Mask RCT demonstrates positive findings

10,600 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jnathan10
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DadHammer said:

Mask use has not stopped the spread one little bit.

It has always been wrong. You cannot mask a public 24/7 - it's idiotic.
This. And before we had everything about Covid-19 politicized to death, WHO and all responsible medical/disease control agencies recommended against widespread public masking to limit the spread of upper respiratory viruses.

That we are even debating this while also doing things like revising the definition of herd immunity radically is a sign of how pathetic our scientific community in the public health sector is now at...its job. Meanwhile, we have known for some time that as with previous outbreaks of upper resp. viruses (such as in 1918), it is secondary bacterial infections that kill the most, and masks...help create more secondary bacterial infections in the 99% of the public that don't wear them properly/change every few hours.
murphyag
AG
SamHou said:

Surgical masks are effective and I see those on about half the people I encounter.

" If only the susceptible wears a face mask with infectious speaking at a distance of 1.5 m, the upper bound drops very significantly; that is, with a surgical mask, the upper bound reaches 90% after 30 min, and, with an FFP2 mask, it remains at about 20% even after 1 h."
I have only worn surgical masks made by Armbrust USA in their Texas factory since summer 2020. Have been travelling by plane for work weekly since summer 2020. When not out at client sites, I've been in the large office building where my company is located. Haven't gotten Covid and I have been exposed many, many times. At this point, I attribute that to me wearing the Armbrust surgical masks. I also haven't had my usual bad cold/sinus infection/upper respiratory infection/stomach bugs since I started wearing a mask in the airport/on planes/in office buildings.
nortex97
AG
murphyag said:

SamHou said:

Surgical masks are effective and I see those on about half the people I encounter.

" If only the susceptible wears a face mask with infectious speaking at a distance of 1.5 m, the upper bound drops very significantly; that is, with a surgical mask, the upper bound reaches 90% after 30 min, and, with an FFP2 mask, it remains at about 20% even after 1 h."
I have only worn surgical masks made by Armbrust USA in their Texas factory since summer 2020. Have been travelling by plane for work weekly since summer 2020. When not out at client sites, I've been in the large office building where my company is located. Haven't gotten Covid and I have been exposed many, many times. At this point, I attribute that to me wearing the Armbrust surgical masks. I also haven't had my usual bad cold/sinus infection/upper respiratory infection/stomach bugs since I started wearing a mask in the airport/on planes/in office buildings.
This is entirely unscientific and frankly illogical. Anecdotal faith in masks like this, is part of the problem today.

65% of influenza and other respiratory viruses are 4 micrometers or smaller. No matter where the mask is from, it's not protecting you from that.
murphyag
AG
Believe what you want, but I haven't been sick with anything at all since summer 2020, which is unheard of for me as I'm in airports, planes, taxis, hotels, different client offices multiple times per week. Been at this for almost 30 years and have never had 1.5 years where I haven't been sick. I always used to think the people in Asian countries were weird for wearing masks when I was over there for work, but not anymore.
Agthatbuilds
murphyag said:

Believe what you want, but I haven't been sick with anything at all since summer 2020, which is unheard of for me as I'm in airports, planes, taxis, hotels, different client offices multiple times per week. Been at this for almost 30 years and have never had 1.5 years where I haven't been sick. I always used to think the people in Asian countries were weird for wearing masks when I was over there for work, but not anymore.

How are Japan and South Korea doing in the current omicron world? Both high masking countries.

GAC06
AG
Just what it says there. Masking is working in Japan because cases are low. They must not be masking in Korea because cases are high and masking works and if it isn't working it's because people aren't masking because masking works.
Bird Poo
AG
murphyag said:

We'll I haven't worn a mask since before COVID and never contracted it. Neither has my entire family. Not sure what point you are making

The best data out there imo are the studies that compare masked schools in FL with unmasked. There was like a 1% effectiveness program something ridiculous.
nortex97
AG
murphyag said:

It's possible you've had it and just didn't know. Same for me, though I've worn masks only sparingly for the first 6 months. Now, even the 'masks for everyone!' Folks are admitting publicly that the cloth masks worn as a sign of concern for your fellow man are useless against upper respiratory viruses.

Frankly, K95's are pretty close to the same level of efficacy, whether made in Texas or not. Sorry, not intended to be 'mean' it is just that the science on this is and has been clear, but there's been a lot of propaganda about it for 2 years now.
Jabin
nortex97 said:

65% of influenza and other respiratory viruses are 4 micrometers or smaller. No matter where the mask is from, it's not protecting you from that.
"This is entirely unscientific and frankly illogical."

Masks don't need to keep the viruses by themselves out - they work if they keep out the water molecules on which the viruses are hitching a ride.
Jabin
Quote:

The best data out there imo are the studies that compare masked schools in FL with unmasked. There was like a 1% effectiveness program something ridiculous.
Why do you say that't the best data?

And aren't there a ton of other variables that could have affected the outcome of those schools? Were those variables listed and controlled in those studies?
nortex97
AG
Jabin said:

nortex97 said:

"This is entirely unscientific and frankly illogical."

Masks don't need to keep the viruses by themselves out - they work if they keep out the water molecules on which the viruses are hitching a ride.
The viruses that are upper respiratory don't have to hitch a ride at a nice temperature like, for instance, HIV on a bodily fluid/water droplet; it's aerosolized. See, The Lancet.

Quote:

The global pandemic of COVID-19 has been associated with infections and deaths among health-care workers. This Viewpoint of infectious aerosols is intended to inform appropriate infection control measures to protect health-care workers. Studies of cough aerosols and of exhaled breath from patients with various respiratory infections have shown striking similarities in aerosol size distributions, with a predominance of pathogens in small particles (<5 m). These are immediately respirable, suggesting the need for personal respiratory protection (respirators) for individuals in close proximity to patients with potentially virulent pathogens. There is no evidence that some pathogens are carried only in large droplets.
Also, for human seasonal coronaviruses the infectious dose of CFU's is much lower than for influenza.
ORAggieFan
murphyag
AG
nortex97 said:

murphyag said:

It's possible you've had it and just didn't know. Same for me, though I've worn masks only sparingly for the first 6 months. Now, even the 'masks for everyone!' Folks are admitting publicly that the cloth masks worn as a sign of concern for your fellow man are useless against upper respiratory viruses.

Frankly, K95's are pretty close to the same level of efficacy, whether made in Texas or not. Sorry, not intended to be 'mean' it is just that the science on this is and has been clear, but there's been a lot of propaganda about it for 2 years now.
I don't wear cloth masks and have never claimed they are effective. So, not sure why you are replying to me with a Twitter link about cloth masks.

I'm part of an antibody study and so far all of my lab work results have indicated that I haven't had Covid yet. That is the main reason that I attribute the Armbrust surgical masks as having worked effectively for me.
GAC06
AG
I made it almost two years without wearing masks, going to parties, bars, restaurants, and traveling all over the country without getting covid. Then I got it from an in-law that stayed at our house and had a slight cough for a few days. I attribute that to the fact that I have brown hair.
murphyag
AG
GAC06 said:

I made it almost two years without wearing masks, going to parties, bars, restaurants, and traveling all over the country without getting covid. Then I got it from an in-law that stayed at our house and had a slight cough for a few days. I attribute that to the fact that I have brown hair.
I assume you are quite a bit younger than me based on some of the trip pictures you've posted in the past. It is a known fact at this point that younger people are lower risk for having serious illness with Covid, so not surprised you had an easy time with it. Not sure why you are bothered by an older person sharing what has worked personally for them to keep from catching Covid that you feel the need to post a smart azz comment. This is supposed to be a forum to share info about Covid and virus related issues. I will never understand why someone like you wastes your time on this forum since this appears to be a non-issue for you.
GAC06
AG
Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. Masks don't work. I hope you continue to avoid covid.
nortex97
AG
murphyag said:

nortex97 said:

murphyag said:

I don't wear cloth masks and have never claimed they are effective. So, not sure why you are replying to me with a Twitter link about cloth masks.

I'm part of an antibody study and so far all of my lab work results have indicated that I haven't had Covid yet. That is the main reason that I attribute the Armbrust surgical masks as having worked effectively for me.

I'm not sure why you waited until 2 responses in to indicate you are part of an antibody study, ahem, Barnes, but whatever. The point is that you can feel free to attribute the surgical mask of a particular brand to your lack of covid, and I'll continue to trust my immune system for the reason I am similarly infection free. Masks, and brands of masks even less so, have zero scientific evidence to prevent infection for both of us.
murphyag
AG
In my first comment I said that I hadn't caught Covid yet. No big conspiracy here. The post topic is about masks, not lab studies. Sorry I didn't immediately inform you of the precise manner which led to the knowledge of my lack of previous Covid infections.
jakeaggie84
AG
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-updates-mask-guidelines-know-n95-kn95-masks-rcna12302

CDC finally changing their tune on mask. N95 only thing that helps.
Philip J Fry
AG
La County taking this to heart and now requiring all masks be 3ply surgical or n95. idiots.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
J. Walter Weatherman
murphyag said:

In my first comment I said that I hadn't caught Covid yet. No big conspiracy here. The post topic is about masks, not lab studies. Sorry I didn't immediately inform you of the precise manner which led to the knowledge of my lack of previous Covid infections.

Have been going to the office, gym, eating at restaurants, traveling and basically living life as normal etc for the last 2 years, only wearing a mask when I had to in airports or other places where it's been required, and haven't gotten it either. Keep ignoring the data if you want but don't imply that everyone else is selfish for not wanting to participate in pointless activities.
Philip J Fry
AG
Have there been any studies on effects from long term use of these masks?

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/could-wearing-a-mask-for-long-periods-be-detrimental-to-health-628400/amp

Quote:

The potential for masks to reduce oxygen levels in the wearer are important not only because this can lead to passing out, but also because they have been linked to reduced natural immunity.

"In essence, your mask may very well put you at an increased risk of infections, and if so, having a much worse outcome," he wrote.

From the outset of the pandemic, it has been assumed that the coronavirus behaves like other respiratory viruses in terms of spread as well as symptoms. However, Blaylock points to a 2012 study titled, "The use of masks and respirators to prevent transmission of influenza: A systematic review of the scientific evidence," which looked at 17 of the best studies in the field and concluded: "None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection."

Huh, you don't say. Not only do they not work, they are detrimental to your health. So "**** you" to anyone who says I'm selfish for not wearing one. Imagine what that's doing to your organs throughout the day if you're so low on O2 you have to take headache pills.

MiMi
S
Quote:

Have there been any studies on effects from long term use of these masks?

Pan Afr Med J. 2021 Jul 16;39:203
Oxygen saturation and perceived discomfort with face mask types, in the era of COVID-19: a hospital-based cross-sectional study
Nwosu ADG, Ossai EN, Onwuasoigwe O, Ahaotu F

Abstract
Introduction: the COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated the prolonged use of facemasks by healthcare workers. Facemask non-compliance has been largely blamed on discomfort associated with the mask, and apprehension regarding potential health hazards such as asphyxia from mask usage. We sought to evaluate the impact of different respiratory mask types on the comfort of healthcare workers and their arterial oxygen saturation during periods of active clinical duty.
Methods: we conducted a cross-sectional study on healthcare workers donning different types of facemasks in the normal course of duty. Objective non-invasive determination of arterial oxygen saturation of each participant was done using a portable pulse oximeter. Subjective self-assessment of global discomfort was scored by means of a 11-point numerical scale from 0 (no discomfort) to 10 (worst discomfort imaginable). The user's perceived elements of the discomfort were also evaluated. A statistical significance was accepted when P <0.05.
Results: seventy-six healthcare workers completed the study, and wore the masks for periods ranging from 68-480 minutes. The discomfort experienced with the use of the N95 mask; 4.3 (2.0) was greater than the surgical mask; 2.7 (1.8); P=0.001. No significant change in arterial oxygen saturation was observed with the use of either of the mask types. The tight strapping of the N95 mask was perceived as a contributor to the discomfort experienced with mask usage; P=0.009.
Conclusion: the N95 masks imposed greater discomfort than the surgical masks, but neither of the masks impacted on the arterial oxygen saturation of the healthcare workers.
Philip J Fry
AG
Interesting. I guess Israeli n95 masks are different.

Quote:

And although tight straps or pressure from the mask were considered as potential causes, the evidence pointed to the headaches being caused by reduced blood oxygenation, or an increase in carbon dioxide in the blood

"It is known that the N95 mask, if worn for hours, can reduce blood oxygenation as much as 20%," Blaylock wrote. This, he said, "can lead to a loss of consciousness, as happened to the hapless fellow driving around alone in his car wearing an N95 mask, causing him to pass out, and to crash his car and sustain injuries. I am sure that we have several cases of elderly individuals or any person with poor lung function passing out, hitting their head. This, of course, can lead to death."

And just speaking personally, it takes significantly more effort to breath through a n95 mask than a surgical. Doing that for 10 hours a day cannot be good on your body.
ORAggieFan
Average Guy said:

Philip J Fry said:

La County taking this to heart and now requiring all masks be 3ply surgical or n95. idiots.

I have to travel to la county for business next month. I will switch to Ontario airport, which is outside of LA County and drive in.

The guidelines are for employers to provide employees, not required to wear.
jnathan10
AG
UK government finding last week of no difference in # of COVID absences in schools requiring/using masks and not requiring/using. In line with what Florida found. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59895934

Germany has been requiring N95S masks indoors since Jan-21. Any difference seen on their curves or per capita in the last 12 months?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.