Monoclonal Antibody Infusion

10,789 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KidDoc
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't experience any illness after the infusion. Sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well.
planoaggie123
AG
JB99 said:

How long will I feel like **** after the infusion. It's been about 7 hours so far. I just puked

Don't hold me to it but I think I have heard 24 hours and usually a rough first night included. Hope that's all for you.
bigtruckguy3500
JB99 said:

How long will I feel like **** after the infusion. It's been about 7 hours so far. I just puked
Were you feeling like this before the infusion? If so, probably just COVID doing its thing. If not, I'd imagine that's a pretty uncommon thing. However, at days 8-9 post symptom onset, you likely already have sufficient antibodies in your system that the infusion won't do much for you. At this point your body just needs to recover from the damage and inflammation from COVID and the immune response your body put up to fight it off.
agywife
Jb99 how are you this morning? Hoping for positive progress after the infusion!
Nasreddin
The Biden administration is withholding life saving treatments as a punishment to red state citizens. My daughter was one of those last night. I am thankful that she was able to get the treatment, but the doctor was very worried that they would not be able to continue treating people.
The Covidian is a strange sort: he both relies on “science” and ignores it. Perhaps because it’s not “science” at all, but rather just the TV.
cc_ag92
AG
Does your daughter meet the criteria?
I hope she is well soon.
JB99
AG
agywife said:

Starting to feel better now. Last night was really rough. Very nauseous and lots of coughing. Very hard to sleep, but I made it. Started feeling better around 1 today, so about 24 hours after infusion.

Now my problem is I running out of breath everytime I do anything physical like walking in the house. Anybody know how long this lasts? When do I start getting my lung capacity back?

traxter
JB99 said:

agywife said:

Starting to feel better now. Last night was really rough. Very nauseous and lots of coughing. Very hard to sleep, but I made it. Started feeling better around 1 today, so about 24 hours after infusion.

Now my problem is I running out of breath everytime I do anything physical like walking in the house. Anybody know how long this lasts? When do I start getting my lung capacity back?

I know two folks that had the shortness of breath with minimal activity. One was young (34) and was about 95% back to normal after 2 weeks. The other was mid-forties and took about 3 months till he felt mostly back to where he was before.

woodlees
AG
No, not so far
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
petebaker

Rule Number 32
AG
My parents both got the infusion after testing positive last week, and it seems to have helped them a ton. Neither of them developed anything other than slightly annoying symptoms (loss of taste and cough).
GenericAggie
AG
Trump was treated with this, yes?
KidDoc
AG
GenericAggie said:

Trump was treated with this, yes?

Yes and Abbott
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
David Murphey 2013
AG
Wife and I tested positive with an at-home test Tuesday evening, both BMI's well into the obese category. Requested monoclonal antibodies through Houston Methodist's virtual urgent care and then received a call at 8:15am Wednesday to schedule infusion that day.

We got our infusions 16 hrs after our positive test and on day 2 of symptoms. Each day we've seen substantial improvements and now, 72hr after the treatment, we only appear to have a loss of smell/taste.

I highly recommend this treatment to anyone reading this!
Rexter
I got the infusion yesterday at noon after testing positive Thursday night. Symptoms leading to testing were slight cough, pretty good headache, and very minor fatigue. I would have attributed it to allergies, or something like that.

After getting the infusion and getting home, I got uncontrollable chills. Then I got muscle soreness in the hips, to the point I couldn't lay still. That stuff eased up after about 6 hours. I went to bed around 8, with my wife checking o2 and temp every hour. Temp spiked to 104 and o2 at 90 around 2am. Since then, numbers are back to normal. Temp is 97 and o2 is 95. I feel 100% better than yesterday. Cough is almost gone, no muscle soreness, and the congestion is all in my nose.
planoaggie123
AG
That is wild but that seems (unfortunately) pretty common. Almost an immediate initial turn for the worst followed by a nearly identical quickly turn around for the better. Hope things trend only better from where.
Rexter
Update: I haven't had a fever since the spike of 104. My o2 level has remained in the 95-98 range. I have had the head congestion at a moderate level, but after being outside for 5 hours today, that has subsided to a very slight amount. I still have a double cough every 5-10 minutes, that being slightly productive 50% of the time. Overall, I feel about 80% of normal.

I have several co-morbidities, so I feel very fortunate. I can't say if it is a mild reaction to covid, or if the infusion kept it from being worse. I think I lean toward the infusion, though.
Nixter
AG
Unvaxxed extended family member is Covid + - mid-late 30s, no co-morbidities. Tested positive today. Tried to get an infusion but at first they were told they weren't high-risk (despite months of hectoring that being non-vaccinated is high-risk). So the doctor noted on the request for an infusion that the patient is slightly underweight, hoping that would trigger the opportunity to get an infusion. This time, they couldn't get an infusion because they are underweight and you have to be a certain BMI to get the infusion.

This is super-defeating. There's a solution presented that provides excellent efficacy and recovery and somehow it's not made available to someone who needs it.
planoaggie123
AG
Could the individual claim hypertension or does it have to be documented from previous diagnosis?

Was this doctor in person? Can the individual claim to be a slightly higher weight than they are and then just wear coat / large sweater when going to get infusion? Does infusion site verify??
KidDoc
AG
Nixter said:

Unvaxxed extended family member is Covid + - mid-late 30s, no co-morbidities. Tested positive today. Tried to get an infusion but at first they were told they weren't high-risk (despite months of hectoring that being non-vaccinated is high-risk). So the doctor noted on the request for an infusion that the patient is slightly underweight, hoping that would trigger the opportunity to get an infusion. This time, they couldn't get an infusion because they are underweight and you have to be a certain BMI to get the infusion.

This is super-defeating. There's a solution presented that provides excellent efficacy and recovery and somehow it's not made available to someone who needs it.
It is because the data shows no benefit in people with no risk factors since their risk of bad outcomes with COVID is incredibly small. Why do an infusion with data to show it makes no difference for that patient?

planoaggie123
AG
KidDoc said:

Nixter said:

It is because the data shows no benefit in people with no risk factors since their risk of bad outcomes with COVID is incredibly small. Why do an infusion with data to show it makes no difference for that patient?

But if we have the treatment available why not offer it. I am not saying government pay for it but if the individual wants it and wants to pay for it ($2,000?) what is the harm? Why deny treatment.
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

KidDoc said:

Nixter said:

But if we have the treatment available why not offer it. I am not saying government pay for it but if the individual wants it and wants to pay for it ($2,000?) what is the harm? Why deny treatment.
Because there is a small but real risk of a severe transfusion reaction. Why not put everyone on antibiotics or antidepressants or other drugs that aren't indicated?

It does not seem to make any difference for people with no risk factors so it is no indicated. A doctor who orders it and a bad outcome happens would be in serious legal peril.
planoaggie123
AG
It trying to be cute here but are there not 'small but real' risks related to the vaccine as well yet we blanket mandate for people in his "risk profile"?

Are we talking about an over 1% risk? If so, then maybe I get it.
Nixter
AG
KidDoc said:

Nixter said:

Understand and appreciate the response.

They pursued antibodies because the positive anecdotes are overwhelming. One ER physician I trust (but who is not involved in this situation) who has dealt with Covid patients everyday since the beginning of the pandemic highly recommends it for everyone, implying it significant shortens the duration of the illness in just about anyone who takes it early enough.

I know several who got Covid and, because they weren't at high-risk, just isolated and waited until the disease progressed into borderline dangerous territory before seeking treatment. They all said they regretted having not pursued treatment options, such as monoclonal antibodies, earlier.

At what point is being unvaccinated going to be recognized as high risk?
KidDoc
AG
Nixter said:

KidDoc said:

Nixter said:

Understand and appreciate the response.

They pursued antibodies because the positive anecdotes are overwhelming. One ER physician I trust (but who is not involved in this situation) who has dealt with Covid patients everyday since the beginning of the pandemic highly recommends it for everyone, implying it significant shortens the duration of the illness in just about anyone who takes it early enough.

I know several who got Covid and, because they weren't at high-risk, just isolated and waited until the disease progressed into borderline dangerous territory before seeking treatment. They all said they regretted having not pursued treatment options, such as monoclonal antibodies, earlier.

At what point is being unvaccinated going to be recognized as high risk?
That is an excellent question and I agree it needs to be looked at.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.