admit that it follows a flow and style similar to a chain letter and "one weird trick" article in one
DeangeloVickers
AG
I tried it this AM and no worky for me

discobrob
AG
Sorry. I tried it once and didn't do it exactly right because I thought my buddies were messing with me. It didn't work. Tried it again a week later, did it exactly right, and it worked. No guarantees I guess.
PatAg
AG
Is it possible that if you tried it a week later, you were about to regain those sense anyways?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Wife has been without taste for a month. We will try and check back.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Mark Fairchild
AG
Well, blackened the orange, wife ate the entire thing, mixing in with brown sugar. Been about 10 minutes, nothing. Not saying it doesn't work, it just didn't for her. She said it was worth a try.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
discobrob
AG
Very possible. I could not smell or taste toothpaste or smell my deodorant before. Immediately after I could.
West Point Aggie
AG
discobrob said:

Very possible. I could not smell or taste toothpaste or smell my deodorant before. Immediately after I could.

So you could have been stinking up the place and not known it! Now you don't have to "offend"
Let’s Go Brandon!
discobrob
AG
My biggest fear!
94chem
Get enough carcinogens from the orange peel to last 10 years.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Ag In Ok
AG
Didn't try it but we did test smell pepper corns several times a day for about 10-30 seconds at a time. Nothing complicated. Just thinking / remembering the scent. I know its just practice, but i think it helps. Slowly coming back.
TexAg2001
AG
I guess I'm lucky. I completely lost sense of smell on 2nd day of symptoms and taste became muted, but I never fully lost it. Both came back fully after about 2 weeks.

I managed to lose about 10 pounds simply because I had no interest in eating. I've always heard that you first "eat" with your nose, but now I believe it. Not being able to smell the food crushed any desire I had to eat it.
FincAg
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Didn't try it but we did test smell pepper corns several times a day for about 10-30 seconds at a time. Nothing complicated. Just thinking / remembering the scent. I know its just practice, but i think it helps. Slowly coming back.

Did the same with peppermint extract twice a day. Meat to me would taste metallic and smell like trash while chewing. So I would take a big whiff of the burger before each bite, and by the time I was finished it tasted better and smelled like a burger.
Bonfire97
AG
This is an interesting article about smell "retraining" I found from the Cleveland Clinic website. It discusses using essential oil "basic" scents to regenerate the nerve pathways.

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/treating-smell-loss-in-covid-19-patients/
TulsAg
AG
Bonfire97 said:

This is an interesting article about smell "retraining" I found from the Cleveland Clinic website. It discusses using essential oil "basic" scents to regenerate the nerve pathways.

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/treating-smell-loss-in-covid-19-patients/

FWIW, this has worked for me (I think). Hard to know whether it was passage of time, the scent training, or a combination of both. But there are several articles from credible sources like the Cleveland Clinic that says it seems to work in some cases. Simple to try.

This is the kit that I used, in case anyone is interested: MOX Smell Training Kit, 4 Essential Oils, Olfactory Regeneration
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.