Remdesivir study shows lack of clinical benefit

2,507 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Not a Bot
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

No clinical benefit was observed from the use of remdesivir in patients who were admitted to hospital for COVID-19, were symptomatic for more than 7 days, and required oxygen support.

Originally posted in the politics forum, but this is definitely some thing that needs to be here.

48 center study based in Europe. Published in the Lancet. Will try to find a direct link.

Not a Bot
AG
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00485-0/fulltext
billydean05
I heard Dr. Seth Sullivan talk at a meeting about a year ago now, touting the great results of Remdesivir and how much better the treatment was getting. Turns out his information was false?
Duncan Idaho
Given after 7 days and already requiring O2?

I look forward to the ivermectin crowd vigorously defending this drug by debunking the study as being flawed since it was given so late
planoaggie123
AG
Seems reasonable that neither is a reasonable study? Waiting 7 days after symptoms to start doing anything about it seems like an awfully long time.

Maybe they are looking for a drug that will battle the most severe hospitalizations but seems like earlier preventative is what we should really be looking towards (that + vaccines).
aggiebrad94
AG
I thought it was well known this is a EARLY treatment option.
Not a Bot
AG
Remdesivir is only given in the hospital, as far as I know. Most people don't go to the hospital until symptoms have been going on for several days. For most people, it is day 5 to 6 of symptoms or later when their oxygen really starts dropping.

The odds of somebody being admitted to the hospital, not being on oxygen, and being less than seven days of symptoms is pretty low. The vast majority of people getting it fit into the category of the ineffective group.
Not a Bot
AG
Also consider administration delays due to supply issues. When we have it in stock, it is sometimes being given to people who are outside the effective window because they've been waiting forever.
Not a Bot
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

I thought it was well known this is a EARLY treatment option.

I think the initial study showed it was effective in hospitalized patients requiring small amounts of oxygen but not ICU care. This study is a big walk back from that, at least as far as I can tell.
planoaggie123
AG
Do you think it should be given pre-hospital? Sort of like monoclonal antibodies?

You mention in your next post "outside effective window"....what is that window?

Just curious.
01agtx
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I look forward to the ivermectin crowd vigorously defending this drug by debunking the study as being flawed since it was given so late

The ivermectin crowd has known for a while that this drug has a high likelyhood of killing your kidneys.
ShinerDunk93
AG
Well I think in the original studies to get it approved it didn't really change the death statistics, it just showed a reduced days to recover for hospitalized patients. Which is something.......but not really much.
Yesterday
AG
Got it on my 7th day while on o2 with pneumonia.
petebaker

Skillet Shot
Duncan Idaho said:

I look forward to the ivermectin crowd vigorously defending this drug by debunking the study as being flawed since it was given so late .

I have not researched remdesevir in detail so I do not know if the treatment was originally approved for as an early stage or late stage drug. I just know that it is extremely expensive and had lackluster results, yet was immediately approved by FDA.

Ivermectin, on the other hand, is cheap, has had positive results in trial that need further research to be conclusive but has been mocked and ridiculed by the FDA.

So let's say we agree that ivermectin and remdesevir are both ineffective treatments. One is extremely expensive and gets immediate FDA approval. The other is cheap and gets mocked by FDA. I don't think you made the point you tried to make.
Not a Bot
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Do you think it should be given pre-hospital? Sort of like monoclonal antibodies?

You mention in your next post "outside effective window"....what is that window?

Just curious.

Monoclonal antibodies have shown to be effective. There has not been, to my knowledge, a trial that has shown remdesivir has any benefit as an outpatient treatment.
cone
AG
not surprising
jlAG97
I was hospitalized on day 13 of Covid with Pnuemonia, and was told there that Remdisiver was only given to patients with COVID 10 days or less..
bay fan
S
Skillet Shot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I look forward to the ivermectin crowd vigorously defending this drug by debunking the study as being flawed since it was given so late .

I have not researched remdesevir in detail so I do not know if the treatment was originally approved for as an early stage or late stage drug. I just know that it is extremely expensive and had lackluster results, yet was immediately approved by FDA.

Ivermectin, on the other hand, is cheap, has had positive results in trial that need further research to be conclusive but has been mocked and ridiculed by the FDA.

So let's say we agree that ivermectin and remdesevir are both ineffective treatments. One is extremely expensive and gets immediate FDA approval. The other is cheap and gets mocked by FDA. I don't think you made the point you tried to make.

Pretty sure the FDA was mocking the idiots who took it upon themselves to use animal product in wrong doses and ended up calling poison control which quite honestly deserves mocking. It wasn't the drug, it was the people.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
bay fan said:

Skillet Shot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Pretty sure the FDA was mocking the idiots who took it upon themselves to use animal product in wrong doses and ended up calling poison control which quite honestly deserves mocking. It wasn't the drug, it was the people.
Should the FDA be mocking anyone? Also, their cute little "tweet" was pretty vague if the goal was to only mock those getting sick from taking too much of the Tractor Supply paste. And the tweet spread like wildfire, as if by intention, mocking anyone on social media and elsewhere who think there is something to Ivermectin as a prophylactic or treatment...when there are many worldwide doctors who believe in it. It was a huge spiking of the football by countless people who claim to KNOW that Ivermectin is useless. Most of these people seemingly not realizing that it is an AMAZING medicine for countless humans across the globe.

The FDA has really showed their ass with a lot of this.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Not a Bot
AG
And right on queue, Gilead says they've completed Stage III trials of outpatient treatment and says it is highly effective. They report 80+% reduction in hospitalization among high-risk individuals. Requires three days of infusions.

https://www.gilead.com/news-and-press/press-room/press-releases/2021/9/veklury-remdesivir-significantly-reduced-risk-of-hospitalization-in-highrisk-patients-with-covid19

Double blind placebo RCT.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.