Every ICU in Texas is Full

16,607 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Just like the unvaccinated scream/think "my immune system" is better. Well, history has shown the human immune system, while amazing, usually left people dead by 40 until vaccines and other modern medical advances came about.

Not to derail, but these things improved life expectancy far more than vaccines:
- availability of clean water
- improvements in living conditions
- improvements in personal hygiene

Vaccines are available in the developing world but those 3 are not, and life expectancies remain relatively low.

Not disputing that they helped, but they're not the single or even most important reason for life expectancy increases.
cone
AG
Fenrir said:

I had a family member unable to get an icu transfer 2 months ago when covid new cases were a quarter of what they currently are state wide and hospitalizations an even smaller fraction of what it currently is.

I'm quite confident that covid is making things worse. I'm also quite confident there is an issue that predates this current covid wave and once this wave goes away people will go back to not caring about the issue publicly.

100%
Old RV Ag
AG
Phat32 said:

Quote:

Just like the unvaccinated scream/think "my immune system" is better. Well, history has shown the human immune system, while amazing, usually left people dead by 40 until vaccines and other modern medical advances came about.

Not to derail, but these things improved life expectancy far more than vaccines:

Vaccines are available in the developing world but those 3 are not, and life expectancies remain relatively low.

Not disputing that they helped, but they're not the single or even most important reason for life expectancy increases.
All things that take away external factors that the immune system can't fully take care of.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Yep. Just looked and we are full capacity and holding multiple vents in ER.

Thanks for looking!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ranger222
AG
If you don't want to believe an actual medical professional telling you the situation, here is another one from a week ago on CBS this morning, describing how they could not get proper care for a cancer patient in El Campo, Texas.

This is the exact scenario we all feared and has now come to be. You may not need treatment because of COVID, but you will now not receive the optimal care because of it and could experience a worsened outcome. This is how this situation effects everybody.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-covid-patients-overfill-hospitals/
fightingfarmer09
I actually live in this area, so two things come to mind.

Why did this sick person go to El Campo Hospital and not Memorial in Sugarland, which is always highly recommended for serious issues?

Second our hospital filled up because the massive influx of illegal immigrants into the area. We have 2-3 high speed chases a week from traffickers, and the federal government is releasing all illegals into the states with optional vaccinations (around 40% refuse) and even positive for Covid.

So this sucks, but we have a MAJOR issue that the government has deemed nonexistent and continues to pour gasoline on daily.
Gordo14
fightingfarmer09 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

TxAg05 said:

It happens every day.

You say this like it's a fact. Do you know where this is happening so I can report them? Because prior to COVID no hospital worked that way, and the medical board would probably like to know if it's happening now.

If you have been paying attention to the various medical professionals that have been so vocal the last 18 months it wouldn't surprise you one bit.

We are 2-3 years from having to list your political party for a doctor to agree to treat you.

It's not that shocking.

Yeah, let's talk about how you are actually the real victim here.
waitwhat?
Johns Hopkins reports 549 open ICU beds in Texas as of yesterday: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/hospitalization-7-day-trend/texas

Also still have several hundred fewer staffed beds than during the winter peak.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
GeographyAg
AG
Phat32 said:

Quote:

You definitely are derailing, and with full-fledged anti-vaccine propaganda. I recognize those arguments from all the years I've dealt with it.

Tell me this: How is it we have basically gotten rid of polio world-wide? What about smallpox? Cowpox? Are the cows using good personal hygiene?
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
Phat32
AG
Two different conversations. Of course getting rid of specific diseases with vaccination has occurred. We were discussing massive increases in life expectancy.

I will answer a question with a question:

Do you think that life expectancy increased dramatically just due to vaccines? All I said was they were not the #1 factor. Vaccines are a wonderful development on the whole.
ramblin_ag02
AG
That's nice. Got a contact at one of these places? The people reporting open beds aren't the ones accepting or refusing patient transfers

Like I said before, I can think of several reasons why the data isn't matching up to the experience of every doctor I know, but this isn't the board for it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
let's get the guys at JHU running that website to call and get a transfer for a covid pneumonia patient from a freestanding to a hospital in the state of Texas

give me a break
TxAg05
AG
I do not know how every other hospital works, but I know this is true for mine. I also know that we take more icu transfers in and have a higher icu capacity than 99% of hospitals in the state.

We have to keep beds open for all the things I mentioned earlier or there would be no hospital to take on these patients.
GAC06
AG
Perhaps it's time to fix this thread like you mentioned earlier.
ORAggieFan
GeographyAg said:

Phat32 said:

Quote:

You definitely are derailing, and with full-fledged anti-vaccine propaganda. I recognize those arguments from all the years I've dealt with it.

Tell me this: How is it we have basically gotten rid of polio world-wide? What about smallpox? Cowpox? Are the cows using good personal hygiene?

I'm extreme pro vaccine, but those are not good comparisons. We've never eradicated a respiring virus via vaccine and we won't with this one. But, we should still get the vaccine as it's benefits are obvious.
KidDoc
AG
I know we are full in Aggieland and have been for weeks. The ORs have also been delaying non emergent surgery if it is expected to require an overnight stay for a least a month.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I have decided to only drink dirty water with a typhoid vaccine shot from now on.
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
Marissa99
RamblingAg and Kiddoc - Thank you so much for all that you're doing to treat patients and save lives during an unprecedented and chaotic time in healthcare. I've always greatly respected our healthcare professionals, but my respect and gratitude for y'all has deepened throughout the pandemic. I'm keeping y'all in my prayers.

I totally believe what you're telling us. And you're right - more than ever, we need to do things like stay healthy and stay on our meds if we take them because unfortunately, optimal care isn't available right now.
beerad12man
AG
Sucks right now. I do feel bad for healthcare professionals, and wish more would have got vaccinated in the last 3 months to help avoid some of this. Even just a 25% reduction in ICU/ hospitalizations would obviously make a big difference

But the good news is, we are a bout to plummet. I know, I've said this for a few weeks now, and didn't quite expect it to get this high. I thought the fall would happen 2-3 weeks earlier than it did. But the indicators are clear and not debatable, now. This is the storm before calm, so to speak, and this will be by far the worst of covid imho compared to any moving forward. We are hitting our lowest transmission rates(if you believe the link below) throughout this whole thing, and that's with minimal mitigation among the vast majority of the population. I do sincerely hope this is the final big wave, and there are some cautiously optimistic reasons to believe that could be the case. I think population immunity is finally going to overtake this, and prevent this big of a spike in the future.

https://covidestim.org/
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

let's get the guys at JHU running that website to call and get a transfer for a covid pneumonia patient from a freestanding to a hospital in the state of Texas

give me a break
I laughed . . . .doctor actively contacting all ICUs with zero success . . . . other doctors chime in confirming what he sees . . . . . it is not to be believed because an junior assistant researcher halfway across the country posted some data that may or may not be correct.

GAC06
AG
More than one source of information on this thread showing the OP to be false. I don't doubt he's having trouble transferring patients. That doesn't mean that "every ICU in Texas is full"
Charpie
AG
As a data person, the data is only as good as the information that's in it. By the time data is entered in any system, it's old. The information that is given to the public..is it updated in real time?
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Is the lack of ICU attainable to any degree to the lack of staff? Or is it 100% because of Covid patients?
YouBet
AG
beerad12man said:

Sucks right now. I do feel bad for healthcare professionals, and wish more would have got vaccinated in the last 3 months to help avoid some of this. Even just a 25% reduction in ICU/ hospitalizations would obviously make a big difference

But the good news is, we are a bout to plummet. I know, I've said this for a few weeks now, and didn't quite expect it to get this high. I thought the fall would happen 2-3 weeks earlier than it did. But the indicators are clear and not debatable, now. This is the storm before calm, so to speak, and this will be by far the worst of covid imho compared to any moving forward. We are hitting our lowest transmission rates(if you believe the link below) throughout this whole thing, and that's with minimal mitigation among the vast majority of the population. I do sincerely hope this is the final big wave, and there are some cautiously optimistic reasons to believe that could be the case. I think population immunity is finally going to overtake this, and prevent this big of a spike in the future.

https://covidestim.org/

Dr. Gottlieb agrees with you.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

As a data person, the data is only as good as the information that's in it. Buy the time data is entered in any system, it's old. The information that is given to the public..is it updated in real time?

Yeah . . .I wish this was not lost on so many people. I get that there is massive confirmation bias at work with this this topic but the correct degree of skepticism is still warranted.

cone
AG
it's been extremely difficult to get transfers going on 9 months now, even during the May/June trough

it's not a matter of the data real time fidelity
aggiemike02
AG
your cognitive dissonance is nothing short of amazing.
GAC06
AG
aggiemike02 said:

Do you know what cognitive dissonance is?

Is this hospital lying?

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/average-daily-new-covid-19-hospitalizations-by-week-monday-sunday/

What is more likely? The hospital is lying about their ICU capacity, or the OP got frustrated and made a false claim?
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

OP got frustrated and made a false claim
You can believe what you want . . . . .we all know where you come from on this topic.

But if it comes down to choosing between doctors and administrators who actually work within and understand the hospital system or random, politically motivated internet posters for real time appraisals of what is going on . . . . . . I think we all know who is going to have a better take.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
GAC06 said:

aggiemike02 said:

Is this hospital lying?

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/average-daily-new-covid-19-hospitalizations-by-week-monday-sunday/

What is more likely? The hospital is lying about their ICU capacity, or the OP got frustrated and made a false claim?
At the risk of delving into the politics side of this, I'm going with the hospital lying one. Based on all of the urgent discussions about staffing shortages i am disinclined to belief TMC's claim that they can truly scale up into phase 3 and beyond. at least not without drastically cutting other essential services. so maybe it is a bit of both. Hospitals not truly being "full" and so they have incentives to show that hey look we aren't in dire straits yet, but also being so close to being actually 100% full that they really don't have capacity to take on transfers. both could technically be correct. just guessing on my part though.

from a data look here is TSA-Q (houston area) looking at cases, covid hospitalizations, and covid ICU patients over the pandemic and then zoomed in to now

Charpie
AG
GAC06 said:

aggiemike02 said:

Is this hospital lying?

The hospital isn't lying because the data could have been true when the numbers were published. When were their numbers published and are they updated in real time?

You calling an actual doctor a liar is a bold move. You have no idea what he's been going through..keyboard warrior.
GAC06
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

OP got frustrated and made a false claim
You can believe what you want . . . . .we all know where you come from on this topic.

But if it comes down to choosing between doctors and administrators who actually work within and understand the hospital system or random, politically motivated internet posters for real time appraisals of what is going on . . . . . . I think we all know who is going to have a better take.

That's why I linked the opinion of hospital administrators. I guess you don't trust them but somehow that makes me politically motivated? For citing facts?
ramblin_ag02
AG
GAC06 said:

Perhaps it's time to fix this thread like you mentioned earlier.
Still haven't received a single contact so I can transfer out my vented COVID patients to any of these hundreds of open ICU beds
tysker
AG
Charpie said:

As a data person, the data is only as good as the information that's in it. By the time data is entered in any system, it's old. The information that is given to the public..is it updated in real time?
So its a credibility issue. Should we believe OP's absolutism or the various other anecdotes and data sources that disagree with OP? Who can the public trust?

This is why OP's statements are so damaging to the public trust. And they are too arrogant to know any better.
GAC06
AG
Charpie said:

GAC06 said:

aggiemike02 said:

Is this hospital lying?

The hospital isn't lying because the data could have been true when the numbers were published. When were their numbers published and are they updated in real time?

You calling an actual doctor a liar is a bold move. You have no idea what he's been going through..keyboard warrior.

Click the link. Good lord.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.