Boosters 8 months after Second Shot

8,678 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by czechy91
dylan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just heard that the Biden administration is going to recommend people get booster shot eight months after their second or last vaccine shot. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/vaccination-booster-shots.html
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Duncan Idaho
Was hoping for 12 month guidance. Just roll it into my annual check up
Fenrir
How much is a booster really going to help if a (or primary) issue is a change in the protein structure like I've seen suggested on here?
Mathguy64
AG
Given the strong immune reaction many of us had to the second shot this will be a tough sell. It put me down hard for 24 hours. Doing that again won't be fun.
GAC06
AG
Some people are starving for "guidance"
thirdcoast
AG
So after 8 months from vaccine roll out, a few months from now, vaccinated people will become non-immunized. Unvaccinated folks with recent natural immunity will be better protected than "vaccinated". They will have to adopt "newly" or "current" vaccination, instead of "vaccinated". At least until 2nd gen vaccines come out that better emulate natural immunity.
AgResearch
AG
They want shots in arms before winter respiratory virus season. Some health reasons (vulnerable populations) and some political reasons (numbers going into midterm elections).
lobopride
Eventually the powers that be will have to change the definition of "fully vaccinated ", which I guess is the point.
I am a slave of Christ
ORAggieFan
There is no data or studies to support this in any way. Get the rest of the world immunized first. Maybe those super at risk here. It's time to accept the virus will be with us forever.
Drip99
AG
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-submission-initial-data-us-fda
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

There is no data or studies to support this in any way. Get the rest of the world immunized first. Maybe those super at risk here. It's time to accept the virus will be with us forever.
The time accept this was January, 2020.
#CertifiedSIP
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
dylan said:

Just heard that the Biden administration is going to recommend people get booster shot eight months after their second or last vaccine shot. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/vaccination-booster-shots.html
or just have natural immunity....
ORAggieFan
That's Phase 1. Still need to get through Phase 3. It's too early to just start giving to everyone. Also, unless hospitals are filled with vaccinated, what's the point?
KidDoc
AG
The hope is that you will get long term immunity after this late booster. I don't believe there is any data to support that at this time.

Many vaccines give long term immunity after a delayed booster. The historical examples include : Hep B, Hep A, DTaP, Polio, Chicken pox, meningitis, HPV.

Letting your immune system start to forget then suddenly reminding it to be active again often leads to long term immunity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KlinkerAg11
AG
Yeah, I'm with you on this.

I'm not sure what the point is of this.

I'm going to need to get a GP I see every year so I can ask them these questions. I would assume a blood test would let you know if it's even necessary.
Capitol Ag
AG
It's been a banner week for this administration. Hate to ask if it could get any worse! <knocks on wood for the sake of everyone>

My question is about those of us vaccinated AND have had Covid. Isn't having Covid and being vaccinated essentially having a booster?
JP_Losman
AG
He's the worst person in the country to advertise and advocate for this kind of thing.
Why not get the Rock or Michael Jordan to lead the recommendations from health department
planoaggie123
AG
Just amazing.

Tons of "hope" / "thoughts" / "pray" on what might happen with a 3rd shot.....BUT.....we somehow KNOW the long-term side effects (or lack thereof) and implications of the shots?

Am I missing something? How can we *know* it is safe long-term but not know short-term efficacy? Is there a reasonable explanation for someone that is not in medicine / science?
Agsrback12
Do you have any reservations about the 6 month timeline that it took to produce this vaccine? Any concerns over mRNA?
chet98
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Just amazing.

Tons of "hope" / "thoughts" / "pray" on what might happen with a 3rd shot.....BUT.....we somehow KNOW the long-term side effects (or lack thereof) and implications of the shots?

Am I missing something? How can we *know* it is safe long-term but not know short-term efficacy? Is there a reasonable explanation for someone that is not in medicine / science?
Not trying to start a fight but why would the long term implications of this shot be any different than that of the seasonal flu? Both are training the immune system to fight a virus. One shot is mRNA while one is not (and some COVID shots are also not mRNA).

Or are the concerns about long term implications solely concerns about the mRNA technology? Because what I've read is that mRNA is the wave of the future.

mRNA as wave of the future
planoaggie123
AG
chet98 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Just amazing.

Not trying to start a fight but why would the long term implications of this shot be any different than that of the seasonal flu? Both are training the immune system to fight a virus. One shot is mRNA while one is not (and some COVID shots are also not mRNA).

Or are the concerns about long term implications solely concerns about the mRNA technology? Because what I've read is that mRNA is the wave of the future.

I welcome debate. Don't look at it as a fight.

I am not a scientist nor do I pretend to be one. You start talking about DNA / cells....you lost me

Thankfully my wife and I and our kids have almost zero risk from COVID so I can wait around to learn more. My parents are older and got the shot and largely at this point I am glad they did.

My basis in my decision is based on raw data that I can digest (# deaths by age / cases) and I see my risk level as VERY low (not zero but very low).

As for your specific question....I guess I don't know why the impacts of this would be any different between the two....I just get confused when we are told to TRUST there are NO long term implications but at the same time we don't know the short term impacts of the shot. Its confusing how we are seemingly more confident in the LT vs the ST.

Maybe there is a very reasonable explanation but my initial reaction is "...huh?"
ORAggieFan
This guy thinks they're safe.
chet98
AG
planoaggie123 said:

chet98 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Just amazing.

I welcome debate. Don't look at it as a fight.

I am not a scientist nor do I pretend to be one. You start talking about DNA / cells....you lost me

Thankfully my wife and I and our kids have almost zero risk from COVID so I can wait around to learn more. My parents are older and got the shot and largely at this point I am glad they did.

My basis in my decision is based on raw data that I can digest (# deaths by age / cases) and I see my risk level as VERY low (not zero but very low).

As for your specific question....I guess I don't know why the impacts of this would be any different between the two....I just get confused when we are told to TRUST there are NO long term implications but at the same time we don't know the short term impacts of the shot. Its confusing how we are seemingly more confident in the LT vs the ST.

Maybe there is a very reasonable explanation but my initial reaction is "...huh?"

Fair view points and an interesting perspective...LT vs ST.

I grew up in a medical household. My father was a family doc and mother a RN so I guess I implicitly trust medical folks. As a doc trained in the early 70's one of my dad's favority lines, said only somewhat in jest, was "Better living through chemistry". Maybe its a somewhat nave perspective on my part but I pretty much RAN to the vaccination sites once they opened eligibility to folks like me. Practically no questions asked.

I guess we all need to look at all of this from each other's perspective more. Could probably say that about many more things in this world!
KidDoc
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Just amazing.

Long term effects of vaccines generally are unheard of. I have no concerns about long term effects of mRNA vaccine just short term.

Traditional vaccines typically are > 5 years phase 3 to determine duration of efficacy and booster schedule. Emergency use authorization bypassed that 5 year phase.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gordo14
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Just because it makes money doesn't make it wrong. This is like Bernie Sanders level of critical thought.
KidDoc
AG
Agsrback12 said:

Do you have any reservations about the 6 month timeline that it took to produce this vaccine? Any concerns over mRNA?
Zero concerns. mRNA has been used for over 10 years in other treatments and tech and the vaccine use of mRNA has been in development for a long time, just hard to find investors until the government guaranteed cash.

RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

Quote:

Successful application of modified nucleosides as a medium to get mRNA inside cells without setting off the body's defense system was reported in 2005.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_vaccine#cite_note-Verbeke_2019-3][3][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_vaccine#cite_note-26][26][/url] The companies, BioNTech in 2008 and Moderna in 2010, were started to develop mRNA biotechnologies.
Agsrback12
Thanks. Pfizer or Moderna?
KidDoc
AG
Agsrback12 said:

Thanks. Pfizer or Moderna?
Moderna based on efficacy data vs Delta in the last few weeks.
WES2006AG
AG
Just got back from getting my 3rd shot booster of Moderna at HEB. I am an immunocompromised transplant patient so it was a no brainer for me. Not looking forward to the side effects that will likely be here in the next several hours but glad to get the booster before school starts.
FlyRod
KidDoc what are your own thoughts on how long you think 2 shot efficacy lasts? Do you think those of us at 6 months are fine until the 8 month booster? Guessing your are voraciously consuming the research as it hits so curious what you think.

And apologies if you already addressed this in another thread.
12thAngryMan
AG
As a young, healthy and initially vaccine hesitant person, part of the reason I decided to bite the bullet and get it was the assertion that most long-term side effects in medicine come from repeated use/exposure. Hopefully this is one booster and done, otherwise that argument goes out the window...
Nasreddin

It used to be so easy to post images here. I guess I need to buy a star
RockOn
Apparently Gov. Abbott thought it was a good idea to go ahead and get his vaccine booster.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-gov-greg-abbott-tests-positive-covid-n1277021

Quote:

Abbott has told people he received a third booster dose of a vaccine, two sources said.

KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

KidDoc what are your own thoughts on how long you think 2 shot efficacy lasts? Do you think those of us at 6 months are fine until the 8 month booster? Guessing your are voraciously consuming the research as it hits so curious what you think.

And apologies if you already addressed this in another thread.

I'm not convinced yet but they haven't shared the data yet. I don't know if this is based on falling titers over time or break through cases or both. I think the CDC/FDA are pushed to err in the side of caution while Moderna and Pfizer want to sell more product so you come to this mutual "sure why not" decision. I'm about 7 months since my 2nd Moderna and I'm in no hurry at this point. I'm hoping for a delta variant booster in the near future instead.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.